lichtlune

Does anyone else miss the drastic style of vk?

It seems not many bands go all out in costume and crazy hair anymore... It's kind of sad in a way. I miss the intricate makeup styles, the spikey hair, the chains and collars, all of that. Also the music doesn't appear to be very hard either but that's another matter. 

Azalea++scanned+by+elias.png

afc7916505ffb86d9534edecb70a52de.jpg

Unsraw-unsraw-27452666-790-424.jpg

I feel there are less and less newer bands with this edgier style and music. What do you all think? 

(I put up an UnsraW pic for reference as well but it keeps appearing and disappearing.)

I’m a newcomer in vk world,

but I vaguely realized that older visual bands used to have more dramatic makeup and hairdo and heavier music.

For people who have followed vk scene for a long time, ‘sparkling style’ which is often used nowadays must be unsatisfying.

Anyway, I remember I read somewhere (on ure.pia.co.jp, I think?) about 20 years of vk scene. It was written that –like fashion trends– vk styles have changed by the time along with general fashion and market trends.

Maybe there will be a time where fashion changes and many visual bands wear a dramatic style like they used to be?

I guess that's the thing, isn't it? It used to be a subculture, and now it's following pop culture. I miss the older styles a lot too they were what made visual kei attractive to me in the first place. I especially miss the bands that centered around creepy and/or grotesque concepts. 

I honestly don't really care about the fashion choices that much.  When in high school I thought it was cool, and I used to be able to basically pick a band to listen to based on look since bright colored groups in Cure and Shoxxx usually meant Oshare Kei sound (like An Cafe and Kra; which I hated), and the Dark or Scary looks menat they were heavy.  But now that I am older, I really don't care about the look as much - I have just accepted it and appreciate it for what it is (My American friends will never seem to accept it when I introduce people to it).  As long as the music is cool, I like the band.

But I do lament over the poppier trends that are taking hold.  It seems that many great bands of the mid-2000's that started out dark and heavy gained a following and then went pop - such as Girugamesh, 12012, A9, and many others.

However - I see that now the influence of progressive metal/djent and metalcore is influencing some bands in a heavier direction, but those bands are also typically more Americanized.  Giru and 12012 made a huge turnaround as we all know, and even a formerly pop-focused band like SuG are now making heavier tracks - which is awesome and makes me want to give them a better chance.

Either way - the sound of VK and J-Rock in general is still something that stays interesting compared to the rest of the world output, in my opinion.  And like all other trends - it will evolve with time and what sells.

Didn't we already have this topic covered in other threads? I am sure this will too end again in a dumb "new skewl vs. old skewl" debate.

First define "drastic style". At the moment there are actually a lot of very visual looking bands active, such as Grieva, Crimson Shiva, Mejibray, Lycaon, AvelCain, The Gallo, Dezert and more. However none of these, except maybe Grieva, are simiiar in style to those from the 90s. The other may come close to what bands looked like in the mid 00s. I feel many people confuse drastic, visual styling with the old school look. They can be the same, but don't have too; not every band in the 90s used to dress like your average Matina group. And not every band that sports leather, spooky make up and neon hair is old school.

Even though I don't like the current way of visual kei styling, there are still many groups who pull it off as well as the old bands did, they just happen to look very different. As others have already said: VK isn't really a genre per se and it has to adapt to current fashion trends in order to stay somewhat relevant. The fact that so many groups look like Hosts is because this look is popular. In the 90s you had Soft Visual, in the 00s Oshare and now them.

I know I may contradict myself a bit in what I have said on this forum some years ago. But the more older I get the less fucks I can give about how VK bands look today. Surely, I still love and miss the old "Kote kei" style, but it's nothing that will ever come back and I have accepted it. I am not expecting all VK bands to dress like this and make music like in the 90s when it's not even trendy, fashionable or contemprary anymore. The good thing is that the old times had a large output of material, audio and visual. You can always go back to enjoy the music and look at old photos. Sure, it would be nice to see a renaissance of this style and a few bands are doing it (La'veil Mizeria for example). But I doubt it will ever get popular again.

I think I develop a different outlook at this thanks to all the discussions we had here. It's really a topic that pops up every now and then. I am sure we will lament over how much newer VK sucks in 40 years. I am of course biased and say "90s Veekay for da win!".

Can't say I do, personally. I like old VK, but I also like "new" VK.  If I want to listen to 00's or 90s VK, I have plenty of bands to choose from, I don't need the new stuff to sound the same as the old.  Especially now that the new stuff is incorporating newer trends like electro and "core", which is pretty cool imo.  As for what they wear....lol it all looks ridiculous so who cares.

Didn't we already have this topic covered in other threads? I am sure this will too end again in a dumb "new skewl vs. old skewl" debate.

First define "drastic style". At the moment there are actually a lot of very visual looking bands active, such as Grieva, Crimson Shiva, Mejibray, Lycaon, AvelCain, The Gallo, Dezert and more. However none of these, except maybe Grieva, are simiiar in style to those from the 90s. The other may come close to what bands looked like in the mid 00s. I feel many people confuse drastic, visual styling with the old school look. They can be the same, but don't have too; not every band in the 90s used to dress like your average Matina group. And not every band that sports leather, spooky make up and neon hair is old school.

Even though I don't like the current way of visual kei styling, there are still many groups who pull it off as well as the old bands did, they just happen to look very different. As others have already said: VK isn't really a genre per se and it has to adapt to current fashion trends in order to stay somewhat relevant. The fact that so many groups look like Hosts is because this look is popular. In the 90s you had Soft Visual, in the 00s Oshare and now them.

I know I may contradict myself a bit in what I have said on this forum some years ago. But the more older I get the less fucks I can give about how VK bands look today. Surely, I still love and miss the old "Kote kei" style, but it's nothing that will ever come back and I have accepted it. I am not expecting all VK bands to dress like this and make music like in the 90s when it's not even trendy, fashionable or contemprary anymore. The good thing is that the old times had a large output of material, audio and visual. You can always go back to enjoy the music and look at old photos. Sure, it would be nice to see a renaissance of this style and a few bands are doing it (La'veil Mizeria for example). But I doubt it will ever get popular again.

I think I develop a different outlook at this thanks to all the discussions we had here. It's really a topic that pops up every now and then. I am sure we will lament over how much newer VK sucks in 40 years. I am of course biased and say "90s Veekay for da win!".

In no way did I specify this conversation as being only about 90s visual kei. Dio-distraught overlord and UnsraW are still a fairly recent bands. I'm perfectly fine with the current style of vk existing I'm just sad to see the more drastic aesthetics and atmosphere go away completely. I was mostly talking about the visuals but the music also obviously. I'm not going to lie and say I don't give a shit about the visuals at all. I think there's a lot of artistic value in the crazy makeup and outfits. A lot of bands seem way toned down in both style and music. People seem to think visual kei as being stupid or something you "Grow out of". I disagree. There's many on this forum who can attest to that.

And by "drastic" I mean the costumes, the crazy contacts and makeup, the colored hair/spiked hair, the chains and collars. Even the really cutesy oshare kei stuff like Aicle I miss and would consider drastic. I would consider Versailles to be drastic as well. It's great that you grow up and don't "give a fuck" but I do still give a fuck. I give a lot of fucks. I miss the music I feel in love with.

And about the music. I think there's something about the over production and electronic styles I dislike. The music doesn't sound full and natural to me anymore. I think visual kei is less about musicianship, expression, and style like it used to be. I think we are hearing less of the band and more of the studio with most contemporary music and it's infecting visual kei as well. This is what the age of computers has done. It's killed music in my opinion. 

I guess in the end it all comes down to overall expression and music of japan. This is what I'm most disappointed with. The things I used to love about Japanese music aren't there anymore sadly. I guess I'll just continue to listen to my classics and maybe search for some new genre's and hopefully find the same joy I had when I first got into Japanese music somewhere else.

While I'm more into modern music (can I say 'modern?'), I enjoy musicians because of everything I hear, as well as see. I admit to that. The visuals and styles really do catch my eye, I don't ignore it because I love the whole VK style. That's how my love for VK started and grew, because of the visuals, clothing, hairstyles, accessories, make-up, e.t.c. The older I get, the more I'm trying out different things, I find. This also means I'm going back in time with music, pretty much, at a slow and steady pace. So, because I can't draw clear comparisons with past VK styles and the newer VK styles right now, I just end up enjoying pretty much anything and everything I try. That means, I think VK fashion/style is just a bonus for me, in all honesty. I literally like anything. And I think, with the differences, it's quite nice to see/hear over the years, because it shows just how much music the has progressed. Of course the things you'll love will be missed, but I personally feel you can treasure such things even more if there's a change. I also see some active bands, as you've already said, like Versailles and Dio (okay, not 'active,' but I mean of this age ><) really fit in with what you miss, so there's always those bands that do successfully bring back the past, you know? It's nice, to me, that VK has grown and altered so much that there's a lot more to find and enjoy for many different people. As TheStoic and Ikna have said.

I miss dio though i would care how they would look if they cameback. dokusei was funny as hell though

I miss yuuki-sama's drastic old hot make up dew, cause he is just taking Lycaon down the drain with his current face on. so disappointed in him for not caring for his image. hopefully the pv will be counteracting the official new look

It's great that you grow up and don't "give a fuck" but I do still give a fuck. I give a lot of fucks. I miss the music I feel in love with.

And about the music. I think there's something about the over production and electronic styles I dislike. The music doesn't sound full and natural to me anymore. I think visual kei is less about musicianship, expression, and style like it used to be. I think we are hearing less of the band and more of the studio with most contemporary music and it's infecting visual kei as well. This is what the age of computers has done. It's killed music in my opinion. 

Then basically there are only two options left:

1. Move on from current VK and look for new music that can offer you what you're looking for

2. Don't do option 1 and keep complaining about it

This may sound harsh but it's the truth. Staying stuck in the past isn't going to make you feel any better about current VK. There are plenty of other artists, especially out of VK, that offer a lot of great stuff. All you have to do is be open to it, and you might discover something great. I know I did!

Totally. I miss the sound, the dramatic performances, etc.

But I guess there isn't much market for that type of bands these days.

Visual Kei went from weird (in the coolest way) experimental to monotone music O.o

I miss the crazy sinister hypnotic melodies (both guitars and bass), etc.

Then basically there are only two options left:

1. Move on from current VK and look for new music that can offer you what you're looking for

2. Don't do option 1 and keep complaining about it

This may sound harsh but it's the truth. Staying stuck in the past isn't going to make you feel any better about current VK. There are plenty of other artists, especially out of VK, that offer a lot of great stuff. All you have to do is be open to it, and you might discover something great. I know I did!

If you read my post you would have seen that I did mention finding music elsewhere. Although I highly doubt I'll find something that gives me the same feeling that Japanese music does. I mean I have found some stuff it's not like I don't listen to other music at all but I still prefer Japanese music. Why is it a big deal for me to complain about it? I can't complain about it? I don't think there's anything wrong about being "stuck in the past" so to speak. I feel in love with visual kei music of that time during that time. Since visual kei isn't genre specific the old music isn't as present in the scene anymore. And so I have distanced myself from it. You people should understand that I didn't intend this thread to be about "old vk vs new" that wasn't my intention. I was simply asking if others missed the costumes and makeup like I did. But whatever the harm has been done. 

Basically the scene I feel in love with is completely gone. The highly visual bands are gone, under code production is gone, red list entertainment is gone. The big names in the scene have gone to shit, the bigger bands I loved are on hiatus or disbanded. The old spirit of vk is vanished. I think I have plenty of reason to complain about it and I don't feel ashamed of it. I understand this topic is slightly taboo here though.

About "non vk" bands. It would depend on what you consider "non vk". I've heard bands of japan that have no makeup or fashion style but their music didn't really jump out at me. Basically I have listened and enjoyed what I was exposed to. I don't care if its labeled as vk or not however the vk bands do draw me in more. I have stated before that I would love all the artists that I do now if they weren't visual. In the end the music is the most important thing. However I haven't heard a lot of bands that sound like how visual kei bands do out of costume. 

If you read my post you would have seen that I did mention that I should look for other music elsewhere. Although I highly doubt I'll find something that gives me the same feeling that Japanese music does. I mean I have found some stuff it's not like I don't listen to other music at all but I still prefer Japanese music. Why is it a big deal for me to complain about it? I can't complain about it? I don't think there's anything wrong about being "stuck in the past" so to speak. I feel in love with visual kei music of that time during that time. Since visual kei isn't genre the old music isn't as present in the scene anymore. And so I have distanced myself from it. You people should mention that I didn't intend this thread to be about "old vk vs new" that wasn't my intention. I was simply asking if others missed the costumes and makeup like I did.

Basically the scene I feel in love with is completely gone. The highly visual bands are gone, under code production is gone, red list entertainment is gone. The big names in the scene have gone to shit, most of the bands I loved are on hiatus or disbanded. The old spirit of vk is vanished. I think I have plenty of reason to complain about it and I don't feel ashamed of it. 

can i ask, are you bored with what you have already from the past. When i was into rentrer en soi thats all i listen too, and it was enough. and did you check out every band out with what you are are looking for. oh and what about Ru:Natic?

can i ask, are you bored with what you have already from the past. When i was into rentrer en soi thats all i listen too, and it was enough. and did you check out every band out with what you are are looking for. oh and what about Ru:Natic?

Not every artist but majority of the artists from the past I still enjoy. I know about ru:natic but don't really like them that much. Some songs are nice. 

When I got involved with the Visual Kei scene in my country it was pretty much like a subculture. I tend to think that Visual Kei has lost a great deal of it lately...

I'm older now and not involved in the scene anymore. Some of my friends and aquaintances also grew out of Visual Kei.

I haven't grown out if it, I just have no interest in 99% of today's bands because what caught me was the sounds that flourished during the late 90's with all the adorns that accompanied it (visual and performance) among other factors.

One of my biggest complaints is that most bands sound totally monotone; the hypnotic and sinister melodies are very much gone.

sinister melodies are very much gone.

Why don't you just listen to black metal.... maybe thrash metal? problem solved.

Why don't you just listen to black metal.... maybe thrash metal? problem solved.

Why should somebody listen to thrash metal if they want sinister melodies? And maybe that person doesn't enjoy black metal? Black metal and pop/rock/heavy metal is quite different you see.

Why should somebody listen to thrash metal if they want sinister melodies? And maybe that person doesn't enjoy black metal? Black metal and pop/rock/heavy metal is quite different you see.

that why i said maybe. i wasn't sure if old school is thrashy or not with the riffage. and it was only a suggestion. and it's more likely they want some clean singing. and isn't their black thrash or whatever

Edited by blackdoll

^ sinister doesn't always just equal Metal either… I can only assume that seikun may be referring to some of the musical elements in old VK which are derived from Post-Punk, Goth or maybe Deathrock. There weren't really as many VK bands playing straight Black Metal (and Thrash isn't that gloomy).

I still don't understand the drama. Sure, it's sad that most VK bands have ditched this sound, but it's nothing you can do about it. This scene has always been about adapting to trends. The old bands sounded a certain way because it worked or sold. I agree to sai. You either cherish what the past is giving you or you move on. For me it works to listen to the old stuff and trying out familiar genres (although western). There aren't non-japanese bands who really sound exactly like oldschool Visual kei, but you can get fairly close by checking out all the bands and music which had a major influence on it (New Wave, Punk, Glam, Hardrock, Goth, etc).

In no way did I specify this conversation as being only about 90s visual kei. Dio-distraught overlord and UnsraW are still a fairly recent bands. I'm perfectly fine with the current style of vk existing I'm just sad to see the more drastic aesthetics and atmosphere go away completely. I was mostly talking about the visuals but the music also obviously. I'm not going to lie and say I don't give a shit about the visuals at all. I think there's a lot of artistic value in the crazy makeup and outfits. A lot of bands seem way toned down in both style and music. People seem to think visual kei as being stupid or something you "Grow out of". I disagree. There's many on this forum who can attest to that.

And I am only saying that there are modern VK bands with a drastic style. You may, however, percieve them not as "drastic", because you base your definition off of how VK used to look like 10 years ago. I would agree that the Visual scene had a mass of rather boygroup looking bands just few years ago, but now I see a wave of new groups wearing a shitton of make up, costumes and having flashy hair colours. I don't have the time to dig in the news section to list all the new bands who sport this style, but I think the ones I mentioned should be enough of an indicator for this trend.

I have never stated that you would or should grow out of it and neither have I. I just accepted that whining about how great the past was won't change the present. You either accept that the world will move on or you will stay stuck in your fantasy world where it is always 1999 for ever. I for one have become happy enough to have found access to a lot of great music of said era. It makes me happy if a band tries to revive this style, but I don't see why they have to.

Thrash metal isn't exactly where I'd look to find my sinister-sounding music either. Sure, you'll find sinister thrash metal albums and both Hell Awaits and Hobbs' Angel of Death are among the most sinister and evil albums I've eve heard, but they are more the exception to the "rules" than the standard for the genre. And thrash metal bands don't really utilize melodies the same way as it's more or less all about the riffing. But hey yo, that's just me.

Because old school Visual Kei has its own distinctive sound that caught my attention and interest. There are many music styles that also have a sinister dark sound, but Visual Kei does it in its own way and a way that I love.

Also, I like how old school Visual Kei talks about and conveys an element of mental insanity both lyrically and musically.

But whether or not a band talks about insanity and those things or not I miss what I listed before with my poor English and lack of knowledge of technical terms: fast drumming, changing speed, etc the way old school used ot do it.

But still some bands out there are doing some things: GRIEVA, Vallquar (still active?), La'veil Mizeria.

I didn't read every post thoroughly, so I'll just state my opinion on it

Personally I really liked the "drastic" looks they had back then. Especially the hair - nowadays almost everyone seems to have his sujimori thing going. I miss the spikes and that stuff.

When it comes to the music nowadays there's an important part missing for me, which I hate when it's the genre alone: Punk! The bands back then used to have much more punk influences. Everything was kinda dirty and gritty (excluding lareine, baiser and the likes) - especially the guitars.

Those are the main things that I miss. I'm glad there are still some bands who go for that sound - sadly most I know aren't that great :D

I feel like all of this has been said already though (not only in this thread, but about everywhere :D)

I've never really cared about the looks. Some bands just looked ridiculous with their "drastic look". Lets take this not-so-old picture (sorry about the potato quality), which looks more like toilet paper wrapped around his hand than something cool and unique. Some bands pulled the drastic look off pretty well, but those were rare cases IMO. Maybe I'm just boring, but I'm rather pleased that most bands have ditched the idea to ride with the outfits rather than the music.

I agree that the music used to sound more eerie and dark, but I'm just pleased that there's more diversity in bands instead of everyone trying to sound the same.

ruki.jpg

which looks more like toilet paper wrapped around his hand than something cool and unique.

that's your childhood trauma showing up beholders share tbh.

the entire madara era music, looks and videos are iconiq and are still ripped off by lesser coming up bands, remaining superior 10+ years after.