Maiku

What are you reading?

Still on dat Lovecraft kick, slowly making my way through volume one. Finished Dorian, it wasn't too great to be honest.

Began reading Nova Express by William S. Burroughs. So far it's just as crazy as his other two 'cut-up novels', tho this is somewhat more... intelligible? lol. We'll see, there's still a lot to go. One thing's for sure, which is I'm always impressed by whatever weird stuff this guy came up with in the '60s (and beyond).

There's also a mighty fine hardcover compilation of old Conan the Barbarian comics that was recently released here in Hungary. Great to read one or two stories a day. Full of cheesy fantasy machismo and truly amazing visuals by multiple artists.

Some books I'll be reading in the coming week or two -

Briefe an einen jungen Dichter - Herr Rainer Maria Rilke

Some book on Jurisprudence

Felix Krull - Herr Thomas Mann

David Copperfield - Mister Charles Dickens

Dictung & Wahrheit - Herr Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Der Nomos der Erde im Völkerrecht des Jus Publicum Europaeum - Herr Carl Schmitt

Other authors I may read over the month -

Sehic

Bazdulj

Parvulescu

Sarotar

Flisar

Krecic

Thales

Thucydides

Sappho

Nonnos

Rhodius

Becoming by Michelle Obama (Audiobook)

Rereading Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by JK Rowling in english

Recently finished Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs which I bought not knowing it is a book series and now I'm mad. I told myself I'd start less book series and read more single volumes. Oops!

Just got (the Hungarian edition of) The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. by Neal Stephenson & Nicole Galland as a late Xmas gift from a friend and jumped right into it. It's super fun and readable! Crazy sci-fi involving secret organizations, magic and time-travelling. Quite a big volume too, at least compared to the length of books I usually read, so it's quite the task but no complaints if it remains this good, heh. I'm thinking of picking up Stephenson's The Diamond Age again after finishing this (I've had it for a long time but never really read more than half of it).

I'm also re-reading Mary Shelley's classic Frankenstein in a gorgeous Barnes & Noble edition. Still a great story.

still reading gaudeamus but would like to read insel by loy next

here are some quotes -

The purpose of life is not happiness, but rather heroic accomplishment. Every soul encompasses potential heroism, I thought. But every soul flickers for a few adolescent years with heroic visions, before resigning itself to mediocre values, before submitting to the lives of others, shrivelling & finally perishing. Why should I not be a soul, which no matter what the sacrifice required, attained heroism? Who could know? Perhaps I would be victorious in my pursuit of heroism. But then the victory itself would no longer have any meaning, but only the tireless striving toward it.

works & days, p60

ethics should crystallise as a result of lived experience

niska, p76

One who struggles with all his might to make certain spiritual values that greatly transcend the common spirituality become tangible, flourish & spread. One who goes beyond the human. One who renouces the way others live, in order to live ascetically, like a saint, all because he has sworn to achieve those things he has set out to do.

hermitage, p91 

Why should I not […] master the asceticism of universal erudition? Of course, it is not possible to master everything; but it is possible to gather & assimilate the essence of human genius. I will require five, ten, fifty years. And then I will be able to say: I have recreated myself, through assiduous labour, toiling in obscurity; I have transcended my species, because in my soul & mind are gathered together all the fruits of human labour; from whose seeds will grow forests, fields of crops, gardens.

mysteries, p117

no one finds salvation but the insane

nemesis, p148

I've had a dusty old Hungarian copy of Les Mots (The Words) by Jean-Paul Sartre so I thought why not read it. It's basically an autobiographical book focusing on his childhood. Can't say I'm thoroughly impressed but it has its moments. I'm about halfway through, but losing steam a bit.