Sign in to follow this  
Wicked Teletubby

DIR EN GREY - TOUR14 PSYCHONNECT -Mode Of "GAUZE"?-

The concert heavily features videos from their Gauze era, including clips from the PVs of the songs they're playing. Always careful to avoid shots of the bandmembers, though. The only time they actually showed old band footage (during MASK) the bandmembers faces were all censored out. As intro they are using the Gauze -mode of adam- music and the video for it. 

It showed that its been a while since they performed many of these songs, now that I re-evaluate a bit, I'm not sure if the band actually felt "bored" about any of the tracks, but rather weren't used to it, because the delivery on the new song was also a little bit stiff. I'll report again a bit later in the tour to see if this has passed by then. 

Kyo were struggling with some microphone issues early in the concert but it was resolved during raison detre.

Info on the new track:

New song starts off with a atmospheric short intro with acoustic guitar, then goes into a complex and pretty rapid exchange between heavy tremolo picking reminiscient of black metal mixed with some punk-esque stuff and some short phases of more DSS sounds and also sections that sounds quite Gauze-y with clean guitars. Has a decently short guitar solo. There's no harsh vocals at all in the song. It's roughly three minutes long.

First impression is that they tried to squeeze a little too much stuff into a too short timeframe, but I'm sure it'll grow on me during the tour, the guitarwork is some of the best they've done so far, I like how its more riffing (BM style) than chugging.

Oh oops, WT appeared to post those new tour pics before me, thanks. 

Also - to add to WB's description, the new song had some piano according to Japanese netizens (apparently) - and it "felt more like Die's song than Kaoru's" 

It's in the "atmospheric intro" I was talking about, should've specified the piano.

Also, I just realized but the fast riffing parts could be compared a bit to the tremolo sections of the kiri to mayu remake, perhaps.

8/13 mode:27 【福岡県】 Zepp Fukuoka

01. GAUZE -Mode Of Adam-

02. Schweinの椅子 / Schwein No Isu

03. Raison Detre

04. Cage

05. LOTUS (Symphonic Ver.)

06. SUSTAIN THE UNTRUTH

07. 輪郭 / Rinkaku

08. 304号室、白死の桜 / 304 Goushitsu, Hakushi No Sakura

09. アクロの丘 / Akuro No Oka

10. Mazohyst Of Decadence

11. ゆらめき / Yurameki

12. MASK

13. 蜜と唾 / Tsumi To Batsu (GAUZE Ver.)

14. THE FINAL

15. 残 (2009 Ver.) / Zan (2009 Ver.)

Encore

16. 予感 / Yokan

17. *New Song

18. 蒼い月 / Aoi Tsuki

19. 羅刹国 / Rasetsukoku

20. 激しさと、この胸の中で絡み付いた灼熱の闇 / Hageshisa To, Kono Mune No Naka De Karamitsuita Shakunetsu No Yami

It was original tsumi to batsu, which is rapidly becoming a all time live favorite track.

Also, I feel like this concert kind of confirmed my theory about them just being rusty when it came to the old tracks, everyone on stage seemed more into it today in general. Other than that very similar to the Tokyo show (of course).

The new song is also developing a bit, the drum pattern has gotten slightly more elaborate since the first show. Will be interesting to follow if more will happen.

8/15 mode:28 【愛知県】 Zepp Nagoya

01. GAUZE -Mode Of Adam-

02. ゆらめき / Yurameki

03. MASK

04. 凌辱の雨 / Ryoujoku No Ame

05. かすみ / Kasumi

06. DIFFERENT SENSE

07. Cage

09. アクロの丘 / Akuro No Oka

11. Raison Detre

12. Schweinの椅子 / Schwein No Isu

14. 蒼い月 / Aoi Tsuki

15. SUSTAIN THE UNTRUTH

Encore

16. 予感 / Yokan

17. *New Song 2 (different from previous one)

18. CLEVER SLEAZOID

19. 激しさと、この胸の中で絡み付いた灼熱の闇 / Hageshisa To, Kono Mune No Naka De Karamitsuita Shakunetsu No Yami

20. 残 (2009 Ver.) / Zan (2009 Ver.)

Was a great show in general, the setlist was quite different compared to the other shows so far, which I enjoyed.

I'll post a more detailed description of the new song as soon as possible, but its chaotic and has a ton of changes, even moreso than the previous new song... From a first impression, I wasn't as impressed by this one.

8/16 mode:29 【愛知県】 Zepp Nagoya

01. GAUZE -Mode Of Adam-

03. Raison Detre

04. Cage

05. THE FINAL

06. SUSTAIN THE UNTRUTH

07. 輪郭 / Rinkaku

09. Mazohyst Of Decadence

10. 蜜と唾 / Tsumi To Batsu (2011 Ver.)

11. アクロの丘 / Akuro No Oka

12. ゆらめき / Yurameki

13. MASK

14. 蜜と唾 / Tsumi To Batsu (GAUZE Ver.)

Encore

16. 予感 / Yokan

17. *New Song 1

18. 蒼い月 / Aoi Tsuki

19. 羅刹国 / Rasetsukoku

20. 激しさと、この胸の中で絡み付いた灼熱の闇 / Hageshisa To, Kono Mune No Naka De Karamitsuita Shakunetsu No Yami

It's been awhile since they last premiered more than two one song like months (~3 1/2 - 4) before the actual album release, hmmm.

(I think the last time such occasion happened was months before Glass Skin/Uroboros release when they played BOTH Stuck Man (as "Third Time Does the Trick") and Glass Skin on the same day)

edit: about the new song  2-> reports 1 and reports 2

So, as WB already mentioned - (if my poor Japanese understanding serves well) it will be a lot more chaotic and aggressive than the first new song + will showcase Kyo's various vocal characteristics - and some people even compared the build to what was in Sukekiyo's Vandal.

I hate gaps between tourdates.

8/20 mode:30 【大阪府】 なんばHatch

01. GAUZE -Mode Of Adam-
03. Raison Detre
04. Cage
05. 業 / KARMA
06. 蒼い月 / Aoi Tsuki
07. SUSTAIN THE UNTRUTH
09. Mazohyst Of Decadence
10. 蜜と唾 / Tsumi To Batsu (2011 Ver.)
11. アクロの丘 / Akuro No Oka
12. ゆらめき / Yurameki
13. MASK
14. 蜜と唾 / Tsumi To Batsu (GAUZE Ver.)
    Encore
16. 予感 / Yokan
17. *New Song 1
18. CLEVER SLEAZOID
19. THE FINAL

8/21 mode:31 【大阪府】 なんばHatch

01. GAUZE -Mode Of Adam-

02. ゆらめき / Yurameki

03. MASK

04. 凌辱の雨 / Ryoujoku No Ame

05. かすみ / Kasumi

06. DIFFERENT SENSE

07. Cage

09. アクロの丘 / Akuro No Oka

11. Raison Detre

12. Schweinの椅子 / Schwein No Isu

14. 蒼い月 / Aoi Tsuki

15. SUSTAIN THE UNTRUTH

Encore

16. 予感 / Yokan

17. *New Song 2

18. 羅刹国 / Rasetsukoku

19. 激しさと、この胸の中で絡み付いた灼熱の闇 / Hageshisa To, Kono Mune No Naka De Karamitsuita Shakunetsu No Yami

20. 残 (2009 Ver.) / Zan (2009 Ver.)

Sign in to follow this