Maiku

What are you reading?

Finished reading All the President's Men. Considering the current political climate (especially in the US), I thought it was an enlightening book to read.

Re-reading '1984' still just as chilling as ever, the idea of your own family giving you in still creeps me out.

Structure and Qur'anic Interpretation

Then, Greek history, Homer, a Roman architectural text, Roman history, Italian history, Herodotus, Thucydides, Plutarch, Petrarch biography, D'Annunzio biography, novels by D'Annunzio, Virgil's song of Aeneas, other Latin poets and non-Homeric Greek poets, such as Sappho and Nonnos.

Edited by Azaeroe

Reading Spring Snow by Yukio Mishima currently, and struggling with it a bit, lol. The protagonist is an asshat and not much exciting happened throughout the first 100 pages but I'll try to finish it.

9 hours ago, Jigsaw9 said:

Reading Spring Snow by Yukio Mishima currently, and struggling with it a bit, lol. The protagonist is an asshat and not much exciting happened throughout the first 100 pages but I'll try to finish it.

I found the lawyer interesting and the part about how modern Japanese law was formed - out of an amalgamation of Vedic and Roman law. As for the asshat comment, did you mean the protagonist's pretending to have visited a geisha? Also, do you plan on reading the whole of the tetralogy? I did not.

50 minutes ago, Azaeroe said:

I found the lawyer interesting and the part about how modern Japanese law was formed - out of an amalgamation of Vedic and Roman law. As for the asshat comment, did you mean the protagonist's pretending to have visited a geisha? Also, do you plan on reading the whole of the tetralogy? I did not.

I think it might just be that his whole way of thinking (or more like over-thinking things) irritates me. The geisha thing is a good example of that too, heh. Otherwise there are some really beautiful passages and interesting thoughts in the novel so far, but maybe it's just not my pace. I don't think I'll ever read the rest of the tetralogy, unless I somehow get to like the book more by the end... we'll see. :) 

A Tree or a Person or a Wall: Stories by Matt Bell, a short story collection full of rather dark and weird stuff. I can honestly say that occasionally the stories have been kinda hit and miss, but in general there are a lot of interesting ideas in this one. Recommended for anyone who enjoys their fiction weird, dark or a bit bleak.

...aaand of course I didn't have patience to finish Spring Snow, so stopped reading like 1/3 of the way through. No thanks.

Currently re-reading Aliens: Rogue by Sandy Schofield. Pure silly sci-fi/horror pulp, just what I need right now.

Currently slowly getting through a Hungarian edition of H. P. Lovecraft's 'complete works' (well, more or less complete), volume one. They gathered his writings together based on overall themes, so it's pretty interesting to read it this way, as opposed to a chronological order. I think I've read about half of his more popular oeuvre over the years but it's good to re-read and to have it collected like this.

I'm also reading Dorian by Will Self, which is a modern reimagining of the classic Oscar Wilde novel, transported into the 1980s and 1990s. I don't remember much of the particulars of the original but this one's supposed to follow it pretty closely, plotwise. As for the style, it's pretty easy to read and has some fun wittiness, but still not at the level of Wilde's of course. Not bad so far, tho nothing spectacular.