Sign in to follow this  
togz

Monochrome Radio?

So I was thinking, I know we all like our jams and such, but with the recent activity of people sharing music genre's not everyone is familiar with and with everyone discovering new artists they like... 

I was wondering what people would think about like an online radio broadcast?

Maybe it could include live reports for overseas countries that come directly from the users here. Or maybe you saw a show in Japan you'd like us to talk about on the radio show. 

We can also make reminder announcements for things going on with the site as well as up coming events related to the Japanese music scene. 

I personally have a collection of cds i don't mind using for give aways and things like that.

And of course we can't forget the music part!

Thoughts?

Or is there anyone interested in helping with a radio broadcast?

What do the mods think?

I am currently looking at hosting sites, but for now i'm just throwing the bait out there. It's only an idea, really it has to be approved by the admins and mods, as well as demanded by the people here for it to be worth it. 

Also if anyone has other suggestions of what kind of stuff to put on the radio show (if it happens again just an idea) feel free to contribute so I can add it to the main post.

I think this is a wonderful idea myself - although I'm unsure atm how a radio broadcast would work (I'm sure it can be figured out), I'd totally be down to contribute.

It seems like a lot of work depending on how high quality of a broadcast/podcast will be done. It could be tricky if people don't have very good recording or editing equipment. But I'm interested in helping out if I can. Anything to spread the word on good music.  Something where possibly segments sharing different sides of Japanese music/Japanese rock. Something where people that specialize in certain genres can not only talk about them but compile the playlists for a segment. Or maybe have user spotlights where they contribute their favorite artists for a spell. I dunno. 

I have an actual recording mic that i can use, I'm pretty much just checking out again to see what options there are for a hosting site. 

Thank you for being willing to help :'D

This is literally an idea I came up with a few hours ago and I was talking to CAT5 about it and decided to just make a post to see what other people thought.

I wouldn't be against it, it all depends on how we implement it. preparation will probably be key, not to mention finding people willing to run it and be dedicated.

Well for now if it was only going to be me... I could either pre record certain things... and some how set a standard playlist. I do work a full-time job, but generally weekends or evening times after work I can dedicate time to it. 

It's definitely something that's going to have to be done with a handful of people. As much as I'd like to say i could do it all by myself, that would be incorrect. 

I'd also have to take timezones in to consideration...

No problem. I'm available for grunt work. :3 It wouldn't take much for me to get my hands on equipment or software if it came down to it, either. Depending on how big a project this might be. And I'm on the opposite coast from you so might could help with some timezone constraints. 

No problem. I'm available for grunt work. :3 It wouldn't take much for me to get my hands on equipment or software if it came down to it, either. Depending on how big a project this might be. And I'm on the opposite coast from you so might could help with some timezone constraints. 

Honestly, you'd be an ideal person to work with, so if you're up for it... if it pans out.... I'd like to ask you *___*

You're really open minded, enthusiastic, and you have a very good knowledge of many bands that I don't. 

I will send you a message!

I was a radio dj for almost 3 years some time ago and i know a lot about how somthing like that works , altough the issue will always be with the licences , i know we all share music here already and all , but a radio would be different especially with and outside server . It will be easier to find and make MH potential target for Anti Piracy Groups . So it is a good idea , but i dont know if the admins of this site want to take the higher risks and make a radio . A good alternative would be making podcasts and posting them here by use of filehosting sites , that would not be any riskier than what we already do .

Also what i should mention from experience and its not only from my country but it happens everywhere is that sharing music , and doing radio broadcasts are treated as two different things with the later being seen as a bigger crime when you dont have a license .

If you want to make a radio or go with the alternative i can help in any way i can . Equipment details , software and other stuff . Well for software there are some good one but you need to pay like SamBroadcaster , and there are some free ways like the shoutcast plugin to winamp but you need to have a good audio card with a well working stero mix , most integrated sound cards and cheap one either dont have it at all , or have it but it would be unusable for this , the sound would be very bad . For equipment i can tell you from my experience that an expensive microphone is not always the best , my first was a stage micro , and the second was a cheapone build in headhones for players , the second one was better . For what to do on auditions there is a ton of what you cant do , from live requests and live talks with listeners on skype to a audition about a band or a genre , a report from a concert you where on or some big event ralated to music to news from japanese music scene . But thats only some of the stuff you can do it all depends on the dj .

I could as well take on the role of dj and make some auditions but my english accent is not too good and i might sound like engrish sometimes (maybe cause i listen to so many japanese bands with engrish , so i cant learn proper accent?) , and it seems on this forum some ppl hate me for not holding it in when i hear or see something i dont like and say it .

I wouldn't listen to such radio. There are many...

There is need to ask info to the copyright protecting company. DMC? Or how its called in America. Well depends in which country you gonna stream from.

But you need to get a licence.

Also playing CMs!!

However if you wanna get cheaper you simply need to ask bands/labels if its okay.

I'm not too well versed when it comes to the whole copyright mumbojumbo on radio, but that podcast that's always featured over at jpopsuki seems to feature majorly popular Japanese artists like Perfume and Ayumi Hamasaki without repercussions. Don't think they have the actual budget to acquire a permit for airing that. What I've noticed though is that they feature the music only during the live stream. The actual recording viewable afterwards only has the talky bits left in and the music cut out. Maybe that is an questionable option for making this work after all!?

For my radio stream, I use a host called Radionomy.  The good thing about them is that as long as you personally buy the music that you play on your station, they pay royalties.

It is not allowed to play music you downloaded for free from a torrent, etc.

Their funding seems to be backed in this manner:  the more popular you become, the more interested advertisers are in your station.  Thus, in order to stay free for you (the broadcaster) and for the listeners, once you become "viable" i guess, they may start adding ads to your stream.  

Sounds good to me.  Better than Live365, because they make the broadcaster pay regardless.  The backend of the website software was pretty confusing though!  Still is :D

With radionomy, you can add podcasts, and I believe even live broadcasts.  

Maybe something to look into if you all really want to get that rolling, but it is a lot of work!

Thank you for your input but I currently don't have actual Internet access out of my phone data and the amount of people interested in this aren't really enough to really convince me there is a demand for it. Maybe in the future I'll revisit the idea but for now it's going on the back burner.

There is one good solution for that radio thingie , there was one canadian radio streaming site , where they take your radio as theyre channel and they are the ones who pay all the licenses and stuff , you are only paying the costs of the server and streaming , one of our polish j-rock radio stations used this option for some time , later they had to drop out cause of financial problems , cause the person paying for this left the radio . If i remember the name of that hoster ill post this here it might come in handy .

Sign in to follow this