Maiku

What are you reading?

oxford handbook of modern irish history

germany - 2000 years

literary history of ireland

geschichte der deutschen literatur

Sadly it's been harder and harder to find time to actually immerse myself in any quality reading since I got my new job, but hopefully things will pan out soon. I'm making my way through the Hungarian edition of Patti Smith's Kids achingly slowly, but enjoying every page of it. I had already read the book in English before but got the translated volume as a gift from a dear friend, so I figured now is the time to delve into it again ('now' being, like, two weeks ago and I'm only halfway through lol). Before reading this book I only knew Patti as a singer-songwriter and never imagined she would be such an excellent literary author. Her writing is very genuine, wholesome and lyrical (but not on the artsy end of the spectrum). Good stuff.

Trying very hard to actually finish reading Osamu Dazai's "No Longer Human", because I realized that I started to understand it better than I used to in uni. Though, I think the reason I had treated so lightly back then was because I had to study it and not actually enjoy it. But, the sad part is that I don't have as much time to analyse and devour books like I had back then :(. 

Edited by Triangle

8 hours ago, Triangle said:

Trying very hard to actually finish reading Osamu Dazai's "No Longer Human", because I realized that I started to understand it better than I used to in uni. Though, I think the reason I had treated so lightly back then was because I had to study it and not actually enjoy it. But, the sad part is that I don't have as much time to analyse and devour books like I had back then :(. 

Wasn't he a Maoist?

Or am I getting that wrong?

32 minutes ago, Azaeroe said:

Wasn't he a Maoist?

Or am I getting that wrong?

Honestly I don’t remember hearing about this. But since he got involved in the Japanese Communism Party and was low-key interested in Marxism during his younger times, I guess Maoism wouldn’t have surprised anymore XD

Short attention span so I like trying a bunch of different things at once.

Currently:

I Moved to Los Angeles to Work in Animation by Natalie Nourigat (informative and fun)

Though You May Burn to Ash vol. 1 by Kakashi Oniyazu (brutal and not particularly good)

Anatomy of a Metahuman by S.D. Perry and Matthew K. Manning (entertaining book guessing at how the bodies of superheroes and villains work, has some great illustrations).

Edited by daintypersnicketydingo

On 3/17/2019 at 8:42 AM, Triangle said:

Honestly I don’t remember hearing about this. But since he got involved in the Japanese Communism Party and was low-key interested in Marxism during his younger times, I guess Maoism wouldn’t have surprised anymore XD

If you think of No Longer Human as a thinly veiled biography and take his word for it, then probably not or at least not an ardent one lol. 

Anyways, in the middle of a Cioran reading project and what I have left are New Gods and Fall Into Time. Definitely prefer On The Heights and Tears and Saints to the later work, with History of Decay coming in as third. Cioran is coming out of my ears now so I'm refreshing myself by reading some poetry in Finnish so I started an Uuno Kailas project also.