Sign in to follow this  
Zeus

MEJIBRAY - シアトリカル・ブルーブラック

MEJIBRAY
Artist: MEJIBRAY
Single: シアトリカル・ブルーブラック
Score: :2.0:
Seriously?

I don't often listen to MEJIBRAY, but when I do it's a single because I can't take an entire album of this.

Listening to MEJIBRAY is like playing darts with a very skilled but drunk friend whose precision is impeccable but whose aim is off. Said friend would hit the bullseye more often than not if they took the time to aim before throwing. But in the spirit of keeping the game going as fast as possible, he tosses many darts at the board and hope that enough stick to get him the points he needs to win. The groupies watching who hype his skills overlook this fact. His fans are divided into two groups: one group that sees the potential and the other group which is concerned with the final result. One group hypes his abilities too much and the other underestimates them too much, and that leaves our friend MEJIBRAY in the no-man's land of slightly above average.

This friend knows that he has the talent to play much better - the company of expert-dart throwers he practices with is top-shelf - but he also knows that there is little incentive to play well, so he is satisfied with subpar performance because even if he doesn't win, he still "did well". It works out anyway, right?

No.

THEATRICAL BLUE BLACK is that type of performance that starts shaky and fizzles out before the end. Akin to watching a trainwreck in slo-mo, I can pinpoint the moment when the hype train goes off the side of a cliff. Inconsistency has always been MEJIBRAY's Achille's heel - except it's more like Achille's torso - and the only thing I can say in confidence about them is that they're consistently inconsistent. Even with the gigantic target on their chest that I can't resist taking shots at, MEJIBRAY is here to stay. So while they're still relevant and the Little Hype Train That Could struggles to stay on the track while moving at top speed, let's take a look at why it's good to know when to stop.

If you're interested as to when things get bad, the answer is before it begins. THEATRICAL BLUE BLACK is MEJIBRAY's current offering of a single. I've heard good things from many people about this single but I don't see it. I was expecting to be floored but instead I was bored. "Been here, done that" sums everything up. Yet another song with metalcore verses and a pop hook that by some arcane wizardry fits together better than it usually does, MEJIBRAY has covered no new ground. In my eyes, this is a regression of sorts! They've done better than this before.

Let's start with the tone of the guitars. They may be tuned low, but MiA left all the aggression and heaviness at home. These riffs sound djent-like brittle, neutered at the balls and leave no impact. They seem to be low because they have to maintain their cred as a metal band, but when the chorus is the more convincing musical effort the band isn't maintaining very well. The bass makes up makes up for the lack of low-end punch but it's not enough and often gets overpowered by the guitar. The biggest surprise is Tsuzuku, who has removed a lot of the vocal ticks that made him insufferable to listen to. It's evident in his vocal delivery early into the song - the way his singing morphs into an agitated outburst is the product of many hours of practice. His harsh vocals have not improved at the same rate. He is not at the level where he should attempt them, but no obvious pitch-shifting and the ability to maintain his pig squeals is a plus.

But what can I really say that's not me scraping for positive comments? Not much. Singles need X-Factors to draw me in. THEATRICAL BLUE BLACK doesn't have that. Yet another nameless, faceless single that I won't remember by next week, it could have been done by any other band with the same result. I fail to get a sense of what skills or inspirations MEJIBRAY possesses that separates them from their peers. If this is what they call a single, I'm not convinced the hype is warranted.

I'm even more convinced I'm right when I move onto the B-sides. BI"name"JIKA has an even more cryptic name and has it's own set of problems. First off, it sounds like two different tracks sandwiched together. The first part moves with a rhythm that sticks in your head like a harpoon but isn't catchy. An overreliance on electronic elements with barely any melody means MEJIBRAY is treading water until it switches gears halfway through. Once MEJIBRAY commits to the slow, building style of the chorus on the way out they start conjuring something that can keep my interest. But they don't sustain it for long and just when things get started the track begins to fade out. This irritates me, because the one time they stumble onto an idea not fully explored, it's treated as an afterthought.

HATE is MEJIBRAY's last attempt to get my attention, and they resorted to a two and a half minute number that isn't worth listening to. I have no positive comments about this song. Maybe this gets the crowds going when performing but it's a below-average track overall. I was bored faceless by this. Just needless screaming, a boring and simple set of riffs, and a lack of resolution coupled with no direction. They do this type of track now and again and every single time it just fails. I didn't even finish this song because once I knew where it was headed I knew I wouldn't like the destination.

Cut out all the fame and the hype G. Close any tabs that have a picture open of this band. Turn whatever you're listening to off. We're going to have a serious conversation.

I'll start with the fundamental question I want to pose: why?

Why are they at the forefront of the modern visual kei movement? This band is nothing special. Pardon my French, but this was bland as fuck. No immediate appeal, no lasting appeal, no noteworthy moments at all on this single. What was being hyped again, because I totally missed the train? Or rather, I should say the train missed the station. It never showed up!

Adamant on relying on the same bag of tricks that's been passed around the scene for the last few years, MEJIBRAY doesn't put their own spin on their influences. It's a direct copy-paste of the formula that never deviates from it's inspirations and this formula isn't a turn-key. If a successful product is the end goal, going through the motions isn't going to cut it. Bands can't just play metalcore riffs with pop choruses and come up with a hit single. Songs need soul! It's not only about composing the music, it's about feeling the music. Being the music, even! It's about putting your emotions, your heart, your everything into every track. Each track should communicate a message from artist to fan across language barriers the way only music can.

MEJIBRAY doesn't do this. MEJIBRAY is incapable of doing this. I've tried to get into them on multiple occasions and each time it leaves a worse taste in my mouth. I went back to their first single just to see if it's them or me and it's them. There were traces of promise on their first two singles that have been suppressed for a good while now. MEJIBRAY need to get back to their roots. DIE KUSSE was a step down from Karma & KILLING ME not only in terms of complexity, but delivery, energy, and passion. This is another step down from that. Where's the energy of the band? Everyone sounds so bored, like this has become a routine for them. The passion in the delivery of the choruses are so forced and unconvincing the songs never elevate. The thrill that only a great solo can instill in the listener; the type of solo to get your heart pumping and your feet tapping? It's not here.

At the beginning of the review, I said there were two groups: those that see potential and those that want results. I am in the latter group. Potential means jack shit if you can't deliver. Nobody will remember a band for their potential - only for what they delivered. As long as MEJIBRAY continues to not explore their potential and are content with substandard performances, they will never be deserving of all the hype or attention they get.

thank you! everyone is like this is gold. i kinda don't wanna try the album now since it could be boring too.

also feel like raven(song) and killing me(2014) set this up to fail flat.... and that's not a good thing.  

Completely agree with everything. I'm one of those same people I've been trying to get into them for the longest time but every time i try i leave disappointed. i just can't understand the appeal. They have good points to them but I've rarely heard them produce a great song from start to finish. これを依存と呼ぶなら and 躁と鬱と境界 are the only songs of theirs I really love.

Wow Zess, that was a mouthful. :D Cool review tho, even if evidently I'm on the other side of the field so to speak.

My thoughts on these 3 tracks (gonna go track-by-track cuz lel whatevs):

Theatrical Blue Black - Starts out with a light but powerful feel, and it's good to hear MiA finally utilize riffs on recordings he could actually replicate later in a live setting with just one guitar. The verses flow nicely into that bridge thingie, tho the screaming/squealing part is totally unnecessary, it feels like it's just there to "be there". Thankfully, the chorus is pretty sweet and sticks in your head immediately. Overall, a pretty cool track for an A-side with lots of energy, makes me hyped for the album (along with RAVEN).

BI"name"JIKA - I totally live for that cheesy synthy atmosphere in the beginning of the song, and then the weird clapping beat during the verse. xD It's something I haven't really heard from these guys yet, but still fits in well within their carved-out style. The chorus is surprisingly mellow (the beginning of the track somehow made it feel like a light-hearted feelgood party number)... then that last minute totally makes me lose my interest. Average song with some interesting bits sprinkled in.

HATE - Somehow I thought this was gonna be a fast punky SADS-like bomb (yeah, because of the title xD) but rly it's your regular MEJI'song with a bit more aggressive guitar parts and backing shouts thrown in (which I approve of!). This song kinda just flashes by you, there isn't much for it to stick in your memory. This is one of those tracks that might sound cool but ultimately it's just kinda hollow and by-the-numbers.

:3.0: | an okay single, the usual (tho a bit better B-sides this time around, compared to their last one)

Bless this review. I listened to it today and thought the same, so it's kinda nice to know it isn't just me. XD Mejibray is one of those bands whose songs I either love or delete without a second thought, and this single fell in the second category. No big deal though. Next!

Someone who I can relate too, Mejibray has fallen far from what they used to be. This single kind of disappointed me, just like RAVEN. The only single's i feel they put any REAL emotion into were, Sadisgate and Shuuei. I feel HATE is one of their worst songs, its repetitive chorus and growls are annoying. It's like a loop, if anything Mejibray needs to stop and think.......In my opinion they sort of lack originality. Want to see what I mean..? Listen to Toon Factory's - Squall and tell me what that sounds like..

The one thing that Mejibray has done since the beginning that drives me insane is the fact that they have multiple song's where they will only sing the name of the song as the chorus. Sabato was the first song I heard by them and at first I didn't care too much I thought they needed work and that the vocalist was pretty weak when there are so many great vocalist's out there, then I got into them, I don't know what it was but I just really started loving them, I will listen to anything they release but I hate the lack of creativity, ESPECIALLY when they have musicians with plenty of ability to make something top notch! I hate that they use the same pattern's for song's like Sabato, Avalon and Theatrical Blue Black follow's that same pattern, Killing Me just barely slip's by in my book because they make it sort of interesting but I did not think they would release something this lazy to spearhead as the single for the second full album, it's very saddening.

It's almost as bad as Daizystripper's single G.Z.S.K.K to promote their newest album, just very weak single's to show that the new album is coming out.

I doubt it's just me but does anyone else believe that Mejibray is probably rushing allot of their releases out? I'm not saying that as an excuse but it feel's like they release the same song three time's in a row continuously, what does everyone else think? 

Oh and great review Zess and or Zeus!

What I think is ironic about me and this band is that when the general consensus is that their release is good, I don't care for it and vice versa. I think this overall single is not only better than Raven, but I also think it's their best start-to-finish single in their career. Even Sabato, my previously favorite single, didn't compare because of that Ackercock atrocity. But in this single they've made 3 songs that I can really get behind and listen to over and over and like every time. Which is saying a lot. I want to love Mejibray, but they have more bad/boring songs than good.

This single though is stand out to me and I would give it a 5 star rating, but of course that's just me.

rating? it's a :0.5:

belong 1 star.

This single is even way to hard to review. Its mega boring.  melody is boring, vocal is alright.. but just the musical compose it soo not fit him singing the songs. It's a totally failure.

Is vocal is pretty good this time, just the melody of the songs.. so damn boring. nothing saying.

Don't know.. but this single feels as they wanted to try a bit like SCREAMO/ NüMETAL? or how to call that kinda REDMAN, (new) GIRU band mix way shizzel  
But simply no no no no.. their way... no thank you.  

They can better go back in time and play like their early years which fits them much more. Or they first need to master something new before they really put it on CD.

I generally like the single, I kind of got the feeling I was the only one, but the one thing that I haven't seen anyone specifically mention which stood out to me...

...Where is Tsuzuku's vibrato.... ? I truly hope he is holding it back on purpose (as some who are known for it do. i.e: Sono)

his vocal style is so erratic that it wouldn't be a surprise if he hurt it somehow, I truly hope not because Tsuzuku as a vocalist is among my favorites nowadays.

Sign in to follow this