Original Saku

Currently Airing & Watching Anime Discussion Topic

So, for those who have not been sailing the high seas and use Crunchyroll, yesterday you lost all of the Funimation licensed shows. Credits to user SoThatsPrettyBrutal on r/anime. It's already been shown that the increase in streaming service options has pushed more people back into piracy...

Here's the list:

Spoiler

Gone:

.hack//G.U. Trilogy

.hack//Legend of the Twilight

.hack//Quantum

.hack//Roots

.hack//SIGN

.hack//SIGN OVA

A Certain Magical Index

A Certain Magical Index (Movie)

A Certain Magical Index II

A Certain Scientific Railgun

A Certain Scientific Railgun S

A good librarian like a good shepherd

Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero

Ai Yori Aoshi

Ai Yori Aoshi: Enishi

Akira

And you thought there is never a girl online?

Aquarion

Aquarion EVOL

Aquarion Logos

Aria the Scarlet Ammo

Aria the Scarlet Ammo AA

Armitage III

Assassination Classroom

Assassination Classroom Second Season

Attack on Titan: Junior High

BAYONETTA: Bloody Fate

Baka & Test - Summon the Beasts - (1, 2, OVA)

Baldr Force EXE

Barakamon

Basilisk

Black Blood Brothers

Black Butler Season 2 (+OVA)

Black Cat

Black Lagoon

Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail

BlazBlue: Alter Memory

Blessing of the Campanella

Blood Blockade Battlefront

Brothers Conflict

Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040

Buddy Complex

Burst Angel

C-Control

C3 Anime

Cassshern Sins

Castle Town Dandelion

Chaos Dragon

Chaos;HEAd

Cheer Boys!!

Claymore

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2

Code Geass: Akito the Exiled

Cowboy Bebop

Coyote Ragtime Show

D-Frag!

D.Gray-man (Seasons 1-4, Hallow)

DAIMIDALER: PRINCE VS. PENGUIN EMPIRE

Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak High School

Danganronpa: The Animation

Darker Than Black

Date A Live

Date A Live II

Deadman Wonderland

Death Parade

Desert Punk

Devil May Cry

Disgaea

Doamayger-D

Dragon Age: Dawn of the Seeker

Dragonaut -THE RESONANCE-

Eden of the East (series + movies)

Endride

Ergo Proxy

Eureka Seven

Eureka Seven (Movie)

Eureka Seven AO

Excel Saga

FIRST LOVE MONSTER

Fractale

Freezing

Freezing Vibration

GARO THE ANIMATION

GARO: CRIMSON MOON

Ga-Rei-Zero

Gad Guard

GANTZ

Ghost in the Shell: Arise (+ Alternative Architecture)

Girls Bravo

Glass Fleet

Good Luck Girl

Gosick

Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash

Gun X Sword

Gungrave

Gunslinger Girl

Gunslinger Girl - Il Teatrino

Guyver: The Bioboosted Armor

HAL

Haganai

Haganai NEXT

Haibane Renmei

Heat Guy J

Heaven's Lost Property (all)

Hellsing

Hellsing Ultimate

Hero Tales

Hetalia (Axis Powers, World Series, The Beautiful World, The World Twinkle)

High School DxD (all except Hero)

Hyouka

Hyperdimension Neptunia

Ikki Tousen (all)

In Search of the Lost Future

Inari Kon Kon

Is this a Zombie?

Is this a Zombie? of the Dead

Jormungand

Junjo Romantica 3

Jyu-Oh-Sei

Kaleido Star

Kaleido Star: New Wings

Karneval

Kaze No Stigma

Kiddy Grade

King of Thorn

Kingdom (seasons 1 and 2)

Kumaniko -Girl Meets Bear

Kurau Phantom Memory

LASTEXILE -Fam, the Silver Wing

Last Exile

Laughing Under the Clouds

Lord Marksman and Vanadis

Love Live! Sunshine!! Season 1

Lucky Star

Magikano

Maken-ki (1 and 2)

Master of Marital Hearts

Michiko & Hatchin

Mikagura School Suite

Moeyo Ken

MoonPhase

Murder Princess

My-HiME

NO-RIN

Nichijou - My Ordinary Life

NINJA SLAYER FROM ANIMATION

Noein: To Your Other Self

Noir

Noragami

Noragami Aragoto

Oh! Edo Rocket

Okami-san and Her Seven Companions

Omamori Himari

OniAi

Origin: Spirits of the Past

Ouran High School Host Club

Outlaw Star

Overlord

PSYCHO-PASS (1, 2, Extended)

PUCHIM@S (1, 2)

Pandora in the Crimson Shell Ghost Urn

Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom

Pretear

Prince of Stride: Alternative

Princess Jellyfish

Project Blue Earth SOS

Psychic School Wars

Pumpkin Scissors

Puzzle & Dragons X

RIN ~Daughters of Mnemosyne~

Rage of Bahamut: Genesis

Ragnarok - The Animation

Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace

Record of Lodoss War

Red Data Girl

Red Garden

Robotics;Notes

Romeo x Juliet

Rosario + Vampire

Rosario + Vampire Capu2

Rumbling Hearts

SERVAMP

SHIMONETA: A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn’t Exist

Starmyu

Samurai 7

Samurai Champloo

Sands of Destruction

Sasami Magical Girls Club

Scar-red Rider XechS

Scrapped Princess

Seiyu's Life!

Sengoku BASARA - End of Judgement

Sengoku BASARA: Samurai Kings

Senran Kagura

Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign

Serial Experiments Lain

Shakugan No Shana (all)

Shangri-la

Shattered Angels

Shigurui: Death Frenzy

Shiki

Shonen Maid

Sky Wizards Academy

Snow White with the Red Hair

Solty Rei

Soul Eater

Soul Eater Not!

Space Dandy

Speed Grapher

Spice and Wolf

Steins;Gate (they changed the publisher on this one)

Strike Witches (1 and 2)

Sword of the Stranger

TO Movie

Tenchi Muyo! (all)

Terror in Resonance

Texhnolyze

The Betrayal Knows My Name

The Devil is a Part-Timer!

The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.

The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-Chan

The Future Diary

The Galaxy Railways

The Heroic Legend of Arslan (+ Dust Storm Dance)

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

The Mystic Archives of Dantalian

The Rolling Girls

The Slayers (all)

The Tatami Galaxy

The Vision of Escaflowne (+ movie)

Three Leaves, Three Colors

Time Travel Girl

Toyko Majin (seasons 1 and 2)

Tokyo Ravens

Trigun (+ Badlands Rumble)

Trinity Blood

UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie

Unbreakable Machine-Doll

Utawarerumono

Vandread (+ Second Stage)

Venus Project -Climax-

Vexille

Welcome to the N-H-K

Witchblade

Yatterman Night

Yamada's First Time: B Gata H Kei

Yu Yu Hakusho (+ OVA)

selector infected WIXOSS

selector spread WIXOSS

Remaining:

A Certain Magical Index III

Attack on Titan (all seasons)

Blood Blockade Battlefront & Beyond

Full Metal Panic! (+ Second Raid, Fumoffu) (in some non-US regions?)

GARO -VANISHING LINE-

High School DxD Hero

Love Live! Sunshine!! Season 2

Mob Psycho 100 (not listed as Funimation anymore)

My Hero Academia (all seasons)

Overlord II

Overlord III

SSSS.Gridman

Star Blazers: Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Star Blazers: Space Battleship Yamato 2202

Steins;Gate 0

Finally watched this not too long ago, and although the entire series is only 21 minutes long (and seems more like a long teaser than anything), it was still enjoyable for what it was. And even at its length, this is lightyears ahead of the Build Divers series (which I assumed was aimed at children, cuz woah its bad). Would really like to see them make this into a full series or an OVA at least.

Also Narrative looks like it'll be dope! Hiroyuki Sawano on the OST too!

Watching BAKI on Netflix at the moment, and I'm kind of surprised by how little action Baki himself has gotten so far, given the title of the series. It's pretty funny watching him go on dates while everyone else is in these long, nasty battles getting their faces burned off. I mean, I know they're obviously setting up for the girl to be kidnapped so he can rescue her, but he legit only fought for like one episode.

Recently rather unexpectedly gotten back on the anime train - I finally watched all of Stardust Crusaders, and am now about 7 episodes into Diamond is Unbreakable. It's one of my favorite Jojo parts in its original manga format (even though I read it ages ago, back when DUWANG was the only translation available) so hopefully the anime version's good too! I've read some people's complaints about QUALITY animation in this part in particular here and there, but as far as I know I'm watching the Blu Ray rips, and supposedly those at least somewhat improved some of the shoddier parts?

(also, I'm kind of finding it hard to get used to Jotaro's new design in this particular part after moving on straight from Stardust Crusaders... I don't really remember him looking like that in the manga, but again, it's been ages since i last read it so tbh i don't remember much in general)

Finally finished catching up with AOT. I haven't read the manga, but heard that the director cut/changed quite a bit for the anime due to pacing issues from this arc and I gotta say that it was felt at times. There were moments that seemed like they were happening out of order and episodes that were loaded with static talking heads for far too long. Animation seems to have really taken a nosedive in quality most of the time too, the exception being some of the action scenes later on. Somehow, despite all of these issues, I think this was a better season than the last and I had a good time with it. There are some really effective character moments and it feels like we're finally getting to the payoff that's been building up for literally five years. I'm excited about AOT again, hope they can keep it up when the next part drops in April!

I finished a lot of things in the past month, the highlights being Houseki no Kuni, Escaflowne, GiTS Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG and Glass no Kamen (2005). They're all good.

I'm currently watching One Outs and regarding seasonals I'll be watching Kakegurui's and MP100's sequels. Eyeing other two titles but I'll wait.

These days I use Anilist more and MAL is only for backup and sometimes forums

Edited by Chi

2 hours ago, platy said:

@Chi what made you switch to anilist?

I'm also waiting for Kakegurui, can't wait. 

I like sharing screencaps and thoughts on what I'm watching like on Twitter while at the same time interacting with the users 

And they actually work on improving the website. You can talk to the devs about ideas or future plans and shit actually happens. Bugs get fixed. Anilist got a redesign last year and they are already working on a redesign for the anime/manga entries page to make it even better, after listening to complaints from users (like scoring anime from the entry page isn't practical right now). MAL isn't going to progress any further as long as DeNA owns it. It's only the best when it comes to database size because it has been around for longer, but AniList can catch up, especially because Anilist got more users because of MAL going offline last year, which means more people who can help the database grow

Edited by Chi

@Chi I had an account on Anilist, but switched to MAL last year. But since it went offline for so long I'm thinking of going back to anilist. They've been improving really fast, like you said. 

I'm watching Boruto! It's really fun hahaha and kinda silly but I enjoy it. Just watched Recovery of an MMO junkie, and ORANGE (which I HIGHLY recommend)

On 12/19/2018 at 9:55 PM, violetchain said:

Watching BAKI on Netflix at the moment, and I'm kind of surprised by how little action Baki himself has gotten so far, given the title of the series. It's pretty funny watching him go on dates while everyone else is in these long, nasty battles getting their faces burned off. I mean, I know they're obviously setting up for the girl to be kidnapped so he can rescue her, but he legit only fought for like one episode.

This has really hyped me up for the second part, I kinda forgot half of the fighters existed. Hoping for some martial arts rather than the reliance on weapons, admittedly it made for some scenes but I felt it took away from the Dorian's character a bit.

Currently watching JoJo: Ougan no Kaze and finding it pretty ironic that the adaptation is becoming my favourite, considering the part 5 manga is my least favourite in the series.

Anime is mostly a snore to me nowadays but fuck mob 100 s2 is killing it, and watching promised neverland with a friend has been entertaining to see the twists with someone who hasnt Read the manga 

Promised Neverland is killing me. I've been wanting to read it for ages, so I decided to check out the anime. Definitely investing in the manga, it'll be one of those where waiting for S2 will be too painful. 

Dororo is a weird one, it's a bit too gruesome for my taste but I wanna see where it goes. 

Domestic na kanojo will probably win mediocrity of the season but its getting by on the hype that the mc has actually had sex with someone and yet it's not really a hentai. 

I had a bit of an anime nostalgia kick last summer after a long hiatus. I watched almost all of the Ghibli films, which were amazing (besides Tales from Earthsea..dear god) But also watched Kare Kano which I had always wanted to. Watched Lain, Boogiepop Phantom and Noir also. As for newer ones I saw Yuri!!! On Ice, LoveLive! Sunshine and orange. orange stands out as being one of the best anime I have seen in years.

I'm really wanting to watch Psycho Pass, Steins;Gate and finish up Fruits Basket.

I'm watching Promised Neverland week to week. I'm already following the manga, so no twists or surprises for me, it's a really well done adaptation so far though. I like the manga a lot, but the anime may end up being the superior way to experience it. The addition of sound and clever direction are elevating the material a bit. I love the op too!

What are some truly great Anime OSTs that you all have come across within the past 5 years or so?

One of the OSTs that I've consistently been enjoying is the "MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM THUNDERBOLT" soundtrack, specifically the 2nd one released in 2017. It was scored by Naruyoshi Kikuchi, who is a pretty well known and respected Jazz musician on his own, but has also contributed to a few other anime as well. Dude was even a member of Yoko Kanno's band The Seatbelts - who played most of the Cowboy Bebop OST. Thunderbolt's OST is jazz based as well, but it's still fairly eclectic. When the music in anime works well in AND out of context, and when it supports the animation perfectly without outshining it, yet is still memorable and haunting...those are the qualities of a great OST imo, and Thunderbolt's OST definitely ticked all of those boxes for me. Here are two pieces from the OST that I love:

Have any recent anime OSTs really stood out to you all?

I've been watching "Black Clover" recently. At first it felt a little too much like just watching Naruto with magic instead of ninjas and an even louder protagonist, and it still kinda does every time Asta and Yuno are interacting, but the characters are fun so I'm letting it slide. I kind of love Gauche.

It's getting progressively more annoying to see how quickly the villains' past crimes are forgiven though. Then again, that's not exactly uncommon in shounen anime, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

LOL. This season will probably be trash to most people (aside from the continued series), but I've read a couple of these, so I can give some insight.

• Kenja no Mago
    • Isekai fodder. Mildly interesting since it has trash-Harry Potter vibes, but it's pretty meh like most isekai series. Main hero is so OP that the story just drolls on. I've read most of it, but have it stalled b/c it's gotten pretty boring imo.
  • Bokutachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai

• Yep, Bokuben and Moeyuki are getting animated :D. If you liked Nisekoi or any other school-life/slice-of-life/rom-com series, you're going to like this one. I actually prefer this over Nisekoi b/c the characters are better.

• Midara na Ao-chan wa Benkyou ga Dekinai

• I dropped this one. Too ecchi centric.

• Senryuu Shoujo

• This is one of the series I really like as it's pretty cute, and the comedy w/ the 5-7-5 is refreshing. Would recommend.

• Sewayaki Kitsune no Senko-san

• Another one of those series w/ a several hundred-year-old loli. It's cute, but it really plays to a certain audience >_>. I've stalled the manga simply because it feels very episodic and the content is not that interesting.

• Hitoribocchi no ○○ Seikatsu

• This one is cute and funny. Its comedy is centered around the main character's social anxiety, and leads to some interesting situations. It's also been memed to hell.

• Joshi Kausei

• I read some chapters of this a couple years ago. The series has no dialogue, but it's not particularly bad (?). I'm curious as to how this is going to work, since It'll probably come off really lazy without any dialogue. 

Edited by colorfuljinsei

Woah, that's a lot of series with a ratio of 1 guy to 4 girls. Hard pass, I won't be watching anything but one punch man and attack on titan. As much as I love giving new things a try, I'm losing more and more of my patience towards most anime, especially anything involving a 14 year who wants her teacher to impregnate her at all costs. Why.