Sign in to follow this  
kurenaishineek

Glory Hill - Good Loser

As someone mentioned that i should write some more reviews im making this happen right here and right now .

21581182b5eb5273d104c912eb551b06.jpg

Glory Hill is 4 piece Pop Punk band from Okazaki City in Aichi Prefecture . They are around from 2005 and as of today they released 7 singles , 2 mini albums and 4 albums as Indie Band and 2 singles and 1 album as Major Band . And that 1 album is the one im gonna review here . Released on 14th may this year , their first and debut album as Major Band called "Good Loser" .

Seriously i dont know where to start this review . The band did not change much from the Indie era , altough i have to say most songs have a little better compositions , they still the good old happy go lucky Pop Punk band but with a little bit of Melodic Hardcore touch here and there . The album opens up with "Now or Never!!" a freaking good song , fast , melodic , punkish , hell yeah very upbeat song , really good if you need some postivie energy , the song is the essence of this , not to mention this solo , ive heard a lot bands playing Pop Punk from Japan recently , but i did not heard a solo that would hit me that good . The next two songs , "Take my Word" and "Asterisk" , are very typical for this genre , melodic , happy sounding less aggressive than the opener , but still managing to deliver what this kind of music should deliver , a good positive vibe . Its worth to mention that "Asterisk" has parts sung in japanese , cause mostly they use the typical engrish thats well known by all listeners of japanese music , not to mention that this song reminds me of Flow . The 4th song called "Shut up and Dance" opens up with Disco beat than jumping into punkish riffs yet with some of the danceish vibe still staying in the song , the further in the album the more this starts sounding more like an american Pop Punk band .

I could go around writing about all the songs in this manner but it would take some time and im starting to get sleepy , also for this kind of album writing about each song is kinda ... hard , its not like are songs are repeatable , cause altough ive had this feeling on their earlier albums i did not have this here . But this genre is the essence of easy non technical music , easy for the ears , open for a big audience , as said earlier very melodic and upbeat , a truly mainstream rock band , and altough some ppl might have issues with the engrish lyrics , they still are worth at least a try and i promise you that this will be one of the best bands in this genre you will listen to .

Summarizing this up , if you like this kind of happy upbeat music and dont mind engrish then its your thing , ive seriously had a lot of fun listening to this album , lots of good vibes , melodies and riffs reminding me of Sum 41 and Blink 182 that etched themselves easy in my mind , also the songs are so addictive that i will hum them for some time now . My recommendation .

Score : 8/10 for being one of the best Pop Punk releases this year , and being the best album in their history .(As i am not used to do a 1 star to 5 star rating but from 1 to 10 ill stick to this)

Sign in to follow this