Champ213

The Folk Metal Thread

For those who care about garbage and thought Woods of Ypres died:

"David I. Ypres WOODS OF YPRES quit/ended/broke up: totally false. It never really happened. WOODS OF YPRES signed to Earache Records: true. Earache will release W5, we will tour...we've already started initial work and planning for a W6. There will be LOTS more! I am still in the desert: True (for now). More news soon! DG - \w/"

22minutes ago

Lulz!

I like WoY. I'm good friends with DG actually. I admire the fact that he's actually getting WoY on a label, as he's done rather well releasing independantly, which he's been doing for years.

I don't know David Gold, but judging from what he posts on last.fm as well as interviews he's way too butthurt and high on himself. It's just fuckin' hilarious!

He takes his music seriously, a tad big too seriously but he's a cool dude when it comes to outside of music.

Not to mention, he's pretty much funded every aspect of WoY himself and that's even caused him to move to Kuiwat and work which made him unhappy but he had to do it.

TURISAS will release the highly anticipated 3rd album “Stand Up And Fight” on the following dates:

Europe: January 31st, 2011

Yes please.

Yeah, I saw that yesterday. Finally. :D

And even better, they'll do a tour in spring 2011, and the first date so far is my hometown Cologne. I'm so gonna be there. Especially since this time they actually chose a co-act I'm at least somewhat interested in (Die Apokalyptischen Reiter). Their last co-acts included Dragonforce and Dimmu Borgir, who I don't care for at all.

Turisas actually had a couple of decent tracks on their debut, and their cover of the legendary Rasputin was good. Other than that there's not much to jump around for.

Read about that a couple of days ago, nice to hear some progress still might have to wait a little bit, but I don't mind really.

Yay for double posts!

There's a new Moonsorrow song on Youtube too.

NtALnsA9EW4

Never really listened to them much, but this sounds pretty great.

(inb4 "Moonsorrow aren't folk metal!" - oh wait, sumostig is no longer around.)

Oh shit, new Moonsorrow too!?

That song is beastly, I sense a folk metal addiction coming along again. Their album is going to be INSANE, I think I read that one of the tracks is 30 minutes long.

yea that song is fucking killer.. and just make me want the album more, but yea I need to preorder like rite now :)

Eluveitie is actually coming to play near me. SHould be able to go. :D

they're playing kinda near to me too... just a state away.. which isn't that far considering it could be a whole lot further. I jumped on those tickets quickly :D now i just have to wait a month and half :|

Never been a fan of Moonsorrow but that's indeed pretty good. + There's something cool about the album cover.

*pokes head in*

Hello everybody! I'm new-ish around here...

I have a question for anybody who's been to a folk metal concert before. I'm going to see Ensiferum and Finntroll next month and I have no idea what to expect. Will I have to show up 12 hours early for a good spot in the front like I would for a J-rock concert? Or are folk metal fans not quite that zealous? How violent are the crowds, generally? Stuff like that.

I don't know if you have to arrive early... I know I never did, but then again I never aimed to be in the front row. Arriving 12 hours early seems to be rather extreme though.

And you can surely expect head-banging and a certain amount of commotion in the front, just as with all metal or hard rock concerts. I suppose you could youtube a few live videos of those bands to have a look at what to expect.

Personally, and this goes for all concerts, I usually prefer a place in the front 1/3, but a bit shifted to the left or right. You can see well enough and are still part of the experience, but not necesarrily in the most violent parts of the crowd and you can leave quickly if it gets too much. But that's just me.

Either way, I'll think you be fine. If you are really worried about a good place arrive a bit early, but you don't have to stand there from early sunrise.

Depends alot on the country, and it's drinking laws :mrgreen:

Usually metal crowds i've seen have been pretty laid back and if you really like the band you have no problem getting in front even if you arrive late ( depends on the size of the venue of course. ). For a folk metal concert i don't think anybody is going to die even if they end up in the center, though sometimes surprises may happen.

Thanks guys! The only concert I've been to so far was a VAMPS concert. I stood in line for 8 hours and ended up somewhere in the middle of the crowd. It's nice to know I won't have to be so extreme for this one (especially considering it's in the middle of winter instead of summer). :)

i've seen

Ensiferum

Finntroll

Moonsorrow

all several times

aswell as Wintersun (not really folk as stated above)

but stuff like Elvenking (not really folk, but has some elements)

and In Extremo (same as elvenking)

just really party music most of the time=)

Finntroll still had the big fat singer when i saw them, i also saw their first gig with the current singer at Wacken, but man dont like him at all, also stopped listening to them since then

Ensiferum however i still listen a lot, always fun

Moonsorrow, dont know stopped listening somewhereXD