Original Saku

Currently Airing & Watching Anime Discussion Topic

Just about everything I plan to watch this season has started so I'll make some comments:

D.Gray-man Hallow: ADHFKShf. EVERYTHING IS BEAUTIFUL. The animation is excellent and so much better than it used to be, and I like the new voice actors too. I'm so very much not ready for my heart to get ripped out yet again by Alma ;~; DGM is one of my oldest fandoms so I'm so happy it's making a big comeback. 

Mob Psycho 100: It looks great, I'm super excited for this too! Mob is too precious for words. I'm really glad the animation is keeping ONE's style, it really works well for the story and is a joy to watch. 

91 Days: I've been waiting for this to air for what feels like ages, it seems really interesting. So far so good!

Binan Koukou Chikyuu Boueibu LOVE! LOVE!: I somehow completely forgot this was getting a second season until I saw that the first ep came out. But I'm glad it is, I'm always up for dorky magical boys. 

Both of the Danganronpa 3s: I'm probably going to drop these tbh.

Mahoutsukai no Yome: Hoshi Matsu Hito: The first episode of this isn't even going to be available for another month but holy shit I'm so pumped. The preview looked incredible I can't wait. 

Bananya: This is hands down the best thing I've ever watched. So pure. 

And that's it for now. I thought about watching Orange too but eh. 

2 hours ago, Flame-X said:

Gundam Build Fighters Try Island Wars

Set your GP base! :D

yassssssssssssss @beni

7 hours ago, CAT5 said:

yassssssssssssss @beni

tumblr_inline_o0yndftR2T1rbsjbe_500.gif

I'm jking ofc. We need to watch this for obvious reasons (and hopefully there's even more precious shipping moments to keep my appetite appeased).

Dat theme song too. /o/

Finished

Erased - I wish all anime could be this compelling. This was amazing, and it made you feel for the characters.  Talk about suspense, it totally had you rooting for characters not to die.  My only criticism would be the ending, which felt a bit rushed and not as impactful as the rest of the series. Still, highly recommended. 

Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto - A hilarious over the top series that doesn't take itself too seriously. It revolves around Sakamato, a student who is so cool, he can  do and get out of the most ridiculous situations.  Aside from Sakamoto there are actually some interesting supporting characters that have moments to shine themselves. Most of the episodes are stand alone, but there is overarching continuity that ends up following Sakamoto's first year of school. The last episode seemed to come out of left field, but the resolution seemed logical because of the well established universe from episodes beforehand.  Recommended for a good laugh.

tumblr_o5gz8ffiCx1qhz95yo1_500.gif

Terraformars Season 2 - I'd say season 2 was good, but it definitely doesn't compare to the 1st season. There's a lot more action this season, but at the cost of what made season 1 better, like the suspense, deeper character backstories, and a more gritty and bleak feel. The series does take a different direction and there's a new threat , but I feel it takes some of the sense of dread away from the actual terraformars and the new threat for the most part isn't as horrifying as the terraformars themselves. There was still badass moments of action and glimmers of what made the 1st season excellent, but this season comes up a bit short.

Kanaberi Of The Iron Fortress - This started of very promising. The animation looked incredible and was eye candy throughout the entire series. The story was interesting, a steampunk feudal japan overun by zombie like creatures and cities now hidden behind giant walls that use crazy heavily armored trains for transportation? Yes count me in. The first few episodes were quite strong, but than halfway through the series it just starts to come apart and by the end it falls flat on it's face. The biggest problem with this series was it's writing. At one point it turned it's strong characters into typical archetype flawed characters you've seen in a whole bunch of other animes. Even before this happens, characters are making some really dumb decisions that seem to come out nowhere and that any logical person would have totally not made.

Towards the end, when the 2nd antagonist is introduced, his backstory and motivations are never quite explained or fleshed out. I hadn't seen such terrible writing for a villain since Lex Luthor in Batman Vs Superman. I really wanted to love this series, but instead it just left me lukewarm. If you've got time to kill, I'd say go ahead and watch it for the animation and action, otherwise pass.      

Gundum- Iron Blooded Brothers - Couldn't even finish this series and had to drop it towards the end because it just seem to drag on forever. I felt the story wasn't very compelling, the pacing was slow, and the characters weren't very interesting. Could be all the anime I've watched over the years has made me a bit jaded and I have higher expectations, but I'd take a pass on this. There's nothing exciting about this series, and if you take away the gundum name, it's just another run of the mill average anime that happens to have mecha. 

Grimgar - Halfway through this and I have mixed feelings about it. One episode I love it, the next I hate it. The art is no doubt, stellar, but the writing is so inconsistent. There's an awesome world to explore and that viewers want to see, but instead you spend entire episodes on characters you dumb down and made one dimensional archtypes. I actually wouldn't mind time spent on the characters, if the characters themselves were actually interesting and had something unique to offer, but they don't. Moreover I feel like it's trying to play up the drama and feels, when there was never a good foundation or characters to build that off on.  I have a  feeling this going to end up bad, unless it pulls off magic toward the second half.

Currently Finishing

Twin Star Exorcist
Don't you know? There are no Girls Online.

Recently tried the first episode of both Tales of Zestiria The X and Log Horizon since I thought they were complimentary. Too bad the RPG genre of anime just... fail. The world building is nonexistent, the progression is appalling, especially in the Tales one but I can't say I was expecting much since it's a game adaption and one of which I'm not too enamored with anyway. Kiznaiver was another recent one we've tried (me and @CAT5). I ADORE the designer. Shirow Miwa has her own manga I love, and has done other art involving Fire Emblem and supercell. She's one of my favourites, so of course the whole look of Kiznaiver caught my attention instantly even if I didn't realize straight away. Too bad the show itself is, yet again.. not too interesting. Only in the last minutes of the first episode did it get rather gripping, and then the ending came up. I doubt we'll continue it due to hearing it doesn't go anywhere, and the worst part: character development makes no sense. .-. 

I just can't with Shokugeki any more though. This one food battle/contest moment has been going on for far too long. I miss when the characters would interact with one another and not a constant making a meal segment with similar judges making the same reactions. Sure, it's funny, but none of the winners/losers have been unexpected, and I'm just no longer enjoying it with its pace now. Dropped all this lot.

In more positive news, I'm really enjoying the 2016's Berserk. Sure the CGI isn't what Berserk deserves (can't believe Tales of got THAT animation and poor Berserk... ;-;), but I'm glad it's gotten a second chance of an adaption at least! This is really making me impatient in getting to reading the manga. It's so exciting to see at least the most important parts of the manga animated. I can forgive them skipping some parts, and the CGI, for those reasons. It's Berserk, how could you not love!?
There's also ReLIFE we're enjoying, and my personal, greatly anticipated Orange adaption. I found this manga out when it first came about, and fell in love with the mangaka. Due to serialization problems because of the mangaka, I fell out of keeping up with it because it was either always late, or always changing its publishing. I now see that it had indeed concluded last year, so I'm ever so thrilled to have rediscovered and gotten back into it now of all times with its adaption. While I'm not too taken with the music choices, and the animation can look way TOO perfect with awkward movement, I'm just so thrilled it's an anime. I always thought it deserved it even when I didn't know what the conclusion was. It's so bittersweet and beautiful. One of my top Shojo pieces, COME AT ME.

My fiancee and I just finished Sakamoto. It was funny in parts, but overall I feel pretty meh about it. I felt like if it was a short form, it would probably have worked way better.

I also finish Kabanari of the Iron Fortress. I would be lying to you if I said anything but the retro aesthetics kept me around. It was pretty brainless, and the story arc of the second half of the show was just bad, but I honestly wasn't expecting it to be good. 

been watching that Re:Zero blablah isekai blablah. well it's pretty generic crap. and that shitload of moe makes me wanna puke lol. but i'm kinda in anime mood right now and i couldn't find anything better to watch so... on the other hand, fight here are quite enjoyable, especially the one in the end of first arc. 

On 7/27/2016 at 3:35 AM, Gaz said:

been watching that Re:Zero blablah isekai blablah. well it's pretty generic crap. and that shitload of moe makes me wanna puke lol. but i'm kinda in anime mood right now and i couldn't find anything better to watch so... on the other hand, fight here are quite enjoyable, especially the one in the end of first arc. 

Get further in before you call it generic, because The second and third arcs are where it's at in that show. It has really impressed me on a lot of fronts, characters have been so wonderful and I can't think of the last time I've been so enamored with certain characters that I really care about whats gonna happen to them next. Also that brings me to my sheer awe of the voice work in this show, it's god tier, especially the main protags. They have done an excellent job getting across the sheer terror the protag goes through with just the voice work and the face animation, I've been really impressed so far. animation has been pretty well done as well so far. Music has also been really great and reflects the seriousness f some scenes very well, plus I'm addicted to a lot of the catchy animu themes that this show has going on. but I digress there are some generic things like certain characters and plot lines, but the rest makes up for those I believe.

I'd say the show's biggest weakness might be the goofy scenes that the protag forces onto himself but I can forgive it because it actually has plot significance considering that's his way of coping with what's happening to him.

Spoiler

biggest critique would be just how outright pathetic and annoying the protag gets in some hopeless situations in the third arc so far, which also might be the shows best quality. Considering shows where the protag is just overpowered garbage and can calm breeze their way through everything, the realistic nature of I'm gonna lose my shit as in literally sit here in a pool of my own feces break downs the protag has in this show can somewhat seem fresh and realistic. But like I said sometimes you can't just help but love the characters so much that you want the protag to be a beast and do the overpowered thing, but it never happens xD

Best part of the show in my opinion is how real the protag feels and his reactions and feelings that he is having seem more realistic to me than most anime protagonists. He has an ego, and pride , and sadness, and fear, and lust, and greed. They do a really good job of representing these very human feelings in a lot of the scenes to the point where sometimes I can see myself reacting in the same manner if I was in his shoes. Not many anime have characters that can do that I think.

A very interesting show for sure, I hope you can make your way through it and maybe discuss what your take on all these things are.

Man, I just started Re:Zero and I honestly could barely get through the episode. I kind of hated it. I'm going to give it a try with a couple more episodes, but man that was not a good start.

58 minutes ago, Ito said:

Man, I just started Re:Zero and I honestly could barely get through the episode. I kind of hated it. I'm going to give it a try with a couple more episodes, but man that was not a good start.

You won't get the hang of the series without watching at least about 5 or 6 episodes. It's really misleading at the start because it needs to get into its flow, and it gets more intense and dark the further it goes. (If it's then still not your thing, I guess ReZero just isn't for you) But hell, it was the surprise of last season for me.

I agree with what @Original Sakusaid up there^. It's such a fresh wind in-between most of the series with a similar theme. I absolutely love how "real" Subaru is. How he gets his ups and downs. How he has to face the backlash of things he started without thinking things through. How he realizes he's fucked, basically.  Yes, there are definitely generic parts here and there but the main idea of the show, and Subaru's character development (greatly thanks to Kobayashi for voicing him so perfectly), are what keep me interested.

If the novel readers' comments are any indication, it'll just continue to get better and better.

Edited by Kaye

So i started to catch up with Naruto S because i watched one piece, and the website says it still airing. Im at 440's and i'm wondering does anyone no if the anime story writers are serious about this filler or if they are trolling? like how does saske still fuck up so hard even though the same shit didnt happen to him? Is the anime trying to say something about human nature?

10 minutes ago, blackdoll said:

So i started to catch up with Naruto S because i watched one piece, and the website says it still airing. Im at 440's and i'm wondering does anyone no if the anime story writers are serious about this filler or if they are trolling? like how does saske still fuck up so hard even though the same shit didnt happen to him? Is the anime trying to say something about human nature?

Idk I stopped watching the anime whenever this bullshit filler started around episode 430.... really what's the point? I've already finished the manga, so I know what happens and the anime is shit compared to it, plus I have to sit through 30 episodes of low budget filler.. fuck that. Studio Pierrot is just milking fans at this point, they have no reason to drag out this shit even more when the manga been completed for over a year now.

2 hours ago, Original Saku said:

Idk I stopped watching the anime whenever this bullshit filler started around episode 430.... really what's the point? I've already finished the manga, so I know what happens and the anime is shit compared to it, plus I have to sit through 30 episodes of low budget filler.. fuck that. Studio Pierrot is just milking fans at this point, they have no reason to drag out this shit even more when the manga been completed for over a year now.

im skimming it  and skippin. Its funny watching saske and other dumbasses. And even if the naruto series belongs in fictional hell Orochimaru is a still great and he pops up from time to time, another reason for me to skim. Anyway still wondering  if anyone has info behind that filler.

On 7/29/2016 at 8:51 AM, Ito said:

Oh dude you have to continue, after this weeks episode I am convinced that this show is doing things for me that other series have never done.

I am so invested right now it's crazy, don't get me wrong their was some rough patches along the way, but I am so glad I stuck through. Now I realize that those rough spots that annoyed me at first or put me off was something that was done on purpose just for this one single moment that the show is currently at... and now it's like I don't even mind anymore or to be more precise I understand and accept it now. I don't want to spoil anything, but I will say that the build up is ridiculous all to one single moment where it's beyond despair and just absolute futility, and then you think that this is it. There's no way it can get worse but you'd be wrong it gets way worse than you could of ever imagined, all the way to rock bottom. And then it happens. Like a golden ray of sunshine bursting through the clouds on a stormy day, hope. There is hope.

They really played the long game with this arc, and took great risks. I just can't believe it. AOTY. Ah wth.... Episode of the Year.

so i watched Re:Zero till 17th episode and shit's finally got real! 15th episode was the best in the show so far. 2 arc was even worse than first one tbh (that shitload of moe atrocities ughhhhhh) but it was worth struggling. 3rd arc also started with more moe (ewww) but after few episodes it finally became good. for me this show is much better than dog shit like SAO or No Game, No Life. even though i'm very picky about anime these days, and it's hard to find something that actually makes me impatiently wait for the next episode but there were a couple of episodes when that happened.

it's hard to call this anime masterpiece, yet it's really stands out among similar stuff.

also watched Shokugeni no Soma season 1. it really amazes me how japanese can make a big deal of even some petty shit like cooking lol! i'm not sure if the seriousness in this anime was sarcastic, but it looked to me so. "OMG HE MADE THAT CURRY MIXING SWEET CREAM WITH SPICES! IT MAKES ME WANNA CUUUUUUM GYAAAAAAA" it was hard not to laugh at moments like this. i guess it falls into category "so-bad yet-so-good". i hope they will bring the bullshit into a new level in season 2.

I'm hopping super late into the bandwagon, but I'm currently watching only One Piece and Ace Attorney.

And while One Piece doesn't really need an explanation in itself (besides, I just restarted from the beginning so I'm not up to date with it), Ace Attorney anime could possibly use some more insight.

I've only watched up until episode 5, but I have to say I'm impressed. The anime follows the game series with 90% loyalty, including every ridiculous "Objection!" moment. In the first episode Wright even makes a "false" objection, resulting in him being embarrassed and others stating there's absolutely nothing contradictory to the witness's testimony. Just like in the game, when you present evidence that has no contradiction to the statement. 

Every Ace Attorney fan, including myself, will have chills running down his or her spine whenever Wright and Edgeworth engage in a heated argument with objections and hold its. While I have had my fangirlish moments with other franchise as well, every trial in this series makes me giggle in glee like a 14-year-old VK fangirl seeing Ruki grope himself for the first time. 

The only downside there is to this series is that there seems to be two translations circling around the internet. One that kept the original, Japanese names of the characters and one that adapted the English versions into the translations. I, personally, prefer the latter. After playing the games, "Mitsurugi Reiji" just doesn't quite cut it the same way as "Miles Edgeworth". I have no emotional connection to the Japanese name. 

At the end, I would also like to point out that the opening is gay as fuck. And I love it. Unfortunately the opening changes in the middle of the series, like it seems to do with a lot of animes with 20+ episodes. Don't you hate that? You get so attached to the first opening and learn to associate it with the show and then silly creators go and change it to something less excitable. I WANT GOLDEN CHAINS ON WRIGHT AND EDGEWORTH FOREVER.

Peace out.

^ unfortunately, i can't share your enthusiasm about it, even though i love the game franchise wholeheartedly. it actually doesn't feel much like an anime but more like speedrun of the games tbh. it won't be a surprise if people who haven't played the games will not even bother to watch it after first episode. first half of the season was more or less okay for me, but the second doesn't look very promising. Franziska is not as bad ass as she was in games and am i the only one who thinks she looks a bit fat over there? poor thing ;__; 

i watched the first movie for Kizumonogatari. i've been waiting so long for this!! (as has most other fans probably) this is where everything begins. how long has it been since they first announced, or implied, that a movie for Kizumonogatari would be made anyway? well, i'm not disappointed at all. they decided to include some CGI animation in it  though, maybe because it's a movie, but it surprisingly works well IMO. it gives it a different feel from the anime series, which i prefer, but i'm not too bothered by it. still great animation as always. i can't wait to watch the next two parts! the second part  just aired yesterday so it may be a long while yet until it gets online.

Spoiler

and wow, shinobu looks fabulous in every form she has. A+++ for more screens of her in her true form.

(does this need a spoiler, idk. just to be safe i guess.)

Edited by plastic_rainbow

Watched up to episode 15 of Re:zero on my flights to and from SF. I'm going to finish it out, and I am not going to get in to it since I don't want to be that guy, but man the script is a shit show. I literally don't care about a single character so far lol (and am kind of actively rooting against Subaru lmao)

^ good luck with 18th episode lol. after that one i somehow lost interest to this anime, now it's hard to force myself to watch it. but i still dl episodes every week and plan to watch it when all episodes are out. 

still watching Bersuck and D.Gay-Moon because of nostalgia(not the sysop one). 

any other goodies this season?