Sign in to follow this  
CAT5

Monochrome Heaven's Top 25 Tracks of 2014

Monochrome Heaven's Top 25 Tracks of 2014

Presenting The Top 25 Tracks of 2014 as voted by our Official Reviewers and staff members. Any Japanese song released in 2014 was eligible, although our primary focus was on J-rock.

TAMTAM - "シューゲイズ"

albumartist

TAMTAM has always been hit or miss for me. Shoegaze (シューゲイズ) is an example of them being absolutely on point with their mix of electronic and pop sound with dub/reggae flavor. The track start beautifully with a somber sounding trumpet solo which leads in to a down tempo track which highlights the vocalist's strong but beautiful vocal. The overall package feels like a strong dose of nostalgia layered over a groovy beat and I dig the hell out of it.

- @Ito

宇宙コンビニ (uchu conbini) - ­ 光の加減で話した (Hikari no Kagen de Hanashita)

albumartist

宇宙コンビニ (uchu konbini [space Convenience Store]) are...or rather, I should say "were" an indie band who's music was incredibly complex, yet so peaceful, it's astounding. 光の加減で話した appropriately showcases what this band was all about--brisk guitar sweeps, gentle drumming, and soft, lulling vocals that all come together in a mathy, yet dreamy, sound. It's unfortunate that this band has broken up, as their sound is truly special. If you're ever in need of some chill music to just relax to or have playing in the background, definitely consider taking 月の反射でみてた for a spin.

- @Peace Heavy mk II

シナリオアート (Scenarioart) ­- "アオイコドク" (Aoi Kodoku)

albumartist

Scenarioart have a knack for crafting majestic pop songs that are extremely dynamic. This single from their 2014 mini-album Tokyomelancholy is no exception. Try to keep up with drummer Kumiko's and guitarist Kousuke's interweaving vocal harmonies, as they soar over a sea of tight basslines, synth flourishes, and uplifting pop-rock. "aoi kodoku" lays out exactly what Scenarioart's style is all about. Are you ready for the ride?

- @fitear1590

DIR EN GREY -­ "懐春 (kaishun)"

albumartist

Dim, pulsating, atmoshperic ballads are nothing new in the face of DIR EN GREY's 18 year old discography, but "kaishun", from their latest album "ARCHE", is particularly convincing. The track oozes back and forth between moments of faint sludgy-ness and mysterious post-rock riffage, while Kyo leads the way with his signature croon; giving a performance that's relatively tame, but perfectly penned. The biggest selling to point to this song, however, is the chorus? with it's marching band-like drumming and almost mathy guitar interplay. It's distinct and memorable, yet blends perfectly with the rest of the song. "Kaishun" won't easily be "obscure"d amidst DIR EN GREY's formidable backlog. (see what I did there?)

- @CAT5

LLLL -­ "Oddness"

albumartist

LLLL creates an dark atmosphere with their downbeat electronic sound that sometimes boarders on psychedelic. Oddness features these elements heavy amidst it's pulsing beat. But what really sets this track apart (and really most of LLLL's songs) is its fragile nature. The vocalist's voice tickles the upper register, almost like a whisper. Oddness feels like walking along a dark alleyway light by neon lights, it is both dark and grimy and modern and vibrant at the same time.

- @Ito

BACK­-ON -­ "セルリアン (cerulean)"

albumartist

Possibly my favorite anime OP from 2014 and from one of my favorite anime of 2014 as well, 'Cerulean' is everything that I've come to expect from a BACK-ON anime Opening theme. It's catchy almost to a fault and has an undeniable hype feeling surrounding the song progression. I know most people probably won't think this is best track of the year material, and most people probably won't feel the same way about it as I do without watching and being emotionally invested in the Mobile Suit Gundam series like I am. When I listen to this song I feel a sense of satisfaction and a nostalgic feeling that can only be explained through the content the song was meant for. 'Cerulean' does an amazing job at fitting the series it was written for and because of that I love it to death, Give it a try and you might be surprised at how much this tune can grow on you, I know I was.

- @Original Saku

101A ­- "Forbidden Sky"

albumartist

Haunting, ephemeral post rock music has always been 101A's forte. forbidden sky encapsulates the heart of their sound perfectly. It's easy - perhaps a little too easy - to lose your train of thought while listening to this. It manages to be tender and melancholic whilst also being abrasive and distant. These paradoxical qualities have always formed the core of the three-piece ensemble's sound, but it's never sounded so complete. forbidden sky was one of the most addictive shoegaze songs of 2014 for me, and the album 0号室の旅人 is some of 101A's most challenging, compelling material to date.

- @Zeus

DIV ­- "漂流彼女 (hyouryuu kanojo)"

albumartist

While DIV's fanbase seems to polarize with each new release, "hyouryuu kanojo" might be their very best song for me. It's special to me, because it's living proof that DIV has so much creativity to offer in the synth department; their lackluster synth work on their debut mini-album is what kept me from being a fan initially. The "spacey" sound that is embodied in this atmospheric track is exactly the kind of fresh influence that makes DIV one of the more intriguing bands in the VK scene right now. Listen and just float away.

- @fitear1590

PLASTICZOOMS ­- "Sleepwalker"

albumartist

Having spun PLASTICZOOMS' latest release continously ever since including them in my EOTYL, I've become increasingly addicted to track six, "Sleepwalker." It took a while, but the fondness grew with each and every listen and "Sleepwalkers" became my number one PLASTICZOOMS song not so long after. The track has a certain buildup that sounds mysterious and eerie, while also keeping an oldish electronic beat to it which is very similar to their other mini-album stand out songs like "Illumination." This makes for a lovely contrast to the chorus, which is my favourite few seconds of the entire mini-album. With an undenirably smooth and romantic tone to it, the beat alters entirely into a flurry of electronic currents as we're taken away by Sho's honest and touching vocals and lyrics. This is a truly mesmerising piece.

-

ねごと (NEGOTO) -­ "黄昏のラプソディ (tasogare no rhapsody)"

albumartist

What NEGOTO excels at most at is balance. Time and again, they tread the line masterfully between poppy/technical, quirky/accessible, cute/heartfelt, etc. "Tasogare no rhapsody," one half of their wildly successful double A-side single, is a prime example of NEGOTO at work. While one of the main draws of the band is their playful keys (on this song, even with a jazzy tinge!) by vocalist Sachiko, vibrant bass lines, crisp drumming, and quasi math-poppy guitar riffs help paint the picture, highlighting all the members throughout the track. They've been kicking ass since 2010 and there doesn't seem to be any sign of slowing down!

- @fitear1590

sow ­- "to growth, for growth"

albumartist

To growth, for growth is by no means an original song. It feels like this could have been a left over song from toe's latest CD, and that is by no means a bad thing. While the drumming maybe lacks a little of Takashi's magic, the same vibe that makes toe's music so special is in full force in this sow track. So much passion seems to be poured in to this instrumental piece without ever feeling overbearing or forced. The from the acoustic guitar to the drums to the piano, each instrument seems to shine in it's own way. Something about how this song plays out just makes me feel warm inside, like I am recalling a memory of a warm summer's night shared with friends I haven't seen in years. I know this song has truly gotten me when when the hiss of the last cymbal fades out and the goosebumps crawl wash across my skin.

- @Ito

TK from 凛として時雨 (ling tosite sigure) -­ "unravel"

albumartist

An acquired taste this song is or rather TK's vocals are to be more exact. 'Unravel' is an aural assault on your ears for almost four minutes with an intensity that I love from TK's solo work, an intensity that I hope to hear more of from him in the future. The song starts off rather tame with vocals that match the tempo and then little by little the song starts to speed up until the boiling point at about the halfway mark, then the song explodes in a flurry of rage that I like to call the TK effect. After this outburst the song try's to regain it's composure but never really returns to the tempo from the beginning of the song. In this sense the name 'unravel' is quite appropriate as the title since the way the song progresses gives off the feeling of something being "unraveled" or "undone" or at least I get that feeling while listening to it. Overall this is one of my favorite songs from 2014 and one that I will continue coming back to throughout the future.

- @Original Saku

DIR EN GREY -­ "輪郭 (rinkaku)"

albumartist

'輪郭' features some of Dir en Grey's best instrumental work over the years. The guitars flow in and out of a variety of play-styles keeping things interesting, and the bass and drums add a layer of deepness to the overall lightness of the song. At times the song can sound as depressing as a dirge and at others like an uplifting melody. But, it's all under the same vein and fits together very well. Kyo's vocals, while strangely minimal here, are very memorable and leave a lasting impression. Definitely one of Dir en Grey's finest works.

-

tayuta ­- "夢見た 蒼 (yumemita ao)"

albumartist

Tayuta is a young, up and coming band signed to Zankyo records (a Japanese indie label highly touted for their musical prowess and ingenuity), and although they may not be as innovative as some of their labelmates, they're one of the most promising acts. "yumemita ao", released on Zankyo's 4th and latest compilation, is a considerable showing of the band's talents. It's a sprawling track that evolves from an airy, math-rock groove to a post-rockish roar. The band's vocalist also has one of the more impressive set of pipes that you'll hear in the Japanese indie world (aka he actually sounds like his balls have dropped). Fantastic track and a definite band to watch.

- @CAT5

八十八ヶ所巡礼 (88kasyo junrei) -­ "攻撃的国民的音楽 (kougeki teki kokumin teki ongaku)"

albumartist

88Kasyo Junrei's forte has always been producing an astoundingly dense, technical sound for a trio. The title/PV track of their latest album begins with a striking intro: ominous guitar riffs and creeping bass licks. Vocalist Margaret's typical yelpy delivery is in full effect and the music gets especially groovy towards the middle of the track. While the band never goes too awful far out of the box they have forged for themselves, it should be mentioned that said box is literally in outer space, compared to most other music. "Kougeki teki kokumin teki ongaku" is a loud, cracked out, distortion-filled jam fest that only this band could have created.

- @fitear1590

Mono -­ "Recoil, Ignite"

albumartist

The shining jewel of a song between both albums released in 2014, it's the raw and unrestrained Mono I haven't heard since "One More Step And You Die". They were always at their most emotional when it's just them, and Recoil, Ignite swoops in and devastates your emotions. As the song grows larger and fiercer, it transitions from a song into an experience. It's the spiritual successor to the legendary Com(?), expressing so much without speaking a single word. This is everything I love about post-rock wrapped up into one fourteen minute package and my only regret is that it leaves me wanting more.

- @Zeus

和楽器バンド (Wagakki Band) -­ "千本桜 (Senbonzakura)"

albumartist

"Senbonzakura" stands tall as Wagakki Band's shot heard 'round the world. The stars aligned and Wagakki Band found themselves as the right band, with the right sound, song, and timing to explode onto the scene. Not only has this song become massively popular due to its volcaloid background and lyrical content, but Wagakki Band's artistry and strong traditional image pushed it to new heights. This rendition was easily one of the most memorable songs of the year with an orchestra of instruments working together; Taiko and snare drums support electric guitars that harmonize with shamisen and koto, further complimented with whimsical flute and powerful vocals to top the entire outfit off. The group culminates into something beautifully complex at the crossroads of traditionally Japanese and globally modern. If you've been too busy to listen to an equally amazing album from this band, I implore you to spend the next four and a half minutes to find out why you needed this song in your life.

-

DIR EN GREY ­- "phenomenon"

albumartist

"phenomenon" is phenomenal. The steady and creepy repetition of the band playing keeps this a grippy listen until the chorus kicks in with such elegance and energy. Followed by a short but impressive instrumental break, the high vocalisation by Kyo before the chorus starts really hightens the whole atmosphere of not only "phenomenon," but the whole of 'ARCHE.' The track really stood out to me after giving the album a thorough listen and really captures the intense and gloomy feel of the release due to the depressing tune of both instruments and Kyo's ever changing vocals. The overall dark and spooky mood of "phenomenon" is masterfully done and will surely get you hooked. Who could be surprised when it's DIR EN GREY we're talking about? A tune not to have been missed!

-

la la larks -­ "end of refrain"

albumartist

I can't express how happy I am to hear Yumi's voice and music again. 'end of refrain' has that classic School Food Punishment sound of electronics, rock, and pop. The upbeat tempo and cheerful melodies are infectious and I find myself humming along as I listen. You'll hear so many different sounds through out the song: a blip here, a sequence of electronic notes there, a muted acoustic guitar cadence, or the distorted whirl of a synth. It's fun hearing something new on every listen. Another thing I love is how the band experimented with panning.There are many instances where they'll alternate the melody of instruments from left to right or have a sound pan across. It's a simple tool but it adds a bit of depth. It's great to hear that SFP sound re-incarnated into Yumi's new band and I can't wait for a new release.

-

黒百合と影 (Kuroyuri to Kage) - "「浴槽」 (yokusou)"

albumartist

黒百合と影 are a new band signed to -Ains-. Like their label-mates Grieva and Gossip, they, too, were a band that broke up to shortly reform with more or less the same members but completely different concept and aesthetic. During 2014, the band released several live distributed singles to generate some hype for their upcoming album (eventually releasing a collection single of all three songs as well). 「浴槽」was one of these songs. What drew me to this song was how dynamic it is: while it's not exactly as blatant cut+paste "inspiration" that -Ains- is somewhat infamous for, there are a lot of turn of the century influences going on here and it almost reminds me a bit of Mucc. Here you'll find some Middle Eastern derived guitar riffs, dark motifs, and a bit of kyopera that actually isn't atrocious. If you've enjoyed this, definitely be sure to keep an eye out for their upcoming album.

- @Peace Heavy mk II

アルルカン (arlequin) ­- "墓穴 (hakaana)"

albumartist

墓穴 almost immediately became song of the year for me after the first listen. I've been a fan of Arlequin since their first demo and have enjoyed their progress, but this was the first time I really felt wowed by their music. Here you can find lots of quirky metal-core, mixed with super poppy and infectious choruses. What makes this stand out from the countless other examples of these same thing is that it is actually executed well in such a professional manner. I really enjoy the sing-song chorus as well as the guitar solo the mimics the main theme with absolutely perfect phrasing into the last refrain of the song. I'll admit, their album was a bit lack-luster. However, it is important to keep in mind that the reason it was a few degrees below most people's expectations was because it just could not compare to the quality found in this song.

- @Peace Heavy mk II

mothercoat - "trickster"

albumartist

mothercoat have been going strong since 2002, yet somewhere along the way, international Japanese-indie fans forgot to pass along the memo to younger generations. This was perhaps one of the many fatals errors that left fans praising thinly-veiled, pedestrian pop-rock bands like indigo la end and KANA-BOON as the "it" bands of Japanese indie. But regardless of international/online perception, the creative, DIY-spirited facets of J-indie are still alive and well, and mothercoat has been a constant flag-bearer for them. "trickster", from their latest EP, is a fun track with trippy rhythms, jubilating guitar riffs and playful male/female vocals. It's a masterfully written song that perfectly meshes skill and creativity with accessibility.

- @CAT5

Boris -­ "雨 (ame)"

albumartist

Not only is 雨 (official English translation is 'Heavy Rain') one massive song, it's also an apt description of Boris' sound. 雨 drones onward for six minutes, led forward by the sound of light rainfall, feedback, and the solid wall of lo-fi low-end that can only be described as Takashi. 雨 can be as peaceful as a spring shower and as tempestuous as a raging storm. The atmosphere throughout is simply massive, and Wata's gentle vocals contrasts nicely with the metal to lend the song a dreamlike vibe. Certainly one of the most accessible drone songs I've ever heard in my life, and it's only something Boris could conjure.

- @Zeus

THE NOVEMBERS -­ "Rhapsody in beauty"

albumartist

The title track of THE NOVEMBERS' latest album is one of the major highlights, if not the most appealing track, of the entire album. Already having been featured on the ChristMHas list, 'Rhapsody in beauty' continues to impress. The most predominant feature of the guitar bellowing which sounds like a siren that continuously goes off throughout really allows this track to shine and grab attention. Kobayashi hits those high notes as the chorus strikes with such grace, as well as concluding the track with a piercing wail, all while holding onto us in this fantastical shoegaze dream that ends all too quickly. It's a treat for the ears and really shows us just how accessible and enjoyable said genre can be. Let your imagination run while with THE NOVEMBERS on this one!

-

sukekiyo ­- "Aftermath"

albumartist

The first time I heard this song I was blown away, and the subsequent listens are no different. While there were a lot of cool songs on Immortalis, aftermath still stood out as something special. It's atmosphere is dark yet comforting and the tempo so laid back that you'll find yourself in a relaxed stupor. The composition flows perfectly from beginning to end like a clean, single pour of water into a glass. But, my favorite part is the mid-section were the tempo picks up and almost becomes a fun jazzy track. It doesn't last long, but that little bit of variety adds so much color. 'aftermath' is a lovely somber track that stands among one of my favorite songs of all time.

-

I have mixed feelings towards this list personally. I feel some tracks definitely deserve their places (perhaps not in the same order, but at least within the top 25 itself), such as Rhapsody in beauty, 懐春, and 光の加減で話した, but at the same time there are some tracks on here that I feel are rather overrated; particularly unravel (which I personally consider to be one of TK's weakest compositions) and phenomenon. Then again, such is the nature of subjectivity, I doubt anyone will completely agree with everything on the list. Still, I appreciate the work that you guys put into it.

I don't think this list was meant to be the be-all-end-all list of THE BEST songs, but more of a collection of songs that the review staff really liked. To shed some light on the process of how we got to this point, all organized by everyone's favorite feline: everyone had to come up with a list of 15 songs from this year. From there, the participants were asked to listen to all of them and pick at least 2 from every list up until we all had a total of 25 songs. You could not vote for songs you picked unless someone else also selected that track and you were also not allowed to pick songs from the same artist twice (trust me, there were at least 5 different options from Arche present).

From there, the end list was compiled by how many times each song was voted on by the number of people who placed it in their list of 25. The results were as shown above-- a little bit from everyone's list, sometimes reflecting their personalities and tastes, and sometimes not just because of how the votes resolved (i.e.: was not expecting that Uchuu song to be selected from my list, but here we are!).

Worry not: we definitely know there are plenty of other fantastic songs from 2014 and I don't think any one person agreed with this list wholeheartedly, but this was the result of the most democratic solution amongst 9 people on a super subjective topic :) Thank you for the feed back!

We need a recount

Are you saying and I can't count? ಠ_ಠ lol jk

Nah, seriously, seeing how this turned out, I'm pretty positive about releasing lists in the future. We could do a TOP 50 next year and just release it in 2 parts, or even a top 100 in 4 parts if we have the manpower. I think userbase would be much more satisfied with those ; )

Also, huuuge thanks for putting me on to 黒百合と影. That is, hands down, my favorite discovery from this list! Very cool track that kind of feels me with the wonder I felt back when I first discovered VK.

The first stage was hard enough as it was lol. x'D Not a long enough list! : P Real happy to see a response, appreciations and, of course, the lulz from you guys. ='D Had a great time and looking foward to future activities. Also, I hope the list was helpful to members and visitors. Thanks for looking.

Well, I was looking for all the songs mentioned here. As someone said, I have mixed feelings. Some songs here are awesome to me, and I love them, and many others I didn't hear before- I'm downloading them right now XD- ... Anyway I really liked the list displays variety, which is nice to me because we can look for another bands <3. 

Well, until now, I just can say Great job guys!

some of songs are originally not 2014 songs or I was mistaken ?

What songs in this list do you identify as not being released in 2014? Easy mix up on both sides either way.

Sign in to follow this