Original Saku

The Upcoming Video Game Discussion Topic

On 11/15/2016 at 3:57 PM, Peace Heavy mk II said:

Has anyone been doing the FFXV roadtrip stuff from Amazon?

You get a Gae Bolg at the end of it, but the website is super clunky and works half the time for me ;( Also you _have_ to use it on mobile.

Oh now i see wtf you were talking about. lol.

Gonna do that right now.

I bring more FFXV hype and feels bros

cgwhrhy2i4phfqyuy7q9.jpg

Ultra minimalist billboard ad in Shibuya. But, in Japan, says all it needs to say.

I'm really curious how this game is gonna sell in Japan. I feel like there's no way it can outsell FF13, barring some massive explosion in PS4 sales and extremely good word-of-mouth.

Also here's some lovely artwork featuring Aranea. (Was released yesterday to tell you there are NINE DAYS LEFT ZOMG). I hope she plays a decently large role in the story. I'm still disappointed by what Jihl Nabaat ended up being.. completely forgettable. ...to be fair, I cannot remember much about the storyline in all three 13 games.

FFXV_Aranea.jpg

I haven't watched any trailers, gameplay videos, ads, Conan segments etc since like August. I *have* skimmed over a few impressions from journalists who seem mostly positive about it, so it probably won't be a complete dumpster fire???? (then again, FF13 got great reviews somehow). Trying to keep the hype in check. I have had so many hopes crushed this year. :sad: 

That reminds me, it is now time to watch Kingsglaive and Brotherhood...

1 hour ago, peffy said:

I haven't watched any trailers, gameplay videos, ads, Conan segments etc since like August. I *have* skimmed over a few impressions from journalists who seem mostly positive about it, so it probably won't be a complete dumpster fire???? (then again, FF13 got great reviews somehow). Trying to keep the hype in check. I have had so many hopes crushed this year. :sad: 

That reminds me, it is now time to watch Kingsglaive and Brotherhood...

You just love to torture yourself huh? haha.

never mind Aranea, THIS is my ... I was going to type "waifu" but then i immediately wanted to slap myself

I will settle for those giant Cactuar/Moogle plushies.. :wub: 

35 minutes ago, peffy said:

never mind Aranea, THIS is my ... I was going to type "waifu" but then i immediately wanted to slap myself

I will settle for those giant Cactuar/Moogle plushies.. :wub: 

SE why are you making me chooooooose?!?!?

Aranea's sexy voice doe hnngggg

Reviews are beginning to drop right now for FFXV. Looking good so far, although I remain skeptical (and I've only read snippets, not full reviews).

I do want to bring attention to Kotaku's Jason Schreier (a well-respected game journalist) categorizing the game as "Boy band dress-up sim". 

(http://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-xv-the-kotaku-review-1789400066)

Is this the nagoya kei game I never knew I wanted? I love dressing up characters, and I love (VK) boy bands, this is HUGE. Can I put make-up on them? ... I guess not. Someone should make that game. Or mod this game. I'd pay $5 for DLC or mod that lets me design their make-up. I'd pay another $2 to make Cindy look less embarrassing.

Also, here's a preemptive fuck you to Amazon Canada. My order status is "preparing for shipment" but the expected ship date is FRIDAY Dec 2, which means it won't get to me until next Monday or Tuesday. (They managed to get World of FF to me on launch day, but previously I've had pre-orders stuck in "preparing" for days). I guess this is what happens when you're not willing to pay for shipping or Canada's shit version of Prime.

Oh well, more time for me to try finishing Divinity... also I still haven't watched Kingsglaive/Brotherhood.

Edit Nov 30

My game arrived this morning. I guess Amazon likes to freak people out with completely wrong shipping/delivery estimates..

Probably gonna have enough time to at least watch Brotherhood while patches are downloading... 

Also, wow this thread is so dead..

Edited by peffy

Yo so how about them demos? NieR Automata and Gravity Rush 2 demos in the same day! Talk about hype!

long story short both demos are just simply amazing, especially the NieR demo. I already knew GR2 was gonna be a great game, no doubt in my mind. NieR on the other hand I had my doubts, but platinum games has totally dispelled all of that with this demo.

Edited by Original Saku

18 hours ago, Original Saku said:

Yo so how about them demos? NieR Automata and Gravity Rush 2 demos in the same day! Talk about hype!

long story short both demos are just simply amazing, especially the NieR demo. I already knew GR2 was gonna be a great game, no doubt in my mind. NieR on the other hand I had my doubts, but platinum games has totally dispelled all of that with this demo.

Nice, demo discussion~

I have been waiting so long for Nier Automata. It has literally everything I want in a game. The looks of the character designs are what I've always wanted to see and imagined in my own head, and the music is absolutely stunning as expected. The gameplay is even more enjoyable than I was expecting (give me that robot companion in every game please!). I'm really looking forward to seeing its release.

I have yet to check out anything Gravity Rush related, since I want to get the first game whenever that's cheap enough. Right now I'm spending what I can on sales for Vita games, and GR is on my to get list as soon as possible. 

Yeah I cant wait to dig into the complexity and creativeness of Yoko Taro at the helm combined with the awesomeness that is platinum combat systems. Only three months!

please dont get delayed XD

On 12/29/2016 at 1:24 AM, Original Saku said:

Ever since I played Vanquish for PS3 years ago, I had hoped they would return to this style of action for quite some time. Been a fan of Platinum since that game.

I was very impressed at the similarity to detail and action during gameplay for NieR: Automata, and hopefully the character design does not get altered.

NieR:Automata gameplay is very platinum, judging by the demos I was able to play. The exploring and moving around the world is an experience in and of itself. Can't wait for the official release… and to die many more times to the "balls all over the place" bosses

i didn't want to believe it when my bro told me, but persona 5 has been delayed yet again to april.

GOOD NEWS tho: they'll be adding dual audio! so it'll be the first persona game where you can choose to play with either english or japanese voices.

Edited by plastic_rainbow
this was already announced way back in november but just posting it here in case you haven't been keeping updated like me....

Persona 5 delayed again? lol where have I seen this before?

Why did you guys let this thread sit idle? There's a lot of shit going on!

I am really looking into Taro-Kun's Nier:Automata, I really am.

I was going to get Horizon:ZD, but this game looks like it's gonna be too damn good.

The gameplay trailers are getting better and better.

Also, who's pre-ordered that Legend of Zelda BOTW game yet?

I can't wait to play that as well. Hopefully I can get my hands on a Nintendo Switch at launch.

I've literally forgotten about everything else coming out this year. haha.

Has anyone played that For Honor demo?

I saw some Twitch streams, and it looks very good for people who like that style of combat, but as for me it's kinda slow.

Especially that samurai character. Will play it myself and get back to you guys.

5 hours ago, YuyoDrift said:

Also, who's pre-ordered that Legend of Zelda BOTW game yet?

I can't wait to play that as well. Hopefully I can get my hands on a Nintendo Switch at launch.

I've literally forgotten about everything else coming out this year. haha.

I'm just gonna go ahead and say that if you didn't preorder a Switch, you will not be getting one launch week (hell probably not even launch month xD), unless either you have friends in high places or pay out the ass for it. Everywhere sold out of it and has been sold out since the first day or two that the preorders were open. As far as I know from talking to various retailers, nobody is gonna be getting more preorders, and it's very likely that no one will have more shipments of the console in until a few weeks after launch at the earliest and even then those shipments will probably be sold out instantly because of the demand.

on another note I was able to get a preorder somehow at my local gamestop... Walked in the day after it was announced and dated and asked for a preorder and I apparently got the last one XD mind you this was not even 24hours after the preorders went live. so I guess I got extremely lucky because I have so many friends and acquaintances that are trying to get one but missed the small preorder window :lol:

I'm looking forward to Horizon ZD, but after seeing this certain quest video on YouTube my expectations are on the ground. I really hope this lives up to the hype, just don't be a pile of shit, pleaseee. 

Of course Nier Automata! I'm happy this world and story are still going and getting picked up by highly respected developers. 

Also I think there's a new danganronpa coming out in summer... I want that more than any game I mentioned so far. 

I had put 9000 yen into my Japanese PSN account in preparation to buy Ryu ga gotoku 6 (which is listed at 8800 yen or so)... only to randomly click on my Play Asia bookmark and find out they were selling it for $40 US as part of their weekly special sale.. so I jumped on that.. Then I got upset because I had no idea what to use that 9000 yen on.. most worthwhile Japanese games are being localized into English relatively quickly.. 

BUT! Today I was reminded of the existence of Dragon Quest XI. It's supposed to come out this year and I'm pretty sure the Western version hasn't been announced yet. Prime candidate for buying on Japanese PSN. 

pic06_z.jpg

sx6Alze.jpg

I'm not sure I'll ever get used to the brown-haired dude being the hero, and not the way-cooler-looking spiky-blue-haired dude. Please share your hair gel with the hero, his hair is flat af.

Also, not sure about the somewhat-jarring dissonance between the cartoony characters and the approaching-realistic-looking environment. Some of the ladies/kids especially look weird, with their huge Toriyama anime eyes. But look at those cute kitty monsters!!! And that attractive purple-haired lady! :o I hope she joins the party.. Anyway, regardless of artstyle issues, still really pumped for a real mainline turn-based Dragon Quest game on PS4.

.. I just hope the price is 9000 yen or lower..... FFXV is 9500 yen on PSN.. stupid non-standard Japanese pricing... I'll be PISSED if I have to get another PSN card.

(interesting side note.. the official site still makes zero mention of the already-confirmed Nintendo Switch version.. only shows PS4 and 3DS.. weird. maybe it will come much later)

Edited by peffy

Avoiding nier spoilers like the devil coz I'll only be able to buy it in 2 months.

Also have managed to avoid XV spoilers, all the while fighting with people on YouTube as to why the DLC for this game aren't a rip off. I haven't completed xv yet but holy shit I can't wait to play episode Gladio.  It looks amazing  

PS.  Is there anyone here who thinks the DLC is a rip off? And why? 

Edited by Platy

7 hours ago, Platy said:

Avoiding nier spoilers like the devil coz I'll only be able to buy it in 2 months.

Also have managed to avoid XV spoilers, all the while fighting with people on YouTube as to why the DLC for this game aren't a rip off. I haven't completed xv yet but holy shit I can't wait to play episode Gladio.  It looks amazing  

PS.  Is there anyone here who thinks the DLC is a rip off? And why? 

You should totally stay away from Kotaku. Their writers are respectless as shit, spoiling the game with their headline even before the game even was out, not that spoiling the game a week after would justify it...

19 minutes ago, applesorbet said:

You should totally stay away from Kotaku. Their writers are respectless as shit, spoiling the game with their headline even before the game even was out, not that spoiling the game a week after would justify it...

seriously? the article should be taken down. Morons.

4 hours ago, applesorbet said:

Really? I find Kotaku one of the best sites to get some news without being spoiled. I'm waiting for the inevitable XV PC port, as I don't own a PS4,  and I've read TONS of writings on XV there, and I still don't know shit of the story or major arcs or stuff like that. Same as Breath of the Wild, many great gameplay arcs, without a single mention of any spoile-y information

On 3/14/2017 at 0:14 AM, chemicalpictures said:

Really? I find Kotaku one of the best sites to get some news without being spoiled. I'm waiting for the inevitable XV PC port, as I don't own a PS4,  and I've read TONS of writings on XV there, and I still don't know shit of the story or major arcs or stuff like that. Same as Breath of the Wild, many great gameplay arcs, without a single mention of any spoile-y information

If you snoop around their latest articles on Nier Automata you'll surely find it, I can't say how much of a spoiler it is tbh (since I'm only able to play it on Friday. PC release). And it wouldn't really make sense for me to force myself to read the article just to confirm that it wasn't something significant to the story.

Either way, it has spoiled some of the fun for me now that I'm expecting this and that, at this certain point of the game (trying to sound a bit ambiguous here to not spoil it for anyone else).