Sign in to follow this  
CAT5

The 凛として時雨 (ling tosite sigure) / TK from 凛として時雨 Thread

凛として時雨 (ling tosite sigure)

Xy4ZT9a.jpg

凛として時雨 (Ling Tosite Sigure, aka Rin Toshite Shigure) is a Japanese rock band from Saitama, formed in 2002. Rin Toshite Shigure is the conventional Hepburn romanization of the bands name. However, the band uses the Kunrei-shiki romanization Ling Tosite Sigure on their website, albums, and other materials. The band’s name means “A frigid autumn’s rain shower.”

Their music style is aggressive, fast-paced rock with rapid changes of tempo and mood reminiscent of styles as diverse as progressive rock, post-hardcore, post-rock, and funk. They utilize both male and female vocals ranging from soft singing to loud wails and screams. As of 2013, they’ve released five full-length albums, an EP, and three singles, as well as various demos. Their latest album, i’mperfect, was released April 10, 2013. It features the single “abnormalize” which was used as the opening theme for the anime Psycho-Pass. This album is also their first to be released in Europe as they signed for distribution with JPU Records in June 2013.

Ling Tosite Sigure has maintained its original lineup of guitarist/vocalist Toru “TK” Kitajima (北嶋徹), bassist/vocalist Miyoko “345” Nakamura (中村美代子), and drummer Masatoshi “Pierre” Nakano (ピエール中野). TK also writes solo music as TK from 凛として時雨; he released his debut album Flowering on June 27, 2012.

Discography

Albums

2005年11月09日 #4

2007年08月22日 Inspiration is DEAD

2009年05月23日 just A moment

2010年09月22日 still a Sigure virgin?

2013年04月10日 i'mperfect

EPs

2006年07月19日 Feeling your UFO

2015年09月02日 es or s

Singles

2008年04月23日 Telecastic fake show

2008年12月24日 moment A rhythm

2012年11月14日 abnormalize

2014年11月05日 Enigmatic Feeling

2015年01月14日 Who What Who What

TK from 凛として時雨

9GiUpPj.jpg

Albums

2012年6月27日 Flowering

2014年8月27日 Fantastic Magic

EPs

2016年03月20日 Secret Sensation

Singles

2014年03月05日 contrast

2014年07月23日 unravel

-----------

I've noticed an increasing amount of ling fans on the forum over the years, and I think it's high time we actually had a topic for one of my favorite bands!

Well, my opinions on Sigure should come as no surprise to you by now. They're one of my favourite bands, even though I've been a slightly disillusioned with their music over the last couple of years. Their recent output hasn't been 'bad' per se, it's just been rather average and uninspired by their standards; as though they've hit some sort of creative burn-out or are simply more emotionally-involved with their solo/side projects. That said, however, average Sigure is still better than what a lot of bands put out.

My favourite albums are still a Sigure virgin? and just A moment, both of which, despite being their first two full-lengths released after signing with the evil Japanese music empire SMEJ, seemed to be much more experimental while still retaining a significant amount of the band's aggressive, rock-based style. In that sense, they feel like the most "complete" Sigure albums to me. I'm a little sad that they reigned in much of their experimental tenancies for i'mperfect and the following singles (also, can they stop with these repetitive anime songs already?), but I guess that's TK from territory these days.

Fun question: Do you guys say "Ling" or "Sigure" when shortening the band's name?

I mention them by LTS or sometimes Sigure

Well, they were my first influence of experimental indie rock when I discovered the japanese indie rock scene. Their music gives me inspiration. Sadly, recently they are overhyped because of anime song. I don't know if they will become more well known or not, I am afraid because of it, their music quality is going down in the future

Fun question: Do you guys say "Ling" or "Sigure" when shortening the band's name?

I just use ling or maybe lts...Idk, i never really thought about it. I guess whatever seems right atm.

Now that the "Who What Who What" single is out, I don't think it's as bad as I originally thought. Though it still pretty forgettable.

The new 2015 mix of "Enigmatic Feeling" has actually done wonders and really brought out the song imo...I've been jamming to it almost nonstop. I'm actually not as scared for their upcoming album now. Although I doubt the new mix will change the mind of anyone who wasn't a fan of "I'mperfect", heh

I'm a total newb but the only reason I started shortening to "Sigure" was because of the Sigure Virgin? album being the first thing I listened to. I see I listened to the wrong album. >->;;

I have a weird relationship with this band.

I love the first half of inspiration is dead... but it's kind of like I don't need anything other than that from them.

I'll queue up a different album and give it a go for a while, but inevitably just say "eh, let's listen to 'knife vacation' again"

Well, my opinions on Sigure should come as no surprise to you by now. They're one of my favourite bands, even though I've been a slightly disillusioned with their music over the last couple of years. Their recent output hasn't been 'bad' per se, it's just been rather average and uninspired by their standards; as though they've hit some sort of creative burn-out or are simply more emotionally-involved with their solo/side projects. That said, however, average Sigure is still better than what a lot of bands put out.

My favourite albums are still a Sigure virgin? and just A moment, both of which, despite being their first two full-lengths released after signing with the evil Japanese music empire SMEJ, seemed to be much more experimental while still retaining a significant amount of the band's aggressive, rock-based style. In that sense, they feel like the most "complete" Sigure albums to me. I'm a little sad that they reigned in much of their experimental tenancies for i'mperfect and the following singles (also, can they stop with these repetitive anime songs already?), but I guess that's TK from territory these days.

I still have so much of their discography to listen to but I'm excited in doing so. I also need to have a ling listening binge when I can! I find them so enjoyable and thrilling, it's difficult for me to say anything bad or point out any flaws about them in general in all honesty. Sure, the vocals are something else but sweet sugar, is that what makes them so captivating! Overall, a very impressive band from the few tracks I've heard of them. (Just the i'mperfect album one tbh x'D)

I mention them by LTS or sometimes Sigure

Well, they were my first influence of experimental indie rock when I discovered the japanese indie rock scene. Their music gives me inspiration. Sadly, recently they are overhyped because of anime song. I don't know if they will become more well known or not, I am afraid because of it, their music quality is going down in the future

To answer Pho3nyx's question, and as probably answered somewhere above with my response, I address them as ling pretty much all the time. The bolded text from both posts are just me admitting that is where I first found them... lol. xD Abnormalize is perfection. Actually, the whole i'mperfect album title gives off the wrong message, it's actually lying itself. Such a flawless album~

I'm a total newb but the only reason I started shortening to "Sigure" was because of the Sigure Virgin? album being the first thing I listened to. I see I listened to the wrong album. >->;;

lol, I don't know if there's a "wrong" album, as I've met different fans who are partial to different releases. It really just depends on your taste. The first 2 albums are the rawest production-wise (#4 and Inspiration is DEAD) - so if you really can't stand the vocals, you might want to come back to those 2 later on. But they also, arguably, boast some of ling's most interesting songwriting.

The 3rd album "just A moment" is their first major album and finally showcases ling with some slick production, in addition to adding some new dynamics to their sound. This is a good place for new fans to start I think. The next album, "still a Sigure virgin?" pushes the bar even further as they continue to expand their sound (some obvious hints at TK's solo work take place here). The vocal mixing is probably the most subdued here than on any other album.

"i’mperfect", the 5th and most recent album, is ling's most straightforward work to date. All of the dynamics and experimentation of the past 2 releases were reigned in, and while that's been an issue for most fans, I actually don't mind "diet-ling" haha. In fact, this is my personal favorite because it emphasizes the qualities I like about ling the most.

Judging from the singles, their next album may very well be a less than stellar repeat of "i’mperfect", but I'm crossing my fingers that it exceeds my expectations.

Also what are everyone's top ling tracks?

It's hard to give a definitive top 10 or anything like that, but the tracks that immediately stand out to me when being asked this are シャンディ (Shandy), moment A rhythm (single/long ver.), eF,  a 7 days wonder, mib126, and Metamorphose.

In reply to CAT5's question~

I will be sure to edit this once I have given all their albums a go because then I bet I'll have a personal top 10 fav song list but, for now, my main stand out track which caught my full attention and the one I continue to repeat most is 'Beautiful Circus.' The opening track to i'mperfect.

My top 5 tracks currently.

#1 - 想像のSecurity

The best Ling riffs are on this song imho.

#2 - I was music

I was music was the first Ling song I got addicted with so that brings some extra value.

#3 - a 7days wonder

that bass. nuff said.

#4 - a symmetry

I love the shoegaze-y wall of noise parts. And that chorus? Fantastic.

#5 - Missing ling

I'm a sucker for songs with just electric guitar+vocals, check, and build-ups to epic climax, check. Not to mention that the guitar-playing here is incredibly emotional.

#bonus pick: ハカイヨノユメ

lol, I don't know if there's a "wrong" album, as I've met different fans who are partial to different releases. It really just depends on your taste. The first 2 albums are the rawest production-wise (#4 and Inspiration is DEAD) - so if you really can't stand the vocals, you might want to come back to those 2 later on. But they also, arguably, boast some of ling's most interesting songwriting.

The 3rd album "just A moment" is their first major album and finally showcases ling with some slick production, in addition to adding some new dynamics to their sound. This is a good place for new fans to start I think. The next album, "still a Sigure virgin?" pushes the bar even further as they continue to expand their sound (some obvious hints at TK's solo work take place here). The vocal mixing is probably the most subdued here than on any other album.

"i’mperfect", the 5th and most recent album, is ling's most straightforward work to date. All of the dynamics and experimentation of the past 2 releases were reigned in, and while that's been an issue for most fans, I actually don't mind "diet-ling" haha. In fact, this is my personal favorite because it emphasizes the qualities I like about ling the most.

Judging from the singles, their next album may very well be a less than stellar repeat of "i’mperfect", but I'm crossing my fingers that it exceeds my expectations.

Thanks for the rundown. I know we've talked about it in chat, but this is a nice drawing board to start from. I downloaded i'mperfect and am looking forward to listening to it sometime soon.

And my comment about the "wrong album" was actually a mistake. Because I misread (I was on mobile) that indigo had placed it as their least favorite right before I posted, but I think they were saying it's their favorite now. XD SO DON'T MIND ME, I CAN'T READ.

To answer Pho3nyx's question, and as probably answered somewhere above with my response, I address them as ling pretty much all the time. The bolded text from both posts are just me admitting that is where I first found them... lol. xD Abnormalize is perfection. Actually, the whole i'mperfect album title gives off the wrong message, it's actually lying itself. Such a flawless album~

no, it's not imperfect, but I'm Perfect. Very honest :D

My fave tracks of them are: Disco Flight, abnormalize, Telecastic Fake Show, I was Music, Metamorphose. Also, the opening song of their album is their best to open up some energy!

Ling has easily become my favorite band and more of recently. Definitely takes some time to warm up to TK and even Mikyoko's vocals, but once you get past that you can start to appreciate Ling a whole lot more. For those reasons I would also recommend to a new fan to start on 'just A Moment' or 'still a Sigure virgin?' as the vocals are a lot more refined probably due to signing on with Sony. Also I feel like that was their pinnacle.

Overall though my favorites are: Souzou no Security (DAT guitar riff), mib126, abnormalize (grew a crazy amount on me), actually I could probably just keep going those two albums are near flawless.

I'm also sitting here going nuts waiting for their Best of Tornado album. D:

Best of Tornado leaked...Although personally, I would have preferred to hear re-recordings, it was still nice to hear some of the older songs with a better mix. A re-recording of "Nakano Kill You" with more pronounced guitar work would have been amazing.

Honestly, I heard that ling were boring live and kinda sounded too similar to they do on record...I also heard that TK and miyoko are kinda withdrawn, while Pierre usually handles the MC'ing. This was many years ago, though (like 2008/2009), so they could have changed since then.

I'm kinda thinking TK's solo would be more interesting to see as opposed to ling, just due to the mere scope of his sound...

Last summer, I checked out their album i'mperfect. Fell in love with Metamorphose, and thought the rest of the album was really cool. But after one listen, I didn't really go back to it, as I directed my attention to other bands that were releasing new stuff, primarily in VK.

Yesterday, I downloaded their Best of Tornado compilation and the Who What Who What single. Listened through the compilation (well, not really listening, but previewing the songs in quick look), and my interest went through the roof. I gotta say though, I'm disappointed that they didn't include a remaster of Ling on the second CD. :(

Today, I listened to the compilation a few times. I am officially sold on this band! So far, I'm really digging Metamorphose, Missing Ling, テレキャスターの真実, 傍観, and I was music (also, funny name). However, I agree that WWWW wasn't too memorable. I guess the next album for me to check out is #4.

Also, does anyone know of any specific release dates of the following releases?

- として

- 鮮やかな殺人

Quick question: What are everybody's thoughts on the original/extended version of moment A rhythm compared to the album/short version? Personally I find it a real shame that the original version seems to have been lost in obscurity with both just A moment and Best of Tornado featuring the short version, combined with the fact that the original single is out of print. It might seem a little out of place amongst the rest of Sigure's work due to it being much more experimental, but I really think that the second half of the original version of the song is one of the most notable moments in their discography. 

#sorrydouble

I CAN NOW DO A TOP 10 8 TRACKS BECAUSE I TECHNICALLY ONLY REALLY HAVE 8 FAVS ATM. Copying @indigo-kun's format. x3 Personal ranking, in order of preference.

#1 - 傍観
The final song they played during the Japan Night concert. It was the only song from the three bands that night that left such an impression on me, so I finally got to it! The quiet verses against the loud chorus is simply stunning, especially the repetitive lyrics. Such a masterpiece of a song, I can't get over how perfect it is.

#2 - a symmetry
Absolutely mesmerising chorus. The hyperactivity of it is gorgeous and so energising. Especially during the whispery parts after that. Just beautiful.

#3 - Beautiful Circus
The first song I ever heard of ling. It's gorgeous, and I thought was really fitting for the song name and ling's sound. The mix of female and male vocals just leaves me breathless in this one.

#4 - Secret G
My favourite, instrumental wise. Really caught me on first listen and is one of the ones I mainly remember off of the top of my head.

#5 - abnormalize
The second song I tried after Beautiful Circus which really got me into them. Their best anime theme song, imo (including TK's solo work). Absolutely incredible when it all heightens at the end! I get tingles all over. I find this the most exhilirating of TK's shrieks in any track. 

#6 - eF
I love acoustic songs, and I get that feeling from 'eF' as soon as it starts. One of their tamer tracks which I like when you compare it to their louder tracks which are the majority of the time.

#7 - Tremelo+A

Really fabulous instrumental parts here and there. Mostly memorable for this. 

#8 - a 7days wonder

Just a really sweet track. Nothing too memorable, but the tempo of it is one I enjoy more so than any other not listed.

This may need some revising but that's it for now. Granted, I need to give earlier albums more of a listen but I've enjoyed what I've finally gotten to.

Quick question: What are everybody's thoughts on the original/extended version of moment A rhythm compared to the album/short version? Personally I find it a real shame that the original version seems to have been lost in obscurity with both just A moment and Best of Tornado featuring the short version, combined with the fact that the original single is out of print. It might seem a little out of place amongst the rest of Sigure's work due to it being much more experimental, but I really think that the second half of the original version of the song is one of the most notable moments in their discography. 

I haven't even given the full song a listen, but I find that unnecessary and disappointing. Especially at seven minutes. Just leave it alone, that's already lengthy as is.

ok, TK's "secret sensation" is out, and I've got a few quick thoughts after my initial listen. Now that I've listened to the title track in full, I like it much better than I did initially. 'subliminal' was surprisingly sick, and easily my favorite on the EP. 'ear+f' is pretty good too. The last two tracks kept this EP from potentially being something special for me, as they're both two piano-based ballads and...I've never been fond of TK's ballads.

With that said, I'm more satisfied with "secret sensation" than I thought I would be, and I'll certainly be jamming to the first three tracks. Those alone are much better than any of the songs from 'es or s'...and that's crazy because compositionally, TK has been in a negative feedback loop for years, and essentially, there is nothing 'new' on this EP. HOWEVER, by throwing in a few synths and different sounds, TK has made his music fresh again with something so simple. I mean, I actually got chills listening to 'subliminal' despite it sounding all too familiar.

This makes me wonder if the meager novelties of his solo work would have been put to better use with the band. It almost seems like TK has diluted his creativity by spreading himself too thin. So my unsolicited advice to him would be:

tumblr_mfzpuxNZgD1ql86bho1_500.gif

:P

Sign in to follow this