Sign in to follow this  
rekzer

DEATHGAZE - ENIGMA

well it's out. what do people think of it?

i have listen to it twice and I'm a little disappointed.

im happy they finally tried something new but the robot screams are killing it for me.

why couldn't Ai just scream like he always does. like in Dead Blaze and Allure.

it might have to grow on me.  ._. 

why couldn't Ai just scream like he always does. like in Dead Blaze and Allure. 

paranoid parade 

I actually really like the album, I think the album as a whole was really well done and a huge step up from Creature which I didn't care for at all. The singles here were brilliant and the album tracks themselves were also rather great. My favorites, specifically: Ready Go, Fear, Breath, and Seventh Heaven. Enigma and Drain Away are also up there.

i love the album , yes it is a big step up from Creature. my only complaint as stated is the weird effects on the screams :\ kinda kills the mood for the songs for me

Well i really have a hard time overlooking that robot screams , but this is too popular with visual kei metal wannabies , they cant do skilled shouting and growling so they go and get some weird effects . Thats bad and thats what made me hate visual kei . Still i gave them a listen and i have to say this album is good , better than their last one , had less deja vu feelings listening to this , the songs had better compositions , and where less repeatable than last album where i thougt its one extremely long and the same song . So Enigma is not a recommended album and will not even reach my top 100 of this years releases , but still its worth a listen and is a big leap for this band .

Overall the album is good, but when I took a time to pay real attention to it, I found some songs kind of boring. The clean vocals sound like he's dying (this is not a good thing in this case) and the drumming is a lot repetitive sometimes. The good thing is that there are still good songs with a lot of screams and interesting riffs. I love that riff on FEAR. Also I like how the bass is so audible on ENIGMA. Even with the filter on the harsh vocals for this one, I love it. It gets me pumped up for the rest of the album. It's a pretty interesting song. DEAD BLAZE and ALLURE saved the album a lot for me, cause DEAD BLAZE is the song that made me listen to their whole discography and ALLURE I like more than others on the album. Finally: boring vocals, boring drumming at sometimes, but catching riffs and old songs that I like, so 3/5

Painfully obvious DEATHGAZE wrote and recorded a painfully obvious DEATHGAZE album yet again. Almost literally the only standout tracks are those of previous singles: DEAD BLAZE has such top-notch energy and aggression that I'm even able to forgive Typical Desugaze Chorus #3445, while THE UNDERWORLD is quite beautiful and elegant in its gothy-ness and provides a bit of well-deserved fresh air among the stale surroundings. Opening song ENIGMA manages to ignite a spark too (that distorted-to-hell-and-back bass is a nice touch btw!) but ultimately falls prey to its own idiotic repetitiveness. Otherwise a fitting starter. Other worthwhile moments include SADISTIC SMILE and FEAR, neither of whom I can remember anything except for digging them upon listening. The rest either couldn't even elicit a reaction from me or sounded atrocious (lookin' at you, READY GO a.k.a. obligatory ending-on-a-happy-and-genki-note song). All in all, it's good for what it is but I doubt I'll recall any melody or riff, say, tomorrow. xD

:3.0: | the usual average-to-okay display, what you see is what you get

To put this in short: This album should have been shortened to an EP containing the following songs:

1. ENIGMA

2. DEAD BLAZE

3. THE UNDERWORLD

4. BREATH

5. SADISTIC SMILE

6. FEAR

If it'd have looked like this, I would have given it a generous 6/10. It's not bad, but it's far from outstanding. It all sounds badly recycled, and the only revolutionary thing about it really is the synth part in THE UNDERWORLD and the continuous tapping in FEAR. Both sounds good and fun to listen to, even if THE UNDERWORLD falls back into 0815 jrock metalcore formula once the chorus starts. The other 4 songs also sound good, they're energetic and supported by acceptale chorus sections. But it simply lacks tracks like "THE END" who highlighted the previous album with their outstanding quality.

I'm not even going to mention the remaining songs, since they are literally nothing. While listening to the album I really asked myself "Wait a moment... did I just listen to a song? Because I don't remember".

Compared to this, lynch's GALLOWS is a masterpiece.

Sign in to follow this