Aferni

MEJIBRAY - サバト (Sabbath)

18485-andltahrefhttpwwwjpo-gfo6.jpg

DISCLAIMER: I USE ALOT OF "FRENCH" SO YEA.

2 out of 10

Just, Mmkay.....Mmmkay.

Mejibray has succeeded in gathering a large amount of fandom because of their erm...."unique" sound. not saying there's anything wrong with that but there are thing's they SHOULDN'T do.

Let's start with the SE, ACKERCOCK.

Already by the title you can guess here are alot of things wrong with the track but whatever, time to give it a listen. Listening to the first couple second's i'm like, "hey alright this is gonna be pretty cool...then came the Dir En Grey Influenced screams, and then came the chug a lug fest. Like all i was greeted by was a clusterfuck of constipated horse noises. "AHDDAUHKSDFTYFXGVAGZCTYAX" is all i could comprehend until I read the booklet. SURPRISE  , that's right this has lyrics though they may be few...they're still lyrics. "Hey! Mr.XXXXXX Head,Hey you! die right now." It's a shame i couldn't piece it out because of Tsuzuku's derpish vocal's.

Onto another track, Divergence

To be completely honest, I love this track. Everything blends together perfectly, everything is CHUG GA LUGA LUGA LUGGER PENTAGRAM MR XXXXXX WAHHHHHH DER EN GREY SCREEEEM. No, it's actually what i would call a "Good" Mejibray track. The guitar solo was alright, my favorite aspect is the refrain and the chorus. I just love it when Tsuzuku say's "DIVERGENCE". It's the sound of what he should be doing more with his voice. If that makes sense....

Finally サバト or Sabbath or Sabato (what ever the fuck you want to call it Idk.)

I in general dont like this track, (Not because of religion) but because this track is poorly made, like chug a lug central. Dont get me wrong I love some good growling but not this shit, the screaming sounds like its recorded with a fuckin toaster. Yes. A toaster, its like a whimpering puppy and a banshee making sounds in unison. Imagine the ear molestation. I like just have nothing more to say, I just...ew. Go home Tsuzuku.

Made a lot if good points (talking about Sabato specifically) I think that for a straightforward, heavy single, they should aim somewhere between Killing Me and A Priori. I don't dislike Sabato really but it and Sadisgate always seemed very flat to me.

I listened to this single once about a year ago, and the only thing I remember was how bland it was. Not that it's anything to be surprised about. After all, we are talking about MEJIBRAY.

When writing my diatribe for Theatrical Blue Black, this was the single that I had in the back of my mind. They have many similarities, but the biggest one is that there seem to be so many fans of this band that name drop this single as if there is anything of importance on it. Usually, it's combined with phrases like "so great", "really solid single", and "(insert track here) is so good!". If you're going to go through the trouble of name dropping bands like it solidifies your music taste, be artsy and mention Merzbow. At least that way you'll give me a laugh.

In case you were wondering, no this single is not all that great. There's two forgettable tracks and one better left unheard, and a year later I can actually say Sabato and Divergence are forgettable because I don't remember them at all. I'm sure they're average tracks that don't appeal to me. If I listened to it and didn't go on a rampage back then, it's because I thought it was material not worth expending words/energy over and music that I could say I'd never listen to again. I'm really good at predicting releases that have that effect on me - I still haven't returned to GazettE's BEAUTIFUL DEFORMITY after my first listen, but I wouldn't say it's bad. I did give it a 3/5.

Akercock I do remember, and for bad reasons only. Akercock is a shit stain on MEJIBRAY's otherwise mottled reputation and is the worst song they've ever recorded and then had the audacity to ask for money for. Donald Duck harsh vocals and one-dimensional chugging does not make for a heavy, aggressive song. It's embarrassing in every sense of the word and I would go as far as to say that if you're the kind of person who genuinely enjoyed this track, I'm judging you. Hard.

I came here not to give a proper review, but merely to reflect on how much MEJIBRAY hasn't changed between Sabato and TBB.

just to have some positivity in here too... XD

Prolly one of the best (or better) MEJIbro singles out there. The title track is pretty much a quintessence of what they're about in top form: driving rhythmic guitars coupled with Tsuzuku's catchy melodic chorus, and of course his screams (the guitar solo is pretty ace too). Akercock raised my eyebrow at first because of those, uhm, vocals but ultimately it's a pretty fun heavy track, in the vein of Apocalypse. The closing song Divergence is the icing on the cake, and is one of my top favorite MEJI' tunes, it just works so well and has so much power. They really caught some cool melodies and emotional atmosphere with that one (without being sappy). Ace stuff.

:4.5: | wish they'd replicate some of the awesomeness here onto their upcoming album~ (even tho I know their style has changed over these 2.5 years)