Ito

25 Days of ChristMHas Discussion Thread - 2014

THE NOVEMBERS really are coming into their own as of late. I find that noisy albums tend to have a habit of either being really good or coming across as too gimmicky without any actual substance. Rhapsody in beauty is definitely is a case of the former and not the latter, and I feel rather comfortable in listing it in my personal top three albums released this year. I also think 今日も生きたね deserves some love; sure it's only a two-track release rather than a full-length but I found both tracks to be very good.

I found HOLLOWGRAM enjoyable but certainly nothing revolutionary. I'd say Qualia is one of the more enjoyable releases of the year but there have definitely been other releases that deserve more praise. Still, I'm interested to see what they put out next so it must have done something right.

Thanks for posting, Pho3nyx!

I would have been a huge fan of including "今日も生きたね" on Rhapsody in beauty; it's an absolutely gorgeous song! Despite the length and relative tranquility of the song (as compared to the noisier stuff on the album), it doesn't drag at all.

I also agree about HOLLOWGRAM. While not in my top-tier, it will be making my honorable mention list this year and they do have me excited enough to look forward to whatever new material they have in the works.

*throws confetti all over thread*

Happy xMHas! 

I've enjoyed the couple of charisma.com songs I've heard, but I dunno if they're my thing for an entire album. It was nice to see something really unexpected top the list though. So exciting! XD

So, the best thing released this year is a pop album by idol duo who sings about household problems.

That twist.

Gold.

I really enjoyed NOISE. Mostly tracks 2-4, but the others are fine for a casual listen too.

Angel and Quicksilver were grand.

At least to me.

Charisma.com is nothing like idol-culture (pretty sure MC Itsuka would have your head if she heard you say this lmao). If there's anything they don't like, it IS idol-culture. And it's not household problems they rap about, it's about issues that plague Japanese society as a whole. I wouldn't judge this book by its cover, because you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I like the fact that Incogneeto expects the staff to please EVERYONE with their picks and resp. positions ("boohoo boohoo spoopykyo is not high enough")- also: him/her ruling out the general reaction of MH community towards this release (anything but "eww pop idol duo", if you ask me)

Edit/reminder: I think Ito should change the sample song to "Iinadzuke Blue" (which is from "DIStopping") rather than "HATE" (which on the other hand is from "Aye Aye Syndrome") - just nitpicking!

I like charisma.com - they've got a great sound, but I don't really find myself returning to their music very often. It would be pretty interesting if Fragment produced an entire album for them, though.

LOVE Charisma.com. It's quite rare I'll try rap vocals (well, not so recently to be honest), but these two, I find, are ever so impressive. Thanks to Zeus for the lyric links, they're even more impressive once you know the topics in the songs. Now I need to spend the rest of the holiday in listening to the other artists which have charted on here. It's been great, and I hope every artist has enticed some new fans and you all enjoyed the countdown.

Glad you have been following the whole way through XD

I'm happy that there has been at least one person that has been checking out stuff from this list. :)

I like the fact that Incogneeto expects the staff to please EVERYONE with their picks and resp. positions ("boohoo boohoo spoopykyo is not high enough")- also: him/her ruling out the general reaction of MH community towards this release (anything but "eww pop idol duo", if you ask me)

I like the fact how everyone took it as I'm whining since everyone expected someone like that to show up.

I merely expressed my surprise at how a pop album got the best award, after most of the kickass works in the list being rock or metal in a joking way.

I wouldn't judge this book by its cover, because you'll be pleasantly surprised.

The staff earned me enough faith with the ChristMHas thread as a whole for me to not do that, lol.

I like the fact how everyone took it as I'm whining since everyone expected someone like that to show up.

I merely expressed my surprise at how a pop album got the best award, after most of the kickass works in the list being rock or metal in a joking way.

Don't worry, I got the joke at least. :)

The surprise behind DIStopping (erm) topping the list was a big surprise if you don't frequent the chat. Anyone who does could have guessed this would happen. We were hoping the curveball would both spice up the list and encourage people to try them out.