ghost

Sadie - Gangsta

Wow i thought im gonna be the bad guy here with one of the lowest possible scores here and some ppl will want to burn me alive , but relentless you beat me here , giving a 0 woah , that was harsh , but on the other hand deserved score . I was really thinking of giving them a 1 or even a 0 but my rather hardheaded character that overuses genres cause its the only thing im good at makes me a lot of enemies also on this forums , thats why i gave them a 2 . Well your review kinda has the same 5 points that where buging me with this release .

Well at least one thing seems to be clear here , this is one of the worst IF not the worst album this year , and even probably in last 5 years .

while everyone is entitled to their opinion, and while the album may not be a grand ol stroll in the park, I think people are being a little immature and taking the bashing way out of hand. I'm not a Sadie fan, and I haven't listened to it yet, but I do respect that they have a following and that some people find it good music. By all means, give it a negative review, but anything beyond tasteful and professional word play just makes you look like an elitist douche who thinks your musical taste is superior to anyone who may like this album. 

This may be a bad example, but telling someone hey you're a little over weight, try some healthier options is a lot more respectable than saying, JESUS YOU FAT FUCK JUST KILL YOURSELF YOU WASTE OF SPACE. which is what I'm comparing all this bashing to. 

On top of that, a group effort to bash on a release does not make this forum look appealing for new potential members that may have great things and activity to contribute. 

So I guess all I have to say is, let's not waste so much energy hating on something you clearly dislike. You dislike it, great share that opinion and move on to something more enjoyable.

EDIT: this is not directed to any one person in particular, and those of you just speaking your mind, by all means keep up the good work. But if giving this album a bad review is the highlight of your week... I'm really sorry that you have nothing better to do. :'[

Okay since this entire thing just threatens to go haywire at some point I will from now on hide all posts that aren't at least somewhat decent reviews of the album. And with decent I mean, a review that I can see was put at least a little bit of effort into. If you want to talk shit about Sadie in general (or just because you have nothing better to do fuck if I know) do it in their respective artist thread and not in here. Okay? 'Kay. This thread is for reviews only and tbqh I've seen far too many posts already that don't fit the criteria for a review thread. Also if you're gonna call people out on their circle jerking, fine with me, but also this thread isn't the place for it if you don't include a review of the album itself. Sai out.

This album was well planned out. Kudos to Sadie.

1. Mode of Gangsta was badass. Sounded Gangster themed to me.

2. Dead End was Great. I like the incorporation of the Walkie-Talkie? sound that a lot of older J-rock groups had way back. 

The Megaman reference made me lol. What in the fuck are you talking about?

3. Welcome to the underground was very old sounding (not old Sadie). I'm talking more like an old musical with gangsters in New York running amuck. Like     Scat music. Bass felt on pace with the guitars and Mao's singing has improved. 

4. Shoot the Targets, Hidden in your Mind - This is where they attempted the rapping. Albeit, not the best, it wasn't terrible. Everyone else is doing it, right?

5. Gesshoku had a very nice Sadie feel, true sounding to the band. Mao's singing again, vast improvement from the last album.

6. Tokyo Gypsy had this sound that I can't describe, like the bass from the Munsters song (yeah I watched that) and the guitar sound from that song from the first Scooby Doo movie (y'know, with the zombies). Anyway, the song suits the title.

7. Rize a Flag sounded like the average Sadie track so I can't really complain here. Right rock pace along with Mao's growls? make for a good combo definitely.

8. Howling was very pop-ish haha. Like nyappy (Antic Cafe)(Or is it An Cafe now? Idgaf). I can see a dance version in the works lol.

9. Hate Me or Love Me just makes me hate them. (Irony?) Makes you wonder why they continue to do english singing.

10. Bleach - I didn't know Tsurugi was in the band until now.He has an awesome guitar play from begining to end. Best thing of the entire song. Aside from the quirkyness this song has.

11. The Never - Like the average Sadie track, it has a good intro, Mao's growls? and singing, followed by the climax. 

12. Message from Here - Like every Sadie album before it, there is always that one song that is so calm and not like all the rest. Listening to this and all the other tracks like it make you wonder if the whole group could successfully move to a calmer sound/genre. 

13. Phrase of Life - I think this is honestly the BEST way to end any rock album. Instrumentals man.

Judging by the previous reviews, it sounds like a lot of you wanted "bang bang", and were less than satisfied when you got "pew pew." When for the most part, you wouldn't know what a "bang" sounds like.

I'm tired now so I'll stop. Oh and I'm not rating shit since I already said it was good.

I'm done being a dick for now. 

Judging by the previous reviews, it sounds like a lot of you wanted "bang bang", and were less than satisfied when you got "pew pew." When for the most part, you wouldn't know what a "bang" sounds like.

Oh really? Do tell.

I'm also curious about this "bang bang" and "pew pew" analogy.

I think they meant that people waited for something 'epic' (=bang bang) but got something really lame (=pew pew)?

Certain users (whose names I won't need to mention) went out of their way to give ratings that correspond respective reviews ("0/10", really? Tell me more!).

That being said, some points:

• Dead End, Gesshoku and Bleach are those good ol' Sadie bangers* in every post-Undead-Sadie record ever. People who feel really bad about mentioned numbers should get their game together once more, since they don't differ much from e.g.  singles in COLD BLOOD (that some of "certain users" seemed to enjoy, FYI). I cannot do much to advise omnipresent DEG fanboys to refrain from praising their idols in respective "worshiping acts'" threads though. *shrug*

• Tokyo Gypsy - upbeat out-of-place-ness here! Did they strike a deal with boys from Naitomea? J/k, j/k. The content does overshoot in its silly factor as some pointed it out, albeit sporting several elements worth admiring ("Scooby Doo-an" guitar licks,bassline). We might discuss the same about numbers like Howling or Shoot the Targets...: just how many songs are in these mashups? Not to mention those freaky ol' Yamaha synths in the BG.

• Props to the bassist and those who mastered the release for emphasizing bass licks in fitting parts. Let's not forget Mao for being as good as he usually was in clean vocals-section either - especially during semi-oomph-lacking end-of-the-record ballads.

My thoughts in overall:

First of all: pardon for my off-topic-ish, brief intervention.

Yes, COLD BLOOD was their last release with majority of decent tunes. But seeing as "critics" are quite eager to give harsher ratings w/o constructive reviewing, newcomers' expectations always get overshadowed by overdramatized views of sophomores/some veterans (as I already questioned in my first sentence). Aren't we, as "listeners with experience", supposed to be the circle of adequate, open-minded critics rather than the gang of circlejerking, badmouthing elitists? Don't lower the bar below sites like Sputnikmusic and such ffs!

Sadie are clearly trying to find their comfort zone once again after giving up on resorting to heavy influences. Major inconsistency of GANGSTA is clearly an outcome of such experimenting, which is why I am being quite sympathetic towards Mao and co. here.  Perhaps the erratic hit-or-miss factors are a part of their charm? The Black Diamonds and Madrigal de Maria (previous releases) might prove it out.

Pros:

- Decent bangers*

- Certain instrumental highlights (e.g. bass)

- Mao is quite okay this time

Cons:

- Inconsistency

- "A few" mashups

- The second half needs more oomph

6/10 - don't expect "big bangs" from this band.

Aren't we, as "listeners with experience", supposed to be the circle of adequate, open-minded critics rather than the gang of circlejerking, badmouthing elitists?

Where has has this occurred?

I think they meant that people waited for something 'epic' (=bang bang) but got something really lame (=pew pew)?

Nailed it. 

Sad thing is that at this point expecting 'bang bang' from SADIE is a tad bit unreasonable. I think the 'harsh' reviews are a reflection of frustration because that expectation wasn't met. SADIE can do it, they just aren't. 

Nailed it. 

Sad thing is that at this point expecting 'bang bang' from SADIE is a tad bit unreasonable. I think the 'harsh' reviews are a reflection of frustration because that expectation wasn't met. SADIE can do it, they just aren't.

People were expecting something from Sadie? When and where? Everything I read leading up to GANGSTA was about how silly the name was and how bad the album was going to be. People were calling their reactions before the album was even released, and the reviews are a reflection of that belief. Is it right that people judged the book by it's cover? No. But it's not as if GANGSTA is helping the situation any when even the people that are defending the album won't go higher than 5/10 or 6/10.

I actually like Sadie and listen to a lot of material between Crimson Tear to Master of Romance often. I didn't want to give GANGSTA a bad review because hating Sadie gets me likes and makes my readers laugh. I wanted to be the one to go out on a limb and say Hey, this album is actually really good! But it's not.

I can understand people all getting sentimental and generous over 12012's (most possibly final) mini that should have been a 3 track single, but what's the point defending this lazy written POS album??

Sadie are clearly trying to find their comfort zone once again after giving up on resorting to heavy influences.

they'll be back to hurrrrrdcore once arche preorders depart firewall div. storage facilities.

This album was well planned out. Kudos to Sadie.

1. Mode of Gangsta was badass. Sounded Gangster themed to me.

2. Dead End was Great. I like the incorporation of the Walkie-Talkie? sound that a lot of older J-rock groups had way back. 

The Megaman reference made me lol. What in the fuck are you talking about?

3. Welcome to the underground was very old sounding (not old Sadie). I'm talking more like an old musical with gangsters in New York running amuck. Like     Scat music. Bass felt on pace with the guitars and Mao's singing has improved. 

4. Shoot the Targets, Hidden in your Mind - This is where they attempted the rapping. Albeit, not the best, it wasn't terrible. Everyone else is doing it, right?

5. Gesshoku had a very nice Sadie feel, true sounding to the band. Mao's singing again, vast improvement from the last album.

6. Tokyo Gypsy had this sound that I can't describe, like the bass from the Munsters song (yeah I watched that) and the guitar sound from that song from the first Scooby Doo movie (y'know, with the zombies). Anyway, the song suits the title.

7. Rize a Flag sounded like the average Sadie track so I can't really complain here. Right rock pace along with Mao's growls? make for a good combo definitely.

8. Howling was very pop-ish haha. Like nyappy (Antic Cafe)(Or is it An Cafe now? Idgaf). I can see a dance version in the works lol.

9. Hate Me or Love Me just makes me hate them. (Irony?) Makes you wonder why they continue to do english singing.

10. Bleach - I didn't know Tsurugi was in the band until now.He has an awesome guitar play from begining to end. Best thing of the entire song. Aside from the quirkyness this song has.

11. The Never - Like the average Sadie track, it has a good intro, Mao's growls? and singing, followed by the climax. 

12. Message from Here - Like every Sadie album before it, there is always that one song that is so calm and not like all the rest. Listening to this and all the other tracks like it make you wonder if the whole group could successfully move to a calmer sound/genre. 

13. Phrase of Life - I think this is honestly the BEST way to end any rock album. Instrumentals man.

I'm tired now so I'll stop. Oh and I'm not rating shit since I already said it was good.

I'm done being a dick for now. 

I+feel+the+shame+coursing+through+me+_3e

I liked the album, I wont listen to it as often as allot of other albums that came out this year but it wasn't awful, people will put down Sadie before they even release anything and if that's what we are going to do to them as the listeners then what motivation would they even have to make some new and crazy creative if everyone is going to say horribly mean thing's about something before they even give it a chance. If the album is so bad you can't listen to it more than once you probably shouldn't review it, your job as the reviewer is to give it multiple listen's and tell us the readers the pro's and con's of the album and as someone who also listened to the album it is not so bad that it's a 0 out of 10! Every album has good and bad but if you aren't willing to find the pro's maybe you shouldn't review!  

Sadie may have made some bad album's and sound a like album's but by no means are they a terrible band! They put time and effort into making a new album for us and people are saying how terrible it's going to be before it even came out, give it a decent review and stop being so quick to call everything they do terrible, why should they even make us music if we are this mean to them? Also about the name of the album, Gangsta is obviously a strange title name for an album but they were having fun with it, would you rather it be simple and just named one of the songs? They could have just titled it Gesshoku or Howling or some other track off the album but instead they had some fun with it, that should not detract from the album just because you don't like the title! The album isn't the best but it's not terrible!! Give it a shot listen to it at least five time's before reviewing it! Know the in's and out's of the album! Well I'm done with my rant! I like the album!!!!!!!!!

Nocturnal Bloodlust was shook.

the way every thing is put together is different and the tuneing  Yikes #AlternativeFacts bellow. and outside of VK slams dont sound like that and pack punch.

Edited by blackdoll

Had entirely forgotten about this album. I think we should occasionally pay dividends to the fact that we had an album called Gangsta by the longest running, consistently unimpressive and mediocre bands in the game. That song above is just exactly the way you'd imagine an album like this from a band like this would sound in 2014. Amazing

On 10/1/2014 at 4:31 AM, Bear said:

Someone said that this sounds like the soundtrack to a Megaman game. Can you confirm this? Because that sounds fantastic.

Nope >.< too repetitive to give it even that. It does have a quality of it tho not really in acuallity

Side note this album my god idk why i couldn't sit through it. It was annoying thats all i remember. The Gangsta song was ok other then that  the album art is beautiful Besides that meh...