Peace Heavy mk II

Upcoming Release Thread

I think this is quite doable, I remember the old thread we used to have on TW was rather useful. The best thing would be to have someone take care of the thread (keeping it tidy and manageable) and someone else to update the calendar system with new releases as they're updated within the thread.

I'll mention this to the rest of the staff and see if we can't make something happen ^_^

The old thread was maintained by kodomia, but I don't think they are around anymore.

Ideally, people would use the calendar. As fas as I know, everyone can add events to the release calendar (and if not, we can certainly make it that way.) The advantage of the calender are that it doesn't depend on one person to keep it updated. But people just seem to forget the calender exists. XD

If someone wants to volunteer to make a new thread, and keep it updated, that would of course be great. The way the old thread worked was that everyone could post it in, but one person (the topic starter) had to maintain the first post, by adding the information from that thread and other news threads. The staff can also have an eye on the thread and help to keep it updated, but ideally one person is primarily responsible for it. If they are feeling very eager, they could even add them to the calender as well.

So if someone wants to pick up the excellent work by kodomia again, I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate it. If not, we may have to find a way to make more people aware of the calender function and how to use it.

I personally think the calendar makes maintaining a thread obsolete. A thread requires more work on the part of one person to keep tidy and is less clear. The calendar is more intuitive when it comes to determining what day releases fall on.

I tweaked some settings for the calendar and tested it with a dummy account to verify if it works, so you should be able to create events now. In addition to that, I also enabled the ability to rate and comment on events. I don't know if these features will be used but it will be nice to have.

I also renamed the calendar link as the release list instead, to make it stand out more. You can still switch between the release list and the birthday calendar, but I think that hardly any members used the calendar for that purpose anyway.

I made a short guide how to add events to the calender (it's really easy, but maybe some people were unsure), and made an announcement about it! Maybe that will get things rolling. :D

Just one thing to ask, is there any way to change how the date is displayed? Because the members in here come from different parts of the world and not everyone uses mm/dd/yy or dd/mm/yy. Wouldn't yyyy/mm/dd be more logical, if it can be changed?

EDIT: Oops I forgot to say: that sidebar on the main page looks so cool :D

Edited by paradoxal

Apparently there is the option to switch the date format, but oddly enough it only seems to affect how the date is displayed in the input mask. Once you entered it, it switches back to the mm/dd/yyyy format and it displays like that in the sidebar too.

I might have to look closer at the code to see why this happens...

Just a personal suggestion, but I think it is a good idea to make the release list on the Main Page have a scroll bar, so that it doesn`t stretch out the main page so far and bump down the stuff below it.

Like right now there is a ton of releases, and maybe it would be neater if it just showed something like 5-10 and you scroll down to see the rest.

Just my opinion, maybe it is hard to implement though.

Nope, a scrollbar is not a feature that can be enabled for the sideboxes, sorry. I tweaked the settings a bit so that the calender shows less days in advance.

If it still bothers you, you can always collapse the box (or any of the other boxes for that matter). For example, I always have the "popular tags" box collapsed, as I don't need to see it every time I'm on the index page. I only open it when I actually want to search for a tag.  

Another thing crossed my mind too!

I think it would be super cool if instead of every single release having that "Release list" label, they would all be labeled accordingly to the release type, just like they're labeled in the Download section. I don't know if it's even possible, I just think it would look awesome :D

That's also not possible. The release list tag signifies what calendar the event is recorded on. If we were to change it to reflect the type, we'd have to keep a separate calendar for each type of release and have them all updated accordingly. That's way too much work.

That's also not possible. The release list tag signifies what calendar the event is recorded on. If we were to change it to reflect the type, we'd have to keep a separate calendar for each type of release and have them all updated accordingly. That's way too much work.

Ah okay I understand, sounds like way too much trouble.