enyx

sukekiyo

Aftermath completely blew me away and then the rest of Immortalis was totally disappointing to me. 

Edited by Reiko

1 hour ago, Reiko said:

Aftermath completely blew me away and then the rest of Immortalis was totally disappointing to me. 

facts b

2 hours ago, Saishu said:

How the hell can anyone not like Zephyr? Especially that glorious chorus. 

same here. zephyr is my #1 track from that album. it's just perfect. 

i even like the remixed version by tk.

Immortalis blew me away, my favorites being the songs written by Uta, whereas Vitium had me like "???". It was just too calm and lacked something, still not a bad album, just nowhere near as good as Immortalis. 

Someone uploaded their recent show at Chofu City Green Hall and it's amazing. No dvd footage  does these guys justice though, saw them live in 2014 and it's like stepping into some really dark acid trip.

sukekiyo are the most pretentious band in recent memory but im happy kyo has a stick shoved 3 meters up his ass, there's a genuine sense of art behind them.  as much as they troll with insane merch (fuckin incense and 100 dollar poetry books) and 80 dollar singles, their fanbase eats it up and they sell themselves better than anyone else. i can't think of a band with such an immense image anywhere else, not in japanese music (gazette try hard tho) or in western music. the stage show reminds me of a really fashionable, gothic neurosis/sigur ros hybrid--so beautiful.

its a shame im not that crazy about the music

Edited by emmny

I absolutely love Sukekiyo, but the music is so heavy in terms of mood that it can be difficult to listen to. Especially Immortalis, which is damn near 80 minutes. I often find myself stopping it after Daemon's Cutlery and either taking a break and coming back or just not finishing it altogether. Vitium is a much easier listen though. One of my favorite releases from last year. 

Agreed. It took me a while to warm up to IMMORTALIS because I'm very iffy about long-ass albums, but it paid off. Beautiful and interesting stuff, I can always go back to it and re-discover it from time to time. VITIUM is a bit stronger to me tho, and also easier to digest length-wise, yeah. xD

since jig has warmed up to sukekiyo im here to confess i have too (a bit)

am i the only one here obsessed with mama? god that song's awesome.

i thought it was one of the best songs they put out so far, its on my (unpublished) 2015 best list

Their debut album is my favourite so far. They're great, kinda quench my thrist for 9GBO thirsts though not exactly them. :D

the second i stopped looking at them as an 9gbo/res replacement band i enjoyed it all a lot more LOL

On 14/04/2016 at 0:33 PM, Saishu said:

Mama might be the only track on Immortalis that I could do without. It's not a bad song, but it totally doesn't fit with the rest of the album. 

Strongly disagree, but maybe that's just me? I think it's really pretty, acting like a counterpoint to the similarly poppy zephyr on the back half of the album. In an LP that's so engaged with discord and dissonance, it's nice to have a few melodic songs here and there.

Immortalis could do without a great handful of songs really ("Hidden One", "Mama", "Hemimetabolism" which sounds more like a demo). The ordering is another aspect which requires tremendous improvement.

As much as I believe in what the band says about their work, Immortalis was nothing more but the "first session"-kind of compilation. It takes a lot of time from guys like them to get on the same wavelength (e.g. how vastly different Uta, Takumi and Yuchi's styles are). VITIUM is where they'd finally discover the "common language" to some extent, but that's just me.

Wait for 2 or 3 releases and perhaps we will get to digest the consistent "sukekiyo sound" for once.

Hemimetabolism and Uuyu no Sora are both songs that need to be experienced live to understand. If you haven't checked out the Persuasio Blu-ray, I highly recommend it.

Edit: Apologies. Hemimetabolism isn't on the Blu-ray! But it has a similar feel to Uuyu no Sora.

Edited by Nowhere Girl

Uuyu no Sora is also an entirely different beast when played live. Sukekiyo's shows are very much about being a visual experience, so Uuyu no Sora becomes this artsy performance piece. But as for the actual track itself, it's a bore to listen to. However, I also look at it as an album divider, as the songs before and after it are very different in terms of mood. It's almost like flipping over an LP. 

That said, "Mama" is on the wrong side of the album. While "Zephyr" is poppy, there's still a great sense of melancholy. "Mama" is almost dance-like, the sort of happy, bouncy thing VK bands end their live set with. Again, not a bad song, but weirdly out of place. 

I like to think of Immortalis as the album where Kyo's stuff,  9GBO and RES demo's were brought into the fold and spiced up to fit a general sound among the band.

Vitium is where i feel the band has begun to form what ever it is their style is and have come to realize that shorter releases are better. I can give that MINI so many more spins than i could IMMORTALIS in its entirety. Its perfect. 

Is it wrong that i hoped that Toshi would make a cameo in PERSUASIO? That collab was pretty rad.

On 4/16/2016 at 4:13 PM, Nowhere Girl said:

Hemimetabolism and Uuyu no Sora are both songs that need to be experienced live to understand. If you haven't checked out the Persuasio Blu-ray, I highly recommend it.

Edit: Apologies. Hemimetabolism isn't on the Blu-ray! But it has a similar feel to Uuyu no Sora.

Back when they toured around Europe, I got to experience their Uyuu no Sora (over 10-min version) + Hemimetabolism - combo which ain't really shabby tbh. However, live vibes won't really do much when it comes to getting around some horrendous, muffled Firewall production values and mishmash. In this case Uyuu no Sora serves no particular purpose studio-wise  ,and Hemimetabolism is just way too off - even as a sole track.

As much as I enjoy their live artistry (sans Kyo's inability to express his studio self), I'd love to see e.g. Takumi's free-jazz moments w/ his piano or overall backup prominence channeled in a studio atmosphere rather than being another live jam-kind of thing.

P.S. Kyo needs to keep his word and prove that he is not necessarily the "main figure" in the band (since he himself admitted that Takumi *is (was)* the essence of Sukekiyo). Takumi and co. need more spotlight - without goofy Kyoperas, thanks.

im with pretz in that immortalis is kind of a messy clusterfuck, there are so many amazing composers in the band and i totally think it'll take a while before they find their "sound". even so, they clearly know what they're doing--the new singles are gonna slay.

i love hemimetabolism, the atmosphere is awesome--i kinda see it as a companion piece to aftermath.

mama is the tefutefu that immortalis needed, i don't find it happy sounding at all but i agree that its a good break from the ~moodier pieces on the album

kyo will never stop whoring the attention from the rest of the guys, i wish but NAH