Original Saku

Currently Airing & Watching Anime Discussion Topic

On 5/14/2019 at 2:39 PM, nullmoon said:

Currently watching Seven Deadly Sins on Netflix and I'm so conflicted. The story, music, and action are all awesome but the constant ecchi is SO offputting. I'm up for butts and boobs but come on =.=

@violetchain I persisted and DAMN is it a good show! :o

Watching Black Butler at the moment. Can’t wait for the second season because The Gazette did the opening!

Also, the opening for the first season is a jam! Might check out Sid sometime soon

Just finished watching Kanon (2006). Not a perfect show by any means since it was adapted from a visual novel but still had me in tears at many points. Also the opening song is probably one of the most beautiful songs I've heard in a long time. 

On 6/15/2019 at 4:57 PM, lichtlune said:

Just finished watching Kanon (2006). Not a perfect show by any means since it was adapted from a visual novel but still had me in tears at many points. Also the opening song is probably one of the most beautiful songs I've heard in a long time. 

Kanon is such a mood, and LIA did an excellent job with the opening theme. To be honest, all visual novels with snow environments have some of the best OSTs regardless of how good they are plot-wise (SNOW, Hatsuyuki Sakura, Mashiro-iro Symphony, etc.)  I'm likely just a sucker for winter themes, lol.

Visual novel adaptations are actually a guilty pleasure of mine b/c I find them really relaxing (usu mindless fun.) It's unfortunate that we aren't getting solid adaptations anymore. (Now it's just ultra-budget ones of otome games :/)

Edited by colorful人生

I caught up with Shingeki no Kyoujin and the amount of crying I’ve done for this show is almost equal to the tears I’ve shed during uni. I shouldn’t watch shows like this one anymore 😭😭

I’m also up to date with Bungou Stray Dogs 💕. This one is slowly starting to rip my heart into pieces as well. 

By the time they finish I will have no soul left in me anymore 😭

2 hours ago, Triangle said:

I caught up with Shingeki no Kyoujin and the amount of crying I’ve done for this show is almost equal to the tears I’ve shed during uni. I shouldn’t watch shows like this one anymore 😭😭

I’m also up to date with Bungou Stray Dogs 💕. This one is slowly starting to rip my heart into pieces as well. 

By the time they finish I will have no soul left in me anymore 😭

The latest episodes of SNK have had so much plot revealed I'm struggling to process... 

Recently started Kimetsu no Yaiba...I'm only about 6 eps in, so a bit behind, but I've really been enjoying this one so far. Really great production quality all around.

31 minutes ago, platy said:

The latest episodes of SNK have had so much plot revealed I'm struggling to process... 

It gets even juicier! I’m up to date with the manga so I’m just enjoying the dramatic effects.   I wonder how much they can cover until the end of the season

3 hours ago, Triangle said:

It gets even juicier! I’m up to date with the manga so I’m just enjoying the dramatic effects.   I wonder how much they can cover until the end of the season

I can't handle any more juicier than this. I thought last season was good, now this season has literally blown my brains. Characters who were just anime clichés for over 5 years have now earned my respect. I'm so scared of who's gonna take over AOT next season. No one else can achieve the level of greatness we've had up to now. 

Just now, platy said:

I can't handle any more juicier than this. I thought last season was good, now this season has literally blown my brains. Characters who were just anime clichés for over 5 years have now earned my respect. I'm so scared of who's gonna take over AOT next season. No one else can achieve the level of greatness we've had up to now. 

It just keeps coming! Hajime either planned this all along or is literally on some ecstasy pills ! I am scared of his mind and I cannot predict an ending out of this mess! But I can trust him to not involve his work with anything but high quality teams.

I finished Sarazanmai. Weird and crazy ass anime but holy hell does it get good around Episode 7. Probably my favorite show of the year so far. Also finished Black Butler Season 1. Very fun and very enjoyable.

Black Butler Season 2 on the other hand...ugh. It's horrid. Only good things are that The Gazette did the OP and the main characters are back, but I absolutely HATE the new ones. It may get good in the later episodes but IDK

I finally watched Devils' Line! Why is this show not advertised enough ffs. I've been searching for this kind story for ages and no one told me about it ;A;.  

It was nice. Just nice. I wanted more in terms of plot, but we cool, it's fine, I'm not crying you are.

The OP and ED songs made me choke. I never thought I will live a life where I would have both Aoi Shouta and Miyano Mamoru singing the theme songs for an anime. I'm ready to retire now XD. 

The 2-cours and follow-up seasons of existing franchises, which are plentiful this Fall, will absolutely dominate this season*. As for new series, 5/8 I cover here are manga isekai adaptations.

• Assassins Pride
    • This one has been a fun read, and EMT² should do a good job with the adaptation. There's def the pervading dark v. light motif and a decent amount of action. I can't give much detail plot-wise b/c the beginning sets the stage for the rest of the series.
  • Kono Yuusha ga Ore Tueee Kuse ni Shinchou Sugiru
    • This is a gag isekai, but a fun one. Guy gets summoned as a hero but is actually some OCD prepper who spends literal days in the summoning chamber trying to buff up.
  • Choujin Koukousei-tachi wa Isekai demo Yoyuu de Ikinuku you desu!
    • Some ultra-genius students (in their respective expertise) get isekai'd from a plane accident. There's world building, politics, and even arcs where parts of the team get their own narratives. However, it becomes largely bland b/c it's one of those series where the characters somehow drag in their modern weapons & thinking and squash all their enemies. Any complexity gets dumbed down a few notches with adaptations anyway.
  • Ore wo Suki nano wa Omae dake ka yo
    • You think it's going to be some comedy-harem series but you get knockoff OreGairu instead. There are def. misunderstandings & melodrama, but a lot of people still dig that. P.A. Works gave me my fill of that in the late 00's - early 10's. 
  • Watashi, Nouryoku wa Heikinchi de tte Itta yo ne!
    • Isekai'd not wanting to be OP but becomes OP anyway. Becomes "cute girls doing cute things" intermixed with action ofc. I want this to be good, but I think it'll share the same fate as Choyoyu! (3rd down) becoming pretty bland. 
  • Val × Love
    • The return of the battle harem, but it runs on ero-mechanics. Hoods Entertainment also adapted Sekon no Qwaser which also relied on heavy eroticism. If you like heavy "plot"/fanservice, disregard the rating and go watch it.
  • Hataage! Kemono Michi
    • Pro-wrestler + animal lover gets isekai'd and suplexes the princess after being told he had to get rid of beasts. Ends up running a pet shop for the rest of the series. Becomes some gag comedy + fantasy-SoL.
  • Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen
    • Librarian gets isekai'd into a world without books. This def. has the benefit of being one of the first (?) shoujo isekai adaptions, which steers it clear off the ecchi path. It might turn out to be a bit bland similarly to the two others mentioned above. 

• Azur Lane will be really popular this season, simply because it's following the same playbook as Kancolle. Both of them are popular naval combat mobage, w/ each now having their own anime adaptations.
  • Mairimashita! Iruma-kun is airing as a two-cour, but it will last much longer than that. It's a shounen series with 11 volumes of content to work with, so depending on the reception it could last for a few years.
  • Beastars has a cult-following with 14 volumes of material. It features anthropomorphic animals and, while initially sounding like furbait, has an actually deep plot. It sounds like a grittier version of Zootopia, lol.

There's a couple scattered hobbyist series, but I'll give a peek at everything. Babylon with its plot is catching my interest 🤔. A lot of the yellow implies that I'm inconclusive about most of the series here. Like always, anime adaptations can swing in any way and everyone has their own tastes.

Edited by colorful人生

Finished Kakegurui xx. If you enjoyed the first season, this is an extension of that. Some cool new characters, twists and turns with a let down of an ending. They tried to cram 3/4 episodes worth of stuff into the last episode. We could've finally got a backstory for Jabami and why she's such a pervert for gambling, but that got nipped in the bud pretty quick. Similar to a race getting cut short because one of the participants hit a brick wall at full speed. I'll probably watch the 3rd season anyway if there is one.

On 8/5/2019 at 5:38 PM, platy said:

Finished Kakegurui xx. If you enjoyed the first season, this is an extension of that. Some cool new characters, twists and turns with a let down of an ending. They tried to cram 3/4 episodes worth of stuff into the last episode. We could've finally got a backstory for Jabami and why she's such a pervert for gambling, but that got nipped in the bud pretty quick. Similar to a race getting cut short because one of the participants hit a brick wall at full speed. I'll probably watch the 3rd season anyway if there is one.

I used to not like the first season but more recently I’ve taken a liking to it. It’s by no means a masterpiece but the opening is good and I love the story. Might give the second season a shot

Can we all just take a fucking moment and appreciate the most recent episode (#19) of Kimetsu no Yaiba (Demon Slayer)? I've been enjoying this show quite a bit and yes it's had some minor problems, nothing big. Started off very strong and kinda slowed down for a little while now, but overall it's been way above average and some quality shit.

Then there's this episode that just cranks every fucking thing up to 11. Holy shit the production value is ridiculous! Animation, soundtrack, voice acting, everything is just oozing top quality "production let's fucking blow there minds value". I know there is a lot of hype around this show right now and rightfully so, but let's be realistic here. Do I think this is the best shounen ever like many people are claiming because of this episode? No not even close, but do I think this might be one of the best directed and produced anime episodes that I've ever seen? Yeah probably.

I'm always asked what my favorite studio is and I might throw a few out because hey it's hard to just choose one, but I always give UFOTABLE a high spot and people roll there eyes 9/10 times. "I mean yeah their animation is pretty, but those FATE adaptions are rough... and too hard to understand".

It is ridiculously hard to adapt a work into an animated series especially a video game source and especially a series as bat shit insane and complicated as FATE and I think they do a fairly decent job at it. But give them a smaller project with less convoluted source material and freedom to do what they want ? We get some hella good shit. This manga was just the adaption they needed to flex a little :lol:

TLDR; Demon Slayer episode 19 is AOTY (so far), it is legit objectively & subjectively good.

I would really love to know where to watch Lupin the Third movies, especially the newer TV specials (Goodbye Partner, Fujiko Mine's Lie, etc...) because I can't trust anime sites these days and gogoanime doesn't load for me...

@suji Is using nyaa not an option?

I'm almost halfway through Vento Aureo now. I read the original manga YEARS ago, like more than a decade at this point (roughly around the same time when the only translations available for Diamond is Unbreakable were the infamous Duwang ones). Back then I remember my first impression of the part being that I enjoyed it a lot less than DiU, even in spite of the horrible translation, and Stone Ocean right after it. Watching it in animated form now after such a long time pretty much feels like I'm experiencing it all for the very first time again, I literally remember next to nothing about this part other than a couple scattered bits and pieces here and there. Feels weird.

6 hours ago, Tokage said:

@suji Is using nyaa not an option?

is that a torrent site? my internet provider doesn't let me use those, but I need to learn how to use a proxy or vpn or smth

1 hour ago, suji said:

is that a torrent site? my internet provider doesn't let me use those, but I need to learn how to use a proxy or smth

Yeah, it's one of the biggest  public ones specialized mainly in anime, jdrama and general weeb media. Mostly use it to find old stuff myself, but they have a good bit of everything across the board, definitely worth looking into

Yea, nyaa.si is the best public tracker at the moment, but you'll probably find a bunch of dead torrents (no seeders) on there for older stuff. AnimeBytes is the best private tracker, but you have to get in through invite or Red. I used to be on Baka-Tsuki (another pt), but my account got neutered after they went down b/c of inactivity ;;. AnimeKayo is a pretty decent DDL site, if you're not into torrenting.

*cough* trading JPS invite for AB invite *cough* not like everyone and their mother has a JPS account on here already peepoSAD

Edited by colorful人生

Let's see, of the currently airing anime, the ones I'm enjoying the most are Dr. Stone, Vinland Saga, Araburu Kisetsu no Otome-domo yo, Fruits Basket, and Kimetsu no Yaiba.

18 hours ago, Original Saku said:

Can we all just take a fucking moment and appreciate the most recent episode (#19) of Kimetsu no Yaiba (Demon Slayer)? I've been enjoying this show quite a bit and yes it's had some minor problems, nothing big. Started off very strong and kinda slowed down for a little while now, but overall it's been way above average and some quality shit.

Then there's this episode that just cranks every fucking thing up to 11. Holy shit the production value is ridiculous! Animation, soundtrack, voice acting, everything is just oozing top quality "production let's fucking blow there minds value". I know there is a lot of hype around this show right now and rightfully so, but let's be realistic here. Do I think this is the best shounen ever like many people are claiming because of this episode? No not even close, but do I think this might be one of the best directed and produced anime episodes that I've ever seen? Yeah probably.

I'm always asked what my favorite studio is and I might throw a few out because hey it's hard to just choose one, but I always give UFOTABLE a high spot and people roll there eyes 9/10 times. "I mean yeah their animation is pretty, but those FATE adaptions are rough... and too hard to understand".

It is ridiculously hard to adapt a work into an animated series especially a video game source and especially a series as bat shit insane and complicated as FATE and I think they do a fairly decent job at it. But give them a smaller project with less convoluted source material and freedom to do what they want ? We get some hella good shit. This manga was just the adaption they needed to flex a little :lol:

TLDR; Demon Slayer episode 19 is AOTY (so far), it is legit objectively & subjectively good.

Yesss! What a gorgeous series, it does the manga such justice. I especially appreciate how they animated the attacks with the stylized water and all. And the hilarity of reaction faces, they fill me with such joy. Also, kudos for the 3-gatsu no Lion avatar, one of my favorite anime series as well. :)