Okay I have no idea whether a thread of this kind already exists, but if it does, a moderator can feel free to delete my topic. Though, I think I did search through at least this section of the forum and didn't find anything of sorts. It might be somewhere else but um... okay, just delete this if it's already somewhere out there, and please point me to that topic. Thank you.

So, to few the two-letter combination "LP" is already familiar, to those who it isn't, I'll explain it:

The letters LP come from the words Let's play, or Long play, meaning a recorded playthrough of a game. There are usually the players commentary involved, but not always. LPers, again, are, of course, Let's players or Long players - the people who play and record these games for an audience to watch.

Hail the era of youtube, when you don't have any gaming shows on TV anymore and actually have to go to youtube to find one. 

Probably the most well known LPer and a youtube icon is Pewdiepie. Go check that out if you need to.

So like, this is a topic where you can share your ideas about the whole phenomenon of LPing, share your favorite LPers and ask for similar kind of people on youtube you might enjoy, in case you've watched everything your favourite LPer has done and can't wait for another week to watch more. Easy there, gal, stay in your panties.

Until now I've followed quite strictly only 3 LPers:

Mangaminx - I started out with her. Can't even remember how and when, but I still keep following her videos. She has nice game choices. Too bad I don't enjoy co-op games that much, so recently she hasn't offered me as much as before.

Carnage - aka Mark. A bit less known LPer on this list, with only a couple of thousand subscribers. But he's hilarious! If you love an honest player who doesn't overreact to games and has a quirky, dark sense of humour, you'll love him. Apparently he also sounds like Stephen Merchant, so he's got that going for him. Also his jokes can be pretty sexist. And racist. And overall very offending to everyone.

Laeppavika - A Finnish gaming group. Every nerd in Finland knows about them. They're pretty iconic here, I'd say.

My recent finding is Cryaotic. I usually enjoy only British LPers (dunno why. The accent appeals to me, I guess), but this guy has an awesome voice. It's like fucking pissing honey on a bowl of melted dark chocolate. Divine. 

All these have in common the fact that when I have found them, they've at least partially concentrated on horror games. I really can't bother watching much other games... unless it's Laeppavika or Carnage, since then I'll be watching the LP because of the commentary, not because of the game. Most LPers just don't have what it takes to comment everything interestingly enough that the game doesn't matter anymore. I just love horror games, arite?

So, everyone's welcome to discuss about LPing and LPers here. Except Pewdiepie fans.  Ahhahaa just kidding, even Pewdiepie fans are welcome. It's not your fault that you have an awful taste and your LPer is a disgrace to the whole gaming community! NO! I mean..! I like pudding. See ya.

I prefer watching twitch for Let's plays... the live atmosphere is just so much more engaging and interesting.

I don't really like Pewdiepie either. I mean I respect him and what he has accomplished, but I cant stand is whole idiotic YT persona... which is a shame because I hear he's actually a very chill, nice, and intelligent person in real life when hes not recording.

One of my personal friends does one. Check out his channel if you can. He's been doing this for less than a year but the presentation is actually good, and that's coming from a cynical critic like me. XD

https://www.youtube.com/user/HantokiGaming

I'm not into Pewdiepie as well, and just as OriginalSaku said, I can't deal with his whiny commentaries but kudos to his achievements.

I actually like pewdie as long as he is playing a horror game. The others are overly forced. 

I only follow LPs with games I am familiar with or need an introduction. I kind of rely on TotalBiscuit for the second one as well as Pewdie to an extent and Gamefront. I have watched multiple LPs/playthroughs from beginning to end for Dark Souls:

EpicNameBro - very chill player plus is able to do Japanese translation for extra tidbits about the game such as developer interview, lost-in-translation item descriptions. I believe his work in Dark Souls is what allowed him to participate in the guide book for Dark Souls 2

Vageta311 - The guy to watch for hard mode LP... and he just demolishes the game.

Gamefroint/Gamefront Walkthrough - I have watched these guys ever since dark souls 1 came out. The success of the first playthrough of dark souls spawned the entire staff to basically take part in the whole souls series including Demon Souls. They do walkthrough/playthroughs of pretty much all the games but theirs is pretty much laid back and easy to just watch. There is only 2 guys nowadays, one is the average chill player that takes the game as is and the other is part time stand-up comedian that is willing to do extra challenges while playing the game. At the moment I am following their Dark Souls 2 *expert* walkthrough and it has guests from other stand-up comedians. 

I actually like pewdie as long as he is playing a horror game. The others are overly forced. 

But you gotta admit his reactions to even the simplest horror games are overacted. No one screams like that just from a jumpscare. That makes me dislike him. True that some people like to see "funny" reactions to horror games, but my personal preference is just the natural interaction between the game and the player instead of just the entertainment.

That's why I probably love Carnage so much, because he often, and I believe intentionally, mocks Pewdiepie for overacting. He gets through a jumpscare and might say a single 'Fuck' somewhere if even that and then continue with: "Oh, was I supposed to scream there? Wait, wait, let me do it again." and then comes an underacted scream. I think that's hilarious. :D

My favorite LPers are probably VideoGamesAwesome. I think that their setup is one of the best LPer setups out there and they usually have 4-5 people, so you get to see multiplayer/co-op modes that other LPers don't always cover. (Oh and the cosplays that Becky makes are usually really awesome as well!)

Other than that... I enjoy Laeppavika, even if I don't always understand what the hell they're saying XD

But you gotta admit his reactions to even the simplest horror games are overacted. No one screams like that just from a jumpscare. That makes me dislike him. True that some people like to see "funny" reactions to horror games, but my personal preference is just the natural interaction between the game and the player instead of just the entertainment.

That's why I probably love Carnage so much, because he often, and I believe intentionally, mocks Pewdiepie for overacting. He gets through a jumpscare and might say a single 'Fuck' somewhere if even that and then continue with: "Oh, was I supposed to scream there? Wait, wait, let me do it again." and then comes an underacted scream. I think that's hilarious. :D

Which game are you referring to? I haven't watched anything from him in a while. My last one was the baby game.

From the one's I watched, I was just as scared as he was. So I commend him for playing the games I wouldn't play at all.

Which game are you referring to? I haven't watched anything from him in a while. My last one was the baby game.

From the one's I watched, I was just as scared as he was. So I commend him for playing the games I wouldn't play at all.

I think it was one of his Amnesia custom stories? I mean, Amnesia is scary but... not that scary, honestly. I've had my heart racing and a pillow pressed against my face, and I've been whimpering like a little bitch while playing it and I quit in the middle, but I have never ever screamed like a girl in a bad slasher horror film. That's overacting.

I think it was one of his Amnesia custom stories? I mean, Amnesia is scary but... not that scary, honestly. I've had my heart racing and a pillow pressed against my face, and I've been whimpering like a little bitch while playing it and I quit in the middle, but I have never ever screamed like a girl in a bad slasher horror film. That's overacting.

You couldn't scream because you were hiding on the other side of the room with a pillow to your face saying "nope nope nope nope nope" XD

You couldn't scream because you were hiding on the other side of the room with a pillow to your face saying "nope nope nope nope nope" XD

That is besides the point, good sir. :P I just said I never screamed. I muffled my manly groans into a pillow.

I follow mostly a bunch of Minecraft LPs, although they usually play some other games as well. :3 For me Minecraft is the perfect game for LPs, as it has no storyline that can be spoiled. Instead each LetsPlayer can give them their own narrative. But if one of my favourite Lpers plays any other game I'll check it out too. I mostly skip LPs of AAA titles though, esepcially if they are heavily storybased, because I don't want to be spoiled in case I ever want to play the game myself. (And I rarely play a game until it's 1 or 2 years old.)

My favourite LetsPlayers definetely are Vintage Beef (one of the best Minecraft LPs - he's funny, not screamy, very creative and always positive without being hyper) and Kurt J. Mac (not so much Minecraft anymore, but a very interesting mix of weird indie games, older games, racing sims, space-related games and other stuff - plus the guy is just hilarious.)

lol then just let pewdie scream the scream that nobody else would. Let him scream for you or in my case scream together.

Well I only explained why I don't prefer Pewdiepie. You can like him, that's fine. I just don't. :3

I really only keep up with the Retsupurae boys (slowbeef, Diabetus, Chip etc.) and their various projects. In the Retsupurae format they riff on bad Kickstarter pitches, bad LPs (though not so much anymore, as their fanbase is as retarded as any other and started harassing people), odd/weird flash games and odd/weird/obscure videogames. On their own they LP many different games.

Aside from those guys I mainly only follow Raocow, who mostly plays Mario or Megaman-related games. I'd say Diabetus is my favorite out of all of those I keep up with, just 'cause he's so goddamn chill. His Mario Galaxy 2 LP is pretty damn great.

I personally can't stand LPers in the style of Pewdiepie or the Game Grumps or any of their billion imitators, it comes off as too insincere/too "marketed" somehow. Also they're usually obnoxiously loud as hell, which is more cringe-inducing than anything

Guest MollyMouse

I rather like Lilypichu, though she mostly plays LoL , when shes gaming that is lol well on YT xD

Not really a let's player but there's this up and coming youtube user named Rabbit's Respawn who posts a lot of great skill gameplay videos of him accomplishing some pretty amazing feats...

some pretty impressive stuff that makes me wish I was that good... he's pretty hilarious too :P

I've watched videos from a few different ones, but my favourite is definitely Mangaminx. Her commentary makes me smile, and she really gets into the story of each game - it's kind of charming how well her twisted sense of humour matches some of the stuff she plays. She also reads the dialogue out loud during text-heavy games, so I can follow the story when I'm multi-tasking, and I'm basically always doing something else when I watch LPs.

Plus I only really like to watch people play adventure and horror games, which are the main genres she does.

Pewdiepie is aggravating to listen to. For horror games check out Pyscadelicsnake on YouTube. His Silent Hill playthroughs are hilarious.