ghost

Jrock releases (Differences between different editions)

As a collector of Jrock CDS, I like to know what I'm buying. I want to know the differences between first and second press, limited edition vs regular edition, digipack or jewel case, Euro release vs Japan release vs US release, etc. Sometimes it's easy to find this information and sometimes it's next near to impossible (especially for earlier releases).

I feel like this would be a difficult idea to implement (and I'm not even sure how many people are even interested in this kind of information) but what do people think about creating some kind of list that has all the release differences for a bands discography?

I'm not sure how feasible this is considering there are so many bands and we may not even be able to find all this information.

It sounds like a good idea when I think about it but I feel like once it gets started it's going to be a lot more complicated than planned.

Still, on the chance people are on board I had a couple ideas to start.

-List information such as (title, release date, catalog number, pressing, edition, bonuses (i.e. extra tracks, special booklet, slipcase, etc))

-Link to a photo(s) if possible (Most likely from personal collection)

-Have the thread (or whatever it will be) accessible to all members for edits to add more bands, releases and info.

Heck, maybe we can just create an individual thread per band under the artists section or something. 

Like I said, this seems like too much information to handle and/or more work than it's worth, but I thought I'd see what people thought of the idea.

I'm not sure how well a project like this would turn out, but I think the best way to implement this without a ton of clutter would probably be a publicly or semi-publicly(list of approved editors) spreadsheet on Google Docs.

Thinking about it again though it seems like too big a project.

I mean, to follow all the bands, find all the info, etc. etc. etc.

It's too much.

I think it'd be better to just open a thread where people can ask questions regarding a certain release and if anyone knows they can answer. That way it won't be such a big thing and questions people actually want answered get answered.

At least, that's the most efficient way I can think about going.

Thanks Biopanda!

Colabpanda.

The special bonuses are a pain in the ass. Even if the release itself came only in two types, the special bonuses differ from store to store and there might be even up to 10 different special bonuses in different stores.

And on a side note, isn't DS basically supposed to be ~*the place*~ for getting this kind of information?

I think by "bonus" nagaram meant what's different across "editions" of the same release (e.g. Limited Edition A = live footage; Limited Edition B = PV; Regular Edition = bonus track). I might be wrong, but I don't think he meant bonus as in 特典 because that's frankly impossible to keep track off lol (even photosets/comment dvds vary across every shop, and a single shop can change from bonus A to bonus B when A runs out, e.g. autographed photos).

its almost impossible to know.

sometimes you know shop A has bonus B. but then you still don't know what is on bonus B disk. 

It's really difficult to know or to find out.

Its only possible if you find a Japanese fan who really buys everything. which is almost impossible or almost impossible to keep.

Oh laawd no that's wayyy too much information to track down hah.

Like Hiroki said, just stuff that follows along with the actual release.

For something like first press posters I would probably just say something like "poster *design varies by store*"

But this is way too much to handle so I think the question thread would be much more efficient.

Btw, what's DS?

Ah, but its still hella much work.

Since then you need to create a big database with all bands...

And yes they working on it. By creating one at "DS" which will be the biggest website to find all information by every band.

Nowdays at band websites and blogs there are all versions written on. If not, ask fans.

True

Is it anything like jame-world? Because in that case only some information is helpful. I know it's really hard to track all this information though so I give them credit.

I guess in my case I'm really only curious about a few releases anyways.

I do think in theory this is a cool idea if people are dedicated, although it's going to take an incredible amount of time and effort to even preserve information about 5-10% of *everything* that has been released.

The longer you go back in time, chances of recovering such information diminishes exponentially. Sure there are people who collect the older stuff etc., but information like where/when/how, etc. are usually already lost.

Another thing: tracking down catalog numbers and tracklists for releases of bands like DEG and the GazettE is of course effortless. The challenge comes when we get to the really obscure bands that play at lives where 5 people attend and only sell stuff through mail order XD And then we have those "buy 2 T-shirts at our lives and we give you our newest single as a 'bonus'" kind of bands (say hi to nano mother Ted).

But yeah, if one day someone is insane enough to kickstart such a project, I'd be interested to help (if time permits) ;)

A google document would probably work, if it had like a maximum of 10 editors. I'll be more than happy to participate this project, if someone decided to start it. 

I have a question tho:

W H Y there are some fucking different bonus between the stores ?? Just why ? Who's deciding this shit ? Are we supposed to buy our stuff a dozen times ? they need to stop this crap srsly. But it's Japan so... it's not for tomorrow then.