Ito

25 Days of ChristMHas! The Staff Album Picks of 2014.

Day 25 - Charisma.com - DIStopping

PvStj67.jpg

Release Date: Date

Label: LastrumMusic

Genre: Hip-Hop/Electronic/Female Fronted

Impressions from :

Only last year did these two gals get spotlight in their country of Japan, and for reasons sure to get you intrigued. Their rather brutally honest and confident attitude in negative topics surrounding their home they make into their main song themes. If you’re complaining about what clothing you’re wearing or want on your wish list, they’ll be there reminding you that doesn’t matter one bit. If you’re using the word “kawaii” too much, expect them to be hot on your tail on that one as well.  And if you’re procrastinating to the extreme on anything, they’ll tell you it’s always best to get the job done as soon as possible. These messages make a whole lot of entertainment, visually and lyrically, and a definite breath of fresh air in the music industry.

This album would make even Yasutaka Nakata have to take another look for possible inspiration. It’s that brave and that out there that even if the language barrier may be a problem for some foreign listeners, the tracks are the catchiest tunes of this year. Each song has a tempo different to the previous one, keeping it fresh and quick pacing throughout. Songs like チャンコイ (track 6) is, at first, rather reminiscent to Cornershops’ Brimful of Ashes, but then goes into a more K-pop influenced number. This catchy beat hook at the beginning of the majority of tracks grabs our attention and keeps it throughout thanks to the duo’s energy and tuneful electronic features. 

Having become instantly interested in them because of their acknowledged lyrical usage and the fact that I’m a sucker for these female duos, I’m very impressed and happy to be listening to them.  They’re feisty, they’re fearless, and they’re sure to keep you entertained with their humorous music videos and genuinely clever and meaningful lyrics. And now, it’s time they got the recognition outside of Japan they deserve.

Impressions from @Jigsaw9:

Charisma.com was like a breath of fresh air for me this year. It's been a while since I was able to truly get into a new J-pop act but this dynamic duo convinced me right off the bat with their ever-catchy (and cleverly presented) promo track/video "イイナヅケブルー." After being thoroughly enamored by this infectious lil' tune, I attempted to give their major debut album a try - and boy, am I glad I did! Itsuka and Gonchi present a unique combination of standard J-pop, EDM and hip-hop influences to construct a sound that is undoubtedly characteristic of Charisma.com. Throughout this eclectic and totally fun album we are treated to awesome club bangers, standard-fare "safe" pop numbers and electrified rap bits with an attitude that makes it hard not to smile and bob your head along while listening. I'm not really a "pop dude" but I can safely say that this is "The" J-pop album of the year for me.

Impressions from @Zeus:

As the subversive, eccentric pop duo Charisma.com slides comfortably into first place, I have to look back and admit that for a group that was only a blip on the radar two years ago they blew up fast. One can make the convincing argument that electropop with hip hop elements has been all the rage in America for the last few years, but Japan still clings to their idol groups as their preferred brand of pop. So it's not only impressive that the duo shook up the pop scene with a little bit of something old and a little bit of something new, but they adapted the sound to fit the rhythmic and tonal qualities of Japanese while keeping the rhythm and funk intact. Rapping in Japanese is not easy. Rapping well in Japanese is hard. Itsuka makes rapping look easy.

That alone is impressive, but DIStopping is so infectiously catchy it has mass market appeal. Charisma.com hooked scores of listeners by the chat alone, and I witnessed how quickly they went from being nobodies to having their own banner at the top of the forum. People who don't normally enjoy pop hear one song and get interested. These two girls work so well together it's hard not to enjoy their music. Whether they're railing against societal norms or talking about breasts, there's always one constant you can bet your rent on: interesting beats, a killer flow from Itsuka and a good hook from Gonchi. And at the end of the day, the duo proves that it's all you really need to make some damn good music. DIStopping is an album that gets better and better with each listen.

If you had asked me back in April if this album was going to top the year end list, I would have said that I didn't know. But since hindsight is 20/20, I can without certainty say that this is the best Japanese pop record released all year. Nothing even comes close.

Sample song:

Buy the album:

Amazon | CDJapan | YesAsia