Vitne Eveille

Poll: Single vs EP vs Album?

Which do you prefer? Single, EP, or album? And why?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which type of release do you like best by bands/artists? And why? (answer below)

Hello!

Just doing a bit of research :)

I'm asking this because growing up, I preferred the album.  However, as the industry has changed, I've grown to like the EP and the single much more than I used to.  I like it when artists will release a few singles or EPs more frequently, rather than a new full-length every few years.

For example, I can count on GACKT releasing a couple of singles each year.  I like it, I know he's active.  I keep up with him.  Goldfinger (i know, not VK music) has released something like 1 new single in the last 6 years.  I love Goldfinger, but I kinda forget about them for a while, and then think "geeze, I wonder if Goldfinger has released anything new" - and they haven't.

So my vote is now for either single or EP.  What about you?

depends. If it's a 3 (or +) types singles each 3 months = the answer is NO. It's too much to buy. I tend to prefer EP and full albums.

Of course If you don't buy singles then it's great to hear new music every 3 months. But the VK rhythm is not too long tho (I'd rather say it's fast).

Outside VK, it really depends the band's frequency (your point about Goldfinger). One of my favourite band, Guano Apes, are releasing 1 album every 3 years. Nothing more, nothing less, It's settled like that for years. And between that (=when it's not the time for promotion, videos or promotional singles), nothing. No EP, no singles. In that case, ia it's too long. But I'd rather wait for something great and consistent every 3 years than mediocre songs more often.

I voted EP and album. I grew up as an "album person," so I prefer that format ultimately. Even today, I listen to full albums all the way through 95% of the time, even if some of the songs aren't that good. I like to think that the artist made that album so it has his/her own complete "vision" that should be listened to all the way through, in the order as intended. EPs are okay too tho, especially for younger bands or in some specific genres.

depends. If it's a 3 (or +) types singles each 3 months = the answer is NO. It's too much to buy. I tend to prefer EP and full albums.

Of course If you don't buy singles then it's great to hear new music every 3 months. But the VK rhythm is not too long tho (I'd rather say it's fast).

Outside VK, it really depends the band's frequency (your point about Goldfinger). One of my favourite band, Guano Apes, are releasing 1 album every 3 years. Nothing more, nothing less, It's settled like that for years. And between that (=when it's not the time for promotion, videos or promotional singles), nothing. No EP, no singles. In that case, ia it's too long. But I'd rather wait for something great and consistent every 3 years than mediocre songs more often.

Well said, I suppose the primary issue is frequency.  Maybe it would be best if the artist were to establish some sort of consistent release schedule, like the Guano Apes' 1-album-every-3-years thing.  Kinda nice knowing what to expect like that.

I agree about singles being too frequent, there's too much to buy.  That's another reason there that I like the EP overall more than singles, but if it is a single, I really really prefer it to have a B-side or an instrumental version (especially if its a pretty song)

Depending of the band, some band have better sound in single rather than album (like -OZ-, I really love them in single but really don't like their album release...) or Like Inhale who release one single every year and between... nothing else... (butt hey have some other problem xD) but it's true now in Vk it's absolutely ridiculous (I remember xTRIPx has release 3 maxi single with Dvd for 1890yen the same day... THREE THE SAME DAYS, holy shit...) or have 1 single every month, with no consitent music... and I'm pretty sure if everyone will buy only album, they release each month a new album...

but maybe I prefer Album (or mini album) more than single (event if some times on singles B-sides are better than titles song.)

And for occidental band, I interested only in Album... in our country single is just one or two song extract for the album, so it's useless XD!

Depending of the band, some band have better sound in single rather than album (like -OZ-, I really love them in single but really don't like their album release...) or Like Inhale who release one single every year and between... nothing else... (butt hey have some other problem xD) but it's true now in Vk it's absolutely ridiculous (I remember xTRIPx has release 3 maxi single with Dvd for 1890yen the same day... THREE THE SAME DAYS, holy shit...) or have 1 single every month, with no consitent music... and I'm pretty sure if everyone will buy only album, they release each month a new album...

but maybe I prefer Album (or mini album) more than single (event if some times on singles B-sides are better than titles song.)

And for occidental band, I interested only in Album... in our country single is just one or two song extract for the album, so it's useless XD!

Agreed, if a single is just the same thing as what's on the album, I don't feel there's any point buying the single.  But if it's a single totally separate from any album, maybe with a cool b-side, THEN I like it.

I tend to prefer albums, because some bands make them with a certain concept in mind and it's nice to try and experience the same kind of "journey" the artists tried to express in music. (DIM by the GazettE can be a fitting example of what I'm trying to say.) As far as singles are concerned, most times I just like the title track or one of the b-sides, so I don't enjoy them as much...

I like singles only if they are leading up to an album release that year. And they do not have ridiculous price and multiple types. Edit: and to be clear I do expect b-sides and/or remixes, music videos and/docu footage with those singles to make them worth the money)

Othwerwise I much prefer to wait until the artist has at least an EP worth of material. But albums are my favorite, like mentioned above I enjoy when an artist puts together a collecive vision in their albums and all the songs work together conceptually.

I look forward to mostly albums. If I'm new to a band, I'll give one of their albums a listen more so than an EP or single. If there's news on a new release from a musician, I'll more than likely end up looking into them if it's an announcement of a full length album. I know it's all about quality over quantity, but it just grabs my interest more to be honest. And also, I get way too sad when an album ends, so you can imagine how I feel when listening to an EP or single which ends way too quickly. I'll usually check out singles of bands and singers I'm already a fan of, to insure I give their whole discography a listen. If they haven't gotten a new album out in a while, like Lycaon at the moment, I'll just check out their singles though. Actually, about singles, if I enjoy a PV of a musician, I'll definitely head straight to the single or album it's featured on and give it a listen that way. It's how I get into most artists. But, going back to my main point, it's album for me, defo. 

I like all formats, but have found myself to be more partial to singles & EP:s recently. Partly for practical reasons. I blind buy a lot of stuff, so if a record turns out to be a one-sider at least 50% of it is good when it comes to singles (compared to 1/10:th or 1/12:th for an album). Plus they don't take up as much space & shipping is cheaper (for vinyl at least).

Also, singles & EP:s are the preferred choice of bullshit bands that never made it big and faded away into obscurity ...which is my favorite type of band :wink:

Mini-albums and demo tapes are cool as well!

Something between an EP and an album ...around 6-8 tracks or ~ half an hour in lenght or so.

* 4-8

any albums for the great bands and artist because i want more. single and eps/mini for the ok to some good songs bands/artist (also for those who dont know what they are doing).

I always prefer EP because it sounds like more effort is put into each songs and less tracks to deal with since I barely have the time for full albums anymore.

Hmm.. I prefer a full-lenght album the most. The more material, the better. Nothing wrong with EP too, though. And bands put more thought into albums & EPs than singles.

But I think that Japanese music made me appreciate single releases more because of often including more than just one song, even though nowadays some bands overdo it with ridiculous amount of different types. But nothing wrong with releasing a maxi-single once in a while. B-sides are often a good chance for bands to experiment a little or do a cover song (I don't see enough of these!!) But releasing six months consecutive singles and then a full lenght album with those 6 singles and 4 new songs? No thanks.

The Novembers are a band whose release "strategy" I like They have released 5 albums, 4 EPs and not very many singles. They don't just stick to the "one album every two years trolol" pattern. You never know what they come up with next.