2. 2. Where do you prefer to buy music?

• Direct from the artist's website
    • Bandcamp
    • iTunes
    • Amazon
    • CD Baby
    • CD Japan
    • eMusic
    • I don't buy, I Stream (ie. Spotify, Rdio)
    • I don't ever buy, or pay, no matter what
    • Physical store

Happy new year!

First of all, thanks for making my first poll a success (single vs ep vs album)!

I have another poll :)

Me personally, I tend to buy more digital downloads, unless I really really want a physical copy.  The type of physical copy doesn't matter so much, whether it is CD, CDR, cassette, vinyl, what have you.  Sometimes its just cool to have the physical copy.  If the option is there, maybe signed.

I am quite curious though as to people's general preferences for WHERE they get their music.  If I have the option, I would probably buy it direct from the band/artist rather than go through another store, seeing as that way the artist gets the majority of my money, instead of CD Baby taking $4 from each CD or something.  But just the same, I tend to gravitate toward iTunes for digital purchases...maybe that is just engrained in my habits from many years :D

Thoughts and opinions?

Thanks!

Other: Vinyl and tapes, but in special cases I'll with CDs. That means, bads where I am looking to get a complete discography, like Sigh, or favourites that simply haven't released anything on any other format, like Kagrra.

The majority of the music I buy, I'd say 95% or so, I buy from small distros or labels in Norway, run buy people who earn nothing from doing this. They live for music and the only reason why they're having their own distros/labels is to get music they love out there to people like me. It's not a job where they earn money, but a hobby where they tend to lose money, just like most other hobbies. These are mainly Unborn Productions and Terratur Possessions. Nice, reliable guys who's doing this out of passion. I'd rather support these guys than amazon, CDON or shit like that.

3% or so I'd say are from other smaller labels/distros like Dark Symphonies, Blood Music, Virus Productions and so on, but a lot of what these labels release is something I'll get just as easily from Unborn or Terratur for the same kind of money, which makes it a lot easier for me. But every now and then I'll have to order straight from these, which I am more than happy to do as they're run by nice, reliable and helpful people. Some bigger than others, but the biggest are run by very few people, 3-4 at most, and aren't doing this for money, just out of love and passions for the music.

2% or so I buy from CDON, amazon or something like that.

Buying MP3s are out of the question. I've never done that, and I never will. Physical copies or free MP3s.

Every now and then I buy used iteams from random people as well. Or straight from the band when that's an option, but in most cases that only goes for demos.

Yeah, that's basically it. I tend to support the underground. Simple as that.

Hi ! Happy New Year for you too mate !

And thanks for bringing another interesting poll !

To answer it, I used to prefer digital for the werstern music (as we call it), unless those that I want to own or/cannot get digital (megamasso for example).
For that, I choose iTunes (I love the AAC format, no offense to the purists /+, I have an iPhone so it's useful for the music cloud). Also on Bandcamp but it's very rare (and I agree for your point, to buy directly from the band; Bandcamp is the one where you can do it the most ! I appreciate tho that they propose multiple download formats).

If I had to buy a physical CD, it would be on Amazon (the alternative distribution like EMP, Nuclear Blast or anything else are too expensive for what they're proposing, no way). Some -overseas- bands have their own webshop tho (which is cool) but the shipping costs to France is still a problem.

For my japanese physical albums, I buy from CdJapan essentially (because I can choose AirMail, which means I can avoid the fucking custom fees unless I'm careful with the amount of items I ordered - 3 is my number). Sometimes, I saw stuff that I want from others stores (closetchild, puresound,..), cheap, used or rare but I won't buy it because they only send with FedEx or/not AirMail (=100% custom fees). Cheap stuff + high shipping cost + high custom fees = always too much than if I had buy the brand new copy on CdJapan. One time I used FromJapan, but 80€ (total) for 1 DVD, I'm a bit cold to try again (but I was stupid, I didn't choose the right shipment to avoid tax, my mistake).

+, I have a 100% trust on CdJapan.

I buy from an existing in real life shopping service store, but seems like there isn't an option for that?

Hahaha, you made me laugh, can't believe I forgot actual stores :D  

Poll edited

I am part of the vinyl hipster crowd that's infesting the record stores now. B)

If any medium is going to disappear I bet it will be the CD. With the rise of lossless downloads they won't have any added value anymore. As soon as streaming media and digital shopping leave the MP3 behind entirely and upgrade to lossless formats, CDs will effectively lose all that made them desirable. It's only a matter of time. Bid your farewells to the CD, everyone!

HMV.co.jp isn't up there, but I've probably purchased the most physical CDs there. 2nd would be amazon, who have wonderful service.

For digital, I prefer ototoy or bandcamp. itunes as a last resort. Purchasing digital is always a gamble, though as you're subject to receiving shittily encoded rips (with pops, ticks, skips) or sometimes not even the entire album. Although I've mostly had experiences like that through itunes.

I always prefer to buy digital over CD if possible.  But since I'm too lazy to bother with Japanese giftcards blah blah, I have to hope they'll show up on Amazon or iTunes.  I prefer Amazon, but will use iTunes if I really want it and it's nowhere else.  I buy CDs through Amazon marketplace if it's there, if not then YesAsia and THEN CD Japan.

Number one option I do if it's available to me is buy directly from the band at their concerts.

For domestic national bands, this is pretty much my first choice. If I can't get to a show, then the store to buy the CD, and if I can't get the CD physically then I'll buy digital. However, for international bands, I try their webshop/bandcamp first. If that's not an option then itunes, and if it's a last resort CD from CD Japan/HMV/shopping service. This is mostly due to how expensive foreign (mostly Japanese) CDs can be plus the shipping costs and risks and waiting involved. I like instant gratification. Only on special instances for bands I've supported for a very very long time will I blind buy a physical copy of the CD because I like to collect them (limited editions/DVDs/multi-types and all) from my favorite bands. But that list is down to like 3 artists at this point.

I don't care where I get the files as long as it isn't a shady site for digital purchases. Since I prefer having lossless files, I don't bother with sites that only offer lossy versions. Which kinda makes buying a physical copy for Japanese release a necessity.

For physical copies, I don't mind going to the stores or buying through the label's online store for NA artist if I can't find their release digitally. I saved quite a bit last year since a majority of them were at bandcamp already.

Well, a few years back, it'd always be physical discs I'd purchase. This was the time when I listened to only English music. That'd mean I'd buy them from stores. And it was always Amazon. I rarely would (and even now) buy from stores in walking distance, like HMV, but if I'm in town (which is rare in itself), I'll check out that store if I'm nearby. I actually still purchase albums from Amazon from time to time if I can afford them but not as often as before. This is mainly because, now, I only purchase digitally, only from iTunes. It used to take forever waiting/finding the musicians you want, but they seem to have a lot more popping up now. At least, the ones I search for, they're a lot easier to find then previous years. And at the starting point of this, it'd always be me getting single mp3s, on their own. Be it album/single, I'd just spend 99p on a load of random songs. I take a while at understanding anything. xD But because iTunes seems to put a pricey total on many albums I'd like to get, I just do without it or, if I see it pop up here, I'll give it a listen and see if it's available on Amazon. I would get physical albums from CDJapan if I could, since Asian music is all I really listen to, but mum's against paying a lot of money for shipping if it's not Amazon. *Awaits for when I fully become an adult.*

I hate digital copies. I wanted to start my collection of physical CD copies so I'll always have them as opposed to digital where if my laptop crashes, it's more than likely gone forever. I mainly buy from CDJapan and I've recently bought a few CDs from CD Baby that are of Starwave Records artist and closet child for the others I can't find. I can find most CDs that I want from all three of those websites, in good condition too. Tainted Reality is also connected with SW and I've purchased one CD from there, fair prices I'd say.

Rarely will I buy from the label shop that a band is on due to the heavy prices and conversion from Japanese yen to American $$$ but it ships cleaner and faster from what I've heard or unless it's impossible to find in any other place.

Other: Vinyl and tapes, but in special cases I'll with CDs. That means, bads where I am looking to get a complete discography, like Sigh, or favourites that simply haven't released anything on any other format, like Kagrra.

The majority of the music I buy, I'd say 95% or so, I buy from small distros or labels in Norway, run buy people who earn nothing from doing this. They live for music and the only reason why they're having their own distros/labels is to get music they love out there to people like me. It's not a job where they earn money, but a hobby where they tend to lose money, just like most other hobbies. These are mainly Unborn Productions and Terratur Possessions. Nice, reliable guys who's doing this out of passion. I'd rather support these guys than amazon, CDON or shit like that.

3% or so I'd say are from other smaller labels/distros like Dark Symphonies, Blood Music, Virus Productions and so on, but a lot of what these labels release is something I'll get just as easily from Unborn or Terratur for the same kind of money, which makes it a lot easier for me. But every now and then I'll have to order straight from these, which I am more than happy to do as they're run by nice, reliable and helpful people. Some bigger than others, but the biggest are run by very few people, 3-4 at most, and aren't doing this for money, just out of love and passions for the music.

2% or so I buy from CDON, amazon or something like that.

Buying MP3s are out of the question. I've never done that, and I never will. Physical copies or free MP3s.

Every now and then I buy used iteams from random people as well. Or straight from the band when that's an option, but in most cases that only goes for demos.

Yeah, that's basically it. I tend to support the underground. Simple as that.

Bear, I had no idea you were in Norway!  Cool, me too :D  So all this stuff resonates with me, especially the preference to not buy from CD-ON and similar stores.  When I was in my old band, we actually had copies in some of the Platekompaniet stores around Oslo (they were the only stores I knew about), and they sold the majority of them, but I think it was people we knew :D

As for MP3s, I try to avoid MP3 format.  I'm much more OK with the iTunes AAC format, dunno why, but it seems to be at least better, and MP3 I've been using ever since the original Napster!  So they seem a bit dated.  Funny thing, my very first band's demos are 24kbps MP3s, hahaha.  Talk about high resolution!  Keep in mind they are from 2001...

I'm actually surprised that "buying direct from the band" hasn't received more votes.  This could be easily because this forum is geared towards Japanese music, which is particularly difficult for foreigners to get, at least more so than "western" music.  And I imagine many aren't going to Japanese bands' websites in all-Japanese and buying direct, if they even have the option...

I haven't bought a CD in years as bad ad that sounds. I mainly stream music on Google Play Music and what's nice is I can download music and upload it on there and stream it from their website and mobile app.

Bear, I had no idea you were in Norway!  Cool, me too :D  So all this stuff resonates with me, especially the preference to not buy from CD-ON and similar stores.  When I was in my old band, we actually had copies in some of the Platekompaniet stores around Oslo (they were the only stores I knew about), and they sold the majority of them, but I think it was people we knew :D

I'm actually surprised that "buying direct from the band" hasn't received more votes.  This could be easily because this forum is geared towards Japanese music, which is particularly difficult for foreigners to get, at least more so than "western" music.  And I imagine many aren't going to Japanese bands' websites in all-Japanese and buying direct, if they even have the option...

Yeah, I know. I actually talked to you once on here. Heh. Yeah, it's not that I mind CDON. I've bougt plenty from them over the years, but music and films, and never had any big problems. When I've had problems they've been solved immediately with no problems whatsoever. But I just feel that these small distros deserves my money way more than CDON or even Platekompaniet, and they're not any more expensive either. And they focus more on the kind of music I tend to spend my money on, which makes it more ideal for me. I'm very selective when it comes to buying music, and most of what I am willing to spend money on I won't find on PK or CDON. And I prefer stores like Tiger and Big Dipper to Platekompaniet. I feel like they're more into this for what I see as the right reasons. They're not big chain stores who earn lots of money and can start new stores all ove the country. Small stores who sells music they themself enjoy. My cup of tea.

I like buying from the band, problems with that is that I'll only end up with one or two albums. When I buy from Unborn or Terratur I tell them to put stuff I want aside and when I fee they've got enough I buy. It's everything from 3-4 to 10 different albums/EPs/demos on vinyl/tape. It makes everything so easy, and easy is good.

hahah crap, you are right, my fault for my memory lapse!

I was not familiar with those stores in how they will hold things for you like that.  That is pretty cool!  I know of the stores, though.

I buy physical CDs 98% of the time. Majority of the Japanese music I purchase comes from CDJapan and Brand-X. When I can't get something I really want, then I'll resort to buying it digitally from iTunes.

I used to be all about buying physical copies but I'm slowly transitioning to digital nowadays. It's cheaper and efficient. If the physical release does have some worthy exclusive content, then that would be my only excuse to buy them.

ive never bought music digitally. seems weird to me to not have a physical copy of its art form. i come very spoiled that i feel ripped off if I were to buy it digitally.

where I buy my music if from various record stores. and i only buy if its an album I really feel to.