Ito

25 Days of ChristMHas Discussion Thread - 2014

Not gunna lie, I just can not deal with asobius's vocalist's engrish. Perhaps a bit of a stupid reason, but man I just can't do it.

But he re-recorded all those songs in Japanese. Just for you! XD

I keep checking for Royz because I love their costuming. But then their songs are so... light.  And I have a disconnect because I'm always expecting something so much darker. I agree with @fitear1590 about LILIA. That's been the only song that I have really enjoyed from them so far.

Even Tears was better than CORE that I didn't even bother giving a second listen. At least Tears had a few good songs, Birou to name one.

Lilia was a good single, plus one of the B-sides (Risk_144000) had to be one of Royz's best tracks. Imagine my disappointment when I found the album of that single was filled with poopcore crap.

I'm biased about Royz since I'm honoured they have a song titled as my real name. x) So I gave LILIA a listen when it first came out and it's up there with my first favourite song of theirs; Teardrop. Having listened to the Tears album only once and a bit of CORE, I think I can safely say I'm more into their singles and PV songs than any album tracks. So I agree with the above statements.

I'm not a Royz fan (not even close, lol) but I remember giving CORE a try when it came out, only because I couldn't get that song LILIA out of my head - catchyyy~ :D Anyway, I literally recall nothing from the album, other than it being kinda mediocre/not too bad.

Lilia was a good single, plus one of the B-sides (Risk_144000) had to be one of Royz's best tracks. Imagine my disappointment when I found the album of that single was filled with poopcore crap.

*removes CORE from HD and just downloads Lilia single*

These were two of my favorite albums of this year, as if that wasn't already obvious. I also know beni was positively surprised by them too. What did everyone else think of them?

Honestly, Onmyouza is one of those bands that I can take in very small doses and only at given times... I remember somewhat liking their old albums and even watching a live DVD of theirs that I quite enjoyed a few years back. So I decided to give the new double album-monster a try last month or so but truth be told, I could only get as far as 3-4 tracks before hitting delete.  :-( Sounded uninspired, boring and the guitars/overall sound was super-weak too.

Honestly, Onmyouza is one of those bands that I can take in very small doses and only at given times... I remember somewhat liking their old albums and even watching a live DVD of theirs that I quite enjoyed a few years back. So I decided to give the new double album-monster a try last month or so but truth be told, I could only get as far as 3-4 tracks before hitting delete.  :-( Sounded uninspired, boring and the guitars/overall sound was super-weak too.

I don't think you and I were listening to the same album. Fuujinkaikou sounds much less heavy than Kishibojin but way more melodic and that's the one it sounds like you started with. If you want heavy you should try the other album. That might be more your speed.

Zeus-san expressed how I felt with the album above, I really was 'positively surprised.' I gave one of their albums a listen ages ago and was blown away. It was just unfortunate I'll stick to the first musicians I got into more. >< I can agree with the 'taking in very small doses' part with this particular band. But that I can only actually say for that first album of theirs in this double release. It's a lot to take in on a 1 hour listen, but as I already said, it was totally worth it in the end. I'll be going back to both albums soon, I'm sure. But I can't recommend their second album enough. It's a lot more easier to get into, in my opinion, since it's not a full on metal hour like the previous one sounded. But I'm going to stand up for them on that last part. I didn't find any track boring at all. Exhausting is a more appropriate word to me, if I was any other listener. And damn son, guitars and sound was weak in the album!? You listen to some flawless metal! ^^ And yay to being honest and giving your opinion. It's the first time on here opinions on one of the releases has been so split!

Fuujinkaikou sounds much less heavy than Kishibojin but way more melodic and that's the one it sounds like you started with. If you want heavy you should try the other album. That might be more your speed.

Ah, that might be it! I might try listening to the 'heavier' one then, when I run out of other stuff (tho this kind of melodic metal isn't my cup of tea usually).

^ I hope you find something to enjoy then. And if anyone else doubts they're enjoying one of the albums, then just give the other a try. You'll be surprised.

I just noticed I got confused with which album you were talking about xD *buries self*

I was trying to make a solid attempt to provide a blurb for these albums, but man, I just couldn't get in to them. Fuujin Kaikou was a total snooze fest for me with it taking me a couple attempts to make it all the way through.

Raijin Sousei on the other hand came off as far more interesting. It has stuff like the opener (雷神) that I actually enjoyed, but for the most part it just felt so much more varied than the other album. 人首丸 sounded totally out of place and nothing like any of the other tracks across both albums which helped to keep things interesting. Kuroneko's traditional vocal stylings on 夜歩き骨牡丹 make for a really different sound as well. While this album still wasn't for me, if I were going to buy one, it would be with out a doubt this one.

Personally, I feel like if Onmyouza had decided to create one definitive experience, say 45 minutes long to maybe an hour, I think they could have trimmed the fat enough for me to have really enjoyed it. But 2 hours across 2 albums is just way too much and in the end I feel like it felt bland with only glimmers of quality that get lost amoungst the length.

Came across Onmyou-za once before, but forgot to dig into them.

Both of the albums are pretty solid and enjoyable IMO. Don't get the 'small doses' thingy.

Though that could also be just my immature taste, meh.

Came across Onmyou-za once before, but forgot to dig into them.

Both of the albums are pretty solid and enjoyable IMO. Don't get the 'small doses' thingy.

Though that could also be just my immature taste, meh.

You're not alone in forgetting mate! But I'm glad you got the time to try them out and even enjoyed them.

About the 'small doses' part, I said that as in it's a pretty lengthy 2 albums to listen to, making it a lot to take in if you're listening to it without pausing, at one fell swoop. I, personally, prefer listening to such heavy bands in parts so that a lot of the similarities I might hear aren't so obvious. Such as their first album became a bit tiring as I said above. That's probably not what Jig-san was saying, I guess.

And there's no such thing as 'immature taste.' xD Just the way we prefer when listening to them.

I've already said my 2 cents about it. But I do feel I was a little harsh on it now. After a few more listens I'd probably give it a half star more. but I still wish they'd try harder to distinguish their own sound. I think the similarities bug me because I don't believe the influence is genuine, it's something they started doing after they joined up with Hiro which says to me it's all about chasing that ¥¥¥.

I still have high hopes for the next album, though.

It's a very enjoyable album, but as I also said, I fully agree with you. The comparisons can't be helped with this band, and what you just said makes it sound like very little was their own inspiration. But then again, it's that what happens with most bands? I lot of influences might be more obvious than others. But I think, like OOR, they'll grow a lot. They've already got what it takes, in my eyes.

I realize my choice of words may have been a little careless in my last post. I was kind of trying to post quickly before I ran out of the house and didn't put a lot of thought into how insulting they might come off. But I still feel that this choice may have been more business driven than artistic, personally. But that's all speculation on my part, of course. I heartily agree they have what it takes and they'll put out some great music in the future. I mean, they already have put out some really great stuff. Kyogen Neurose had its share of great tracks.