Original Saku

Currently Airing & Watching Anime Discussion Topic

Just picked up Naruto Shippuden again and I do not regret it!.....although this tsunade dream filler is kinda strange but eh. Shinmai Maou To Testament is pretty good too, lots of jiggles and a cool, non-oblivious anime protagonist. I recently had to drop Punch Line, it was just so...boring and confusing. 

Just picked up Naruto Shippuden again and I do not regret it!.....although this tsunade dream filler is kinda strange but eh. Shinmai Maou To Testament is pretty good too, lots of jiggles and a cool, non-oblivious anime protagonist. I recently had to drop Punch Line, it was just so...boring and confusing. 

yeah I slowly trudged through Punch Line myself back when it was airing, definitely slow but I guess it kinda got good towards the end when you sorta saw the big picture and what was going on... probably a good call to drop it tho, because the payoff wasn't really worth it.

I have such a love/hate relationship with Naruto. Probably growing up has made me realize how not so creative Kishimoto is. The fact that he leaves out even Sakura as one of the series' leads and not give her many good factors just because you're 'not good with female characters' is annoying. And don't get me started on all the supporting characters like the other teams. When was the last time Tenten even spoke? It's super irritating once you start noticing all of that, and it's not like even Naruto gets many new improvements or upgrades. it's literally 'MASSIVE SPIRAL ATTACK GETS BIGGER' every time. XD But keep enjoying, I'm just ranting now lol. I admit I did end up reading and completing the whole manga, which was worthwhile since it was the only long running series I've been with for years. Too bad they seem to be miling the cow? All those spin offs, I just can't be bothered anymore. X'D

Punch Line I really liked the look of, and I love that opening song, but I'm in an agreement even in just episode one that it seems muddled. That's too bad with such well done art and music, and I've read comments on people either hating or loving it, with someone saying it's 'the underrated gem of last season'. I dunno though, wish I could give it another shot but I'm adminent because there's so much else to get to.

Finished

One Punch Man - Hilarious and action packed with sick animation.

Nisekoi Season 2 - Not as good as the first season. The first few episodes were rocky and the majority of the episodes were filler. However that being said, I still enjoyed it because of the hilariousness. And there were some minor plot and character development just as not as much as I would have liked to see. Can't wait for season 3.

Accelworld - First half of this series was strong but than the 2nd half was weak. Much like Sword Art Online, yet not to the same extent.  I quite enjoyed this, it's better than both sword art online seasons, mostly because it's more well rounded yet it's not without it's flaws. I don't understand why the 2nd half of the series focused so much around an antagonist and his evil plot, that could have literally been resolved in 3 to 4 episodes instead of 12.  Still, the voice acting was great, the plot and main character had some originality and I liked the animation. I don't regret purchasing this.  I'm looking forward to see what season 2 will be like.

Young Blackjack - This series is amazing. It's a medical/drama series which is the first of its kind I've come across in anime. It focus on a young  medical student in the 1950's, who is trying to become a doctor. Despite not being a certified doctor yet he routinely performs complex surgeries and procedures and is shown to be on equal skill level or sometimes even higher than the actual doctors around him. I love the combination of medical trivia,/info you get from watching this, how the show goes about explaining and animating the surgeries and the overall plot and story. Recommended.

Watching

Erased. - Without a doubt the best anime out right now. Incredible animation, great writing, characters and plot. If there's one anime series people should be watching it's this one. Go watch it now.

Bubuki buranki - The animation style of this series caught my attention. The monster/weapons reminded me of something out of Eureka 7 or Xamed. The use of 3d models within the animation also intrigued me and it gives the series a unique style. That being said the plot and some of the characters seem trite so far. I wanted to love this, but so far I'm just mildly enjoying it.  

Gundam Iron Blood Brothers - Another new gundam series that pays way too much homage to its numerous series beforehand. It's not bad, but it's not great. The first half was a slow start, but it got better. I'm surprised this a 24 episode  anime when it isn't even that strong. I'd rather have another season of Terraformars, One Punch Man, or Prison School. Something that merits another 12 episodes.

Schwarzesmarken - It's got gundams, killer aliens and nazis. So far so good.

Gundam Iron Blood Brothers - Another new gundam series that pays way too much homage to its numerous series beforehand. It's not bad, but it's not great. The first half was a slow start, but it got better. I'm surprised this a 24 episode  anime when it isn't even that strong. I'd rather have another season of Terraformars, One Punch Man, or Prison School. Something that merits another 12 episodes.

It's been hinted that this Gundam will be a two season one (like 00 and Seed/Seed Destiny) but who knows what it'll end up to be in the end anyway.

Terraformars will be getting its second season this year but I think the studio (or team at least) changed because the thing looks a lot less "serious" so far. I'm really not liking it all that much.

Not sure what you mean by pays way too much homage, but all Gundam series will stick with its traditions like masked villain character. Also, this is a 25 ep show.

It's been hinted that this Gundam will be a two season one (like 00 and Seed/Seed Destiny) but who knows what it'll end up to be in the end anyway.

SEED and SEED Destiny never had split seasons. Both shows had one continuous run. The split season trend started with Code Geass, then Gundam 00 followed afterwards.

SEED and SEED Destiny never had split seasons. Both shows had one continuous run. The split season trend started with Code Geass, then Gundam 00 followed afterwards.

I'm sure you 100% knew what I meant with that. SEED Destiny is a second season to SEED, whether you want to ignore it or not. It wasn't split, it was simply a second season with a different lead at the start. 00 wasn't split either. It technically has an ending, with the second season doing a time jump into the future.

Also, I never mentioned anything about split seasons. Split seasons are what they've been doing more recently. Cutting off a story halfway through and being all like "HEHEHEH NOW WAIT A FEW MONTHS FOR THE ACTUAL ENDING". And you know that. (I mean, you're a Fafner fan, aren't you? What they did to Exodus, that was a split cour/season. It's nothing like SEED/Destiny or even 00.)

Of all the anime discussion forums I visit, I've never seen anyone worded it that way. You're getting the words sequel and seasons mixed up. SEED Destiny not a 2nd season, it's a sequel series to SEED. I get what you mean now but you're wording makes things confusing for others. :|

00 series IS a split season. While S1 of 00 did had a sense of closure, it certainly wasn't the end. Unlike SEED Destiny, 00 S2 was planned from the start of S1. SEED Destiny was a complete afterthought.

Not sure what you mean by pays way too much homage, but all Gundam series will stick with its traditions like masked villain character. Also, this is a 25 ep show.

You are right about that, but I guess I'm just getting tired of it.

Dagashi Kashi is boring as shit to everyone I've shown it to.

So why is it so interesting to me? haha

Same. I had a person watch the first episode with me and fell asleep.

I sort of liked it, but for some reason it did seem to drag. At this point i like the 2 female characters better than the main character. I'm on the fence on whether I will continue with it or not.

Yeah. I guess because I've seen candy shops like that in other countries that I've been to when I was a grubby little kid, I can relate to them liking Dagashi Snacks so much lol.

x2 on the dragging on part. Sometimes I enjoy watching it, other times I just play it in the background when I do homework.

Dagashi Kashi is pretty good imo. I find it to be pretty interesting with all the candy and snack knowledge that's being dropped every episode and the characters are decent and there's been more than a few times I've laughed my ass off so far... I mean obviously if your not into Slice of Life Comedy series or random snack trivia then you'll probably find it pretty boring xD

I'm gonna rank this season's new shows I guess,

My Favorites (basically what I'm enjoying the most)

Boku dake ga Inai Machi

Hai to Gensou no Grimgar

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu

Honorable Mentions (stuff that I really like but I'm not enjoying as much as above)

Bubuki Buranki

Dagashi Kashi

Dimension W

Koukaku no Pandora

Muisaigen no Phantom World

Schwarzesmarken

Tabi Machi Late Show

Just Decent Barely (either shows that I think are just not that good compared to the rest, or shows I haven't been able to get completely into yet)

Divine Gate

HaruChika: Haruta to Chika wa Seishun Suru

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!

Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation

Prince of Stride: Alternative

Shoujo-tachi wa Kouya wo Mezasu

Skip (Shows I think can be safely skipped if you don't have time)

Active Raid: Kidou Kyoushuushitsu Dai Hachi Gakari

Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm

Luck & Logic

Nijiiro Days

Norn9: Norn+Nonet

Ojisan to Marshmallow

Ooyasan wa Shishunki!

Oshiete! Galko-chan

Saijaku Muhai no Bahamut

Most enthralled lately with Dimension W and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei ← wtf did I never watch this before

Honorable mention to K: Return of Kings

Was most recently obsessed with Noragami, hopefully a season three is coming.

Most anticipating the Handa-kun anime though.

Was most recently obsessed with Noragami, hopefully a season three is coming.

Most anticipating the Handa-kun anime though.

I'm fairly sure the voice actor for Yato messed up somewhere and partly revealed a season three is on the way.

The Handa-kun anime should be a total Handa-mess. It's going to be great.

Also, totally off-topic (or maybe slightly not) but every time I see your icon I'm just screaming "IT'S KOJOU" in my head.

----

I've ended up being pretty much "meh" at everything this season. It's really weak. I haven't experienced a season this weak in like... three years? So far the only ones I've really been loving/liking are Hai to Gensou no Grimgar, Dimension W, and Boku Dake ga Inai Machi.

The only other ones really getting my attention are just the leftovers from previous seasons like Diamond no Ace, Heavy Object and Haikyuu. I guess Prince of Stride is somewhat amusing. If only for the stellar cast of voice actors.

I can't wait for Spring Season tbh.

If it wasn't for the sublime artwork that's very pleasing on the eyes, I would have long dropped Hai to Gensou no Grimgar. I do not believe I have ever watched something so utterly bored with itself; I have sat through six episodes now and only one crucial thing has happened thus far, and every other episode is identical to its preceding one — whining about not being able to advance, immature sexual remarks by Ranta, Haruhiro everlastingly struggling with himself on the inside, and the other characters fading away in the background because they are not hysterical enough. Can something happen already? You have slow-paced anime, but then you have anime that do not progress at all. The latter applies here.

On the other hand, Dimension W (the scenery and atmosphere are reminding me of Cowboy Bebop), Divine Gate, Durarara!!×2 Ketsu and Prince Of Stride: Alternative are keeping me entertained. Boku dake ga Inai Machi is incredible despite its overhyped name. The second installment of Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri is wearing me out more and more and is the other disappointment of the winter season.

If it wasn't for the sublime artwork that's very pleasing on the eyes, I would have long dropped Hai to Gensou no Grimgar. I do not believe I have ever watched something so utterly bored with itself; I have sat through six episodes now and only one crucial thing has happened thus far, and every other episode is identical to its preceding one — whining about not being able to advance, immature sexual remarks by Ranta, Haruhiro everlastingly struggling with himself on the inside, and the other characters fading away in the background because they are not hysterical enough. Can something happen already? You have slow-paced anime, but then you have anime that do not progress at all. The latter applies here.

lol that's what I like about Grimgar tho xD I like that's it's slow paced and depressing, it's way more realistic that way. If you or I was transported to some fantasy world with no memories of anything prior to waking up I imagine our experiences would be very similar to that of the characters in Grimgar. The world is gritty and hard to survive in, much more so since you wouldn't have any of the skills to do so, you would literally have to start from the bottom. It would be like being a newborn babe trying to learn how survive again.

The scene where they killed their first goblin was so intense and felt so real to me. I thought yep that would be how I would react if that was me.

I don't want another show with overpowered main characters and plot armor so thick that they couldn't die even if they tried to. I don't need a definitive protag that has some hidden potential and all that mess. and I don't want some major time skip or training arc to progress the story to the point where the characters are godlike. Characters should struggle and have a hard time adapting to this new strange world they've been thrown into, they should have inner conflicts with what is happening to them and they should die if they make critical mistakes or hell just die for being unlucky. having characters who just automatically accept their situation and be totally okay with it would so unrealistic and just unappealing to me.

The show has progress but it's just not the kind of progress you want, you want something to happen to give the show a focus and the characters a goal. and then for the character to work towards that goal and triumph or whatever. but that's probably not gonna happen because from what I've seen so far this show seems more about these specific characters and their struggles in adapting to this new environment and their relationships and bonds with each other and not about the world or anything else happening outside really. I would almost say it has a very "slice of life" vibe to how they are focusing on the more mundane things that are occurring around these characters sometimes. and that's the charm of this show if you ask me.

I have the same Issue with Grimgar when it comes to the substance side of the show. Aside from the pacing, the biggest problem I have is the obvious character archetypes. We got a very bland shonen-esque character. What, oh we have a big nice gentle guy so he has to be the brute swordsman of the party. Quiet shy girl? Have her be a magician. Whiny pervert? Ya you get the point. I'm also annoyed with the pandering sexist remarks objectifying women. It's things like this that makes it hard for me to take LN adaptations seriously. To comment more on the pacing aspect, we're on episode 6 and these guys are STILL fighting goblins? Get a move on already! D:

All-out_teaser-Visual.png

I will watch it for the plot.

I don't know if you're being serious or not but I will actually watch it for plot xD I'm actually quite interested in it since you don't see many Rugby anime out there and plus Madhouse is doing it so I'm hoping for some sports show magic.

them muscles tho. XD

Lol so unnecessary that ass, looks more like he hide the ball in the shorts.

Btw, talking about sports' anime, I want to began to watch "Haikyu!", did someone had watch it, it's worth?

I love HQ a lot. Both manga and anime. It's a great adaptation imo. It's much less flashy than things like Kurobasu and it focuses more on the growth of the teams though, if that's what you're searching for.

---

Something different but some voice actors just make me sad when they do their voicing well. I almost wanted to pat sad/upset pup (Yagami) Kimura on the head when I heard his comment at the end of this week's Prince of Stride episode.

Lol so unnecessary that ass, looks more like he hide the ball in the shorts.

Btw, talking about sports' anime, I want to began to watch "Haikyu!", did someone had watch it, it's worth?

Nothing unnecessary about some nice man booty.