Ikna

lost.fm

I finally was able to leave them some in-depth feedback about all of the features I liked that are not working anymore, or were just removed completely with this new version. This really sucks. :(

It's taken away a lot of my data on artists and scrobbles. My artist count and my scrobble count are not correct anymore, but my recently scrobbled stuff is? I can't change my display photo (it chose some sort of photo i used a long time ago) and the over all layout is so huge and bulky it's rather annoying to look at and scroll through. Contemplating actually just abandoning the site all together at this point.

EDIT: THEY SWITCHED THE FRIEND SYSTEM TO A FUCKING FOLLOW SYSTEM. 

BYE LAST.FM. DON'T TRY TO BE MUSICAL TWITTERGRAM THANKS.

Maybe this website should get their own copy of last.fm focused on Asian artists? What last.fm did was shitting all over themselves, I can't even look at that site now... but the database of small vkei bands was very useful. I found a script that downloads your last.fm scrobbles when you want to move them somewhere else, but I didn't try it, so I don't know if it works... It would be nice to have an alternative site, with better tags and no need to use unicode.

Their staff deleted their Twitter support account! :(

It used to be https://twitter.com/lastfmsupportbut they deleted it about 8 hours ago and now the name is in use by some joker. So don't be fooled, it's not official anymore.

They deleted, that strange... Maybe they are 99,9% tired of the users complain about their new fail system.

Btw, they are using @lastfm to try give some support.

To be fair, the way the charts are like now (like spread-sheet data, not your library) look a hell of a lot better. Plus, there seems to be promise of cool data visualizations, which I am very into. I also really like their alignment of the content in the footer, and the added tabs on an artist page was a smart move on their part instead of having all of the content hidden behind a "read more" link.

Also spitefully cackling at them changing their image ratios because no the images with the 30% distortion at the bottom are useless. Fuck those people, tbh, because they don't upload the un-edited versions and it messes up history in sense having only butchered band pictures long after some no-name band is gone.

However, none of this is enough of a silver lining for what happened to the rest of the site.

1.) They didn't make the artist boxes on the home page a fixed size. I get that some artists have super long titles (such as Deshabillz' "酔生夢死~無常の風は時を選ばず…朽ちるならそのまま従う事はない…合縁奇縁はセンスの相違。~"), but that's why god invented an ellipses (...). Now it makes the grid that flows on the home page disjointed when clearly they were trying to go for structured.

2.) They didn't really improve features people vocalized wanting improved. A lot of people want the ability to differentiate from different artists without having to resort to full-width characters, and in some cases, half-width unicode characters (in case two bands use the same name in katakana, as shown here). Having minimal database experience, I cannot say what sort of effort it would take to actually do this, but I don't think it's as easy as a lot of people are assuming it is. HOWEVER, people have been asking for it for _years_, so beginning the effort to do this, or plan out at least a draft of some sort of solution, would have been wise.

This reminds me of my first Boston apartment. Instead of fixing holes in the wall, or chunks of wood missing from the door, or hell, even the nails sticking out of the doorknob, the landlord just painted over it all with thick paint. Last.fm just did the same thing--instead of fixing a lot of problems, they just painted over them and hoped people would stop pricking their fingers on the nails that were jutting out.

3. / 2-b.)They removed features in an iron curtain fashion. Like journals, for example. Gone. I'm not super upset about this, although I did lose my year-end ratings list and my running CD collection list, but both can be remade someday if I really want to put my mind to it. But, I know a lot of people used to add journals of their experiences somewhat frequently and it would have been nice to have legacy access to them. This bullet wasn't meant to be specifically about the journal issue, but it is a fairly glaring example of features they didn't refactor but rather terminated. Sometimes there is definitely a need for it, as features go unused and just clutter up space for users, but there is a different connotation and reception when aforementioned axed interactions were actually user generated content.

4.) Why are you pushing a live site to production and still calling it a "beta?" Girl. You're not done, you clearly still have bugs because there are little apology messages everywhere, and you only let subscribers use it for a few months before but didn't really change...much? Having used the beta-beta before the production-beta (????) I'm not really sure what the difference is, because all the disabled features of the prior are still disabled in the latter.

5.) They're still not being bought out by Spotify. It's competing with the same market and you sell your data to record labels to give them context on who likes what, so why not just horizontally integrate and have one bigger pool of content that takes into account everyone? I suppose this isn't really Last.fm's fault, but just throwing in my two cents here.

6.) They changed the scale of the charts. I'm trying to look to see what they changed to (I think they changed it to total listens instead of total listeners), but I'm getting a 500 error because it blew up. Womp womp. Thinking about it a little more, this is how the charts should have been anyway, since idgaf if 504 people listen to Versailles' "Zombie" when "Ascendead Master" was actually scrobbled 10,000 times this week. I'm crossing my fingers for an option to toggle between both views.

7.) This is something I just noticed, but they're trying to go for a 'single-page-app' feel but it isn't a single page app at all. Can't tell if it's just because they designed it to imply it will work like a modern web app but didn't know how to actually make one, or they made everything a new page to get more hits for SEO / more burger $$money$$ from ads. 

I am not sure of what's going on right now, but the Last.fm client has also launched a new authentification application that needs to be activated on the website. Whereas the authentification process is currently disabled on the website, I can no longer log in on the client and link my account. More issues arise.

I am not sure of what's going on right now, but the Last.fm client has also launched a new authentication application that needs to be activated on the website. Whereas the authentication process is currently disabled on the website, I can no longer log in on the client and link my account. More issues arise.

That is incredibly shortsighted on their part. I would say "hopefully they can resolve this soon" but they have so many more pressing issues to solve at the moment that this extra issue can be that final blow for lots of people. This issue takes away what little functionality is left atm.

The part that baffles me the most, besides the fact that it sucks, is that they released it with NO FUNCTIONALITY.  Like,what even is that. WHY.

The part that baffles me the most is that the beta worked before they forced it on everyone. It was ugly but it worked. What the fuck did you do to break everything Last.fm...

The about me is back again, but limited to 200 characters…

Hopefuly the other features will return soon too. Scrobbling works for me fine, thankfully.

Individuality is scary, didn't you know this? :oshi:

Also "hey, I see you like The Beatles! Well, we got similar artists to browse through! WOW! Here, have every single member of the band with their solo careers and here have some Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd because I BET these are all new to you!"

If only you could click ahead to page 2, 3, 6, 14... you could actually get somewhere. God damn it last.fm you ruined everything.

Even Spotify(!!!) has a better recommended artists section (='explore' tab) now.

Individuality is scary, didn't you know this? :oshi:

Also "hey, I see you like The Beatles! Well, we got similar artists to browse through! WOW! Here, have every single member of the band with their solo careers and here have some Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd because I BET these are all new to you!"

If only you could click ahead to page 2, 3, 6, 14... you could actually get somewhere. God damn it last.fm you ruined everything.

Even Spotify(!!!) has a better recommended artists section (='explore' tab) now.

Congratulations! You just alerted me to another feature that's gone missing. Maybe it's in the list of everything else that's not here but I didn't see it on Lestat's list soo...

Last.fm, do one of you mind explaining in 200 characters or less why the ability to select the artists that appear on your profile is gone? Before the beta you had the option of showing ranges by days, weeks, months, all time, or custom. Custom is now missing. Even if you go clicking on the gear icon to get more options, the interface just presents the same options to you in a bigger window, like "yes this is really all there is". This isn't a case of a feature that's broken that needs to be fixed. This was a conscious decision to remove a feature for the sake of removing a feature. What the hell...

I think they just need to admit that the update was a bad move and go back to last update lol. The new update will make them lost a lot of accounts/subscribers. 

somehow I see them continuing to be stubborn jerks about it, just like they refused to do anything about the other problems users have been complaining about for two years or so. i saw some of the replies on their Twitter account and they're basically saying it will take weeks and months to finish the site and get all the "features" up or back up. =/