Original Saku

Currently Airing & Watching Anime Discussion Topic

45 minutes ago, Flame-X said:

I saw and finished Drifters and I thought it was above average at best. I liked it was gory fun at times but in other eps it was boring AF with too much dialogue. I had a hard time keeping myself awake in the final episode.

Honestly, the one show that took me by surprise was Girlish Number. Just by the looks, it was way outta my radar but after giving it a chance, I was hooked. It reminded me of Shirobako, except it was focused on voice actors. It may look like a moe show but man it's subtlety depressing with hints of hope.

hey man above average is pretty good for me :D also I'm a history anime nerd so that aspect of the show definitely was to my liking.

as for Girlish Number, I had to drop it because I didn't have time for it... might have to go back to it now since you said it reminded you of Shirobako.

i've been planing to watch Drifters since i first heard about anime adaptation. read manga 5 years ago, after having that shitty void because of watching Hellsing OVAs lol. there were only twenty-something chapters at that time and the gap between each new chapter was around 3 months iirc. for my own sake i decided to drop manga and wait for the time when it'll hit complete status. i heard there's also going to be second season of Drifters, so i'm not in a hurry to watch the first for now. I CAN MANAGE TO WAIT A COUPLE MORE MONTHS AFTER ALL THESE YEARS ANYWAY. and well, i've just started rewatching Gintama... that'll keep me busy for quite a while ;w;

15 episodes into Gundam IBO and good lord this is so great so far. I don't want to speak too soon, but this is shaping up to potentially be one of the best Gundam series that I've seen. It REALLY feels like a U.C. Gundam series too, which is amazing for an alt. universe Gundam series imo.

22 minutes ago, CAT5 said:

15 episodes into Gundam IBO and good lord this is so great so far. I don't want to speak too soon, but this is shaping up to potentially be one of the best Gundam series that I've seen. It REALLY feels like a U.C. Gundam series too, which is amazing for an alt. universe Gundam series imo.

Just wait till you get to season 2, shit gets nuts :) glad you're enjoying it, I am too.

So I started watching a new anime this season called Kuzu no Honkai.  That title interested me because its (official) translation is basically "Scum's Wish" and that's not something you see everyday lol.

The trailer doesn't do it any justice; it makes it seem like any other romance anime so I wasn't sure whether to watch it or not... but hey, it's a noitaminA show so it's worth a try at least. In the end, it was different than I thought it would be! The main characters don't seem to be the nicest people and there's an interesting premise: they both are in love with someone who doesn't love them back, so they're going out with each other to be those people's replacement for each other. It's a bit messed up and surprisingly NSFW (especially for a noitaminA show), but strangely endearing. It has some light-hearted humor but not too much, most of the episode was narrated by the protagonist and that's nice. Some of the lines remind me of manga, and it's probably on purpose since there are also some manga-like panels thrown in. It was a good first episode overall, I'll definitely keep watching it. Apparently the manga is still being published, but the whole anime is set to have 11 episodes.

I also finally watched Litle Witch Academia's movies! I really like them, so I'm gonna start the TV series soon too.

^i started reading that manga because.....i am scum myself lol, and i was happy to hear that it was getting an anime adaptation! it's definitely not your typical romance anime/manga as it focuses heavily on the dark and painful side of an unrequited love, which also feels more realistic in that aspect. the artwork is also pretty good and matches well with the manga style, although i was actually surprised to see that they added manga-like panels in the animation. i'm caught up with the manga so i wonder how much they'll fit into those 11, or 12? episodes, according to MAL it says there will be 12. it's looking good so far~

i've seen little of the game, but i'm quite excited for Ao Oni The Animation:

didn't expect them to use cgi animation, but considering that the game is made from rpg maker it's a good upgrade and i'm fine with it. i think they wanted to keep those cheap looking aesthetics by using this kind of animation style. (i know for sure that other people are gonna complain tho)

Started watching two shows, Hai to Gensou no Grimgar and Onihei only one of which is currently airing. Watched the first three episodes of Grimgar and I think I will likely drop it - the art style is great but man the story is going nowhere and a fair amount of the humour is playing in to that low brow ecchi shit which I have long since grown tired of. Onihei I've watched the first two episodes, and while it hasn't done all that much, I am holding out hope for it.

I started a bunch of stuff like usual, but my favorites so far are Little Witch Academia and Youjo Senki. I had already read a few chapters from Youjo Senki's light novel and liked it a lot and so far the anime has met all of my expectations. I've seen a lot of criticism regarding Tanya's character design but I absolutely love it, she's a dude reincarnated in a loli's body  that joined the military and is kicking everyone's asses, you bet I want her character to stand out and look as ridiculous as possible. Aoi Yuuki is doing a great job as Tanya's seiyuu as well.

Little Witch Academia is a show that hasn't failed to put a smile on my face. I love how lively it is. I haven't watched the movies yet so I might love it even more after doing that. Also Sucy is best.

Edited by seurong

3 hours ago, Ito said:

Watched the first three episodes of Grimgar and I think I will likely drop it - the art style is great but man the story is going nowhere and a fair amount of the humour is playing in to that low brow ecchi shit which I have long since grown tired of. 

Yep. @beniand I decided to drop it right after that "enthralling" 10-minute conversation they had about boobs towards the end of the first episode.

49 minutes ago, CAT5 said:

Yep. @beniand I decided to drop it right after that "enthralling" 10-minute conversation they had about boobs towards the end of the first episode.

4 hours ago, Ito said:

Started watching two shows, Hai to Gensou no Grimgar and Onihei only one of which is currently airing. Watched the first three episodes of Grimgar and I think I will likely drop it - the art style is great but man the story is going nowhere and a fair amount of the humour is playing in to that low brow ecchi shit which I have long since grown tired of. Onihei I've watched the first two episodes, and while it hasn't done all that much, I am holding out hope for it.

I managed to sit through the whole thing, and it does not get better. It was very disappointing as the art style is wonderful, but the story (what story?) truly brings it down immensely. It has already reached cult-status however, due to its 'avant-garde pacing' and 'realistic nature' of a group of children unable to progress in strength.

For myself, I am currently taking on Onihei, Yowamushi Pedal: New Generation, ACCA: 13-ku Kansatsu-ka and Ao no Exorcist: Kyoto Fujouou-hen. The rest of this season goes entirely against my tastes as I do not believe I have seen anything else non-magical girl, school-settings or harems / ecchi.  Probably an all-time low, but the ones that I am watching are making up for it quite well. 

1 hour ago, CAT5 said:

Sounds about right. Like that part was dumb to begin with, but the amount that they dragged it out was down right awful. I can only imagine 15 year old boys enjoy that, and even then that is probably an insult to 15 year old boys. 

51 minutes ago, Lestat said:

I managed to sit through the whole thing, and it does not get better. It was very disappointing as the art style is wonderful, but the story (what story?) truly brings it down immensely. It has already reached cult-status however, due to its 'avant-garde pacing' and 'realistic nature' of a group of children unable to progress in strength.

Whelp, guess I am either going to drop it or just suffer through so I feel full validated in calling it shit XD

Just finished watching God Eater, the ending was not as satisfying as what I would have hoped but it leaves it open for season 2 (which I hope will be released soooon). The fights are awesome & I love the fact that there's so much blood (sorry for the spoiler). The characters are very likeable & I enjoyed the anime style. I'd definitely recommend it if you like monsters getting their butts kicked.

This season I'm watching Mobile Suit GUNDAM Iron Blooded Orphans 2nd, Yowamushi Pedal New Generation and finished Haikyu !! 3rd Season, Alderamin on the Sky...

After reading some comments in this thread I wanted to see 91 days

Some shows I'm watching this season:

Chain Chronicle: The Light of Haecceitas

I'm a sucker for fantasy genre. I've only seen the first ep but from what I saw, the animation was pretty nice. Need to catch up on this soon.

GRANBLUE FANTASY The Animation

Another fantasy! Read some of the manga chps in prior to this. I'm really liking the detailed animation on this one, no shortcuts used.

KonoSuba: God's Blessing on This Wonderful World! 2

Enjoyed the first season, so obviously I must continue this. Still hilarious! Though I keep questioning if Aqua is wearing panties at all or did the visuals make it look like she doesnt...

Scum's Wish

Another show where I've read the manga years prior to the show. Despite of it being in school setting, it's mature in its content and it's something I can tolerate. 

Seiren

Let's just call it this one a guilty pleasure. Innocent ecchi romance I guess. Reminds me a lot like Amagami SS.

Tales of Zestiria the X 2nd Season

Mainly watching it for ufotable's incredible visual. I like to call it Unlimited Budget Works. :X'D:

All I'm watching this season is Kobayashi-san chi no maid dragon and Ao no Excorcist season 2. And Agressive Retsuko because relatable lol. Nothing else has really caught my interest...

It's not something I'd even consider watching, but my friend said I should try so I gave Kobayashi San no maid dragon a try so I did. It's very cute and enjoyable, different from other KyoAni stuff (which usually is cringefest for me). 

Also blue exorcist Kyoto arc, I'm loving the animation and the way they're doing this. I haven't watched s1 of blue exorcist but I keep up with the manga and just needed to see this arc animated. 

scum's wish is another surprise, it's like a dark shoujo story with mostly interesting characters and intense development. 

I also picked up Koro Q yesterday (spin off of assassination classroom) it's hilarious, I love all the references and it just makes me miss the main series a lot. But I totally recommend it. 

Edited by Platy

Last night, I finally saw the anime movie, Harmony. With its cyberpunk dystopia setting, there was a lot of potential. However, there was so much philosophical babbling that loses my attention more than once. There was a very interesting theme laid out when it came to humanity's will affecting society worldwide that reminded me of Phillip K Dick novels, but it doesn't give a payoff it deserves as it reaches the climax. It was unfortunately disappointing overall. For a 2 full hour anime movie, a lot could've been achieved. If they simplified the half the dialogues, then it might've been better. What I liked about the movie is the animation that was a blend of cel and CG that was similar to Berserk movies, except a lot more subtle. Character designs looked great considering that it's the same guy who did Guilty Crown. Music was average, nothing to write home about other than the ED song by Egoist. Other than that, I can't recommend this movie.

Rating: 5/10

A bit of back story real quick.

So a few years ago (early 2015 I believe) I re watched the original Mobile Suit Gundam for the first time in many many years, I enjoyed reliving the classic gundam so much that I intended to re watch all of the Universal Century series in order of production all the way up to Unicorn... but shortly after downloading all of the series needed I got extremely sidetracked with stuff (literally I don't remember what :lol: ) . Well some time passed and eventually my anime HDD with my archived collection shit the bed and I lost my entire collection last year... welp fast forward to now and I've finally hunted down my collection again and now I'm happily re watching Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam !

Also IBO season two is fucking awesome. I'm really enjoying this series.

GANTZ:O is now available on Blu-ray! You can also watch it on Netflix!!!!

I just watched it on netflix (cuz i'm too impatient to order the dvd) and ughhh I can't explain how amazing it looks! If you like Gantz you NEED to watch this. Seriously, everything looks so amazing animated. Watching the H-gun in action is also something you don't wanna miss. All the yokai and gory special effects look awesome too. Even though a lot of the cool characters from the manga (i totally wanted to see muscle rider and the kid!! and the vampires too) didn't make it in the movie I still really liked it. And actually, I think I might order the dvd now too lol.

Spoiler

something about that cliffhanger ending tells me that there will be a sequel.......

Edited by plastic_rainbow

on the upcoming season of spring, I'm planning to watch Masamune Kun's Revenge, its because it looks kinda cute over the show, i liked the story of the show somehow its because its an interesting story about Masamune who was once a fat child and he wants to take revenge on a girl named Aki for calling him "Piggy" and rejecting him, OMG i was really laughing when i was watching the Trailer of the show, although i'll just watch it in Spring when its finally complete. its because i don't really like watching on-going animes that much.

i've finally managed to finish rewatching first season of Gintama. 3 more season left to rewatch, but that probably wont take too much time. 3 of them combined is still less than entire first season. 

also watched Gantz:O, which was great. the visuals are delight for eyes, as expected. 

On 3/1/2017 at 3:32 AM, K-x-H said:

on the upcoming season of spring, I'm planning to watch Masamune Kun's Revenge, its because it looks kinda cute over the show, i liked the story of the show somehow its because its an interesting story about Masamune who was once a fat child and he wants to take revenge on a girl named Aki for calling him "Piggy" and rejecting him, OMG i was really laughing when i was watching the Trailer of the show, although i'll just watch it in Spring when its finally complete. its because i don't really like watching on-going animes that much.

I've been watching it periodically.

Right now it's a point where it can go straight to being a shit anime, due to a plot twist that kinda makes you want to drop the anime entirely.

Hopefully the manga may shed some light as to wtf is going on.

57 minutes ago, YuyoDrift said:

I've been watching it periodically.

Right now it's a point where it can go straight to being a shit anime, due to a plot twist that kinda makes you want to drop the anime entirely.

Hopefully the manga may shed some light as to wtf is going on.

Lol, i never said that i'll dropped the anime entirely, the only i reason why i said that, its because i don't really watch on-going animes of the current season and i will only wacth the anime when the show reaches the Final episode, and thats where i start watching anime if its already complete. 😂

10 minutes ago, K-x-H said:

Lol, i never said that i'll dropped the anime entirely, the only i reason why i said that, its because i don't really watch on-going animes of the current season and i will only wacth the anime when the show reaches the Final episode, and thats where i start watching anime if its already complete. 😂

Haha no no. You read into it too much.

When someone says "makes you wanna...", what they mean is that they themselves are being spoken about, in a sort of 2nd person point of view, while also saying that others may feel the same way.

I didn't mean you specifically. What I should have said was "makes me feel like....", making more clear that I was talking about myself.

English sure is weird.