Original Saku

Currently Airing & Watching Anime Discussion Topic

This looked way too good all the way until the gravity defying boobs. I know nothing about this title whatsoever, but is this ecchi? If so, I’m afraid I’ll have to skip. 

1 hour ago, Lestat said:

This looked way too good all the way until the gravity defying boobs. I know nothing about this title whatsoever, but is this ecchi? If so, I’m afraid I’ll have to skip. 

I'm currently reading the manga for Goblin Slayer, so I can give a bit of insight. Its overarching plot is pretty dark, but it does fall victim to ecchi moments from certain characters/scenarios. I honestly can't give away much more without kinda spoiling it, so I'll put the rest under spoiler tags...

Spoiler

The main character is the goblin slayer in the trailer, but after a few episodes it'll broaden to a party/cast of characters w/ two females (we know how this goes.) One of them is the deuteragonist, as the first episode will be from her perspective. Luckily goblin slayer don't give a fuck b/c he just likes slaying gobs. The gravity defying breast character is important to the story, but she isn't part of the main cast. You won't be seeing as much of her when the plot gets rolling. 

Most of the (unpleasant) ecchi moments come from "tertiary" characters, and usu. involve err... goblins. Hence, the dark aspect of the series.

You'll probably be seeing a lot of censors when it airs on television...

I don't think the ecchi detracts from the plot, but you never know with adaptations what the central (visual) focus will be. What I will say, is that if it's paced properly, the 3 episode rule will be a good indicator if you'll enjoy it or not. I'm personally not picking it up until I get the thumbs up that it's a proper adaptation. 

Edited by colorfuljinsei

Chio-chan no Tsuugakuro, Asobi Asobase, and Grand Blue all are shows that were completely under my radar, but have consistently had me in tears so far. Very funny shit.

Angolmois: Genkou Kassenki seems like it'll be pretty good plus it's been far too long since I've watched a Historical anime that felt this good out of the gate.

Banana Fish has me enthralled with the first two episodes, I don't really know anything about the source material but I'm really into this American gangster setting in anime it's pulling off. might be a AOTY contender.

Hanebado! Gonna go ahead and call this one my anime of the season, I'm just a damn sucker for sports anime and what a obscure sport to do an anime on. I mean it's fucking badminton for Christ sake, but I'll be damned if I'm not just utterly captivated by the animation and art in this show, and by the end of the third episode I'm all in on these characters and can really feel their struggles and relate.

Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo no Dorei Majutsu yes it's a isekai ecchi harem show... But I really like it. So sue me, I like big voluptuous elven titties and the significantly flatter but in no way inferior loli boobs in this show.

I recently finished watching the first season of All Out!!, and I like it a lot, but there is no news of the second season, so sad :(

jeez, don't think there's anything worth picking up. Maybe I'll try Gaikotsu Shotenin Honda-San and the yuri series. I'll try the first ep's of the archery club series, but it'll definitely be Free 2.0

Covers are deceiving, and I'm familiar with a couple of these:

• Goblin Slayer might be pretty good *comment above*
  • If done right, Toaru Majutsu no Index III is going to be the anime of the season. (Yes, with both SnK and Tokyo Ghoul in there... Please, J.C Staff don't screw this up) They're apparently covering everything to the end of the "Old Testament" LNs in two cours (24 eps), and all of it is pretty action-packed.
  • Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken has really excellent world-building for an isekai series. That art style threw me for a loop b/c it looks moe-fied from the original, but hopefully it stays true to the series.
  • Kishuku Gakkou no Juliet is just Nisekoi w/ a different art style, if you like that sort of series.
  • Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai is not bad. It has supernatural and psychological elements to it, and there is no harem in this series (that I know of.)
  • 8 hours ago, platy said:

Maybe I'll try Gaikotsu Shotenin Honda-San and the yuri series. 

The yuri series (Yagate Kimi ni Naru) is nice and has well-rounded characters. I can vouch for it.

Edited by colorfuljinsei

Since myanimelist is mostly down, I can't access my 2018 watching challenge and I stupidly didn't copy it anywhere else. I might not be able to complete it since I don't remember many series I had on there 🙃

Watching very little this summer somehow and hardly anything can keep my attention fully as well.

Tenrou: Sirius the Jaeger and Banana Fish are being really consistent at least. Definite faves of the season.

Satsuriku no Tenshi is a fun surprise. Even if I'm mainly watching to hear Zack's VA go batshit as usual (as if he isn't yelling enough as Bakugo in BNHA yet)

Will I ever understand the hype for SNK? I doubt it. I just wish someone would eat Eren and Mikasa already so Levi can be the lead he deserves to be.

On 7/19/2018 at 12:23 AM, Original Saku said:

Banana Fish has me enthralled with the first two episodes, I don't really know anything about the source material but I'm really into this American gangster setting in anime it's pulling off. might be a AOTY contender.

Just saw this on Amazon video the other day. I gotta say, it's quite entertaining. Got to episode six, and thought that the season has ended since it was at a good stopping point, only to find out there are 24 episodes! Sweet.

@Gaz I'm looking forward to some more Jojo too!

Banana Fish might have just shot up to my favorite series this year.... this weeks episode was so good! To think that this show still has more than an entire cour left too is just crazy, I can't wait to see where they take it.

Stein's Gate 0 is also hitting hard these last few episode, I never got around to playing the VN for 0 even after 100 percenting the first game.... that might have to change soon.

I'm watching Evangelion for the first time now, and 8th and 9th episodes were just stupid. Some earlier ones were pretty dumb aswell, but I've LOVED the world setting and plot so far. Problem is characters, everyone besides Shinji seems pretty shallow and trope-y, borderline annoying (Asuka anyone?). I guess I was expecting something a bit more mature in character development sense, given the "crisis" they are facing (And I know I'm partly to blame for expecting seriousness from kids piloting robots). That's puting aside the awkward sexualization of 14 year old girls that definitely bothers me.

My question is, does it gets better from now on?

Edited by chemicalpictures

On 9/24/2018 at 12:05 AM, chemicalpictures said:

My question is, does it gets better from now on?

Eva is tends to be very polarizing at times. The plot certainly does thicken in interesting ways, can't say for the better though since I wasn't too invested . What does get better, at least to me, are the action scenes. Characters on the other hand gets developed, but they don't become more likable, just tolerable at best.

I finished Happy Sugar Life. Feels like forever since I watched a truly good anime series. Of course there are classics and stuff, but I mean modern series. The last one I recall that actually made me feel something and care for the world being presented was Made in Abyss. 

HSL was nothing but edgy fodder for a very... Specific... Group of people. It could have been good Shoujo ai if they didn't make the love element between a high school girl and a 7 year old child. 

As someone who's followed the Gob Slayer series since late-2016, the response to the anime reminds me how you can't rely on internet denizen's opinions when it comes to how "good" a series is. Especially so when the whole internet is hypersensitive atm.

Enjoying everything that I've planned to watch, so far. They're all quality shows.  I'm typically 2 steps ahead when it comes to the actual content b/c I'm more of a manga/LN person, but it's a different, enjoyable experience when everything gets animated (brings everything to life.)

Edited by colorfuljinsei

@colorfuljinseiI've seen mainly good opinions regarding the first episode of Goblin Slayer. Are you talking about people dropping it because of the rape scene? Personally thought it was an alright start and I'll try to keep up with it. 

1 hour ago, platy said:

@colorfuljinseiI've seen mainly good opinions regarding the first episode of Goblin Slayer. Are you talking about people dropping it because of the rape scene? Personally thought it was an alright start and I'll try to keep up with it. 

Yea, I initially thought it was a select few, but when I saw a thread on it at the top of Reddit I was taken aback. There's a firestorm on Twitter over the whole thing about avoiding/dropping the series, etc. I guess I've forgotten about the current climate, as I usually delve into series w/o going through public forums/SNS. It is implemented to set the tone, but I get why it's offended victims of sexual violence/offence/rape etc. That being said, this concept is faaaar from unheard of *cough* orcs&elves *cough*.

I guess it's somewhat of a good thing that the first episode has a lot of shock value b/c it's not like the theme/premise of the series gets any "lighter" (new watchers should heed this warning.)

Edited by colorfuljinsei

@colorfuljinsei Rape and sexual violence are real. It happens. Simply drop the anime if it isn't your thing, no need to cause a shit storm. I guess a warning at the start would've helped but alas, Japan isn't known for that sort of thing lol. I didn't think it was distasteful, it served a purpose in that setting. I've also seen a few people complaining that it was being edgy for the sake of shock value, but I disagree. 

Although it doesn't offend me, I don't really enjoy gore or extreme violence so I'll approach the next episodes with that warning in mind. 

4 minutes ago, CAT5 said:

BRO WTF I'M DYIN 🤣🤣🤣🤣

how the FUCK did this even happen ajfiodsjfodsjfoidsjf

I'm only watching banana fish atm and I'm really behind. The relationship between Ash and Eiji is what I find most fascinating, it feels like genuine chemistry which is so rare in anime, especially bl adjacent anime. The combo of ott action/plot and themes of surviving trauma feel at war with each other often, I try to take it as a byproduct of being written in the 80s/90s. However, the constant use of rape as a threat to the characters feels outdated and cheap. If only they had chosen to cut some of that out, it happens too often and takes me out of the show. I read at least five volumes of the manga waaaay back when Viz originally released it, it didn't hook me then. I think I was a bit too young to appreciate it's best qualities, so I'm glad it's being given such a nice adaptation now.

I've heard good things about Bloom Into You, I'm just not in the mood for a slow romance rn.

Just started watching the series, Death Parade. I'm about half way through, and I think it has an interesting premise. I'm most curious as to how it will end even though I've read that the show leaves the viewer with more questions than answers. 

Most anime series touch upon the subject of death, but Death Parade (as the title implies) squarely deals with this subject front-and-center. In fact, death becomes a tool, allowing the show to explore the depths of human morality in a very psychological way: Are humans innately good or bad creatures? In other respects, the series forces us to ask: What would we do in extremely and terrifying situations? Or rather, what should we do when confronted with a bizarre yet horrible experience? What happens to our minds when we're pushed to the edge?

Majority of the episodes start out the following way: Two people get sent to the Quindecim and, together, the pair must play a game (bowling, darts, etc.) to decide who will win or lose. If the participants don't play, then they will face absolute death. (The whole premise is quite ironic and the outcome hardly matters. That's the real kicker.) As of now, one of my favorite episodes has to be the comical one (episode six). I know it contributes the least to the whole plot, but the episode provides a window into a different atmosphere and reveals how other arbiters handle their 'guests'. All the other episodes are equally touching and fascinating to watch, but this one flipped my expectations. It took a serious matter and handled it in a humorous manner while still diving into the heart-wrenching emotions of each participant.

Aside from the animation, I admire the writing, which can handle the topic of death with solemnity and levity. Death Parade manages to dig deep into the human psyche and make us question as to what exactly entails a human being. At the same time, it doesn't fail to be cracking hilarious. There are some shows where the tone sails one way, but Death Parade is one - so far - that has legitimately made me feel empathy and hilarity without any restraint. Sadly, I can't help but sense that the other characters who work in Quindecim (besides the main pairing) will get shortchanged - as far as character development is concerned - because of how short the series is. But I'll be patiently waiting to see otherwise.

I'm not an animator or artist by any stretch, but I like the animation quality especially during the fighting sequence between Viginti and Decim - that was beautiful. I didn't expect Death Parade to have an action scene, but I was left in my seat with wanting more. The music is great, too. I've read that lots of people enjoyed the opening, and it's definitely got an upbeat, fun quality despite the overall somber inflection within the show.

(Whoa, I wrote way too much o_o; I'm going to stop now and finish watching the rest of the series XD)

I've finished watching Comic Girls since last week, the anime was really into my taste about on making manga made by 4 high school girls, also i've finished watching The Master of Ragnarok and the Blesser of Einherjar just today, the story was about a High School Boy who was transported to another world after taking a selfie infront of the divine mirror and he later became the patriarch of the wolf clan. then just now, i'm currently watching Wotakoi: Life is Hard for Otaku just now thanks to @platy's recommendation, i've just started watching the first 2 episodes of this anime and i think its kinda okay but surely being a hard core otaku can surely be hard.