Sign in to follow this  
PsychoΔelica

[SOLVED] Windows 8 yay or nay?

This may be a stupid question but I really need to know if it's worth to upgrade to Windows 8? I'm currently using Windows 7 and I've been having bugs on my computer on a regular basis recently. Such my mouse and pen tablet stop working some time after startup or suddenly getting the blue screen of death (though probably it's got to do with my antivirus). I was told that upgrading would solve all that, and the occasional solwness. But I'm kinda hesitating because it's a headache figuring out. Any opinions from those of you who are using W8 would be much appreciated. 

Oh man. These problems might be a hardware problems, for ex. motherboard usb issues, then upgrade to 8 won't solve that.

You can figure it out by reinstalling win7, so the problem will remain or not. Win 7 is fine anyway.

I agree, I don't think a new OS is going to help since the blue screen is usually a hardware failure. Most of my experience with it had to do with hard drive problems (viruses or an actual factory defect), Owl has recommended what I would say as well, try 7 again if that's what you already have. It will let you know fairly quickly if it's a simple software problem. You were probably recommended to upgrade since the mouse and tablet problems sound like driver errors, but that's another thing simply re-installing your current OS should fix.

Well, Windows 8 is predominantly catered towards touch screen interaction. If you don't have a monitor or all-in-one computer that also doubles as a large tablet / surface, then it might be a little clunky for a while and you'll be unable to use a lot of its features as they were intended to be used. I haven't used it a whole lot myself, but you should still be fine with 7 for a while.

I switched from Win 7 to Win 8 a while ago and it's... not terrible? I was going to do a fresh reinstall anyways, so I thought I'd try out 8. The whole tablet-interface-not-on-a-table thing is a bit rough to get used to, but after a while it'll all become second nature. As to whether or not it's better, that's hard to say. There are certainly some things that I miss from Win 7 and um... not too many things from Win 8 that I thought were missing from my life before XD

I'm also a Win8 user with a non-touch screen and its pretty easy to manuever once you've dug into it. It has a standard desktop feature and that's what I normally run out of. I only switch to the "home" screen for a few things like the search functions and shortcuts to programs. I haven't noticed any clunky feeling to it at all. I'm also not entirely sure what features are unavailable to non-touch screen users. It sure seems like I can access everything easily from here.

The only time I ever hop into Metro is when opening programs because I'm too lazy to set up one of those programs to add the start menu back :x

Not a fan of it, and really dislike metro. I really dislike the fact that they removed the start menu. There is no reason to do this and all it does is add inconvenience. I also dislike that you can only log in to your computer by signing in to your email. That just seems completely unnecessary to me.

Well in the end I'm not even able to start Windows. I guess it's hardware after all. So I suppose my question is not relevant anymore... Thanks for the comments guys.

I'll be taking it to the lab tomorrow, hopefully this is nothing serious >_<

But regardless I suppose it would be pointless anyway.

Looks like I had an OS problem... If I had formatted my computer on time none of this would've happened probably. But I'm a dummy when it comes to this stuff :P I should know better now.

I like windows 8. Windows 8 is great. I miss windows 8.

What are you using currently?

Looks like I had an OS problem... If I had formatted my computer on time none of this would've happened probably. But I'm a dummy when it comes to this stuff :P I should know better now.

What are you using currently?

had to revert back to windows 7 since the computer I had which ran windows 8 is no long in my possession, but currently I don't have access to internet in my own home so my laptop has been kind of collecting dust. I'm on my iphone mostly, windows phone was too expensive ;o;

had to revert back to windows 7 since the computer I had which ran windows 8 is no long in my possession, but currently I don't have access to internet in my own home so my laptop has been kind of collecting dust. I'm on my iphone mostly, windows phone was too expensive ;o;

I see :( I feel like a cripple without my computer, having to use my tablet instead :P

Btw is that Ice on your avatar?

I see :( I feel like a cripple without my computer, having to use my tablet instead :P

Btw is that Ice on your avatar?

omg tell me about it. It took me 3 hours to send my portfolio over the tablet i was on last night

Also yes it is now and before it was as well! ;0; shamelessly ice biased

omg tell me about it. It took me 3 hours to send my portfolio over the tablet i was on last night

Also yes it is now and before it was as well! ;0; shamelessly ice biased

Well I can't blame you, if I could I'd make him pose for me, haha :D

Your issues sound like hardware issues.  Was this an inexpensive PC from like, Best Buy, or a higher end ASUS/Dell/etc?  Reason I ask is because in the past I had some cheaper ones I bought just off-the-rack from Best Buy or Circuit City...sometimes things would just stop working.  For no reason.  The whole front USB hub just stopped working on my last PC.

I love Windows 8.  I had one PC crash about a week after I bought my new ASUS, but I think that was due to me running an old registry-cleaner (STUPID me...you don't even need those!) - ever since I did a totally fresh install of the OS, its been running flawlessly.  Windows 8 may be catered toward touch screen, but once you learn it, its super fast with a mouse and keyboard.  I love it!

I would recommend, if you have a Windows 7 disc, try totally reinstalling the OS.  This really does, sometimes, eliminate problems.  But if you are looking at upgrading, Windows 8 is great.  Also, if upgrading, don't go for the bottom-line pcs from stores.  There's nothing wrong with buying one from a store like Best Buy, just do research beforehand.  Stay away from AMD processors, and stick to Intel i5 or i7, ideally.  Also get at least 4GB RAM, ideally 8 or so, depending upon your needs.

^ You're right, it was a hardware issue, or both OS and hardware issue. It turned out my harddrive got fucked up. So now I'm getting it replaced and the Windows reinstalled. Apparently that was expected because my pc is over 4 years old. So now tabula rasa :P

Thanks for the advice, I do have an i5 btw.

if you have to get a new hard drive, now might be a good time to upgrade to SSD! Once you see how fast it is you'll never be able to go back to a regular HDD :D

Definitely!!! I just upgraded to a 250GB SSD hard drive, it cost me 130€ and I've never been this happy. Literally, this made my life 10000000 times better XD