Seimeisen

How To Create A Japanese iTunes Store Account

Welcome to the official tutorial to create a Japanese iTunes account!

Before you get started, make sure you have all of the following:

✅ An E-mail Address That Is Not Registered To An iTunes Account

Something like Gmail, Yahoo, etc. I would not recommend that you attempt to use your iCloud e-mail address (if you have one).

✅ A Valid Japanese Billing Address

From what I’ve read around, iTunes requires a valid Japanese billing address and they have a system that will check. While it’s probably against Apple’s terms of service, you can use public/business addresses. One user used J-list’s business address, for another account of mine, I used my Tenso mailbox. You could probably even use a Japanese Apple Store location.

✅ A Japanese Phone Number

Requirement is debatable. Some people have claimed that they have used their own (non-Japanese) phone numbers, others have claimed to use a random string of numbers, or a 01 2345 6789 sequence… do whatever works!

✅ Japanese iTunes Gift Card

I highly recommend that you use Japan Codes, because their cards are the cheapest, and they have a wide selection of cards for other stores, such as レコチョク. I also recommend OffGamers.com if you have multiple iTunes store accounts from many different countries. I use OffGamers to get cards for my UK iTunes account.

One thing to keep in mind about gift code shops:

Every single one of these shops claim to send out gift codes immediately. Some shops live up to this promise... sometimes. It really depends. Sometimes one shop will send out codes instantly, other times that same shop may make you wait a few days.

Now that you have everything on that checklist, let’s get started…

Open up iTunes and go to iTunes Store. If you’re logged into an iTunes account already, then log out.

Then, scroll all the way down to the store homepage, and click on the flag in the bottom corner. It will take you to the region select page.

When you're on the region select page, look for the Japanese flag and click it.

Spoiler

aaDRcI1.jpg

2wVeh1f.jpg

Now you’re in the Japanese iTunes store.

Some computers may display the store in Japanese.

If that’s the case, then...

続ける = continue

キャンセル = cancel

戻る = back

同意する = agree

Click the Sign In button, then click the Create Apple ID button.

Spoiler

wzo3uEO.jpg

You’ll get some Welcome to iTunes screen. Click Continue.

Then there will be a Terms and Conditions page, check the box at the bottom, and click the agree button.

Now, let’s enter some basic account information:

Spoiler

B22BkxF.jpg

Here’s where we begin to have some fun! Many people have trouble with this part.

GlnXA6E.jpg

Don’t worry, you actually can skip the Payment Type part with all the credit cards, and just enter your gift card code below that.

Enter the Billing address. I used From Japan’s headquarters in the picture above, and you could probably get away with using it, too.

Click Create Apple ID and buy some Japanese music!

Feel free to PM me with any questions or feedback.

thank you Seimeisen for taking your time and create this useful guide for the n00b as I am (and surely others) xD and that's very clear tho !

I bought the gift card from japan codes and it was actually a lot cheaper than on offgamers!

Wait, what?

... *goes to check Japan Codes*

WOW! They lowered their prices! Their cards used to be a lot more expensive. Thank you for mentioning that you got the card from Japan Codes.

Edited the main post to update the section on gift code shops. Japan Codes is now the best pick.

Thank you! Been wanting to complete my Sakura Boys collection, but the rest of their music was only available through Japan iTunes. Now I can!

EDIT:

P.S. Worked just wonderfully! Was able to purchase what I wanted without any problems. Thank you!!

How likely are visual releases to be on iTunes?

Depends on the label, and sometimes even the band. You can find a pretty good selection of recent VK releases. There are quite a lot of smaller bands that you just won't see on iTunes JP. Some things will be missing, sometimes a label might skip a release entirely, and other releases could take months to appear (e.g. Lycaon's "Camera obscura" was released on CD in February, just hit iTunes JP two weeks ago, four months after its release).

With Apple music, i think is no necessary buy songs. Because in my account german i have many artists VK to listen in apple music <3 Now Imagine with a account Japanese hahaha :D

Just followed these steps and made a new account. 

The Japan Codes website is completely sold out but I found some on OffGamers that worked and it was instant for me.

Thank you for the help. My address is MilkBoy in Shibuya lmao

Just attempted the tutorial, but Japan Codes was out and OffGamers wouldn't let me pay. I'm not really sure why. But I've had verification issues through my bank/Visa before so I'm not very surprised. I'm wondering if I can get someone I know to do it for me and just give them the cash as needed... Hmm... 

30 minutes ago, ShanethVarosa said:

OffGamers wouldn't let me pay. I'm not really sure why. But I've had verification issues through my bank/Visa before so I'm not very surprised. I'm wondering if I can get someone I know to do it for me and just give them the cash as needed... Hmm... 

In cases like this, I recommend using PayPal and having your checking accounts/credit cards linked up to it. By doing this, you won't have to worry about stupid Verified By Visa bullshit (or at least, you shouldn't).

What's funny, @Seimeisen, is that I thought the same thing and already have a verified PayPal account, so I went in to transfer the money I would need to pay on OffGamers and it's gonna take 3 days to process anyway. And I won't even be around on Thursday to reap the benefits of it. I guess if no one uploads these singles by Friday there's a chance I might be able to do it -_-

@ShanethVarosa3 days? That's strange! If you're talking about transferring from your bank account to PayPal, you shouldn't have to do that. When your cards/accounts are linked up to PayPal, they automatically charge whichever bank account/check card you choose.

Also, thanks to everyone giving the heads-up that Japan-codes is out of iTunes codes. I'll start looking into more shops to add to the main post. I wanna make sure this is always up-to-date!