Tetora

If you didn`t have Japanese Music, what would you be listening to now?

Hey guys,

As the title inquires, if you didn`t have Japanese music (VK, Indie, Pop, Idol, Electronic, or whatever you like / love) what would you be listening to, and how would your life be different?

How much does Japanese music add to your life?

Would there be any benefits to not having it, like a heavier wallet or bigger bank account? Or is it just plain worth it?

Do you have irreplaceable friends you found through Japanese music?

Has it opened up your life more? Gave you an interest in Japanese culture? How would your interests change if you didn`t have this music?

-----

As for me, I would probably still be listening to Classic Rock a lot, maybe repeating the same songs I have listened to a million times without anything new coming my way. Maybe I would be more into Electronic music, maybe I would be going to raves all the time? Who knows. Maybe I would be more into Korean music as well.

I definitely would not have made some good friends that I have met along the way. I think I would also be missing something that only VK can give me, some kind of feeling in my heart, and some kind of attitude.

I think I would be a different person. My friends and people I have went out with definitely wouldn`t be as annoyed by the `music they can`t understand`constantly being played. And when in Japan I would be doing different things.

-----

Anyway, let us all know about yourself, and thanks for reading!

I love these <3

Oh I forgot to add, I would be listening to a lot of electronic rock music if I had no Japanese music lol.

I would say a lot of my life lol.  I usually listen to it everyday and it takes up 90% of my iPod.  When I'm sick I usually watch Dir en Grey lives...and my walls are covered with them.  HAHA, wow.  Adds a lot.

Would there be any benefits to not having it, like a heavier wallet or bigger bank account? Or is it just plain worth it?

Fuck yeah my bank account would be higher and my wallet fatter.  But it's worth it to me, I guess.  Because I love them and their music so much and want to support them even though I am broke as fuck most of the time, oh well.  I love it.

Maybe a few online, everyone I have known in real life just makes fun of me or tells me to shut the fuck up about Japanese music.  Except my Husband, after our first date we sat on the floor drinking beers, each taking turns on youtube showing off our favorite Japanese bands PV's.

Has it opened up your life more? Gave you an interest in Japanese culture? How would your interests change if you didn`t have this music?

I have always had an interest in Japanese culture when I got into Final Fantasy when I was seven-ish.  I would probably always feel incomplete as sad as that sounds.  When I discovered Japanese music, mostly Visual Kei, I was like 'fuck yes, this is what I have been missing!'  Other wise I would still love other Japanese things, like their awesome video games and snacks!

I was going to say hip-hop at first, as I am a big hip-hop head, but the whole reason I got into Japanese music in the first place was due to me trying to distance myself from it since it was super shit around 09 ish....still is shit now though -.- I would say I would've delved deeper into old Soul, RnB and Blues music. As it is the basis of hip-hop and I probably would've bought a crap ton of box sets to get me started too. I would still be introduced to KPOP though as I watched quite a bit of foreign movies and korean ones take up a majority of them. It would be natural for me to follow up on the music and see what they are about. So financially, it wouldn't be better as I am a music lover in the first place and would still be buying music on the regular.

Japanese music just brings more diversity to my music collection. I probably wouldn't get into rock/metal if it wasn't for it. Other than that, it isn't that big part of my life. I live in Canada so it doesn't have much of a cultural impact for me to start "seeing the world differently." I already did before I got into it.

I would have hopefully still found brutal metal

visual kei has influence how i dress a little(started wearing sun glasses because of his grace), and take pics. whats hot and not. i feel better listening to Lycaon.

i would have more time on my hands maybe.

yeah kinda

i feel more cool about myself. modern visual modeling/acting culture? my interest in looks would be different.

Honestly, not to sound hella weaboo... but I feel like it's the only thing that really helps me feel like me. It's something I discovered on my own, grew passionate about on my own, and have been a fan of for 10+ years. I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out who i am and where I want to be, but coming back to this makes me feel like at least I know a little bit of myself. It's helped me really become open minded and accepting towards a lot of things, not just music. 

Maybe I wouldn't feel so lost if I had liked something more common to listen to in my own country. Maybe i'd have more money. Maybe I'd be happy doing what I'm doing and wouldn't care about doing something more creative in my life. I think this kind of music really helps me continue to dream and have a creative soul and mind.

I do have amazing friends and memories I would have never had otherwise. My life would be COMPLETELY different. 

I think maybe it has made me feel more secluded or less social only because most people find it weird and I'd rather avoid being judged for it so I spend time alone or with people I already know through events we had in common. I used to have interest in Japanese culture and I wanted to go to Japan to study, however recently I've been giving up on all that, I just can't seem to kick the music out of my life. I'd probably only be listening to classic rock, or rather anything from the 80's really... classical music and jazz.

For me, I'd say this is quite a lot. I've been a fan of VK for over 10 years now, run a VK store and have made one trip to Japan so far solely for the reason of VK concerts. I'd say that's definitely enough to say that it's contributed a ton to my life and the type of person I am today.

Well, I certainly would have a lot more money without Japanese music XD Though with running a store, it's starting to even out more. Even without the store, I'd say it was totally worth the money I've put into it so far.

Nearly all of them. I'm a rather introverted person and I have trouble connecting with most "normal" people due to totally sucking at small talk. However, when it comes to other VK fans, that wall just seems to come crumbling down and I'm able to connect and befriend them pretty easily. It certainly doesn't hurt that I met my super amazing girlfriend though MH, which totally wouldn't have happened otherwise :P

I would definitely say so. If it hadn't been for getting into VK and meeting the people that I have through it, I doubt I would have done many of the things I've done today. It has probably directly led to me traveling around the world and experiencing cultures and places that I otherwise would not have without making the friendships that I have through VK. Without VK, I assume I'd probably still be into anime like I was before finding out about it and would probably still be listening to cheesy metal bands(not that I've stopped doing that since XD).

I feel like getting into Japanese music has added being more open-minded to my (musical) life. I find myself checking out more artists no matter what language or the genre because of it. I haven't been "seriously" listening to Japanese music for a long time, in fact it's just over 3-4 years. It's also allowed me to be more tolerant of other people's tastes. I remember when I used to think experimental music was weird and that listening to music in languages that you don't understand was pointless. Also, without getting into Japanese music I wouldn't have many of the friends that I have today.

My wallet and bank account would definitely benefit if I wasn't into this music because importing albums from Japan is a pain in the butt and expensive. But so worth it. I like supporting artists that I like. <3 

Yeah. :)

I've always been interested in Japanese culture but my interest definitely increased when I got into the music. I had always liked anime, manga, and thought Japanese was a cool looking language :P. Honestly, without Japanese music in my life, I wouldn't be learning Japanese right now or have had the desire to change my major to Asian Studies (with a concentration in Japanese studies). I really think it's made me who I am today. 

Without Japanese music... I'd probably be listening to pop music like Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus, etc. just a lot more (though to be honest I already listen to them a lot). I think over time I would have went from pop music to indie music, and then bouncing back and forth between those with some rock albums thrown in... that seems to be a common pattern for me. :)

If I hadn't known of Visual Kei, I'd be listening to other forms of metal. Mostly thrash-and death metal as they're genre's I am still into. I enjoy bands such as Death Angel, Obituary, Behemoth, Morbid Angel, Death, Testament, Possession, etc. Visual Kei was never a shock to me either because I've grown into metal from bands such as Poison, Cinderella, Pretty Boy Floyd, and all sorts of other glam metal groups. The image was something I was familiar with before.

I think it has steered me in certain ways. I wouldn't necessarily say it's been a lifesaver, or say I couldn't live without it anymore, but it did open up a world for me I wasn't aware of before, and I think that it's always nice to explore new worlds that do allow you to see certain means through a different point of view. 

I've spent a few thousands on Visual Kei already, so it would most definitely help in keeping my wallet and bank-account in check if I hadn't discovered it. I didn't buy much music other than the occasional piece of vinyl before.

Had you asked me this two years ago, I would've said yes. As of currently, I don't think I've got any real friends left whom I met through the Visual Kei scene. I've been lied to a lot, I've been stolen from, I've simply been left falling behind in a lot of things as I constantly feel that my former friends have found a better purpose with other people. Personally, I think that among every musical scene, the fans from Japanense bands (mainly Visual Kei) are the most scheming and dramatic. It's like the genre in itself attracts troubled and uncivilized individuals, and from personal experience there's hardly ever been a time where I could upkeep a normal conversation with someone whom I met through this type of music without them completely losing their cool. In fact, I had quite the lot of friends from before I grew into Visual Kei. I went to music festivals and events a lot, but after I started to stray away from thrash-and death metal, it's like my friends strayed from me, too.

Has it opened up your life more? Gave you an interest in Japanese culture? How would your interests change if you didn't have this music?

It did give me an interest in Japanese culture, as I wasn't interested in Japan or other Asian countries per sé before I grew into Visual Kei. I only watched little anime and didn't have much of an idea of the country at all other than what one generally sees in the news. I'd say it is beneficial to observe and experience any form of art in a different language, because generally new interests spring from this. Other than this, I don't think my interests would've changed much from how they were before I was introduced to Japanese music; I'd still just play videogames, watch movies and television series, and wouldn't care about much else other than that and music.

As the title inquires, if you didn`t have Japanese music (VK, Indie, Pop, Idol, Electronic, or whatever you like / love) what would you be listening to, and how would your life be different?

I honestly don't know. I'd probably be still listening to mainstream music or I may have moved on to the English-language 80's/90's, indie, and alternative music genres/artists I currently enjoy along with my Japanese-language music. I'm not even entirely sure that I'd even have the same passion for music that I have now at all. It's been such a mind-opening, wonderful, exciting journey becoming a part of the fandom and being exposed to so many artists and learning so much about what music has to offer, my music taste hasn't been the only thing that has been affected by the music, but it has also affected parts of my worldview as well. 

Japanese music itself doesn't really do anything magical. I'd prefer to give credit to individual artists for their contributions to my life. The artists I've grown to love have made living much easier, more tolerable, and more meaningful. They give me something to look forward to and to smile about. It's given me inspiration for my writings and poetry and other ways I express myself. They give color to the world when it seems like there isn't any. I could go on and on about all the good shit until I had a little novella in the works. 

In addition, there's also the simple shit it gives me - like a community to be involved in, a way to relate to people, a fun excuse to chat up with strangers on the internet and fill a blog full of pretty pictures, rants, and flowery reviews.

I might have procrastinated less in both high school and college and, yes, both my parents and myself would have heavier wallets, but knowing me, I'm sure if I didn't put the money towards music, it would probably go towards another hobby or interest. I think 98% of the time, it's been worth it, although there are a few purchases I face-palm about to this day, considering all the stress I put into obtaining them when I could have just downloaded it online and been just as satisfied in the end. :P

I'd say so. :) Although for the most part they are internet friends, they are irreplaceable nonetheless. I hope to stay apart of those people's lives for a very long time. 

Absolutely! Being opened up to Japanese music has opened my mind to music from other parts of the world and allowed me to explore genres I wouldn't otherwise be aware of or interested in. I no longer have many reservations about trying new artists and new styles and obviously, language is no longer a barrier that keeps me from enjoying any music. As I said before, not only has it changed my musical interests, but it has also changed the way I view the world and how I view people. I've become a more tolerant, thoughtful person and I'd say I've even become a more confident person as well. Overall, I'd say Japanese music and individual artists have been a VERY positive influence on my life. 

I'd probably be a lot more into my local music scene. But when I got sick of all those people Japanese music was my escape and helped me deal with the fact that I don't have many real friends here. Because of my interest in Japanese music I made a lot more friends online and travel a lot more than I probably would have without it. Actually thinking about my life without the friends I made because of this music makes me really sad.

It's hard to say, really. As far as just the music... it does what I think most music should do to a persons life. It's helps you deal with your emotions; happy, sad, angry, hyper, lazy, romantic, and even just those times when you wish someone was there that understood what you were going through. Music becomes your friend through all of it, I don't think the country of origin necessarily matters in this instance. At least, not for me.

My wallet would definitely be bigger. I spend literally thousands of dollars a year on downloads, CDs, shipping, concerts, travel and accommodations for those concerts, conventions, band merch, ect... but meeting the artists and sharing the love for music with friends makes everything worth it. I gives me motivation to work extra hours at a boring job that would make me want to jump off a cliff, otherwise.

I inadvertently answered this (I didn't read through all the questions first, oops!), but absolutely yes. The majority of my close friends and longest lasting friends have been made through Japanese music circles. 

I had the interest in Japanese culture before the music. It's what led me to looking into Japanese music. Originally, I was into Japanese art, irezumi, and fashion. But once I got into the music that pretty much steamrolled all the other interests in Japan. It did make me have a great interest in learning Japanese language so that I could better understand the songs I loved, though. Without the music I don't know if I would have ever cared enough to learn Japanese language, travel to Japan, or even visit as many places in my own country as I have under the excuse of seeing concerts. I stayed for a month in the UK to turn a chance to see GazettE into a proper holiday with friends there. I would have never made that friend or visited Scotland without us both being GazettE fans. 

So to finish this up, Japanese music has enriched my life in a lot of ways. I'd still be a total music freak and support bands. But something about the Japanese scene is just so addictive. They are too good at knowing what it takes to empty my wallet. lol. And I love them for it, so it's okay.

I'd definitely be listening to more heavy metal or for those who want to call it "Finnish heavy metal" or lost somewhere in EDM music.

Somewhat added more to my life but it taught me that music can touch your heart. And it's made me a happier person, it opens hidden emotions.

It's definitely worth buying and supporting the artists in my opinion. So it'd keep me a bit more wealthier if I didn't buy their CDs.

None yet. 

I mostly watched anime before listening to J-rock and I had no opinion on the culture or the people. Through bands I've found that they're very good people and want to support their fans and vice versa. Some people get injured and continue to play for fans which is awesome :D | I find it very different from the American culture and music (maybe depending on the subculture/group?)
Out of 712 songs on my MP3 player, 490 are by Japanese artists, so it'd be pretty dry. Also, my friends keep trying to hook me up with Asian girls ~_~

Nowadays not much. I still listen to bands I like(d) every now and then but that's it. If I suddenly would have to without, I'd miss a handful of bands but I'd survive.

Not really since I hardly spend any money on it anymore. Only the odd Tokyo Heroes release, who are on a hiatus now, so yea.

I have met some great people through Japanese music. I do only speak to a few of them regularly, but that's because I'm already struggling to keep my IRL social life alive with all the stuff I'm busy with.

I guess so. It made me try out more diverse genres of music, and partially led me to where my music taste is at the moment. I started studying Japanese 5 years ago, which I kept up for a little less than 2 years, but still.

My interests would hardly change at all without Japanese music. The ratio of Jap music to "Western" music I listen to nowadays is about 1:8 or so.

I am already listening to a lot of Post-Punk, New Wave, Goth, Darkwave and so on. I am sure I'd find plenty of good music to listen to if I didn't have any japanese bands. My life wouldn't really change that drastically, only my music taste and my music library.

Between 2004 and 2006 I was a giant weeb, but now I am not that much interested into learning japanese and dress trve Veekay everyday. I still style myself, but not necessarily VK. But it's really fun to dress up "old skewl" some times and emulate old cheesy 90s VK make up. But I really suck at the hairstyling, have no money for decent clothes, can't sew for shit, so…
VK does however influence my crappy art, if that counts (I like to draw androgynous guys with lots of make up and wearing latex *cough*). But I think nothing would drastically change without japanese music in my life.

Not really, since I am broke and therefore don't buy so many releases. I only have maybe 2 bands I spend money on, all my other CDs have been bought second hand (for way less money). Most of my music is digital, but then most of the bands I listen to aren't active anymore.

Yeah, I have met people online through it. I am however very lame and inactive and so we do not talk as often. ;__; I don't really know anyone in real life or my environment listening to japanese music though and I mostly keep it for myself too.

My 13 year old self would probably say "Yes, it's da bestest thing on da world, fuck mainstream muzak! Long live JAPAN!!!" But I have grown out of that phase. I certainly like to read about japanese customs and I think the language is beautiful. But I genereally find other cultures fascinating and it's always nice to learn about other people and their language. Unfortunately I am a noob at learning languages and I am glad enough that I can express myself to a certain degree in English.
If I hadn't come into contact with VK I would have still known about Japan and become a weeb, simply because I was an Anime and Manga fan already before discovering the music. Also I was in a class with at least 3 other Anime fans and we all were great and pathetic weebs.

Can't really say that it opened up my life. It's just music. And I don't read Japanese, so most of the time I had no fucking clue about the content of the songs. It wasn't until maybe 2007 or 2008 that I started to search for some translations. Also in my opinion japanese music is just music and music from any country can have insightful lyrics or speak to you on an emotional level. I don't see how japanese music is more special or different in this. But for me personally music is inspiring, escapistic and just enjoyable.

I remember reading this thread a while back and wanted to reply, even if I am a bit late. So, here I go:

I really believe I'd still be listening to the small amount of British/Rock pop and rock I had listened to about 2 or 3 years ago. It doesn't seem like such a long time, and I don't exactly want to be called a 'weebo' since I read somewhere that only listening to Japanese music would make you be labelled one but having listened to it, I just can't feel anything special for the bands I used to listen to in America/Britain. I can't even hear the English anymore in English speaking songs now. xD I feel like if I didn't enter into the VK scene, I wouldn't dress in the way I am. I don't dress that out there, but I purposely and unsubconciously (sometimes, I guess) dress differently compared to those around me because I want to feel individual in a way. If I didn't see the way VK musicians dressed, I feel like I wouldn't try doing anything different with my style. I only hope to dress even more out there, and end up looking like Meto or something. xD

I don't want to sound neutural or negative at this part, but trying to face and answer this sounds a bit tricky. I feel like I enjoy Japanese music on a whole much more than anything else I've ever listened to. It's made me even more interested in Japan, looking up things like even artists/painters or smaller areas of the country. I've always thought, without music, I'll literally be wasting my day doing nothing at all. I feel at peace listening to music, and even better being able to talk to others about it now after having joined. I feel A LOT more confident about myself because, like I said above, about dressing up, I think of a few VK artists as my role models. And I want to continue being more confident in being the person I want to be through this. I want to try more things like my favourite musicians do and, eventually, accept that not everyone are bad like I've been afraid of thinking and believing.

I used to purchase as many records I could on iTunes, but the recent ones I want and have found over here are so expensive, my mother will ban me from her account after I purchase just one. I MUCH prefer having a physical copy of an album, and I know their are websites that you can order from overseas, but I'm not lying when I say my mother is very strict with money, and she always says buying from somewhere else would be far too expensive. So I just get tracks from YouTube or different sites I can find, since I want to join in and understand when someone talks about a particular band/singer. I really do believe, if you're also a fan, then you're sure to say it's plain worth it. It's the same with every hobby/love, I believe doing the thing you enjoy most is just worth your time and money and enjoyment.

Having started on here, Tumblr and Last.fm, I feel like I am able to make friends who enjoy the same music I do finally. I know no one in real life who likes Japanese music. I only had a friend who knew about Korea's pop groups, that was the closest I got to having a friend who enjoyed Asian music. But I feel like I might be able to have irreplaceable friends on here, hopefully. I just want to chat about Asian music and learn more about it from others.

Like I answered in the second quesiton, it certainly has! After speaking with a career advicer, she told me if I have an interest in Japanese music, I should expand on it to help me out with my CV and future job hunting. So I now enjoy reading books by Japanese authors, trying to learn a bit of Japanese, and look at the culture and art. I definitely wouldn't have ventured into this in a wider way if I didn't start listening to it, that's for sure.

Note: beware of the typos.. ><

I'd still listen to 80s stuff, rock, glam, goth, i have from being really young. I still do from time to time. Japanese rock is the only modern rock i like. And because ive always liked the styles of glam and goth, i liked visual kei. Plus at school/college i studied fashion design, make up and photography.

I always thought i was born too late, but as the years pass i think i was born too early now.

I actually dont have any friends into japanese music, any offers? lol

Ive always been interested in travel and languages but it has made me want to visit Japan more.

It definitely changed my musical life so to speak. Since getting into it, I've gotten into genres and other countries' music that I would have never even bothered with before Japanese music.  I never had a huge range of taste before, but it was probably based on exposure since in Murrica, everything is so divided by genres, but especially 10+ years ago.  Further, I got back into genres that I'd abandoned before due to their increasing crappitude.

Also met a ton of people through it, etc.

I was in a musical wasteland right before getting into Japanese music.  Sick of nu-metal, kinda into goth, mostly not listening to anything at all because I was bored of it all lol.

Only benefits I can see is not spending 40 bucks on a CD and probably being into things that people IRL have heard of, but those are pretty negligible from my pov. 

I'm not sure. Probably bands like Blur and Garbage and singers like Alanis Morrisette whom I listen from time to time. I am so pleased by what Japan offers as a whole that it is hard for me to imagine my world without Visual Kei and other music from Japan.