Original Saku

Currently Airing & Watching Anime Discussion Topic

The last anime i watched/finished was Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt XD...but Baka and Test is one of my favorites now XD and Okami-San and her Seven Companions is a good one also...and i just finished episode 1 of Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun its good too

started watching Hayate no Gotoku CAN'T KEEP MY HANDS OFF YOU a week ago and will continue watching it later together with Rock Lee no Seishun Full-Power Ninden's latest episodes

what's a good anime for a couple to watch together?

Well that could depend on preference but here's some of my recommendations:

Ano Natsu de Matteru

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun

Zetsuen no Tempest

Any movies by Miyazaki

Eden of the East

Gurren Lagann

Code Geass

Clannad the movie

Air the movie

Well that could depend on preference but here's some of my recommendations:

Ano Natsu de Matteru

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun

Zetsuen no Tempest

Any movies by Miyazaki

Eden of the East

Gurren Lagann

Code Geass

Clannad the movie

Air the movie

To be challenging, I say don't bother watching Code Geass. It starts out strong and then just turns in to total garbage. XD

Here some others recommendations to complete Flame-X's one :

Death Note

X TV

K-ON

Saint Seiya Lost Canvas (if you're a fan of the initial Saint Seiya anime/manga)

Amagami SS

Guilty Crown

Ookami Kakushi

Tora Dora

The World God Only Knows

Fate/Stay Night

Fate/Zero

What kind of stuff do you two like? It's a lot easier if we know a bit about both of your tastes. Maybe tell us what show that you have watched and like as well as what your partner likes. Also, are you up for watching older shows? And maybe most important, how into anime is you guys? if one of you is only kind of in to anime, there are a lot of shows I would flat out avoid (Pretty much anything that plays off of anime cliches, anything moe, anything with more than a tiny bit of fan service, and most things with a high school setting).

thanks for all the suggestions! I'll have to look them up later~

I'd say we're searching for an anime that has both good a storyline and artwork.

not limited to any type: mecha, fantasy, etc.

for ones I've watched: claymore, escaflowne, dbz, elfen lied, paprika, akira, acchi kocchi, series of experiments lain, afro samuri...

and for himself: escaflowne, gundam, dbz, fruit baskets, um... bleach and naruto up to some point.

mind you we haven't ever watched an anime together*

I'm fine with fan service but I don't think that'd be a good idea since we're newish together lol....

so avoiding ones like highschool of the dead

thanks for all the suggestions! I'll have to look them up later~

I'd say we're searching for an anime that has both good a storyline and artwork.

not limited to any type: mecha, fantasy, etc.

for ones I've watched: claymore, escaflowne, dbz, elfen lied, paprika, akira, acchi kocchi, series of experiments lain, afro samuri...

and for himself: escaflowne, gundam, dbz, fruit baskets, um... bleach and naruto up to some point.

mind you we haven't ever watched an anime together*

I'm fine with fan service but I don't think that'd be a good idea since we're newish together lol....

so avoiding ones like highschool of the dead

hmm, first though then would be to start off with some movies. That way you guys don't need to commit to a show and you can get a good feel as to how watching anime together will go.

Note: My recommendations arn't necessarily my absolute favorites, just ones I think will work great for you two.

For movies, here are my recommendations:

Princess Mononoke - (Fantasy/Action) My favorite animated movie. Great mix of story and action with great themes and beautiful art to go along with it. The dub is pretty decent too (if you prefer to watch in English).

Kiki's Delivery Service - (Slice of Life/Fantasy/Family) A very light harted movie about the coming of age of a young witch. This movie might be aimed at young kids, but I still love it. This is the first movie I watched with my girlfriend. Very cute and upbeat.

Summer Wars - (Action/Sci-fi/Comedy) I am not even sure how to explain this one....it is Digimon the movie but better lol. I could explain the premise, but it would sound really stupid...it is sooo much better than it sounds.

5 Centimeters per Second - (Drama/Romance) If you want to want to watch one of the most beautiful animations ever created, look no further. Be warned, this anime has a very melancholy mood, so don't expect any bright and happy romance here.

Show Recommedations:

Cowboy Bebop - (Action/Drama/Sci-fi) I don't know how anyone can NOT like Cowboy Bepop. It is the perfect bland of story and action. It has great character and fluid animation. It also has one of the best sound tracks in anime ever. The English dub is also fantastic (I much prefer it over the original Japanese) which is rare.

Natsume Yuujinchou - (Drama/Slow-Paced) While this show is a bit more on the Shojo side, I find it very easy to like as a guy. It is a bit slower paced, but the show gives off such a great vibe. I found this show great for watching before bed, I would imagine it would be awesome to snuggle to.

Darker Than Black - (Action/Sci-fi) Great characters and interesting superpowers are the defining feature of this anime. It fuctions on a 2 episode story arc.

Hope that helps with some good ones to start with! :D

Cowboy Bebop - (Action/Drama/Sci-fi) I don't know how anyone can NOT like Cowboy Bepop. It is the perfect bland of story and action. It has great character and fluid animation. It also has one of the best sound tracks in anime ever. The English dub is also fantastic (I much prefer it over the original Japanese) which is rare.

I also recommend this, and agreeing with Ito's opinion about the English dub. :D

Natsume Yuujinchou - (Drama/Slow-Paced) While this show is a bit more on the Shojo side, I find it very easy to like as a guy. It is a bit slower paced, but the show gives off such a great vibe. I found this show great for watching before bed, I would imagine it would be awesome to snuggle to.

definitely recommend this... absolutely one of my favorite animes, only thing is that there is like four seasons... xD so you'll have to commit, but it's so worth it!

To be challenging, I say don't bother watching Code Geass. It starts out strong and then just turns in to total garbage. XD

I'm curious to know why you thought the show was garbage.

hmmn, i quite liked code geass actually (even both seasons). it's fun to see some maincharacters beeing foced into almost borderline evil with still a glimpse hope of redemption, but still unhaltingly spiraling towards complete madness. i guess thats just the stuff i enjoy, yeah plot gets "a little" ridicculous towards the ends, but if one manages to look past that and it's overall cheesieness it's quite the cool show actually...

hmmn, i quite liked code geass actually (even both seasons). it's fun to see some maincharacters beeing foced into almost borderline evil with still a glimpse hope of redemption, but still unhaltingly spiraling towards complete madness. i guess thats just the stuff i enjoy, yeah plot gets "a little" ridicculous towards the ends, but if one manages to look past that and it's overall cheesieness it's quite the cool show actually...

I don't really understand why you both are thinking that the show is getting ridiculous towards the end. Like Flame-x, I'm quite curious why you thought the anime was less appealing. Personally, I think Code Geass is a total masterpiece of the previous decade. Not only most of the characters have a massive charisma but the story in its self and what Lelouch achieved by being "evil" is completely amazing !

I don't really understand why you both are thinking that the show is getting ridiculous towards the end. Like Flame-x, I'm quite curious why you thought the anime was less appealing. Personally, I think Code Geass is a total masterpiece of the previous decade. Not only most of the characters have a massive charisma but the story in its self and what Lelouch achieved by being "evil" is completely amazing !

hmmnok, let's look how far i still get it together after such a long time.

just to start, i don't disagree with you,

masterpiece: check (might be a little too flashy worded, but still close...)

characters with massive charisma: check

lelouch and his "evil thing" amazing: check

but still in terms of story there ae just a few parts that raise eyebrows...

i might mix up both geass seasons here now since i don't know anymore which one was which, but for example the part, where lelouch "accidentally" hypnos that queen-character, resulting in massive genocide.

whilst on the one hand it might be one of the most dramatic scenes in the season it gets spoilt quite a bit by the feeling of "oh you HAVE to be KIDDING me" just by how fabricated that seems, giving that sort of "order", "accidentally" in this kind of situation etc.

or the situation (near the end of season 2 i think) where he is pretty much general in chief (in itself already a little fishy, but okay, he has his eye-thingy so why not). but then singlehandedly from some chilled sofa eradicating half of his own army within seconds, with no one questioning him at all? yes i get that this is the absolute height of his madnes, but it leaves one behind sarcastically saying "yeah sure, i totally buy that".

also, i don't quite get together anymore how it actually was, but the conclusional thing with whitbearded british daddy in that cloud temple quite annoyed me aswell, because it seemed half-assed and unfitting. it's not that i'm against weird multidimensional psycho-parts in anime, quite the opposite, but this one was unsatisfieing.

those are just a few situations i remember from the top of my head, but there where quite a few more

that seemed a bit like a rant, but i actually just wanted to point out, that the story has its flaws, all-in-all still a really great show though

Code Geass has a lot to like about it. The plot makes sure that I disregard all of that.

Note: I have note seen season 2 nor do I have any plans to. The end of season 1 was such a dumb cliffhanger place to end that it was the final straw.

Huge problem number one: It's hard to enjoy a show when you genuienly don't like the main character.

2: Some of the dubbest plot twist in history. bonsaijodelfisch mentioned the one that I have the biggest problem with. It wasn't smart. It wasn't shocking. It was just stupid. I barely kept watching after this.

3: Pacing - Sometimes this seemed to rush, other times is dragged. And then there were the painful cliffhangers which are just cheap.

IMO Code Geass is average at best. No way I would ever call it a masterpiece.

hmmnok, let's look how far i still get it together after such a long time.

just to start, i don't disagree with you,

masterpiece: check (might be a little too flashy worded, but still close...)

characters with massive charisma: check

lelouch and his "evil thing" amazing: check

but still in terms of story there are just a few parts that raise eyebrows...

i might mix up both geass seasons here now since i don't know anymore which one was which, but for example the part, where lelouch "accidentally" hypnos that queen-character, resulting in massive genocide.

whilst on the one hand it might be one of the most dramatic scenes in the season it gets spoilt quite a bit by the feeling of "oh you HAVE to be KIDDING me" just by how fabricated that seems, giving that sort of "order", "accidentally" in this kind of situation etc.

or the situation (near the end of season 2 i think) where he is pretty much general in chief (in itself already a little fishy, but okay, he has his eye-thingy so why not). but then singlehandedly from some chilled sofa eradicating half of his own army within seconds, with no one questioning him at all? yes i get that this is the absolute height of his madness, but it leaves one behind sarcastically saying "yeah sure, i totally buy that".

also, i don't quite get together anymore how it actually was, but the conclusional thing with whitbearded british daddy in that cloud temple quite annoyed me as well, because it seemed half-assed and unfitting. it's not that i'm against weird multidimensional psycho-parts in anime, quite the opposite, but this one was unsatisfying.

those are just a few situations i remember from the top of my head, but there where quite a few more

that seemed a bit like a rant, but i actually just wanted to point out, that the story has its flaws, all-in-all still a really great show though

It doesn't seem like a rant for me. I just wanted to know your opinion about Code Geass and it is always very interesting to have others opinions. Just because someone doesn't like something you like doesn't mean you can't discuss about it. I agree with you that the plot is sometimes quite weak and there is a lot flaw here and there, that's totally true.

Code Geass has a lot to like about it. The plot makes sure that I disregard all of that.

Note: I have note seen season 2 nor do I have any plans to. The end of season 1 was such a dumb cliffhanger place to end that it was the final straw.

Huge problem number one: It's hard to enjoy a show when you genuienly don't like the main character.

2: Some of the dubbest plot twist in history. bonsaijodelfisch mentioned the one that I have the biggest problem with. It wasn't smart. It wasn't shocking. It was just stupid. I barely kept watching after this.

3: Pacing - Sometimes this seemed to rush, other times is dragged. And then there were the painful cliffhangers which are just cheap.

IMO Code Geass is average at best. No way I would ever call it a masterpiece.

1) You're right. The main character is somehow the "life" of an anime. If you don't like him, it'll be hard to appreciate the show in itself cause the main chara will be omnipresent ^^'

2) As I said to bonsaijodelfisch, I totally agree with that.

3) That's where I "disagree" with you. The cliffhangers are a trademark of every shonen manga. It was the same with Dragon Ball or One Piece, Bleach and Naruto recently. It sure is annoying but it makes you want to watch the next episode soooo badly XD

As someone who watched the show as it was airing, I can see the anger towards season 1's cliffhanger. But this wasn't the first time for a show to end like that. Not an anime but Battlestar Galactica season 1 did the exact same thing. Waiting 6-7 months for season 2 of Code Geass was hard to swallow to some people but I guess it wasn't for me since Gundam 00 took over Code Geass's time slot, so all that wait went by faster than expected.

The twist with Euphemia accidentally geassed may seem dumb at first but it was already foreshadowed when Lelouch's geass was having some control issues. Lelouch's method of doing things is indeed questionable but considering he acknowledges all the crap he's done, you really have to give him credit for being strong enough to bear all those sins, especially when large part of that comes into play at the end of season 2. It's rare to see a protagonist become a necessary evil for the good. For him to be hated is rather undeserved I would say.

There were some pacing issues here and there. One example is some the school related eps, since they hardly bear much relevance to the main plot, those could've been shortened to give some more highlights on some of the rushed eps.

Obviously, Code Geass is definitely not a masterpiece by a long shot. However, it deserves to be watched at least in its entirety.