Ito

25 Days of ChristMHas Discussion Thread - 2014

Vocalo Zanmai is one of the best surprises I've found in visual kei all year. Are we alone in thinking this?

No, definitively one the best albums of 2014! Can't wait for the next one!

Their single Hanabi has my hopes raised. It's the same style as VZ with it's an original composition and not a rearrangement. They're so consistent that it's hard to pick up on the differences between the two. Plus, for a band that's not strictly visual kei they excel at having music and visuals that complement one another.

If their second album is as solid as their first, we might have a force to be reckoned with on our hands.

It's amazing how polished they are, musically and visually. I really can't say I know another band doing this style as well as they are and a full album of originals would send me over the moon. Not that I even knew that they were in fact covers in the first place but shhhhh.

Gravitation was the best thing I've heard from girugamesh in a while now. I was kind of expecting more of the same from them and it was nice to hear them branching out a little bit and  getting kind of heavy again. And it spawned Ryo making those hilarious "covers". That was one of the most entertaining things I've experienced in jrock all year. lol.

I haven't listened to girugamesh in a while but that preview alone sounds better than I anticipated. I might check out gravitation when I encounter a slow day in music.

I never actually listened to a girugamesh album until this year (thx sweetholm). I started off with MONSTER, which I thought was pretty great, so I was definitely interested when this came out. It seems like a continuation of that sound and while it was a bit same-y overall, there are some tracks here that I've incorporated into my normal rotation. ;3

Vocalo Zanmai is one of the best surprises I've found in visual kei all year. Are we alone in thinking this?

I think they are not VK, yes, they are dressed like a VK band, but different, to me they are just a doujin band (because their early album released in doujin event) become major avex band. I admit they are good, but there are lot of better vocaloid cover and rearrangement outside there. To be honest, I like the release, but can't get the hype.

girugamesh become my fave also, they are completely change to loud music scene, toured with many similar band that carried out the post hardcore/metalcore genre.

ARUKARA's release is great too, remind me of 9mm parabellum bullet :)

Wagakki-Band is what happens at the intersection of visual kei, doujin, and vocaloid. I can't deny the strong aesthetic presence which weaves itself into their music, which is one of the most defining characteristics of visual kei. The sound of the band itself is another matter entirely. Successfully fusing traditional instruments with modern instruments is a challenge in itself, but for such a young yet large band to get that sound right the first time around is impressive.

That's not to say that they're one of the best arrange bands I've ever heard - although they might get there in time - but the fact that they fused so many uncommon elements into their music makes them deserving of a spot here.

Arukara is a band I've always heard around indie circles but never got around to listening (same with Owarikara). No real reason why either.

Arukara is a band I've always heard around indie circles but never got around to listening (same with Owarikara). No real reason why either.

CAO is a great album to start with. :) I'm glad to see it reviewed as part of the best albums this year - it's easily one of my favorites and has been in constant rotation here since it came out.

Yeah, I agree, CAO is pretty neat! Saying this as someone who's not a big Arukara listener (actually this was the first release I tried from them). Anyway, it's a nice mashup of clever indie riffs and catchy vocals hooks, so I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who likes their rawk a little poppy but still with some brains.

Arukara has actually made it on the list three years in a row now. Out of the past three, CAO has sadly been the one the clicked the least for me. Not that I think it is bad...perhaps I think it is just too similar to their past releases and with an album a year it's not long enough for me to really miss their sound.

Personally i think 'CAO' might be my favorite album from them since their 2009 album 'BOY NEXT DOOR', It just feels really good and the songs are always stuck in my head for hours after I listen to them. I don't know what they did this time around that makes this album feel a little bit different from past albums but I hope they keep it up :D

I haven't listened to 88kasyo much, so take this with a huge grain of salt, but I actually feel like I have found a good comparison band for them. 88kasyo feels like a non VK version of cali≠gari's weirder side. The vocalist of 88kasyo especially reminds me of Ao.

Fantastic album. RIP is like a religious experience for me and  都会の魔界 has some of the coolest basslines ever. Thank you Cat5 for showing me the light.

I do enjoy 88 from time to time, but this was their first album in which I could listen to the whole thing in one sitting. Typically, I have to split it up because there's so much going on that it gets tiring for me, but this record has the right balance of technicality and craziness for me.