Ito

25 Days of ChristMHas Discussion Thread - 2014

Hopefully this isn't too late to bring up but I finally gave 88kasyo's album a listen and now, I regret not doing so earlier so it could be higher on the list. xD A very enjoyable album, I'm going to have to check out the rest of their stuff now!

On the subject of that, reading everyone's reviews on the albums has sealed the deal in needing to listen to all these guys. I've been planning to go through girugamesh's whole discography, since I seem to have only went through their supposed worst releases. xD Kameleo are awesome too, had given their NOW! album a listen ages ago and really loved it. Happy to see them here.

About 6th spot, I think I've talked far too much about him here as it is. xD And everyone probably knows what I think of the album (Realised I forgot about the album review link to the post... sleep depravity is annoying so if anyone's interested, it's linked here and above, at the top until the next Featured Review is finished). If not, I'll just keep it short: it's fabulous~

Seems like not much love huh? D':

Edited by benibana

This album was my introduction to Tesla, so I don't know how they used to sound but I like this album. I was really happy to see it made the list. I'll definitely need to check their older stuff since the blurbs have me curious how the original versions of some of these songs sound.

SHOWS UP A WEEK LATER WITH STARBUCKS

I actually tried the Wagakki-band album and I'm really pleased. I've never been a fan of Vocaloid, but to see Vocaloid songs to be covered so creatively always makes me smile. Definitely a favourite of mine this year.

Could never get into Kameleo sadly, I don't mind pop-rock VK bands in general but the songs aren't catchy enough for my taste.

Wasn't too fond of gravitation either. It's still the same formula they've played since NOW, just mixed with deeper guitar riffs and more wubs. But if fans are digging it again, then sure, great!

Arukara's album was great as usual, probably one of my favourites of theirs yet next to Drama. The violin play in the third track was one of the best sections I've heard this year.

I sadly never got into 88kasyou, it just doesn't click with me and I have difficulties describing why. Maybe I'll get into them one day, I hope. They're very talented though, it's just not for me.

TK did a great job as expected. Fantastic Magic had a few filler tracks near the end that made me go "eh" but overall it was an enjoyable album. unravel is probably the most overrated song on the album in my opinion. The guitar sections are excellent but the chorus is very underwhelming. I feel like the popularity is also caused by it being the opening song for Tokyo Ghoul. The title track is one of my favourite songs this year though.

I've never heard of TESLA, but that video made me really interested! Loving the piano-driven sound, definitely going to give this one a try!

88kasyo's vocal makes TK sound cute.

Though, I probably can enjoy them as long as I limit the listening to the point my brain doesnt overheat.

They must really hate the simple is best phrase.

And agreed with sai, Fantastic Magic's title track deserves more love.

SHOWS UP A WEEK LATER WITH STARBUCKS

I actually tried the Wagakki-band album and I'm really pleased. I've never been a fan of Vocaloid, but to see Vocaloid songs to be covered so creatively always makes me smile. Definitely a favourite of mine this year.

My explanation of their sound when I first mentioned them to you was terrible but now that you've listened you can understand where I was coming from. Maybe. In any case I'm glad you liked it.

No love for NEGOTO on this site? I know all-female pop rock isn't the most well-liked thing on this forum but those previews don't sound bad at all. I might check it out at a later date or if a new release of theirs comes my way next year.

For me, negoto is one of those bands that are always pleasant to listen to, but rarely have any songs that stick with me in the long run. Their vocalist is absolutely adorable, though, and these girls are really tight musicians.

I love TK - amazing musician (one of my fav. guitarists) and composer, but "fantastic magic" just didn't deliver like I expected. I feel like the album was aimed more at the alternative jpop audience than longtime LTS fans, which is perfectly understandable, but not quite for me. As long as LTS continues to deliver, then I'm not too overly concerned about the where TK takes his solo project. P.S. - the title track was one of my favs from the album.

"clepsydra" is obviously one of my favorite releases of the year and I'm really excited about chouchou's growth as a band! If their track on the latest zankyo compliation is any indication, then they've got even cooler stuff coming down the pipes!

Fantastic Magic seems hit & miss to me, I prefer flowering. I thought the direction is like the contrast EP, but somehow below my expectations. I like more aggressive and upbeat song coming from TK.

I have DL'ed 88kasyo and don't have time listened to it XD

I love negoto too, their recent mini album is solid!

tesla and chouchou are doing great contributions, my playlist always stick to them :D

I think, this year, there is more non VK review huh?

Without spoiling the rest of the list, and accounting for releases that fall somewhere between visual kei and not visual kei, the ratio of visual kei reviews to non-visual kei reviews average out to the same as last year. We may actually have more visual kei releases this year but I haven't counted the picks myself so don't take my words as truth. What's most important about the visual kei releases this year is where they pop up in the list. All I can say is we have some interesting picks so keep checking in every day until Christmas!

I had heard of chouchou merged syrups. thanks to our lovely Cat but had yet to listen to them until yesterday after knowing today is their place on the chart. I'm an easy target with any female vocals so I just had to give them a listen at that point. I can't believe how many musicians I've pushed aside for later hearing and forgetting them! Having listened to clepsydra now, they're one of my new favourite indie bands. The vocalist's voice is just so perfect and really gives me those typical indie vocal vibes to me, her pitch and performance is just brilliant to me. And the music is so awesome, I instantly adored it with the opening alone. I found it interesting to read that cinema staff's bassist is involved in the group, and seeing as I'm quite fond of that band, I looked forward to finally trying it out. It's just too bad the album is so tiny, but that gave me more encouragment to download a few other of their tracks. No regrets!

RE: NEGOTO

-Deith is my fellow-NEGOTO man, haha.
-I'm glad you see their talent even if you don't actively listen to them, Cat. Maybe one of these days, they'll be able to convert you!
-And I agree with saishuu, their single after the mini-album is SO good.

As for chouchou merged syrups., I'm surprised to see so many of you enjoyed it that much. While it's definitely better than the first mini-album overall, I can't seem to get into it. The vocalist definitely improved, but I still find her voice to be barely tolerable on this release. Musically, I don't find it that memorable. I still remember the awesome opening riffs from "ヒエログリフと遊ぶ" on their first mini over anything on here. I hope it'll grow on me though! I generally enjoy Zankyo stuff.

Can I just say that ever since I saw this particular artist/album banner, I think it's absolute fab. It really expresses asobius so much to me, really fitting.

So, about the album! I forgot at what point and where I found asobius but I gave Starlight a listen and was instantly hooked. Good thing they put that tune at track 1, it's way too catchy to not get into the feel and mood to listen to the full album. They're the kind of band that, like I said in the small blurb, really makes magic with music I think. It's just so highly enjoyable to listen to them, I can't imagine anyone not liking them, I really can't. I might be sounding too positive in them and album itself, but they never fail in brightening up my day whenever I give them a listen. I only hope others will try them out and may feel the same way, it's just totally worth it. 

Edited by benibana

asobius have such a great sound. Its so dreamy and melodic. I have to second everything benibana said. The album is a perfect escape if you're having a bad or crazy day. I feel like it's outside of the realm of what most MH users might check out but it's so so so worth it. I promise.

Not gunna lie, I just can not deal with asobius's vocalist's engrish. Perhaps a bit of a stupid reason, but man I just can't do it.

Not gonna lie... I actually prefer the Engrish versions. XD

Of course that's not stupid, people can't stand Riku's or Satoshi's right? We all enjoyed different parts of music more!

Some people just don't like engrish so it's understandable, for me it's usually a hit or miss... some songs with engrish I can really dig if I think it's done correctly, other's i can not stand xD

As for Asobius, I've actually never listened to them ever... But after reading all the great feedback this album is getting I'll probably end up checking them out very soon when i have more time on my hands :)