enyx

sukekiyo

6 hours ago, Tokage said:

Some of those INFINITUM tracks sound better/more refined live than their studio versions imo

BRO. I have loved INFINITUM since it's release, but goddamn if these versions don't get me hyped.

So the two discs are the same set, but disc one has more video editing effects over it + lyrics and disc two has a 'documentary' that it just rawer footage of some of the songs? Am I missing something?

Nope, that's exactly what it is.

Disc I is the full show with special effects.

Disc II is the full  show w/o special effects (I think, haven't watched it completely) and snippets from each of the FORTY tour shows.

Disc III is the partial audio of the show (I ripped my own audio from the first disc already because of that).

Bonus disc is snippets from almost all songs of their NYE live. They included Sesshoku and Valentina, but left out GARA's performances ._.

kimi wa mukidashi was incredibly fun to watch, it was the first track I went to rewatch it! (around 1:00:00) I don‘t know guys, guuzo moratorium which is probably my favorite track off the album did not translate well for me live, all the other infinitum tracks worked fine. however, with elisabeth addict and aftermath, these are tracks that hit you right into your kokoro and made me sentimental about ‚old‘ sukekiyo days...

lol I'm very grateful that this was uploaded since I probably won't be getting my copy for a while yet. I've kind of turned my opinion around on Guzou Moratorium and Hyouhaku Flavor since I've just had the album playing in full lately, and the latter really translates well live. The former is a bit more of a mixed bag live, but the visuals are so cool. I don't think it hits as hard around the midpoint as the studio version does, but I appreciate how much more organic it sounds here. The performances of Nurebairo and Uso are both really nice too, I'm digging how Dorothy translates live as well.

Need to rewatch it, but it's a fun release! I think I might still like Mutans better, but I prefer this one as a whole to Passio.

On 3/12/2020 at 4:47 PM, Tokage said:

Some of those INFINITUM tracks sound better/more refined live than their studio versions imo

Yep. Obviously not the case for all bands, but in initial recording stages not all songs are all that well rehearsed as they only need to get one good take right? But it's in countless rehearsals for the shows and playing multiple gigs that really solidifies the songs so sometimes I kind of wonder if bands should hold off recording until they can perform the songs flawlessly live first. Obviously, that's a bit weird in terms of playing songs live (especially almost a whole album like in Sukekiyo's case) before recording it but maybe the album would be more refined and solid if they took that approach.

2 hours ago, Kabukichoatmidnight said:

Yep. Obviously not the case for all bands, but in initial recording stages not all songs are all that well rehearsed as they only need to get one good take right? But it's in countless rehearsals for the shows and playing multiple gigs that really solidifies the songs so sometimes I kind of wonder if bands should hold off recording until they can perform the songs flawlessly live first. Obviously, that's a bit weird in terms of playing songs live (especially almost a whole album like in Sukekiyo's case) before recording it but maybe the album would be more refined and solid if they took that approach.

I don’t think that’s necessarily the case. I mean bands now rarely go into the studio and record live, everyone records separately and there are multiple takes. The best take is what you’re hearing, or in some cases it’s the best parts of different takes pieced together.  In theory what you’re hearing on studio recordings is the “perfect” version. Things change live because bands can’t always recreate exactly what they did in the studio. 

On 5/21/2020 at 1:51 PM, Saishu said:

I don’t think that’s necessarily the case. I mean bands now rarely go into the studio and record live, everyone records separately and there are multiple takes. The best take is what you’re hearing, or in some cases it’s the best parts of different takes pieced together.  In theory what you’re hearing on studio recordings is the “perfect” version. Things change live because bands can’t always recreate exactly what they did in the studio. 

Mate I know how recording an album works. 😛 But even though what you're saying in theory is correct, I actually disagree and don't believe a "perfect" take exists, let alone a perfect song or album. But if you think about it, that's kind of the point, when you're in a studio, you're only looking to get that one take of that one riff which is "good enough" for the recording and the songs haven't really been rehearsed as a band (at least not to any great length, again this isn't true for all band obviously) but it's after playing that song so many times in a rehearsal/live environment that you really refine your performance of that song and could go into the studio and pull off the entire song from start to finish almost flawlessly with little effort and you only need to go and tidy up the messy parts perhaps. The studio environment doesn't make you always feel at your most relaxed in order to be able to play your best I can guarantee that. 😛

Other thing to bear in mind is the lack of energy. In live shows, there's a symbiosis between the band (which gives) and the crowd (which gives back). Without the crowd providing energy, a recording can become sterile. So even if it's technically 'perfect', it can be insincere or even boring.

13 hours ago, Tokage said:

Not one, not two, but THREE new demotapes dropping sometime very soon apparently ( one of which is Valentina.... nice )

Just saw this. I hope when they say "Demo" they mean basically a finished song like how rongai na ikimono toshite was a "demo"