Sign in to follow this  
Zeus

ALDIOUS - Other World

some_text
Artist: Aldious
Album: Other World
Score: :4.0:
Another consistent release from my galaxy metal all-female guilty pleasure.

Finding an all-female metal band that I like is a taxing process, and Aldious is the only one that scratches that itch of mine. Sure, I don't have to leave the country to find exist†trace and DANGER☆GANG, but they aren't in the same league. Not only do these ladies know how to wield those axes, they look damn fashionable while doing it too! In terms of raw talent, it's hard to compete with these ladies. Due to their impeccable consistency ever since DEEP EXCEED, I always find myself sampling their newest work. Even though their latest album is already out (which I'll get around to at some point I promise), I tend to opt for the singles first because it's faster for me to get through.

Even though Aldious is consistent, they don't stray outside their comfort zone too much. The single version of Other World is indicative of that. It's the standard Aldious power metal single material affair that I've come to gobble up time and time again. It's not bad per se, but I do get a feeling that I've heard a variant of this track before, especially in the bit that starts around 0:12. However, complaining about a power metal band making power metal music is like complaining about the ocean being wet. Also, if I can't bring up an example of such rehashing, the point isn't all that valid so I'll leave that as a footnote for the reader to take as is.

What I will discuss is how Re:No has improved. District Zero was a solid album instrumentally, but her shaky vocal performance killed any chance of that album reaching legendary status. I can finally say that she's surpassed Rami for me in terms of fitting in with the band. The rest of the band needs no mentioning, as this band has always been a notch above average even on their worst days and that does not change here. If anything, they've tightened up their skills and sound better than ever. Another solid A-side here.

Dark is the biggest surprise for me, since it's one of the few times I've heard them try something new. It has a distinct alternative rock vibe to it, with a groovy riff, occasional wailing guitar riff that adds atmosphere to the track, and Re:No switching up the chorus to keep it interesting. I'm a little disappointed that it didn't end up on the album but I'm guessing it wouldn't have fit.

胸三寸is an acoustic ballad with what I think is a brass section. Yet another surprise here for this casual Aldious fan, since I can't recall them doing too many acoustic ballads. Re:No is the glue here and the lack of an instrumental version of this track is probably because it's boring to listen to without her. I like the brass and acoustic flourishes, but I'm not a fan of acoustic ballads so I don't know how many times I'll revisit this one. However, that's a personal gripe and doesn't reflect badly on the band.

This is the point where I say I'll look forward to the album but since I fell off a musical cliff these last seven months it's already here! If you've already beaten me to the punch but haven't listened to the single yet, it's worth checking out for Dark alone. Those looking to get into Aldious should check out DEEP EXCEED and District Zero while they're at it.

Sign in to follow this