Sign in to follow this  
BrenGun

[review] Calmando Qual - Best album Freaks -select collection 2001〜2014-

Review – Calmando Qual Best Album | Freaks -select collection 2001〜2014-
Next year at Janurary 14th Calmando Qual will release their first best album. But is this really the best of the best? I will give you maybe the answer.

Of course you always ask yourself, should I buy a best album? Well I try to give you the answer for this album. I did receive it early thanks to a Japanese friend. (^0^)/
Since we already know all songs, I'm not going to talk about how these songs sound like. So it's a review inside a different jacket.

1836588_10154871024320445_61080204635005
PRICE: 3,500円 (TAX IN)
BUY: http://darkestlabyri...net/product/612

untitled-1.png

The album contains 26 full tracks, including one unreleased song.

All others where not easy to get releases for their oversea fans. Hallelujah was never released before. The album duration is 02:01:47 so a bit more than 2 hours playtime. Which is not bad at all.

If you look at the track order then all songs are placed in a good order.

However if you look at the songs did they really pick up the best of the best?  My own answer is “no”. Since not all my favorite tracks are on this album.

Hallelujah was never released before, This track was composed by TASC including the lyrics. So this track was a high surprise. The lyric is VERY sexual… a truly 18+ song.

The music is a typical Tasc sounded song. lots of beautiful tunes made with a synthesizer, as we all were used from the Calmando Qual. This song is also a pretty heavy song.  (It's still to bad that Tasc has left the band in 2008) I really do love this track and I'm happy that they have released this song on this best album!

But now up to the re-recordings. What are the differences? are they needed to listen too? Well yes, you should 100% check them out at the release date.

Let's start with;

insanity; Do you remember the PV?  It’s the PV version. which is different than the version on the silent single.
1st spectrogram insanity SINGLE version; 2nd Best album version
insanity01.png?w=300&h=152 insanity02.png?w=300&h=152
Both songs to compare
insanity.png?w=627&h=110

So we finally have the PV version in good quality :3

PARADOX; you can clearly hear the differences if you listen to this track, since there is 0 effect of TASC synthesizer.
This track was already published in 2010 on a V/A. album which was almost impossible to get for oversea fans.
1st spectrogram paradox SINGLE version; 2nd Best album version
paradox01-flac.png?w=300&h=152 paradox02-flac.png?w=300&h=152
Both songs to compare
paradox.png?w=627&h=110

This retaken version has a very similar spectogram however it's played much more heavy and it's recorded without Tasc.

It's very interesting. The old and new version are both good takes. Its a nice version to also put inside your collection.

UNDEADMAN; It’s the short version, the Single version has a longer into and a bit more extra added BG tunes.
1st spectrogram Best album version 2nd Single version
undeadman-v-a-version-flac.png?w=300&h=1 undeadman-flac.png?w=300&h=152
Both songs to compare
undeadman.png?w=627&h=110

But we already know both versions.

Yugami; The only real difference I notice is the vocal; it’s not edited and a little bit different sung. and the volume of drum,bass and guitar is lesser. Maybe you can call this track a original recored version? It also gives me a way more “LIVE version feeling”, because it sounds like they play this song in front of you.
1st spectrogram Yugami  SINGLE version; 2nd Best album version
e6adaa-flac.png?w=300&h=152 e6adaav-a-version-flac.png?w=300&h=152
Both songs to compare
yugami.png?w=627&h=110

For me the tracks aren’t the best of the best, however, I keep my finger crossed for a next 2 disk best album for another 26 songs. (hopefully only OLD song, I've made a list below)
I still do like this best album, I never really liked “Doors” and “Deadman’s Party”, because of the horror theme sound. Velvet is an alright song, but the other 3 are for me not the best songs. I would have preferred “Chandelier” over “Ghost House”. But these songs stay for me "sound only good at live gigs".

Would I recommend this album to you?, somehow yes and somehow no. Because you simply need to ask yourself one question. Would I spent 3500yen for 4 unreleased tracks? Do I want to be able to read the lyric of hallelujah? If so, then yes you should buy it. However if you don't care about the lyric, then I more recommend you to buy this album digital, and maybe even those 4 tracks only.

If you own their discography like me, it would be a pity if it would be missing inside your collection.

Maybe you like to receive a shop bonus? well here is the list

SHOP BONUS

Closet Cild all stores: IC card Sticker
JishubanClub: Original badge + ticket for instore event
BRAND X: 絞殺された理想と赤い部屋 (Jeffrey Lionel Dahmer) MV storyboard DVD
Pure Sound: Comment DVD
Online shop: signature by members and 1 random cheki

I will not rate this album. since it's a best album;

BOOKLET contains LYRICS only. no Photos at all.

untitled-2.png

2nd BEST ALBUM WISH;

1st disk wish for new recordings, 2nd disk original versions

01 King
02 Diva
03 Wish
04 消えない悪夢
05 Death Song (Full version)
06 Chiisana sekai
07 FROM THE INVISIBLE DEPTS
08 garbage
09 静かな森
10 火の鳥
11 絞殺された理想と赤い部屋
12 Zesshou
13 Born IQUAL pain

01 美学
02 Life
03 SMASH THEM
04 March of the apes
05 過ち
06 鋼鉄の神々
07 erotic+grotesque+nonsense
08 Mother
09 affectation
10 EKUCbbw
11 bloated corpse
12 太陽と少年
13 Charity song

Nope. there is actually nothing re-recorded.

Hallelujah = unreleased song

insanity = PV version (never released)

paradox = v/a version (denki monologue 2)

yugami = v/a version (denki mayalogue)

undeadman = v/a version (starwave records vol.1)

all songs other songs are not re-masterd nor re-recored.

Some of the most intense details I have ever seen put into a review or post on a forum ever. I have to salute you.

I will pick this up eventually as I like some of this band`s stuff but it is not my style enough to collect the whole discography, thanks for the review.

Sign in to follow this