Sign in to follow this  
ghost

SCREW - PSYCHO MONSTERS

:2.5:

Screw manages to roll out another mediocre album.

Where there's potential, they take that and go their usual route, which makes for a less than thrilling ride.

It's only been about a month and CDJapan is already selling it for 10% off. That should tell you what to anticipate.

asd_zpsda207839.jpg

Nearly every song tries to be heavy or hardcore and they all begin to sound the same.

They try to incorporate different elements like jazz and electronic/dub-step, but they aren't very well executed and distract more than add to the experience. 

Burst Forth, for example, is fast and intense mostly throughout but will have these short jazzy moments. But, they're too short and infrequent that it just seems out of place. Calvacade is another example where the electronic breakdowns don't have much to do with the rest of the song and in fact drag it down. These sections don't work because they're too distinct and sudden. I can understand changing the mood of a song but Screw's execution is choppy and awkward.

A quick note on Eternal Flame, I'm all for the use of auto tune but Byo uses it throughout the entire song and it gets old fast. Calvacade also featured some auto tune but it was only used in some parts and much better executed. 

Also, evil passions sounds like the GazettE's my devil on the bed.

The voice department especially falls flat as Byou just can not deliver the right vocals to back up the songs. His vocals don't have any power behind them and he sings some of the most unforgettable melodies. Also, his use of filters to add an harsh edge is as unsuccessful as ever. Not to say he can't sing entirely because sometimes he does sing well.

I've been ripping apart this album head to toe but there are some nice moments.

- mellow is a refreshing upbeat ballad that's a throwback to older Screw and reminds me of tracks like Celestial Bliss and Dearest Wish. Byo does a fine job here too.

- The use of piano in Burst Forth, while very short, is beautiful. They should have pushed the piano instead of the jazzy parts. 

- オブセッション is a pretty neat track that mixes traditional Japanese sounds with a heavy vk style.

- Helter Skelter has a decent chorus and breakdown.

絶望の讃美歌's back up vocals in the chorus slightly remind me of BABY STAR.

Overall, It's a weak album.
There's not much variety and when the variety happens it's usually sloppy and unfitting.

With tracks like mellow, though, a little bit of hope is restored and I'm now in a place

where I look forward to their next release.....But not that much.

Final Opinion

3/10

*edit 5/10

(some of the album really stuck with me even after about a week. I admit the album has more staying power than I initially gave it credit for. I still say.....)

Untitled-1_zpsbf4b65cd.jpg

Sign in to follow this