eiheartx

[HELP] Ripping DVDs (only for Mac users)

Hello guys,

I have hard times trying to rip my DVDs and I wanted to know, which programs do you use on OS X ? It was so much easier on Windows, I'm starting to regret it :s I have to say that VLC fucked up completely with the .vob format on OS X..it's a pain in the ass.

I explain some issues that I've had:

- I tried to read the .vob file on its source (VIDEO_TS). Sometimes it's working properly (I copy the file to my DD and it's ok), sometimes not : an empty video with a sort of scream (even when I tried to rip it with Handbrake on other formats -MP4 or mkv-). Fail.

- I tried some free logs found on the App Store. It doesn't want to rip some of my DVDs because the content is protected (dafuq ? it's a PV DVD, nothing much :/). Fail.

So if anyone would like to tell me how he's doing that, I'm listening.

Ok so, Fairmount is not working with my VLC (+, seems that it's not available anymore - but I thank you for trying to help me with my problem) BUT, I found an extraordinary log, MakeMKV, who convert all of my .vob in .mkv (even the protected files and the "empty files" i've made a test !!) in 2 minutes chrono without weight loss and with the same quality of .vob. Plus, it's free !! It's amazing !

if someone is interested, I recommend ! : http://www.makemkv.com (available for Windows and OS X)

Does anyone else that rip VOB's/DVDs want to try this out and tell me if it works? If it does, I may add it in the next time I revise the CD Ripping Manual.

A small blurb from the homepage:

•         Reads DVD and Blu-ray discs
  •         Reads Blu-ray discs protected with latest versions of AACS and BD+
  •         Preserves all video and audio tracks, including HD audio
  •         Preserves chapters information
  •         Preserves all meta-information (track language, audio type)
  •         Fast conversion - converts as fast as your drive can read data.
  •         No additional software is required for conversion or decryption.
  •         Available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
  •         Functionality to open DVD discs is free and will always stay free.
  •         All features (including Blu-ray decryption and processing) are free during BETA.

The paid version is 50 dollars, and my version has an 85 day trial.

Also, despite not being a Mac user, I ran tests with this because I was bored out of curiousity, since it's multi-OS. I can post my thoughts on the program for Windows if anyone likes.

My mistake; you're right, it's a trial version (I'm sorry ://).
I didn't see that because I have no advert when I open the log (I have to go to 'about makemkv' to see the purchase button and that my trial ends on octobre 29thD:). I might consider buying it, it's very useful and so simple to use, I'm waiting for the homepage to come back to life (exceeded bandwidth limit, it's down).

I found this on their website (on the purchase page) :

"MakeMKV contains both freeware and shareware functionality. You may use MakeMKV to convert or stream DVD and AVCHD discs for free, as much as you want. Converting or streaming Blu-ray discs is shareware functionality. You can use shareware functionality for free during 30-days trial period. If you like MakeMKV and you want to use it after your 30-days trial version expires, you need to purchase a registration key.

Registration key is valid for all MakeMKV versions on all platforms. There is no expiration time or any subscriptions.

MakeMKV is sold as "try-before-you-buy" software. You can try it for 30 days for free, so you have enough time to verify the program's functionality. GuinpinSoft inc doesn't refund your money if you are not satisfied with our products. The only shareware limitation is the expiration date. If shareware version does not work for you, registration will not change much. We urge you to test it out before you buy it and hope you will want to join our satisfied users!"

I think it could be a great idea to add this log for the ripping manual, yes (mostly asian releases -PV or stuff like that- are in DVD, the Blu Ray is still very rare).
I'm waiting for your report Re:pli:cant.

I'm also working in parallel with mkvtoolnix to merge some mkv files who has chapters not cut by makemkv (it's not makemkv's fault, the DVD was like that, one big file). This freeware is difficult to apprehend tho (I have to cut several times my files, and then start again because it only cut one part. Imagine with 5 parts XD) but it's functional so.

edit october 29th: makemkv stopped functioning, I need a registration key. :((( I might purchase it tho, 60,50€ (included CD/DVD backup if I understood well - I need to ask this point). But I need to contact them first, because they're asking for my OS system but Yosemite is not on the list (+ if a reinstall is possible if I'm switching to another OS system). I'll tell you when I'll have their answer. Apparently delete and reinstall the app is working, so I've downloaded a new version and now my trial is 80 days (until february 16th).

So, they said 'the software is available as download only, not as physical disc.' and my other questions were ignored -.-

Edited by eiheartx

Pretty old post. But I met the same problem recently. So I am here to show how I solved this issue. 

The device I am using is a old Macbook. I got this DVD ripper fo Mac which accepts DVD discs, ISO image and the DVD folder (VIDEO_TS). It has an inbuit DVD decoder which is able to bypass the encryptions.

On 4/1/2020 at 10:34 AM, Branda Lus said:

Pretty old post. But I met the same problem recently. So I am here to show how I solved this issue. 

The device I am using is a old Macbook. I got this DVD ripper fo Mac which accepts DVD discs, ISO image and the DVD folder (VIDEO_TS). It has an inbuit DVD decoder which is able to bypass the encryptions.

whats ur fav dead vk bandoman branda