Original Saku

Currently Airing & Watching Anime Discussion Topic

I saw the latest Fate installment which is Heaven's Feel - I. Presage Flower movie a few days ago at a select theater. Due to the slow pacing in the beginning, it felt like more than a 2hr movie. The intro scene from the beginning to the intro credits took nearly 30min with all the school life stuff, but the intro credit scenes rushed point B to D in a matter of a minute, so you don't get to see how the characters obtained their servants. Definitely not for those who aren't familiar with the franchise. Aside from that, fantastic visuals and impressive action scenes kept me hooked. Music is also great! I would say this is right on par with Fate Zero in terms of how dark and violent it is. Is this the best Fate Stay Night route by far? Too early to tell, but I'm already liking it better than the original.

Edited by Flame-X

One more week for most titles out there, this was definitely a busy season for me. I could not compare it to the upcoming winter season, which unfortunately holds but a few series that interest me thus far. Will be watching; 

Kokkoku

Yowamushi Pedal: Glory Line

Basilisk: Ouka Ninpouchou

Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens

Devilman: Crybaby

B: The Beginning

Three installments of previously known anime and only three entirely new shows. Well, at least I will get to catch a breath.

as per usual I'm continuing my trek through the Mobile Suit Gundam U.C. anime timeline this holiday with ZZ Gundam. This has become somewhat of a Christmas/new years tradition the past few years, since I decided in 2015 to re-watch the entire timeline chronologically by production date. I'm gonna try to actually keep going throughout the year this time though... otherwise it'll take me ten years to get through every series XD

oh and expect a 2017 top 10 anime rundown from me in the first few weeks of 2018. I've already got the list nailed down, just got to find the time to do a write up on it all.

14 hours ago, Original Saku said:

as per usual I'm continuing my trek through the Mobile Suit Gundam U.C. anime timeline this holiday with ZZ Gundam. This has become somewhat of a Christmas/new years tradition the past few years, since I decided in 2015 to re-watch the entire timeline chronologically by production date. I'm gonna try to actually keep going throughout the year this time though... otherwise it'll take me ten years to get through every series XD

oh and expect a 2017 top 10 anime rundown from me in the first few weeks of 2018. I've already got the list nailed down, just got to find the time to do a write up on it all.

pingu in the city better be in it :evil:

winter season with CCS, saiki kusuo, pop team epic...

NElX5MV.png

Edited by Chi

Currently trying to wrap my head around the Monogatari Series. Seems like a slight complex order, but I just finished watching Nisemonogatari.

Going to watch Nekomonogatari: Black now.

My wife and I started watching The Ancient Magus Bride and My Hero Academia. We're only 4 episodes in to Magus, and while I love the atmosphere, it might be a bit too slow, and I haven't been able to suspend my disbelief on the main characters comfort with the situation and how uncomfortable her and bone dude's relationship is. Hero on the other had is managing to take a stale formula and making it fresh, though I worry how long it can hold up. The biggest problem I have with shounens is that often get stretch out too long and outstay their charm.

I started watching junji ito's anime. Would like to hear people's opinion on it even though there's only one episode out for now. 

For me it was a damn struggle to keep awake during the episode because of how tedious it was. Some parts were funny, but that was it. I couldn't find anything redeemable about it and when I did have my eyes open all I could think is how flat the color palette is, which just adds to the tedious-ness of it all. They could've pushed the art further, although it isn't bad since you can clearly see it's Ito's work. 

^ I watched the 1st ep too, so far I'm not sure what to think. It wasn't bad but I'm more motivated by this being Junji Ito stuff than the actual quality itself, haha. So I'll definitely stick around till the end. Also, since the series is in an an episodic format I guess there are bound to be some weaker stories too.

I'm also watching Devilman Crybaby on Netflix, just finished episode 3. Fun stuff with some stylish visuals and over-the-top trashy atmosphere, exactly what I expected based on the old OVAs (and the few episodes I saw back in the day from the old-old anime series).

Edited by Jigsaw9

I got really hooked up on Koi wa Ameagari no you ni (the plot is super cute and the graphic just calms me down, love the atmosphere and the theme) and Gakuen Babysitters (the first episode got me bawl my eyes out for the whole last half of it, it's so cute and warm, I recommend it 💕). I also enjoy me some Mahoutsukai no Yome from time to time.

Pop Team Epic is amazing (finally caught up with it). xD

Also, the Junji Ito Collection anime is totally taking off, what a ride! Episodes 2 and 3 were delightfully creepy. Ep2 has to be my favorite so far with the "Long Dreams" story.

On 21/01/2018 at 2:24 PM, Jigsaw9 said:

Pop Team Epic is amazing (finally caught up with it). xD

Also, the Junji Ito Collection anime is totally taking off, what a ride! Episodes 2 and 3 were delightfully creepy. Ep2 has to be my favorite so far with the "Long Dreams" story.

i've always known you were a man of culture, jiggy

Edited by Chi

On 1/9/2018 at 6:07 AM, Jigsaw9 said:

I'm also watching Devilman Crybaby on Netflix, just finished episode 3. Fun stuff with some stylish visuals and over-the-top trashy atmosphere, exactly what I expected based on the old OVAs (and the few episodes I saw back in the day from the old-old anime series).

I just finished DMCB a few days ago, I was pretty impressed with it. Started watching it after seeing people on Twitter hyping it up to be AOTY.  I wouldn't go that far, but it was definitely a refreshing anime and fun to watch--some of the visuals reminded me of Asumiko Nakamura's work, and the animation was modern but also had a nostalgic feeling for me, something similar to Kanashimi no Belladonna. 

How did you feel once you finished it? For me personally, I'd say it's a far cry from anime of the year (especially considering we're in January), but it had it's shining moments that would make it worthy for a second or third watch. 

Soundtrack of the year though? Probably. Definitely.

4 hours ago, raphael said:

How did you feel once you finished it? For me personally, I'd say it's a far cry from anime of the year (especially considering we're in January), but it had it's shining moments that would make it worthy for a second or third watch. 

Soundtrack of the year though? Probably. Definitely.

I think it was fantastic! It totally met my expectations at least, which was to see something colorful, entertaining and over-the-top violent. xD It went through the main storyline of the OVAs nicely, as far as I can remember them. And yeah, the soundtrack was cool af!

After spending an entire week binging on the Dragonball Z Universe from everything 2010 to now lol, I've started watching Dragonball Super.

It's really awkward coming back to a show you thought you knew everything about, to then find out you knew nothing lol.

Liking the show so far hehe.

I just finished Shiki and surprisingly liked it despite the crazy character design and some flaws i felt in the story but overall it was enjoyable

19 minutes ago, Chi said:

I just finished Shiki and surprisingly liked it despite the crazy character design and some flaws i felt in the story but overall it was enjoyable

I remember watching it as it aired years ago and having the same feeling overall. Then at the end I just felt it was pretty good though to this day I still can't quite explain.

Current season? Darling in the FRANXX has been entertaining me. Aside from that and a few others it's a really calm season. KyoAni's Violet Evergarden is pretty underwhelming tbh.

34 minutes ago, Kaye said:

Current season? Darling in the FRANXX has been entertaining me. Aside from that and a few others it's a really calm season. KyoAni's Violet Evergarden is pretty underwhelming tbh.

I've been bamboozled this season so far. The anime I thought I was gonna enjoy (like new CCS and Violet Evergarden) are unable to truly get my attention while A Place Further than the Universe has managed to steal their spotlight for me

meanwhile pop team epic and saiki kusuo have been consistent in quality...and ito junji collection is just a rollercoaster that goes from bad to alright every now and then

Edited by Chi

35 minutes ago, Chi said:

I've been bamboozled this season so far. The anime I thought I was gonna enjoy (like new CCS and Violet Evergarden) are unable to truly get my attention while A Place Further than the Universe has managed to steal their spotlight for me

meanwhile pop team epic and saiki kusuo have been consistent in quality...and ito junji collection is just a rollercoaster that goes from bad to alright every now and then

Saiki always great tbh. I started watching back during its first season with no expectations but honestly, it remains solid.

Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens has been amusing me as well. Though I'll admit a great deal of that is the killer voice cast. Hell, I'm even anticipating some random webanime I found out about more than most airing this season.

(are you on mal? do I already have you on mal?)

Edited by Kaye

12 minutes ago, Kaye said:

Saiki always great tbh. I started watching back during its first season with no expectations but honestly, it remains solid.

Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens has been amusing me as well. Though I'll admit a great deal of that is the killer voice cast. Hell, I'm even anticipating some random webanime I found out about more than most airing this season.

(are you on mal? do I already have you on mal?)

yeah i love saiki lolol

my mal is in my signature, i dont think you have me there tho

https://myanimelist.net/profile/protoplasm

Ok so who is else is watching DARLING in the FRANXX, and was finally impressed with the actual story development in the latest episode? haha

On 3/19/2018 at 9:08 PM, YuyoDrift said:

Ok so who is else is watching DARLING in the FRANXX, and was finally impressed with the actual story development in the latest episode? haha

Honestly, I've been quite underwhelmed with the show so far. The pacing the atrocious and the characters are just typical stapled archetypes. The only episode that impressed me was ep6. I need to see more world building and mecha action. Also, 02's backstory.

been watching Pop Team Epic on Crunchyroll and i'm really depressed that it ended yesterday...<///3 I've yet to watch the finale ;w;

I'm also thinking of getting back into Kaiji after dropping anime entirely after high school; I managed to check out a bit of Akagi, but didn't have time to finish the first episode yet ;w;

I also watched a bit of Rowdy Sumo Wrestler Matsutaro out of curiosity, but I couldn't finish the first episode cuz the protag is kind of a dick...:/