Original Saku

Currently Airing & Watching Anime Discussion Topic

29 minutes ago, platy said:

As much as I love giving new things a try, I'm losing more and more of my patience towards most anime, especially anything involving a 14 year who wants her teacher to impregnate her at all costs. Why.

Oh, this one is particularly hilarious. The only reason why the series is getting animated is b/c the author also did Koe de Oshigoto!, which is another similarly (if not more) raunchy series that somehow got animated. The manga has been around since 2017, and NO GROUP has bothered to scanlate it. With all the shitty manga that gets translated on a regular basis, that says something, lmao.

There are some series in that territory that are redeemable, depending on the comedy, but I'll only approach any of them in print. It helps me weed out the bs.

Edited by colorfuljinsei

Recently started Lupin the 3rd part 1 since the newest Lupin anime came out. Haven't watched the Lupin series since part 2 was on adult swim back in the day, and it brings a lot of nostagia. I appreciate it a lot more than I did when I was younger, and I'd really love to check out the newest series!

Anyone knows any decent places to download or watch anime? Currently looking for Cyber City Oedo 808, but I can only find it on youtube with English language. But thought I'd pick up some anime again. Been a few years since I watched it regularly, but I need some place to get it from.

Buying is always an option, but a lot of it is so fucking expensive.

Edit: Forget about it!

Edited by Bear

For Spring 2019 I'll be watching Kimetsu no Yaiba, Carole & Tuesday and Sarazanmai

I'm not even doing this on purpose but 2019 has been a huge PTW clean up so far. Not many seasonals I find interesting.

Really wish I had watched DnA when I downloaded it last year (now no longer in my hdd) and Touch so I could watch the sequels

Daiya just keeps getting longer and longer lol

I finished 26 titles so far, some of them were:

Mimi wo Sumaseba: Not a big ghibli fan but this one was pretty entertaining

Omoide no Marnie: The opposite of above

Gunslinger Girl: I watched 2 episodes of this almost a decade ago but I finally watched it forreal this time! It's a typical 'I love my older brother!" show except with brainwashed girls trained to be good with guns but still cool. I plan to watch S2 as well.

Akira: meh

Chobits: I loved the manga as a kid and went over my friend's house to read it because she collected it but man is this fucking trash

Escaflowne (Movie): I watched the TV series earlier this year and went into this expecting the typical summary version but this movie has an entire different story! I heard the manga is also completely different. Apparently this was intentional. I thought it was pretty interesting. I prefer the anime's story but the movie's character designs. 

Shoujo Kageki Revue Starlight: I'm not into music-themed anime but I found this ridiculously cool. I will end my post with one of the battles.

Edited by Chi

I want to watch the latest Lupin special which came out a couple months ago, but I don't know where the fuck to watch it since every anime site I used to go to is fucked with viruses now, FUCK MY LIFE

On 1/22/2019 at 1:42 PM, platy said:

Promised Neverland is killing me. I've been wanting to read it for ages, so I decided to check out the anime. Definitely investing in the manga, it'll be one of those where waiting for S2 will be too painful. 

Dororo is a weird one, it's a bit too gruesome for my taste but I wanna see where it goes. 

Domestic na kanojo will probably win mediocrity of the season but its getting by on the hype that the mc has actually had sex with someone and yet it's not really a hentai. 

Dororo! Definitely plenty of violence but it does have some surprisingly oh, not every character is terrible moments. That and I keep listening to the theme song on repeat.

On 1/22/2019 at 6:30 PM, Paraph said:

I had a bit of an anime nostalgia kick last summer after a long hiatus. I watched almost all of the Ghibli films, which were amazing (besides Tales from Earthsea..dear god) But also watched Kare Kano which I had always wanted to. Watched Lain, Boogiepop Phantom and Noir also. As for newer ones I saw Yuri!!! On Ice, LoveLive! Sunshine and orange. orange stands out as being one of the best anime I have seen in years.

I'm really wanting to watch Psycho Pass, Steins;Gate and finish up Fruits Basket.

Kare Kano is one of those really early series I loved but never finished. What did you think of it? Psycho Pass (at least the first season anyway) is a great choice. And so is Fruits Basket, especially with all the buzz about the incoming remake.

On 2/5/2019 at 7:24 AM, K-x-H said:

Spring Anime Chart 2019 is now available from here:

https://www.livechart.me/spring-2019/tv

Super excited about more One Punch Man. It is one of the few series my husband watched with me. There's usually only one or none of those per season. Aside from that, I'm looking forward to...

Bungou Stray Dogs - Surprisingly cohesive story with entertaining character powers

Kimetsu no Yaiba - Probably most anticipated of the new series, the manga is solid stuff and I have a soft spot for monster hunting?
Fruits Basket - Hello nostalgia power and all my old character loves

Fairy Gone - The premise is interesting although I can't tell if it just going to be one of those series that is dark for the sake of being dark or will actually have any depth

Jojo - I always love Jojo although Joseph will probably remain my favorite incarnation forever

Kabuki-chou Sherlock - I'll try anything mystery, and lead character has an interesting design
Sarazanmai - Another one with a delightfully strange premise. Really though all I needed was to know Kunihiko Ikuhara is directing it. :P

I’m currently watching Meiji Tokyo Renka. It all started as a fun thing to watch and 5 minutes into it, I was already emotionally invested in Mori Ougai XD.

Speaking of, I cannot wait for Bungou Stray Dogs season 3 to happen!! I have seen the trailer like 5 times now and I can’t get over it: the new characters, how further can they go with the plot and not deviate too much from the manga, and Osamu Dazai. 

Speaking of Mamoru, can we stop and talk about Carol and Tuesday? I saw the trailer and I already cried 😭. The graphic is soooo beautiful and the whole theme looks very nice and warm. Can’t wait!

Edited by Triangle

Not sure if I should be posting this here or Recently Watched Movies thread but...

I saw Fate/stay night: Heaven's Feel - II. Lost Butterfly at a one night showing at a local theater. It's slightly better than the first one in terms of how dark it is and the action intensity. However, like all Fate anime, it's got some serious pacing issues. You have 30-40 min talk scenes and 30 min of straight up action. Very unbalanced and poorly edited to me. I don't know if this is a visual novel thing that's hard to adapt into a movie form but that's my only major gripe with it. After seeing this flick, I fully support Shiro X Sakura ship. Their romance is far more realized than the other routes I've seen. The Salter vs Herc fight was quite the spectacle. It really made me wonder why Salter is a 4* in FGO in the first place considering how OP she is. Since there's one more movie after this, it ends in a cliffhanger followed by Aimer's awesome new song in the ED. Spring 2020 is going to be a painful wait and it's going to be very interesting how they'll end it.

On 3/1/2019 at 11:44 PM, Chi said:

For Spring 2019 I'll be watching Kimetsu no Yaiba, Carole & Tuesday and Sarazanmai

I'm not even doing this on purpose but 2019 has been a huge PTW clean up so far. Not many seasonals I find interesting.

Really wish I had watched DnA when I downloaded it last year (now no longer in my hdd) and Touch so I could watch the sequels

Daiya just keeps getting longer and longer lol

my updated spring plans...

5bfxFVd.png

I wasn't gonna watch Fairy Gone because of P.A. Works but the previews look cool enough...Still hesitant though

I learned that Mix has an all new cast and it doesn't require the viewer to have watched Touch so I'm gonna be watching it now

Been slowly watching My Hero Academia and just realized that the music is composed by the same guy who did the OST for Gundam Build Fighters (林ゆうき / Hayashi Yuuki) - and that's pretty exciting for me, as I thought the music for the Build Fighters series was great. Dude really excels at creating that "heroic/motivational" vibe in his music and it fits perfectly with these series:

I've been watching Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works. It's on Netflix and I always liked the look of the Servant characters when I saw fanart of them floating around, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

It's alright, but I'm getting really sick of every single battle ending in a draw or with one person going "Finish them!" and their ally basically going "No, that's enough... for now!" and walking away.

1 hour ago, violetchain said:

I've been watching Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works. It's on Netflix and I always liked the look of the Servant characters when I saw fanart of them floating around, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

It's alright, but I'm getting really sick of every single battle ending in a draw or with one person going "Finish them!" and their ally basically going "No, that's enough... for now!" and walking away.

Watch heavens feel after that and you'll be blown away 

That exciting time with the new season of anime just starting out. My first watch was the first episode of Kimetsu no Yaiba. I'm Extremely happy with it. I already love the manga and the anime does it such justice. Beautifully done. Next up, probably the nostalgia of the new Fruits Basket. :P

Edited by daintypersnicketydingo
can't spell. :P

Fairy Gone isn't really an anime i'm into but i gave it a shot since i like the character design (same as JJBA)

So I've watched the first 2 eps of One Punch Man Season 2. I don't know about everyone else but this adaptation has been so flat. This is not just the visuals though, it's also the voice acting. Is it strange that I find the manga pops out a lot more in the humor and the action scenes? I know JC Staff is a bit more competent based on some of their previous works but alas. The good thing I can say so far is the pacing. The plot has been progressing pretty fast as if they crammed multiple manga chapters in a single ep.

Currently watching two anime series: Gundam Blood Orphans and Fruits Basket. Two totally different genres and series, but I grew up with Fruits Basket and I love the Gundam series. (I also build some Gundams on occasion.)

Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans - When I saw children soldiers in the series, I was afraid there might be a repeat of Gundam 00 where the main character would be like Setsuna and be a "I love you, Gundam! Marry me!" type of character. I understand why Setsuna was made that way, but sometimes it made for very stilted character development. I'm still in the beginning, so it doesn't seem that way at the moment, but I guess it could always change. Like most Gundam series, there's also the princess/lady character who always wants to set things right and/or fight for peace. I'm curious to see what her role in the series will be or if she will remain in the sidelines. I'm also interested in the deeper themes this series will dig into and how the characters will develop in the nitty-gritty universe they live in.

Fruits Basket - I watched the original anime way back in 2001, and I really enjoyed it. With the manga series finished, I'm excited to see how it'll be adapted in the new version. So far, I'm finding it hilarious and adorably cute especially the interactions between Tohru, Yuki, and Kyo. It's been sometime since I've read the manga or watched the original series, but I believe the art style in the latest version differs from the 2001 anime series, and I'm digging it. Also, I'm not an artist by any stretch, but I find the art animation lively and comedic. The series looks great and the music sounds nice as well. Eager to see how season one turns out!

Edited by monkeybanana4
typo

On 4/16/2019 at 11:07 PM, moniker said:

Fairy Gone isn't really an anime i'm into but i gave it a shot since i like the character design (same as JJBA)

That's one of the series I really wanted to like. But I just watched episode five and can't find myself caring about the characters or what's happening. To me it mostly feels like it exists to showcase neat fights.

On 4/17/2019 at 8:33 PM, Flame-X said:

So I've watched the first 2 eps of One Punch Man Season 2. I don't know about everyone else but this adaptation has been so flat. This is not just the visuals though, it's also the voice acting. Is it strange that I find the manga pops out a lot more in the humor and the action scenes? I know JC Staff is a bit more competent based on some of their previous works but alas. The good thing I can say so far is the pacing. The plot has been progressing pretty fast as if they crammed multiple manga chapters in a single ep.

Oh, I haven't felt that way about it at all. I'll have to pay more attention to the voice acting. I thought there was good depth of feeling for moments like King's reveal or Fubuki's realizations.

On 5/3/2019 at 5:23 AM, K-x-H said:

Summer Anime Chart 2019 is now available from here:

https://www.livechart.me/summer-2019/tv

Very happy to continue with Kimetsu no Yaiba and Fruits Basket for the upcoming season. Both have been great adaptions this season. :D As for other series I've already read, I'm keen on seeing Dr. Stone and Vinland Saga. Vinland Saga is one of my favorite series of the past couple years. But I feel like it might not appeal to a lot of people because it is like Golden Kamuy in some ways. Combat but every once in awhile, every day stuff like farming. BEM is something I know nothing about but I like the description and character designs.

It seems like "being transported into a game world"-series are multiplying at an even more terrifying rate. I'm trying not to be grumpy and close minded, so even though summer season also looks garbage, I'll give these series a try. 

Enen no Shouboutai - Spiritual fire fighters, it's different at least! 

Uchi no Ko no Tame naraba, Ore wa Moshikashitara Maou mo Taoseru kamo Shirenai - this could go horribly wrong and I may be diving deep into loli territory 💀
Nah I changed my mind

Dr. Stone 

Araburu Kisetsu no Otome-domo yo.

Atm I'm watching Dororo, attack on titan and occasionally Space Dandy S2. I'm gonna start Carole & Tuesday and One Punch Man soon. 

I started on the second Lupin series a couple weeks back, but managed to only watch the first episode. I also went on to watch the first episodes of the other series for comparison, and from what it looks like I'm probably gonna hate part 5 because it revolves around the internet...

Currently watching Seven Deadly Sins on Netflix and I'm so conflicted. The story, music, and action are all awesome but the constant ecchi is SO offputting. I'm up for butts and boobs but come on =.=

My spring ended up being...

WZDf0L2.png

Sarazanmai is definitely my favorite so far. Ikuhara really knows how to blown me away with his presentation. :o 

Carole & Tuesday is up there as one of the best shows this season for me too.

Demon Slayer is pretty entertaining.

I dropped Fairy Gone and started Hitoribocchi. Plan to start Senryuu Shoujo and Dororo before they finish airing.. Maybe. I don't think I can catch up with Dororo. :cry:

Recently I rewatched Paprika and loved it a bit more than the first time. I'm gonna watch Millenium Actress this week.

Finally started watching Kizumonogatari. I've only watched Part I for now. The animation is pretty sweet but I prefer the TV series' artstyle.

Once I'm done, I only have Owari (+ Ge) and Zoku left to watch! Man that took a while :lol: 

Edited by Chi

Just finished the third season of Overlord. I think it was way better than the second one, though still not as good as the first one. I'm also currently watching One Punch Man season 2 and Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou. OPM has been pretty... boring? Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou then again is something I've really liked, it's a bit slow and not the kind I'd usually watch but the visuals are cute and the atmosphere is really great.

Here are the series I'm familiar with that'll be airing this summer (I'm covered for the next 5~10 years in adaptations, lmao):

Rating System:

Spoiler

Not good, don't bother

Not up my alley

Not the best, but potentially mindless fun.

Ambivalent

Decent

Great

• Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka II
    • Danmachi gets a second season. It'll be halfway decent, perhaps? Certainly the material is there, it's just the execution w/ the pacing that's on the line here. I'm a bit shaky with J.C. Staff b/c they can be pretty bad.
  • Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou
    • It's an isekai series that starts out really edgy & angsty but quickly simmers down and becomes overwhelmingly fanservice-y. I have the manga stalled at the moment, simply b/c there are other series that do this concept better. The LN doesn't indicate that the story gets better either.
  • Toaru Kagaku no Accelerator
    • To Aru Majutsu no Index III was pretty underwhelming since it was all pretty rushed. This is a spinoff that covers the Accelerator + Last Order duo, and is NOT CANON to the main series. There's a stylistic change that makes me slightly optimistic, and it seems like the alt. stories (like Railgun) seem to fare better. 
  • Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san 2
    • Season 2 of Takagi-san. It's all good fun/banter, but I personally prefer the manga format.
  • Enen no Shouboutai
    • This will probably be pretty good. Same author as Soul Eater's, but it's a unique enough concept where it stands out on its own. The shounen tropes are def. there, but I don't this this one will disappoint. 
  • Isekai Cheat Magician
    • Eh, expect this to go the way of Kenja no Mago... BAD. You have a really OP protag pair that basically mows through opponents like swiss cheese.  If you're looking for good story writing, most isekai aren't it. 
  • Dumbbell Nan Kilo Moteru?
    • Girls & Dumbbells... It's a bunch of japes and exercise instructionals. This will have as much substance as that one "push-up" anime that aired a few years ago with some added comedy.
  • Tsuujou Kougeki ga Zentai Kougeki de Ni-kai Kougeki no Okaasan wa Suki Desu ka?
    • Isekai setting with an overbearing mother "concept", lol... Will likely fare better than "Cheat Magician", but I don't think J.C Staff will do Pochi's artwork justice (the only other redeeming factor in the series aside from the brief comedy bits.)
  • Kawaikereba Hentai demo Suki ni Natte Kuremasu ka?
    • Harem antics. Not "great", but it has its audience.
  • Tejina-senpai
    • More japes... It's cute and funny, but gets kinda fanservice-y. It'll be a 15 min. short, which is appropriate b/c it's similar to Senryuu Shoujo in pacing.
  • Sounan desu ka?
    • I read the first chapter of this. It's not really a stand-out series, so I wouldn't expect much other than japes. 
  • Uchi no Musume
    •  This is actually a really cute series that might do pretty well. I typically tell people to avoid spoilers, but this one might be helpful in your decision making:
      • Spoiler

This goes the way of Usagi Drop in the light novel ("musume" becomes"kanojo" in an age-gap romance.) I don't think the series will be adapted that far, but, like Usagi Drop, the romance weirded me out. If you pretend the LN doesn't exist, this series is pretty good.

Stuff I'll check out:

• Cop Craft
  • Lord El-Melloi II Sei no Jikenbo: Rail Zeppelin Grace Note
    • These two look REALLY up my alley. I need to watch the OVA of the latter that aired in 2018.
  • Araburu Kisetsu no Otome-domo yo.

• I don't know if i'll stick with this, but I'll try out the manga.

• Machikado Mazoku

• J.C Staff... It looks cute, so I'll bite.

• Maou-sama, Retry!

• Granbelm

Also going to mention that Isekai series aren't going away. As someone who picks up new manga on the daily, half of the new series I run into are all isekai plots. They're easy to crank out and publish b/c they don't require backstories (memory loss trope) and character development = "leveling". This is seemingly the best way for newbie mangaka to make bank on a series (it's low risk.) If I'm running into all of them now in manga form, expect more adaptations down the line. (I feel like one of those "doomsday" guys w/ the signs)

Admittedly, they're fun mindless reads, but they're generally pretty bad. Adaptations make them ten times worse.

Edited by colorful人生