Original Saku

Currently Airing & Watching Anime Discussion Topic

kinda looking forward to spring season. new jojo, kanojo to kanojo no neko, ace attorney's anime adaptation - shit, i don't recall last time i watched 3 new animes concurrently! :o

kinda looking forward to spring season. new jojo, kanojo to kanojo no neko, ace attorney's anime adaptation - shit, i don't recall last time i watched 3 new animes concurrently! :o

Kanojo to kanojo no neko was a 4 piece ova wasn't it? It's already aired and finished. Unless I missed something.

Kanojo to kanojo no neko was a 4 piece ova wasn't it? It's already aired and finished. Unless I missed something.

yeah it's just i haven't finished winter season yet (Dyurarara!!) so i have yet to start all the new stuff :v

The shows I'm interested in this new season are:

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress
Bungo Stray Dogs
Joker Game
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4: Diamond Is Unbreakable
Big Order
Macross Delta
Kagewani: Shou

Of all those picks, my most anticipated are Macross Delta and Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress.

Quick recap of the last season. I didn't watch too much as a lot wasn't appealing to me.

Caught up on Dimension W pretty quickly. I heard they took some liberties here and there but the story was interesting and unique. The anime took the time to explain the rules of its universe (which were rooted in pseudoscience but convincing enough to sound real as if the author did a bit of research first) and then stuck by them the whole show. An entertaining 12 episode anime I could recommend to anyone in the mood for something different.

Schwarzemarken had promise but quickly deteriorated into a B-movie sci-fi plot with no discernible direction, the threat of a threat never materializing, and characters doing things only because the plot demands something happen for the sake of progress. It tried to throw a left hook in the first episode by appearing as if no one is safe and then for the next ten episodes no one is in any real danger - and you know it. Also there's incest and that's gross. I heard the main character brains his sister not too long after but I didn't have enough patience to wait it out.

Loved all 10 episodes of Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!. Much funnier than I anticipated it to be (as in it's actually funny and not "Dagashi Kashi" levels of boring) and I can't wait for S2!

Ace of Diamond is done. I still don't know what to do with my Mondays.

Asterisk is coming back but if it continues to be a generic battle harem I'm turning it off.

Boku no Hero Academia looks like it will be a fun and interesting adventure.

What the fuck did they do to Terraformars: Revenge? The creepy horror feeling is all gone. I was terrified every week for who would die and who would get maimed and how much smarter the roaches would be. They were smart, determined, and relentless. The colors are off, the roaches look stiff, the gore has disappeared, there's fan service (did you REALLY have to ask for a shower scene 3 times in one episode?), Michelle isn't Michelle, and now the bloody fuckers walk away when one of them gets his head kicked off. It transformed from a seinen to a light shounen at best. I really don't know how I feel about this.

Saw this today and almost choked xD

http://haruhichan.com/wpblog/67122/shirobako-producers-discuss-possibility-of-sequel/

I would give so much for a shirobako sequel, really one of the hidden gems of the last few years.

Started watching a few of the new shows, haven't started everything that I want to yet... I'm gonna hold off a few weeks until I start everything and get a few episodes in on each and then I'll make a master post with my impressions and thoughts on everything this season.

I will say though that JoJo is so good! like hell yeah I'm so hype... David productions hitting it out of the park once again, doing god's work :D

Thoughts on the new season so far:

Really liking Boku no Hero Academia. I can always go for a started from the bottom feels trip.

Asterisk is alright. Seems to be starting stronger than last season at least.

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress is dope. Interesting plot and story with incredible potential. Feels like Snowpiercer with zombies.

I have similar comments for Sousei no Onmyouji. Really liking the interesting art direction with this one.

Seisen Cerberus has potential to be interesting as well. I laughed at the synopsis and the name DAGAN ZOD but when it came to the animation it was much more mature and refined than I initially thought.

Joker Game is straight heat. A psychological spy thriller with an interesting twist.

I can grow to like Terraformars Revenge if they stick to the source material and hope the BDs are gory like season one.

Ace Attorney  and Beyblade: Burst looks like it's going to be fun. I hope Phoenix Wright stays a savage. The latter is purely nostalgia.

I'm still watching Pokemon XY&Z on the low. It's still for kids but the battle animations have stepped up a notch. Not quite as nice as the specials but much better than the dreck that was everything before X and Y. Low key Pokemon has better animation than 80% of anime currently airing that's how you know The Pokemon Company rakes in billions.

Is anyone watching Concrete Revolutio? Is it making sense or is it still a complete mess?

Overall I'm pretty pleased! Especially considering Attack on Titan was supposed to be here but isn't.

I've started the 3rd season of Sailor Moon Crystal, Boku no Hero Academia, Bungou Stray Dogs, Kiznaiver, Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, Sakamoto desu ga, Re:Zero, Sousei no Onmyouji and Mayoiga. There are only 1 episodes out (2 for some) but they went pretty much how i expected them to... I absolutely love Kabaneri already. YES GIVE ME GOOD ART, STEAMPUNK THEME AND ACTION.  I love comedies like Sakamoto so I'm sure i am gonna enjoy it. I really enjoy the current Sailor Moon arc too.

Everything else will be either a hit or a miss for me. Especially Sousei no Onmyouji that i picked and watched with the lowest expectations possible. Also i read people saying it is gonna be a 4-cour. I hope they were lying.

Bungou Stray Dogs and Re:Zero were ok. I am trying to take Mayoiga seriously but I am assuming the serious shit has yet to come(i hope lol)

Kiznaiver was good too. Although I would have preferred if the characters were connected by "strong emotions" rather than pain. OFC that isn't affecting my enjoyment, just a random thought i had.

This season is looking a lot better than Winter in my opinion, that's for sure.

I hope I can keep up with spring season. I have an infamous history of falling behind and giving up when i am 2-3 episodes behind.... :<

7 minutes ago, Kaye said:

Mayoiga: I don't really get how someone can write a script in which I get annoyed with every single character apart from one. But it is a thing.

oh thank god it wasnt just me

Edited by seurong

So far I've started most of what I wanted to watch this new season.

Bungou Stray Dogs: I read the manga of this so I was a little hyped at it getting an anime. Looks good so far.

Endride: Can't say much yet other than that it's your obvious "I'M A DENSE KID IN A NEW WORLD AND I WANT TO GO HOME" plot. One of the main boys looks like his voice actor and since I can't unsee it, I've just been calling him by his voice actor's name instead.

Flying Witch: started this randomly. It's cute, I guess.

Gakusen Toshi Asterisk S2: I watched the first part, so I guess I have to watch the second part too. At least I'm glad we'll be seeing some more fighting.

Joker Game: Few minutes into the episode and I was totally sold tbh. Serious series don't show up too often, and it's always nice to see them done nicely.

Kiznaiver: Learned of its existence in the same way as I learned of Joker Game being a thing: they share the character designer (who's the managka of DOGS). Looks interesting so far.

Koutetsujou no Kabaneri: This thing got more fear across in one episode than SNK did in 25. Main boy's got some guts, and I'm ready for more. When is it time for the next episode?

Kuromukuro: Not entirely sure why I started this but I guess it'll be my new mecha of the season.

Kyoukai no Rinne S2: Same thing as with Asterisk. I watched the first season, so why not the second. First season was entertaining after all. Nothing too serious or deep, but fun.

Macross Δ: Let me admit I'm mainly here for the (male) voice cast, but I won't say no to nicely animated mecha either.

Mayoiga: I don't really get how someone can write a script in which I get annoyed with every single character apart from one. But it is a thing.

Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096: TV Anime cut of the original OVA episodes. Considering I never got myself to watch the last two episodes, I might as well just watch it again in one go.

Re:Zero: Now, while this plot might sound familiar because it's about a kid getting pulled to another world, that's not exactly what I thought about when watching the first episode. It's more the fact he's stuck in some kind of loop thing that makes it interesting. Animation's done well too. I'll keep watching this for now.

Seisen Cerberus: I should have known the main kid was going to be a mess.

Sousei no Onmyouji: I have no idea about the story (and tbh, the whole thing of them being fated to be together is a little lame) but I'm here for the fights and animation so far. I also totally get why Hanae was cast for the main role.

Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge: Listening to main boy talking with such a listless voice just makes me want to flop onto my bed and disappear into my mountain of pillows for the rest of the day.

Terra Formars S2: While I'm not really a Terra Formars fan and I have no idea why I'm even watching this, I'm still sad they changed the artstyle and animation. I liked the darker tone a lot more than this.

Still have to start Concrete Revolutio S2.

----

I'm watching way too many series again... Why do I do this to myself?

Edited by Kaye

2 hours ago, Zeus said:

Is anyone watching Concrete Revolutio? Is it making sense or is it still a complete mess?

I dropped that show because I got like 5-6 episodes behind and just didn't want to bother with the cryptic game it was playing at xD

12 hours ago, Jigsaw9 said:

Only watching the new season of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, good enough for me so far.

21 minutes ago, Original Saku said:

good man!

It's already up?

Just watched Big Order's first episode and I liked it. I didn't read the manga so I hope it is as good as it seemed  >_>

Edited by seurong

Out of what's currently airing, I'm watching Boku no Hero Academia, Concrete Revolutio season 2, Endride, Jojo Part 4, Kiznaiver, and Macross Delta.  I'm watching the Gundam Unicorn TV series just to see what's been added/removed from the OVAs.  I'm planning on watching Magi: Sinbad no Bouken when it starts airing.  I have not seen any of the previous two seasons of new Jojo anime nor have read the manga, but I really am enjoying what I have watched so far.  (The only thing Jojo I seen before were those old OVAs from back in the day.)

For old series, I'm watching Giant Gorg and Change!! Getter Robo: The Final Days of the World (aka Getter Robo Armageddon).  I also want to rewatch Super Dimension Century Orguss, but I have a bunch of back-logged anime I need to complete before I should rewatch it.

So far this season I'm watching:

- Gakusen Toshi Asterisk S2

- Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge

- Netoge no Yome wa Onnanoko ja Nai to Omotta

- Shounen Maid

- Kuma Miko

- Flying Witch

I also just binged and finished both Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance & Saijaku Muhai no Bahamut, which were your typical battle harem series... They were ok I guess.

Asterisk S2 is a touch better, but still kinda meh. Netoge resonates too much w/ me since I used to be a diehard mmorpg guy. Flying Witch and Tanaka-kun are super lax and are enjoyable with a nice cup of coffee/tea. Kuma Miko and Shounen Maid are just adorable. 

I need to pick up Re:Zero, Mayoiga (I liked Another), and Koutetsujou no Kabaneri.

Hundred looks to be another battle harem, I'll probably watch it when it finishes airing and the reviews come in. 

Just finished watching Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans. It had a rough start but I was really into it by the end.

I kind of wish the mobile suits are a bit more distinct and that they emphasized that machinery more than they did the inter-character drama, but I suppose it served it's purpose because I was upset whenever a main character died (which, like the old series, happens a lot).

I need to finish watching Gundam Unicorn as well. Don't even remember where I left off with that one :/

Also watching Digimon-Tri whenever those get released. I'm enjoying it so far, but I really miss the 90's camp that they seriously gutted from this adaptation. Why don't they emote their attacks? Where are the awful puns? Why are Tai and Matt always fighting still???? At least they kept with tradition and made sure Leomon died.

Downloaded both seasons of Space Dandy today, I'll check it out, and afterwards I'll finally get started with Stardust Crusaders' anime adaptation (either that, or skip straight ahead to Diamond is Unbreakable, since that's my favorite Jojo part...)

On 18-4-2016 at 4:54 AM, Peace Heavy mk II said:

I need to finish watching Gundam Unicorn as well. Don't even remember where I left off with that one :/

Might as well just watch the anime run that started this season. I totally forgot most of the OVAs and never managed to finish them, so I'm just watching the anime series at the moment. Not sure if it'll have additional scenes or anything, but it should be mostly the same.

watched Boku dake ga inai machi. welp this was a good shit. i mean REALLY good shit. the plot was pretty interesting, most of the characters weren't boring/annoying, watched the entire anime in one go. it seems like NoitaminA still delivers some nice stuff now and then.