Ikna

lost.fm

As someone who only buys Apple products, I do agree that iTunes is shit and the scrobbler has issues (works when it wants to) but there really isn't a good alternative in terms of a multimedia library that not only stores your music but your shows, movies and podcasts as well.

3 hours ago, Furik said:

As someone who only buys Apple products, I do agree that iTunes is shit and the scrobbler has issues (works when it wants to) but there really isn't a good alternative in terms of a multimedia library that not only stores your music but your shows, movies and podcasts as well.

XMBC/Kodi maybe? I don't use it myself, but I hear it's the way to go as far as multimedia libraries and sharing over networks, etc. lot's of work to get all your stuff organized properly tho I hear.

Edited by Original Saku

My main problem is that I want to scrobble from my ipod since I listen to most of my music when I'm outside. 

I don't know of any other player that does that kind of thing. 

iTunes is convenient but I wish I didn't get prompted to update it every fucking day.  What are all these updates for anyway? The surface gets worse every time. 

I recognize that iTunes has many faults, but I've used it to manage my music library for probably 10+ years. iTunes also has a lot of data I actually use, like play counts, ratings, "last played" time stamps, playlists, auto-updating playlists, and so on. I can't be bothered to figure out if/how I can transfer that data to another player.

I have not had any issues with the last.fm official scrobbler for years. I play a song, it scrobbles, everything is fine.

As for scrobbling from mobile devices... when I was using an iPhone, I used CloudScrob ($0.99 CAD) with the default music player. There are probably better options out there now. CloudScrob was a bit flaky. I currently scrobble from my Android phone with zero issues, using "Simple Last.fm" scrobbler and Rocket Player (both are free). I also paid $6.99 CAD for iSyncr, which syncs iTunes playlists to my phone and reports play counts/ratings/time stamps back to iTunes. Overpriced, but it keeps my data accurate, and saves me time and headaches so whatever.

Edited by peffy

On 9/15/2016 at 5:50 PM, Original Saku said:

ITunes is shit.  Use something else.  Problem solved. 

This. Also all iMac products imo

4 hours ago, sume7 said:

This. Also all iMac products imo

They wouldn't be so bad if they weren't extravagantly expensive. But, supply and demand and Apple makes the only computers that run a legal version of OSX, so they can charge whatever they want and people will love it :/

Please 

can we have the last of years ago back. 

I miss it so much. Just changed computers and forgot the password to my account, but it's just not worth it to try to remember which email I used for it and try to reclaim it. I'm debating whether to make a new one or not and trying to ignore all the voices in my head saying "what for." I've actually made an actual friend through last.fm back in the day; now it's a ghost town. All the days spent looking at charts and reading through shit like the degbox... oh...

3 hours ago, Disposable said:

Please 

can we have the last of years ago back. 

I miss it so much. Just changed computers and forgot the password to my account, but it's just not worth it to try to remember which email I used for it and try to reclaim it. I'm debating whether to make a new one or not and trying to ignore all the voices in my head saying "what for." I've actually made an actual friend through last.fm back in the day; now it's a ghost town. All the days spent looking at charts and reading through shit like the degbox... oh...

Bruh, me and @Chi were literally just talking about this. I randomly came across a screencap JUST LAST NIGHT of my old last.fm, and funnily enough, I believe that's one of your accounts under "friends listening now", heh. I miss that feature!

4E1unIS.png

I only got into last.fm several months before it went down the shitter and even I miss it. The only use it really has to me is a place to upload album art (haha).

god i wish i could've joined that site when it was in its prime, but i joined at the end of 2016 when everything had already gone to shit... but tbh, the only reason i got it in the first place was to keep track of my own personal listening statistics, and so far i haven't been disappointed with those features. but it's really interesting to see what could have been if i joined a few years ago ://

also what @sheepprincessgarasaid... i actually manage to use it for that these days, too

Edited by itsukoii

last fm was also easily the best site to search for concerts in an area. all the other options these days are so shit that you just have to either remember all the bands you listen to and go to their OHP, or know all the venues in town and check their sites. sincerely die a painful death everyone involved in ruining last.fm

I was just messing around on my profile and found out that you can now set a track as your current obsession. Obviously that's just a little thing and it won't bring back the glory days of ol' last.fm but I thought it was neat.

The reason I dig this addition is that way you can also change the artist banner under your name and avatar.

Edited by indigo

On 7/17/2017 at 2:24 PM, itsukoii said:

god i wish i could've joined that site when it was in its prime, but i joined at the end of 2016 when everything had already gone to shit... but tbh, the only reason i got it in the first place was to keep track of my own personal listening statistics, and so far i haven't been disappointed with those features. but it's really interesting to see what could have been if i joined a few years ago ://

also what @sheepprincessgarasaid... i actually manage to use it for that these days, too

and even that was better back in the day! When they gave it a facelift, they took out a bunch of old features they thought no one used. One of my favorite things that's now all but useless was the last.fm playground, which was a site with a bunch of tools and aggregation options built by last.fm to display music stats to you in different ways (and there was also a track undeleter in there somewhere). Normalisr is another plugin I missed a lot and it would rank your music played by minutes listened rather than times listened.

Fuckin hell if last.fm was really going to break their site so bad I wish they did it in a dimension people cared about, such as fixing how you quantify a listen or how artists are categorized and pages generated. The UI was the absolute last thing I would have suggested to change back in the day.