Sign in to follow this  
saishuu

Blu-BiLLioN - Sincerely yours

sincerely_a.jpg  sincerely_b.jpg  sincerely_tsu.jpg

:4.5:

I suck at reviewing stuff. I really do. But I felt I had to write about this single because I'm almost sure it is now one of my favourite singles from a VK band this year together with amber gris' "in the Cell". Unfortunately, Blu-BiLLioN is always under the radar for most people, but they've grabbed my attention from the start with a promising line-up and a softer sound (I'm a sucker for soft-kei) that stands out amongst plenty of "core" and heavy bands that have saturated the scene these last years. Not even their high-pitched vocalist can ruin their sound - in fact, he actually elevates it because he's surprisingly really damn good. Plus, Haku is my bae and I'm glad he's finally in a more succesful band in the scene after BABYLON.

"Sincerely yours", the title song, is such a strong opener. This song (and most of their catalogue) could get pretty convoluted given how much things they put in a song (keyboards and electronic elements in addition to the other standard instruments), but everything here works so well. There are plenty of pop elements here executed to perfection, as well great production, a catchy hook, a nice and sound guitar solo and not a single boring moment throughout the whole thing. I'd say this is their best single track so far in their discography.

However, the true gem here for me is the b-side "call me". This could've easily turned generic with the guitars being slightly heavier (that solo too!), but the band puts their signature sound here with their pop sensibility and it really shines. Such a sharp song. The third song, "醜悪の宴", is the weakest of the bunch. It's not bad at all and not one to skip during listens, but it fails to be up to par with the other two - it also sounds kinda derivative of Moran's "Party Monster" somehow.

Anyway, I wish these guys would get the recognition they deserve. Their kind of sound is getting more and more uncommon these days and it's really exciting to still have a band like them releasing such quality material constantly. Hope there's tons of more music to come out from them. :)

Sign in to follow this