Tetora

Details and Logistics of Your Music Library / Collection.

Hey guys,

I was wondering how you store all your stuff, what kind of stuff have you amassed, what you do with it, and how you feel about it.

Categories:

Physical Music (CD`s, Tapes, Records)

Physical Videos (Blu-ray, DVD, VHS)

Digital Music (iTunes, Google, rekochoku, downloads, etc...)

Physical Goods (Clothing, Obi, Posters, Cheki, Bonuses like photo`s, etc...)

Other Stuff You Collect

Summary

-----

Me:

Almost all my stuff is cd`s, I keep some on shelves, many in boxes, and have some in the living room if they are often played. I don`t like keeping much stuff in my room, so it is almost all in one of my spare bed-rooms. Ultimately I would like to have it all on nice shelves which actually suit the size of cd`s (CD racks are too small, would have to have tons, and regular shelves like I have are too big in terms of extra space above the cd`s.

Don`t collect many videos as I never watch them, only have an assortment of some of my favorite concerts or PV collections, keep them on a shelf if I really like them, otherwise in boxes.

This is what bugs me the most, as I never use iTunes but have some music from there, and since my music library isn`t in iTunes, it doesn`t really feel like I have the music? Also, my digital files and rips are all stored on an external drive, feels unsafe and unofficial. Otherwise I keep the music I listen to on my phone (40 gigs, I want to get a new phone with at least 128gig storage, but my phone is still working).

I don`t have clothing as it is always too small, Obi I keep in shoe boxes, I don`t know why I can`t throw them out, but I will literally never use them for anything or even look at them...

The closet in my guest bed-room is full of rolled up Posters, I have tons, but again, never put them up...

Cheki I only have a couple, I like them a lot, for sentimental value, keep them in a special shoe box, with bonuses from orders or in-store events.

My favorite things are probably the Cheki from live-events, any signed stuff, and the towel I have from UNiTE / DOG.

Other Stuff You Collect

I have movies, DVD and Blu-ray, and a lot of games for different systems, about 100 are on a shelf, but the others get the box treatment as well. Have some books on a shelf, all the others and all my old manga are at another place.

Summary:

So yeah, in summary, the way I store my stuff is pretty terrible, I throw it all in a room, and I am uncomfortable with all my digital stuff`s existence. I am thinking that in my next house I will make a media room, with nice shelves, posters up, and everything organized nicely. That is in the future though, so for now everything looks like a crazy old man`s hoard of junk... My second place (apartment) has a bunch of boxes in the walk-in closet, I would like to combine the two collections in the future as well. But at the same time, I always contemplate what the point of a collection is.

Short answer: my VK collection was organized by a tornado.

Long answer:

I don't have nearly the amount of storage space as I need, so things are sort of scattered about. About half of my CDs are on a bookshelf sorted in no particular order at all. With my cassettes, most of them are in cassette racks like this of which I have three(though I think I'll need to get something like this soon lol). The other half of my CDs are stored in giant cardboard boxes out in my living room, which are mostly things that aren't listed on my store yet so I don't need immediate access to them.
My DVDs are on the same bookshelf as my CDs while my VHS tapes get their own really big bookshelf(200+ VHS tapes take up a LOT of space!).
I keep telling myself that some day I'll get this stuff all sorted out, but that day hasn't come yet despite various attempts over the years. As of now, everything is split between 4 folders: Music(folders for each artist, mostly stuff that I acquired before 2009. Everything here is tagged and renamed correctly), New To Sort(anything acquired 2009 and after that hasn't been tagged and sorted into the Music folder), EAC Rips(mostly where I store personal FLAC rips so that I can easily make samples for the store), Cassette Rips(same as EAC Rips, but for tapes :P)
A dresser in my closet for anything that isn't being used. For the stuff that's really dear to me, it's hung up on my walls. That is stuff like posters that I've had personally signed by bands and then gotten professionally framed, some band towels and a GIANT A flag that I got from their Elementa Alchemica live.
Other Stuff You Collect
VK is pretty much all I have the money to actively collect, so anything else(video games etc.) are mostly in a big dresser in the living room.
Summary
Terrible.

I honestly spend more time pondering how to best organize my collection than on my exams orz. What's worse is that I'm *extremely* OCD about keeping stuff as organized as possible so I go to get lengths to ensure my collection is as "perfect" as possible: not only discography-wise, but also pointless things like making sure all CDs come with obi, replace scratched jewel cases, standardize the CD plastic wrap, etc.

Save for a very small number of 8cm records (maybe 3-4) and releases in long cases (e.g. PLUNKLOCK and Fi'Ance.) my entire collection is almost fully 12cm CD releases. Beside my working space I have an IKEA CD rack with just the right amount of space between partitions to hold CDs without wasting too much space. Unfortunately it can only hold 500 CDs. Once I filled the rack entirely I started to stuff CDs in the 3 mega book shelves behind me which, needless to say, ran out of space in no time (partly cuz there was only ~20% space left in the first place). More recently I've begun to pile CDs in an unused closet above my wardrobe - this was meant to be temporary solution, although I realized subsequently that it was a good place to hide at least a part of collection so my parents don't notice the insane number of stuff I own and murder me XD In my storeroom there are another 4 or 5 boxes of older releases brought over from my old house that I still haven't had the time to sort out after several years.

I don't have these. Thankfully.

I don't buy digital music from iTunes, but I have ripped part of my collection into digital form. I also have a FLAC archive slightly in excess of 3TB that I spread over 4 externals HDD and hardly touch. My everyday music library is under 1TB so that fits nicely into the main HDD on my PC. For now I don't have much issues with space for my digital collection. For now.

Oh god, where do I start. I have all my CDs wrapped, so obis naturally go along with the CDs rather than being kept separately. I have an unwieldy number of signed posters, some of which laminated. The ones that mean the most to me go up on the wall, but there's only enough wall space in my room to put up about 4-5 at any one time. I have a limited number of chekis, which will eventually go into a folder that I've bought. Photosets are one of my biggest problems. Over the years I've amassed hundreds of sets, which I keep sealed separately with a tiny sticker on each wrap indicating the group/release/number of photos. Autographed photosets are packaged separately to prevent smudging of ink. Postcards go into another box. Ditto trading cards. And then there's a box with the rest of the miscellaneous stuff like badges, stickers, etc. that either came with CDs I bought or somehow found their way into my collection mysteriously (yeah right ._.)

Other Stuff You Collect

Nothing much really. Even if I had wanted to I seriously doubt I have the money, time, or energy.

Summary

Terrible [2]

The amount of physical goods I have bought isn't large enough to warrant a proper look-through. Most of my music and movies/videos are digitized. Rip and store is the procedure, I get any other media digitally.

I currently have roughly 150 hip-hop CDs. The older ones are stashed in my parents place and I keep the newer ones at my current place. I haven't bought much since, around 10 ish since I left the scene. I have roughly 50 japanese CDs. Which I keep in a shelf at my current place.

I found it easier to DL older music so I am now able to amass a much more sizeable collection of hip-hop music especially those that are out-of-print and are from the 80's and 90's all in FLAC. I have roughly 120 GBs of mostly east coast artist, I haven't delved deeply into west coast or southern regions yet. All other genres is around 60 GBs, mostly mp3s though. WAV files are stored in another harddrive.

All my files are sorted by straightforward genres, stored in folders. iTunes tends to fuck this right up since users can't make their own folders. I can't use iTunes other than syncing my iPod. It can't read flac so I have to convert all my music to mp3s and I don't buy lossy music either so...

I have yet to convert to Blu-Ray, still unsure if I ever will. Anyway, most of my DVDs is stashed in my parents place as well except the newer ones.

Asian clothing tends to be like 2 sizes smaller than their NA counterpart, I gave up when half of my order from yesstyle didn't fit :( .... I am Asian OTL

I throw away obi, I don't understand the point of keeping em. Like after I tear up the plastic, nothing keeps it stuck on the CDs. So it will probably just be a pain whenever I have to shuffle my CDs around.

My posters stay in their container until I am for sure I will have them up for a long time. I currently have 5 posters just rolled up, still unopened.

No clue how to store Chekis or Photos, I just stick em to the CDs somehow. Although, I saw a nifty idea of having a glass table on top a regular table. You make a collage of your collected photos in between it, will probably do it if I collect enough photos or chekis.

Other Stuff You Collect

I keep shoeboxes to store my CD/DVD when I was younger. It has now been upgraded to bulk-ramen boxes lol. I still find ways to keep sizeable boxes for the simple reason you can store so much stuff in em. I guess this is a result of not having a proper shelf growing up. They are excellent for textbooks and novels.

Summary

I hate summaries -.- I am more of a strong intro and body section type of a writer.

Interesting thread! Not sure how interesting my contribution will be, but it's fun nonetheless :P

I think that at the moment I own around 50-60 physical CDs. I'm not really into old VK a lot, so I don't own any tapes, nor did I have any tapes when I was younger (besides, at the time when I first started buying CDs the transition from tape to CD was already fully complete). I don't have a lot of space to put them, so I keep my favourites on the shelf and the others are put into boxes.

I don't have a lot of music DVDs, to be quite honest. I find them very expensive, especially the visual kei ones. I was planning on buying some non-VK ones, considering they're priced cheaper, but I don't think I'll make a switch to Blu-Ray. My gaming console can actually play Blu-Rays, but they're a lot more expensive. So yeah, as long as DVD works fine, I'll go with that.

I have a folder with all my music strictly organized. All folders are divided by artist, album/single, language, etc. If I don't, I'll go nuts, LOL. I think my current digital music folder is about 90GB. It used to be around 150GB, but I had a big clean up last week so that explains it >___> I don't really buy digitally, especially not from iTunes. iTunes has a tendency to butcher quality of some releases, so if I buy a CD I always try to get the physical version so I can decide what bitrate I want it in.

I don't have a lot of clothing from bands, tbqh. I used to buy shirts for every concert I went to, but somewhere along the line I stopped doing that unless the t-shirt design was really cool. I keep the obis I get with my CDs, though I don't know why. I figure that if I'm ever going to sell them, people might appreciate it that the obi is included? I don't really know, haha. I have a few posters too, but most of them are Kpop posters (because it's hard to get posters from my favourite Japanese artists). I don't care about cheki and I probably never will. I think that they're overpriced and a cheap manner to get extra cash out of young fans. I once got a picture of D with one of my orders that was hand signed by all the members, which was kind of cool I guess. I have no idea where it is now though LOL.

Other Stuff You Collect

Other than music and some posters I don't really collect anything else. Currently I spend more money on video games than on music, though that mostly has to do with the custom policy of my country so I don't get robbed every time I order something from Japan lmao.

Summary

Don't be lazy.

For me it's to difficult to explain without photos so here ya go

Other Stuff You Collect

:3 see it yourself, you can see perfectly how my logistics are :3

th_DSC_2092.jpg th_DSC_2094.jpg th_DSC_2095.jpg th_DSC_2092.jpg th_DSC_2096.jpg th_DSC_2097.jpg th_DSC_2098.jpg

Also simply 2 rows

Manga and DVD's (not music DVD, but movie)

th_DSC_2089.jpg

itunes download -> in itunes download folder
Other downloads -> in Legal purchased folder
Also a back up on a CD | however they are timeless available at the download websites

Obi simply inside the CD.

Clothing in my closet with clothes on a bandshirt staple :P

Photos & Cheki in a big photobook
Posters I found a nice way to put them away, which I don't use

th_DSC_2099.jpg

But not everything is stored inside my room; aka Manga and movie DVD.

They are in 2 other closets.

in one closet, stuff packed in 2 plastic boxes (only manga), and other things in just paper boxes. Also in that closet are 2 other closets which more manga and DVD and few other things are stored.
And then there is one more closet where I keep another staple of manga.

Summary
Best way the keep your room nicely. I like to keep my room well desinged. :P

⇒Physical Music (CD`s, Tapes, Records)

I have my music collection separated. Half of it is in America in boxes. The other half is sitting on a little bookshelf. I have bands that are broken up or that I am less likely to update their collection at the back and then bands I update more frequently stacked at the front (by order of release). 

⇒Physical Videos (Blu-ray, DVD, VHS)

They're on the shelf under the CD shelf. I don't really bother so much with DVDs.

⇒Digital Music (iTunes, Google, rekochoku, downloads, etc...)

I don't really download or buy off of iTunes. Everything's in my music folder. Slightly more organized than that sounds.

⇒Physical Goods (Clothing, Obi, Posters, Cheki, Bonuses like photo`s, etc...)

I have a cloth box that I dump my towels in. I often forget to return them to the box. Cheki is in cheki files (either ones designed for the band or just your average 100yen shop trading card cases). I stopped buying goods besides towels and cheki but the ones that I do have are either on the shelves or in a bag in my closet. Tour pamphlets are in the bag in my closet.

⇒Other Stuff You Collect

Crap I catch at lives. Picks go in with the cheki, specifically with the cheki of the member whose pick it belongs to. Unless I don't have any for that band (hoshi no house, grieva, lost ash...) then it's just stuffed in the pocket in one of my random cheki files with the other picks. Drum sticks have a post it on them so I know whose it was and is put in that bag I mentioned. Other crap is just dumped in with them. I'll probably remember what band it was from.... probably.

Magazines etc are possibly in that bag too or sitting on my floor if I am contemplating throwing them out.. I haven't looked at it in a while.

Flyers are in a accordion file thing if I plan on keeping them, in a little HEARTS. bag if I consider them trashable but... haven't thrown them away yet.

⇒Summary

I should probably throw away/sell half the crap I have. 

Oh my god, I try to be organized but fail.

Regular CDs are in boxes somewhere, all of my jrock CDs and DVDs are all together in this shitty little cube thing.  I don't collect records, don't have space:

IMG_20141005_145922.jpg

Jrock DVDs and my one blu-ray are all with the CDs.  I have a few Dir en Grey VHS in a box somewhere, have no desire to collect any more!

I don't buy digital, but all the stuff I download here just goes into my itunes folder.

I have a few shirts somewhere. Obi always stays inside the CD case.  Magazines are with the CDs.  Cheki's and photo sets are in a drawer.  Posters are all over my room:

IMG_20141005_150004.jpg

IMG_20141005_150013.jpg

Other Stuff You Collect

I am a hardcore gamer, so I have over 50 consoles and 1,000+ games.  I had to buy a software to keep track of them so I don't buy seconds lol.  A lot are in boxed up, but my favorites are out on these shelves:

IMG_20141005_150059.jpg

IMG_20141005_150359_edit.jpg

Bottom shelves got cut off, which have way to many games on them lol.

Summary

I need a bigger house.