Tetora

Describe the type of Japanese Music you like (without using genre or common terms).

Hello,

I thought it would be fun and interesting to do short, `elevator pitches` of the kind of Japanese music you are drawn to.

I think it will be most interesting to do it without mentioning genre, or anything like that, and instead of saying  `VK` or `Indie` etc...  because there are so many different sides of those, to express what kind, in terms of feeling, sound, etc... without common terminology.

Just describe the essence of it.

Here`s mine, feel free to do yours how you want, and stray outside of Japanese music in general if you feel the need to:

Action packed, in your face, with attitude. Something that defines its own sense of `cool`, and carries the feeling of `a desire for more in life`. Vocals and instruments that have defined styles, and carry emotion. Bonus points come with a meaning that either keeps it simple but relatable, or goes beneath the surface. Something that`s different, not because they are trying, but because that`s what they are, and reminds you to stand up with pride.

If it suits my taste and I can't get the same sound anywhere else, then there is a chance of me liking it. Soft-energetic vocals in power metal bands. Warm-poppy energetic rock. Deep-heavy vocals in chaotic or clean rock.

I think that is really the only three things I look for now in Japanese music. 

Hmmm, this is hard for me.  I tend to love all kinds of genres and sounds.  Usually I just sample music until something just feels right, then I fall in love, haha!  I'm usually not a fan of screaming but when it comes to MEJIBRAY and Dir en Grey, I find the growls and screams strangely comforting and unique that I love it!  For the most part, I love music with defined styles like you said.  Just buying a cd from one of my favorite bands, ripping it onto my iPod and then playing on shuffle, never hearing the song before and I can instantly tell it is them, that right there is awesome! xD

Action packed and in your face songs, atmospheric and emotional songs, haunting and tense songs, experimental and unique songs.

Really, I just like music that feels complete, solid, where everything in the track works and compliments each other.

As for vocals, meh, I can tolerate a lot but I prioritize the instrumental over vocals since even the best singer out there can still bore me with a textbook ballad.

It's intimidating; but relieving. Refreshing in a way that can only be likened to a long and sometimes arduous journey across the beautiful setting of the countryside. In the countryside, your ears and eyes open to sights and sounds unfamiliar, yet the path is never lost. You continue your journey forward, picking up on all the animals that scurry across the mountainous trees, which stand at heights as if reaching for the stars. It is perhaps the end of the journey which is the most cherished. As you come to a clearing you realize you were closer to home than you imagined. You reach the top of a hill and look down, and in that moment you are renewed with a strength you have not had since the beginning, and push forward to your destination. Perhaps the greatest moment, is the end -- that moment when you reach your destination. Everything has built to this point, and overwhelming feelings of excitement wash over as you step into the doorway of your destination. Home.

Hair, sexually arousing basslines, vocals that sound like the feeling of your hands reaching out of a sunroof into a clear blue sky, hair, the scent perfume that reminds you of the girl with her hair dyed in the colors of the sunset, the bitterness I felt when I stepped into the rain when I left behind my umbrella, guitars that weep, moan, fall like rain drops, or battle each other to death, hair, the schadenfreude over the misfortune of the one who broke you heart and the following realization that no matter what, you're still just as alone as you were before, basslines like heavy mist that engulf the darkened highway carved into the Blue Ridge mountains, hair, ribs, tattoos, vocals that wake you up before anything else in the entire world, and though you're still tired, make you still want to watch the sun rise, the guitar that takes you to the apartment window with a cup of coffee and a skyline view you've always dreamed of having, hair, sunglasses, and a melodies that bring a smile to your face as you return to that place you once were and relive one of those bittersweet memories.  

Poorly rendered synth church organs, voices that do the errrr-ER-eeeerrrrr thing, long buildups, an atmosphere I like to call the 'gypsy crystal aesthetic', shit that sounds magical and mysterious, high pitched voices sounding sad

Please elaborate on both the errrr-ER-eeerrrr thing and gypsy crystal aesthetic 

Frilly, out of tune, cross dresser shit recorded on a $15 budget by bandmen whom barely know how to play their instruments. The more chinchillas, feathers, && leathers, the better. Faux-french and / or clavichords are an added bonus.

I want so bad to explore your lastfm 

(not only japanese generally about music)
it depends on the band.every band would not be the same description.but i guess my favorite type of songs are the ones that make me forget where i am.can make all the world around me disappear.make me feel that can literally take my soul . or make me feel something more intense than ordinary.whatever that feeling might be.the feelings might be different ,it depends on the song and on the artist.it's not always the same feeling.but they have to make me feel something/any feeling more intense.

also  i can enjoy a song that doesn't make me feel . it's just that i can't admire it.(the song)

so it's really difficult to explain to people on technical terms most of the times in conversations, when i choose based on what they make me feel. (i have sometimes the impression that some people seem like they can't understand this  . if seriously they can't understand. they do not know what they are missing.)

about looks.
if you forget the music i would just choose bands that are the prettier ,most good looking or the most attractive.having to be masculine and feminine at the same time .and have something in their appearence that is rock or underground (whatevel that is) and doesn't give a shit about mainstream popular fashion .this is why i like vkei in general nomatter what  my favorite bands are.

Ugh, difficult (because I am not good at describing in English), but let's try:

I like off key vocals, when they are used well and are transformed into a strenght, which makes a good contrast to otherwise professional sounding vocalists. I like my music raw, maybe low-budget (but still listenable and enjoyable). Cheesy synths, drumcomputers, Magix music maker VST sound effects and keyboard tunes are a plus. Monotone recitation or monologues as if the singer is struggling with his own self or talking to their other person living in their mind (or hiding in their shadows) are great. Maniacal laughter, moaning (up to the point it is just ridiculous and you can't tell if their moan derives from symbolizing pain or sexual pleasure) too. I generally have a thing for singers who express themselves with all kinds of varied methods, especially with screaming, whispering, laughing or weeping. The more dramatical, the better!

Also gloomy tunes, dark brooding basslines, vibrating in the air and being torn by the sounds of scything guitar tones. I  love flanging guitars, especially when combined with hall and other effects. Wall of sounds, ethereal soundscapes and calming, but still somehow unnerving and cold melodies are my faves too. I really enjoy it when the dark, misty bass lines fuse with the guitars in a way that i get the feeling a stream of cold light is touching my skin and I start to shiver. I also often judge a music wheter or not it can give me either goosebumps or the wish to move my body to the music. It's really delightful when a song reaches a part or climax and your feeling a strange, but great wave flowing through your body. A bit scary, but scary is always good.
But I also enjoy heavier, fast tempo songs. I feel certain types of Visual kei are a nice fusion of those cold, yet melodic and ethereal guitar lines and the rather fast, raw and offensive sounds. But my preferences aren't necessarily limited to VK or Jrock, I really enjoy my non-japanese music being athmospheric, cold, mysterious and gloomy too. Catchy up-beat synths to dance to are nice as well.

All in all it's dependent on my mood. Sometimes I listen mainly to dark, sobbing tunes, other days I want to be cheered up by light and dancey music. And then there are days where I need to vent by synchronizing my thoughts and feelings with those tormented screams of the singers.

I don't want to comment much about looks, as I feel this would belong to it's own topic and isn't necessarily linked with the description of music.