blackdoll

アルルカン (Arlequin)

You guys took many words from my mouth.. This album is a good packaging of the sound they have so far, but adds virtually nothing. It kind of ends before I can even get into it .

Maybe this would have served better as a 6-8 song mini album...?

I like it because they have not released enough songs for this to be repetitive and boring (Take for example Deathgaze). However, I guess they would need to change direction in the future to keep me as a fan. But they are a pretty new band as well aren't they? So, well.. So far I am loving them. And I really enjoy the album because I love their sound.

I like it because they have not released enough songs for this to be repetitive and boring

mehh thats more for grieva to me

I really love their new album. They're such a promising band, I really hope they'll keep it up for a while without dropping members or suddenly disbanding. 

I think that I have come to the conclusion that they really need a new vocalist for me to enjoy Arlequin. I mean, his normal singing voice isn't bad, but I wouldn't call it good either...but that's not the problem. Dear god his screams are soooo bad imo. Listening to stuff like missing, which is would be an enjoyable song (though it sounds like they are trying to ape lynch.), I just can't handle it anymore with the vocalists sound, it has the quality to it as like a bad inward scream. I just can't.

See, I would say Aki has a strong voice and carries his melodies well. On the other hand there is really no flourish to his singing at all, if he could develop a consistent vibrato it would do him wonders. For example in Ano Mado ni Osowatta Koto on the new album, there are some drawn out notes in the verse where you can kind of feel him going for it but produces only the slightest undulation at the end. It's not totally necessary but if I were him it is the first thing I would work on.

I actually like Aki's inhaled screaming, I think his annunciation is impressive for what he's doing but it is VERY monotonous and causes all of his screaming sections to sound the same (kind of like his clean singing... >_> )

I can see he's got these deficits piling against him, but IMO a few small changes to his routine could flesh him out easily..

I think that I have come to the conclusion that they really need a new vocalist for me to enjoy Arlequin. I mean, his normal singing voice isn't bad, but I wouldn't call it good either...but that's not the problem. Dear god his screams are soooo bad imo. Listening to stuff like missing, which is would be an enjoyable song (though it sounds like they are trying to ape lynch.), I just can't handle it anymore with the vocalists sound, it has the quality to it as like a bad inward scream. I just can't.

That's always been my problem with Arlequin. His vocals are OK and all but they also don't particularly fit the songs that I have heard. I think he'd do better in a different band, and the band could benefit from another vocalist.

I also came to the conclusion "they're probably way more enjoyable live," and I was right about that too. They put on a really great performance. But while I want to see them live again, I'm iffy about buying their CDs. 

the more I'm listening his clean vocals, the more he reminds me of Sou (ex-23q and remming). I agree for the screaming, it's really bad, he should work on that.

in this moment is one of my favorite band, I love you from the first moment you listen to them

"Eseringo" is by far one of my favorite songs but in general, I like all their songs

On 28/9/2017 at 3:27 AM, RedxDesire said:

in this moment is one of my favorite band, I love you from the first moment you listen to them

"Eseringo" is by far one of my favorite songs but in general, I like all their songs

same here! i like all their songs! also Kiryu, Virge and Noulla same <3 

It's pretty quiet on here! What are your thoughts on the band's output overall? I only had Near Equal until recently and wow, I was missing out on some amazing tracks. However I'm not convinced by the direction they're going in. Does anyone else feel the same? 😕

Pre-Near Equal = Awesome. They're clearly finding their sound but this resulted in a lot of good experimentation. 

Near Equal = A few decent tracks but otherwise meh. 

Pre-Utopia = Lots of experimental, harsh tracks, and some of the strongest singles to date. 

Utopia = Same as above. The title track was a bit meh but this was a huge step up from Near Equal. 

Post-Utopia = Er...where did the screaming go? Most of the singles sound generic and even the B-sides seem to have lost their charm. 

5 hours ago, 狂気の涙 said:

Apparantly Aki’s voice is not that well nowadays and in the BLESS album there was barely any screaming... But I do love their songs and シオンremains my fav till now despite not having the screaming bits 

Ahhhhh that makes sense :(

Although Aki screams less their music got better. They are experimenting and somehow blow me away everytime (especially the newest releases BLESS and exist, they are so good!) 

Definitely one of my most favorite bands ever! 

I have just discovered them lately, but I love their music. 

Whenever Aki screams all I can picture is squeezing a bottle of lube or something down his throat because it sounds so dry and painful. It got worse on the recent releases, but I still love their music. 

I'm not a huge fan of too much screaming as well. 

I mean there are songs where it is matching pretty well, but there is no need to force it either. :'D

Edited by Koumori

Their official youtube posted their whole 1st anniversary one man performance! (it's up for a limited time only)

8,500 views in four days, that's pretty cool.